PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 6

Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:35 pm      Post subject: Grulownik Kołacz (Góral)

Original post edited in hopes to encourage the (now 79) visitors to this thread to participate in a discussion of recipes, memories, or even stories of what might have led them to this post.

Pagach * Pagash * Pagache * Pogacha * Kolats * Kołoc * Kolocs * Kołacz * Kolatz * Poplanuck * Poplanak * Poplanok * Polish Pizza * Slovak Pizza* Pierogi Pizza * Ukrainian Cheese Bread * Grulownik * Frgal * Frgaly

Finally! I believe I’m on the path to discovering the roots and a proper name for one of our most brilliant Polish, Polish-American comfort and Lenten foods! Though, I do not believe this specialty, in its execution, to be solely indigenous to Southern Poland. I have met others that have fond memories of this wonderful comfort food that are not of Polish descent.

I created a post some years ago on a potato cheese bread type recipe that reportedly has several different names and is uniquely prepared, dependent on the family and the ancestry. After the original post, comments, and emails I decided to research the recipe for a point origin as well as an authentic recipe. I scoured Polish, Slovak, Czech, and Ukrainian message boards looking information. What I found were people looking for their family recipe and asking the same questions I was seeking answers for.

Most of the information I found, listed specific ingredients, flavors, memories, and the yearning to find a recipe. While some of the ingredients varied, the three common ingredients were a breaded crust, potatoes, and cheese. What differed was savory vs sweet.

The people who posted these threads of information, ingredients, and memories reported that their families fondly referred to this specialty as kołacz (kołoc, kolatz, kolats). Most Polish sites maintained that our recipes/memories were misguided since we were a distance of decades from our Polish-born ancestors stating that our language and memories were distorted over time. This was certainly a disappointment that left me and other contributors at an impasse. While frustrating, I was not about to give up on my search.

I searched recipe after recipe using the term kołacz and the various spellings without success. A year or so later another universal piece of information presented itself - this was a food of the peasants (Górals). I changed my search parameters, using what information I had and finally found an article that linked this recipe to Southern Poland. You can find that article here: http://potrawyregionalne.pl/289,Spotkania.htm?action=more&id=8103

I’ve been researching this recipe for over ten years as a hobby and not very diligently, I might add. I can’t quite blame my lack of diligence on the decade long search as much as I can attribute it to not having proper terminology and the lack of recipe submissions/information on the Internet. Just recently, I found dozens of new recipes and links to neighboring counties that covet a comparable form of this delicious dish as well.

My search will continue.

I hope that my efforts will encourage others to share their recipes, memories, traditions and stories so they may be well documented, passed on and researchable for our future generations of ancestors. This is the most valuable lesson I learned from my search.

I will add the links to several the sites below.
http://podhaleregion.pl/index.php/spoleczenstwo/116-wypoczynek-i-turystyka/23436-grulownik-soldra-i-swieconka-spiskie-potrawy-kandyduja-na-liste-produktow-tradycyjnych
https://www.doradcasmaku.pl/przepis-grulownik-220913
https://www.gov.pl/web/rolnictwo/grulownik-twaroznik-spiski
https://www.facebook.com/coalregionconnections/posts/poplanok-pampushki-pagash-3-meatless-friday-ethnic-dishes-that-have-deep-coal-re/473150379504621/
http://bolozaurowesmaczki.blogspot.com/2016/11/koacz-czyli-duza-drozdzowka-z-serem.html
https://severnimorava.travel/pl/co-delat/jidlo-a-piti/regionalni-speciality/frgal
http://kuchniazwyrakiem.blogspot.com/2015/03/valassky-frgal-wooski-koocz-frgale.html

IMG_1253.JPG
 Description:
Grulownik Kołacz made with potatoes, Longhorn Colby cheese, and onions
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

IMG_1253.JPG

Send e-mail
SSA

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:38 am      Post subject:

Updating with a recently discovered recipe.

Source: http://czarnagora24.pl/wp-content/uploads/Kuchnia_spska_-_To_lubi___-_potrawy_m__czne.pdf

Składniki:
2 szklanki cukru,
½ kg ugotowanych i zgniecionych ziemniaków,
½ kilograma białego sera przemielonego,
3 jajka,
1 ½ szklanki cukru,
ciasto chlebowe,
Sposób wykonania:
Wszystkie składniki dobrze
wymieszać i wyłożyć na ciasto
chlebowe na blasze. Piec w 150oC
ok. 1 h.

Translation courtesy of Google Translate

Ingredients:
2 cups of sugar,
½ kg of boiled and crushed potatoes,
½ kilogram of milled white cheese,
3 eggs
1 ½ cup sugar,
bread dough,
Method of implementation:
All ingredients well
mix and put on the dough
on a baking sheet. Bake at 150oC
about 1 hour
Send e-mail
SSA

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 am      Post subject:

Internet Search Landing Page/Source: "Małopolska wies bogata w produkty lokalne i rekodzieło ludowe"
leaderorawa.pl/wp-content/uploads/FOLDER-PROD-trad-Orawy-2019.pdf

