PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:08 pm      Post subject: Ks. Wacław Szczotkowski (1872-1930) - Assistance with Record

A Great Uncle of mine was a priest. His name was Waclaw Szczotkowski. His biography is below. I would like to find someone who can go to the Archives of the Archdiocese of Czestochowa and take pictures of the content of his folder for me and then email the pictures to me. I am particularly interested in seeing if there is more information that might be available in a personal journal that is referenced as “autobiography” in the historic summary that is provided. I am very interested in reading his thoughts if that is available.

I also want to understand if Father Szczotkowski’s time in Wistka was in the Wistka that is close to Wloclawek. Based on my family history that would make the most sense, but I want to confirm as there are a number of towns named “Wistka” in Poland.

Please let me know if there is someone I can contact to help. I live in the United States so visiting is not possible at this time. I did contact the Archives via mail and the priest said that the only way possible to view the folder and take pictures is by going on site.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Dave Jablonka

Ks. Wacław Szczotkowski (1872-1930)

Urodził się w Puławach dnia 22 września 1872 r. w rodzinie Aleksandra herbu Jastrzębiec, radcy dworu, starszego referenta Wydziału Ubezpieczeniowego w Magistracie miast Warszawy, obywatela miasta Włocławka, i Kazimiery Kolbe von Wartenberg. Po ukończeniu sześciu klas V gimnazjum filologicznego w Warszawie wstąpił do Seminarium Duchownego we Włocławku w r. 1890. Skąd został wysłany do Rzymu na Uniwersytet „Gregorianum” i dopiero po powrocie otrzymał święcenia kapłańskie z rąk bpa Bereśniewicza w dniu 27 stycznia 1895 r. Jako wikariusz pracował w Zagórowie (1895-1896), Koninie (1896-1897), Warcie (1897 r.), Błaszkach (1897-1898), Cieszęcinie (1898-1899), Błennie (1899-1900) i Kowalu (1900-1901). Proboszczem zostaje w 1902 r. w Wistce, gdzie pracuje do r. 1905. Stąd przechodzi do parafii Łowiczek, a po dwóch latach do Kwiatkowic (1907-1909). Na dalsze cztery lata przenosi się do Niedośpielina, aby w r. 1913 objąć probostwo w Rzejowicach, na którym pozostał aż do zgonu. Tu z prac materialnych trzeba zanotować nowy dach na Polowie kościoła, wybudowanie nowej stodoły z papowym dachem. W trosce o oddalone od kościoła wioski postarał się o gruntowny remont kaplicy w Przerębie oddalonym o 8 km, gdzie co drugi tydzień regularnie odprawiano nabożeństwa. Tę regularność przerwała choroba, z której sam się usprawiedliwiał w 1927 r., pisząc, że każdą wolną chwilę musi wykorzystać na odpoczynek. Jak podał w swym życiorysie, był „wzrostu więcej niż średniego, oczy szaro niebieskie, włosy siwe”. Zmarł w Rzejowicach dnia 1 grudnia 1930 roku w wieku 58 lat. Pochowany w Rzejowicach.

Walenty Patykiewicz

Bibliografia
Patykiewicz W., Ks. Wacław Szczotkowski (1872-1930), „Częstochowskie Wiadomości Diecezjalne” 36 (1962) nr 5, s. 153.

Translation:

He was born in Puławy on 22 September 1872 in the family of Aleksander of the Jastrzębiec coat of arms, court counselor, senior clerk of the Insurance Department at the Municipal Office of Warsaw, a citizen of the city of Włocławek, and Kazimiera Kolbe von Wartenberg. After completing six classes of the 5th philological gymnasium in Warsaw, he joined the Theological Seminary in Włocławek in 1890. From where he was sent to Rome to the University of "Gregorianum" and only after his return he was ordained a priest by Bishop Bereśniewicz on 27 January 1895. As a vicar he worked in Zagórów (1895-1896), Konin (1896-1897), Warta (1897), Błaszki (1897-1898), Cieszęcin (1898-1899), Błenna (1899-1900) and Kowal (1900-1901) . In 1902 he became a parish priest in Wistka, where he worked until 1905. From here he passes to the Łowiczek parish, and after two years to Kwiatkowice (1907-1909). For the next four years he moved to Niedośpielin, in 1913 to take over the presbytery in Rzejowice, where he remained until his death. Here, from material work, you need to note a new roof in the middle of the church, building a new barn with a tar roof. In the interests of the villages distant from the church, he arranged for a thorough renovation of the chapel in Przeręba, 8 km away, where services were regularly held every other week. This regularity was interrupted by illness, which he justified himself in 1927, writing that he must use every spare moment to rest. As he reported in his biography, he was "of more than average height, gray-blue eyes, gray hair". He died in Rzejowice on December 1, 1930 at the age of 58. Buried in Rzejowice.

Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:50 pm      Post subject:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/2115410
Poland, Częstochowa Roman Catholic Church Books, 1226-1950
Description
Images of church books containing baptisms and births, marriages, burials and deaths for the parishes in the Częstochowa Roman Catholic Dioceses of Poland. Births and marriages end in 1912, and deaths in 1982.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2787

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:45 pm      Post subject: Re: Ks. Wacław Szczotkowski (1872-1930) - Assistance with Re

djablonka wrote:
A Great Uncle of mine was a priest. His name was Waclaw Szczotkowski. His biography is below. I would like to find someone who can go to the Archives of the Archdiocese of Czestochowa and take pictures of the content of his folder for me and then email the pictures to me. I am particularly interested in seeing if there is more information that might be available in a personal journal that is referenced as “autobiography” in the historic summary that is provided. I am very interested in reading his thoughts if that is available.

I also want to understand if Father Szczotkowski’s time in Wistka was in the Wistka that is close to Wloclawek. Based on my family history that would make the most sense, but I want to confirm as there are a number of towns named “Wistka” in Poland.

Please let me know if there is someone I can contact to help. I live in the United States so visiting is not possible at this time. I did contact the Archives via mail and the priest said that the only way possible to view the folder and take pictures is by going on site.

Dave Jablonka

Urodził się w Puławach dnia 22 września 1872 r. w rodzinie Aleksandra herbu Jastrzębiec, radcy dworu, starszego referenta Wydziału Ubezpieczeniowego w Magistracie miast Warszawy, obywatela miasta Włocławka, i Kazimiery Kolbe von Wartenberg. Po ukończeniu sześciu klas V gimnazjum filologicznego w Warszawie wstąpił do Seminarium Duchownego we Włocławku w r. 1890. Skąd został wysłany do Rzymu na Uniwersytet „Gregorianum” i dopiero po powrocie otrzymał święcenia kapłańskie z rąk bpa Bereśniewicza w dniu 27 stycznia 1895 r. Jako wikariusz pracował w Zagórowie (1895-1896), Koninie (1896-1897), Warcie (1897 r.), Błaszkach (1897-1898), Cieszęcinie (1898-1899), Błennie (1899-1900) i Kowalu (1900-1901). Proboszczem zostaje w 1902 r. w Wistce, gdzie pracuje do r. 1905. Stąd przechodzi do parafii Łowiczek, a po dwóch latach do Kwiatkowic (1907-1909). Na dalsze cztery lata przenosi się do Niedośpielina, aby w r. 1913 objąć probostwo w Rzejowicach, na którym pozostał aż do zgonu. Tu z prac materialnych trzeba zanotować nowy dach na Polowie kościoła, wybudowanie nowej stodoły z papowym dachem. W trosce o oddalone od kościoła wioski postarał się o gruntowny remont kaplicy w Przerębie oddalonym o 8 km, gdzie co drugi tydzień regularnie odprawiano nabożeństwa. Tę regularność przerwała choroba, z której sam się usprawiedliwiał w 1927 r., pisząc, że każdą wolną chwilę musi wykorzystać na odpoczynek. Jak podał w swym życiorysie, był „wzrostu więcej niż średniego, oczy szaro niebieskie, włosy siwe”. Zmarł w Rzejowicach dnia 1 grudnia 1930 roku w wieku 58 lat. Pochowany w Rzejowicach.

Walenty Patykiewicz

Bibliografia
Patykiewicz W., Ks. Wacław Szczotkowski (1872-1930), „Częstochowskie Wiadomości Diecezjalne” 36 (1962) nr 5, s. 153.

Translation:

He was born in Puławy on 22 September 1872 in the family of Aleksander of the Jastrzębiec coat of arms, court counselor, senior clerk of the Insurance Department at the Municipal Office of Warsaw, a citizen of the city of Włocławek, and Kazimiera Kolbe von Wartenberg. After completing six classes of the 5th philological gymnasium in Warsaw, he joined the Theological Seminary in Włocławek in 1890. From where he was sent to Rome to the University of "Gregorianum" and only after his return he was ordained a priest by Bishop Bereśniewicz on 27 January 1895. As a vicar he worked in Zagórów (1895-1896), Konin (1896-1897), Warta (1897), Błaszki (1897-1898), Cieszęcin (1898-1899), Błenna (1899-1900) and Kowal (1900-1901) . In 1902 he became a parish priest in Wistka, where he worked until 1905. From here he passes to the Łowiczek parish, and after two years to Kwiatkowice (1907-1909). For the next four years he moved to Niedośpielin, in 1913 to take over the presbytery in Rzejowice, where he remained until his death. Here, from material work, you need to note a new roof in the middle of the church, building a new barn with a tar roof. In the interests of the villages distant from the church, he arranged for a thorough renovation of the chapel in Przeręba, 8 km away, where services were regularly held every other week. This regularity was interrupted by illness, which he justified himself in 1927, writing that he must use every spare moment to rest. As he reported in his biography, he was "of more than average height, gray-blue eyes, gray hair". He died in Rzejowice on December 1, 1930 at the age of 58. Buried in Rzejowice.

Hi Dave,

I can’t help with the files in the archive of the Archdiocese of Częstochowa. However, I can confirm that the parish Wistka was near Włocławek. The village’s name in full is Wistka Szlachecka. If you look at scans of the civil transcripts for that parish during the years he worked there you’ll find his signature as the priest acting as civil registrar. By checking the number of birth, marriage, and death records for each of those years, it is possible to see how heavy the sacramental work load he experienced there. Obviously it is possible to do the same for the other parishes where he worked from the time of his ordination until the end of WWI.

If he was a secular/diocesan priest (which I believe he was) rather than a member of a religious order he worked in parishes of the diocese during his entire career. (A secular priest pledges himself to the bishop of the diocese at the time of his ordination.) The diocese in which he served beginning with his ordination was known as the Diocese of Włocławek and Kalisz aka Kujawsko & Kalisz. The territory of that diocese does not correspond to any of the dioceses prior to the partitions nor to any contemporary diocese. When all the smoke cleared after the Congress of Vienna the Holy See aka Rome instituted major changes to the dioceses of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth as a response to the changes in the boundaries of the areas under the control of Prussia, Russia, and Austria. The logic Rome followed was to not have a diocese which existed within the territory of more than one political entity. The books from the Diocese of Włocławek and Kalisz ended up in the archive of the Archdiocese of Częstochowa because the Diocese of Włocławek and Kalisz was a suffragan see of that archdiocese.

Anyway, the link Henryk provided could make it possible to find his name in official documents from the Diocese of Włocławek and Kalisz. Here is a link to the specific part of what Henryk provided where you are most likely to find him https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9QX-GXQH?owc=9RRR-C6P%3A362228501%2C362228502%3Fcc%3D2115410&wc=9RRR-C65%3A362228501%2C362228502%2C362232801&cc=2115410 The first category, List of parishioners, would be the one you would want. The title is a misnomer. There are no lists of parishioners there. There are some lists of first and last names and those are of priests working in the diocese. They are actually the names of the priests summoned to take part in a retreat at the seminary of the diocese in Włocławek. (You may find the amount in rubles each priest was expected to give to the seminary to offset the cost of food and lodging during the retreat.) Other portions of that film contain letters sent by the bishop to the parishes (which are in Polish or in Russian) and letters sent by the bishop to the members of the clergy (which are in Latin). There is also a section (in Latin) which lists the rules arrived at by a diocesan synod regarding the administration of the sacraments and other practical matters—like the instruction to offer prayers for the Czar. It seems to me that Stanisław Kazimierz Zdzitowiecki (1902–1925), who succeeded Bishop Aleksander Kazimierz Bereśniewicz (who ordained your relative) must have been a forward thinking man. For centuries the RC priesthood in practice was the domain of members of the szlachta, who were literate as opposed to the peasants who were illiterate. Bishop Zdzitowiecki encouraged the priests of his diocese to encourage peasant boys who were literate to consider the priesthood and set up a preparatory seminary in Włocławek designed to prepare them to enroll in the theological seminary.

I learned the above because of curiosity. When Family Search first published the Częstochowa church books I browsed the mislabeled section since many of my ancestors were from the powiat of Włocławek but then learned that there were no lists of parishioners. The other stuff just stuck in my mind.

Attached is a map of dioceses in the Commonwealth prior to the partitions.

I hope the above helps your understanding of the life and times of your great-uncle.

Dave

Administrative_divisions_of_the_Roman_Catholic_Church_in_Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_in_1772.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  542.79 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Administrative_divisions_of_the_Roman_Catholic_Church_in_Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_in_1772.PNG

djablonka

Replies: 45

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:36 pm      Post subject: Re: Ks. Wacław Szczotkowski (1872-1930) - Assistance with Re

dnowicki wrote:
djablonka wrote:

Dave Jablonka

Walenty Patykiewicz

Bibliografia

Translation:

Hi Dave,

I can’t help with the files in the archive of the Archdiocese of Częstochowa. However, I can confirm that the parish Wistka was near Włocławek. The village’s name in full is Wistka Szlachecka. If you look at scans of the civil transcripts for that parish during the years he worked there you’ll find his signature as the priest acting as civil registrar. By checking the number of birth, marriage, and death records for each of those years, it is possible to see how heavy the sacramental work load he experienced there. Obviously it is possible to do the same for the other parishes where he worked from the time of his ordination until the end of WWI.

If he was a secular/diocesan priest (which I believe he was) rather than a member of a religious order he worked in parishes of the diocese during his entire career. (A secular priest pledges himself to the bishop of the diocese at the time of his ordination.) The diocese in which he served beginning with his ordination was known as the Diocese of Włocławek and Kalisz aka Kujawsko & Kalisz. The territory of that diocese does not correspond to any of the dioceses prior to the partitions nor to any contemporary diocese. When all the smoke cleared after the Congress of Vienna the Holy See aka Rome instituted major changes to the dioceses of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth as a response to the changes in the boundaries of the areas under the control of Prussia, Russia, and Austria. The logic Rome followed was to not have a diocese which existed within the territory of more than one political entity. The books from the Diocese of Włocławek and Kalisz ended up in the archive of the Archdiocese of Częstochowa because the Diocese of Włocławek and Kalisz was a suffragan see of that archdiocese.

Anyway, the link Henryk provided could make it possible to find his name in official documents from the Diocese of Włocławek and Kalisz. Here is a link to the specific part of what Henryk provided where you are most likely to find him https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9QX-GXQH?owc=9RRR-C6P%3A362228501%2C362228502%3Fcc%3D2115410&wc=9RRR-C65%3A362228501%2C362228502%2C362232801&cc=2115410 The first category, List of parishioners, would be the one you would want. The title is a misnomer. There are no lists of parishioners there. There are some lists of first and last names and those are of priests working in the diocese. They are actually the names of the priests summoned to take part in a retreat at the seminary of the diocese in Włocławek. (You may