GRULOWNIK / TWOROŹNIK
Składniki:
ciasto chlebowe
• mąka pszenna typ 550 – 0,5 kg
• ziemniaki ugotowane - 0,25 kg
• ziemniaki surowe – 0,15-0,2 kg - opcjonalnie
• drożdże świeże – 15-20 g
• sól – pół łyżeczki
• letnia woda (o temperaturze ok. 30ºC):
• - 200-300 ml na przygotowanie zaczynu,
• - 300-500 ml do wyrobienia ciasta
• (wg uznania tyle, aby ciasto nie było zbyt rzadkie)
Składniki:
farsz
• ziemniaki ugotowane – 0,4-0,5 kg
• ser twarogowy – 0,3-0,5 kg
• jajko - 1 sztuka
• kwaśna śmietana (dawniej kwaśne mleko) – 1 łyżka stołowa
• mąka pszenna typ 550 – 1 łyżka stołowa
• cukier kryształ – 0,1-0,2 kg
(w zależności od indywidualnych preferencji)
• cukier waniliowy lub cynamon – do smaku
(przeciętnie 1 łyżeczka)
• masło - 20-50 g - opcjonalnie
Przepis:
Ziemniaki należy obrać ze skórki, umyć, zalać w garnku zimną
wodą, ugotować do miękkości, a następnie odcedzić i gorące przecisnąć przez praskę. W dalszej kolejności całość podzielić na 2 części:
na farsz i na ciasto - proporcja ziemniaków wynosić powinna 2:1.
Do mniejszej części ziemniaków należy dolać letniej wody (ok. 200-
300 ml) i całość wymieszać. Następnie do przestudzonej, ale nie
zimnej masy należy dodać drożdże i część mąki (ok. pół szklanki)
– aby po wymieszaniu masa miała konsystencję gęstej śmietany.
Przygotowany w ten sposób zaczyn należy pozostawić w ciepłym
misce do wyrośnięcia na ok. 2,5 godziny. Po wyrośnięciu zaczynu
należy przygotować ciasto chlebowe (można dodać starte surowe
ziemniaki) dodać resztę mąki pszennej, letnią wodę (ok. 300-500 ml),
sól i wyrobić ciasto.
Przygotowanie farszu: do pozostałej części ziemniaków dodać biały
ser (twaróg, śmietanę (dawniej kwaśne mleko), jajko, cukier i cukier waniliowy oraz niekiedy cynamon, opcjonalnie również masło.
Wszystkie składniki należy wymieszać najlepiej ręcznie, do uzyskania jednolitej masy. Następnie wyrośniętym ciastem wykłada się spód
oraz boki brytfanki posmarowanej masłem, a na niego przygotowany
farsz . Na koniec wierzch ciasta i farszu należy posmarować mlekiem lub jajkiem roztrzepanym z mlekiem i piec w temperaturze 180-
200ºC) ok. 1 godzinę.
Tradycja i historia:
Na Polskim Spiszu „grulownik-tworoźnik” był jednym z podstawowych, tradycyjnych wypieków, wyrabianych zarówno w ciągu roku,
jak również na uroczystości rodzinne i święta. Podawano go również
podczas chrzcin czy wesel (np. w czasie zrynkowin), najczęściej
z kawą zbożową. Pieczono go zazwyczaj równocześnie wraz z chlebem. Używanie nazwy „grulownik” bądź „tworoźnik” uwarunkowane
było przeważającym udziałem jednego ze składników w wypieku –
ziemniaków (gruli) lub twarogu. „Grulownik – tworoźnik” w przeszłości
był jednym z nielicznych dań na słodko jakie przyrządzano na Spiszu.

Ingredients:
bread dough
• wheat flour type 550 - 0.5 kg
• boiled potatoes - 0.25 kg
• raw potatoes - 0.15-0.2 kg - optional
• fresh yeast - 15-20 g
• salt - half a teaspoon
• lukewarm water (at a temperature of about 30ºC):
• - 200-300 ml for grout preparation,
• - 300-500 ml to make a dough
• (at the discretion so much that the dough is not too thin)
Ingredients:
stuffing
• boiled potatoes - 0.4-0.5 kg
• cottage cheese - 0.3-0.5 kg
• egg - 1 piece
• sour cream (formerly sour milk) - 1 tablespoon
• wheat flour type 550 - 1 tablespoon
• crystal sugar - 0.1-0.2 kg
(depending on individual preferences)
• vanilla sugar or cinnamon - to taste
(average 1 teaspoon)
• butter - 20-50 g - optional
Recipe:
Potatoes should be peeled, washed, poured cold in a pot
with water, cook until soft, then strain and hot press through. Then divide the whole into 2 parts:
for stuffing and dough - the ratio of potatoes should be 2: 1.
To the smaller part of potatoes should be added lukewarm water (approx. 200-
300 ml) and mix. Then to cool, but not
cold mass, add yeast and some flour (approx. half a cup)
- that after mixing the mass has a thick cream consistency.
The leaven prepared in this way should be left warm
bowl to rise for about 2.5 hours. After the leaven has risen
a bread dough should be prepared (raw grated may be added)
potatoes) add the rest of the wheat flour, lukewarm water (approx. 300-500 ml),
salt and knead the dough.
Preparation of the stuffing: add white to the remaining potatoes
cheese (cottage cheese, cream (formerly sour milk), egg, sugar and vanilla sugar, and sometimes cinnamon, optionally also butter.
All ingredients should be mixed by hand, until a homogeneous mass is obtained. Then the bottom of the cake is laid out
and the sides of the pan smeared with butter, and prepared for it
stuffing. Finally, the top of the dough and stuffing should be smeared with milk or an egg beaten with milk and baked at 180-
200ºC) approx. 1 hour.
Tradition and history:
In the Polish Spiš, "potato grinder" was one of the basic traditional baked goods made both during the year,
as well as for family celebrations and holidays. He was also served
during baptisms or weddings (e.g. during zynowków), most often
with cereal coffee. It was usually baked simultaneously with bread. Using the name "Potato" or "Creator" conditional
was the prevailing share of one of the ingredients in baking -
potatoes (potatoes) or cottage cheese. "Potato Grinder" in the past
was one of the few sweet dishes that was made in Spisz.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Polish cuisine All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: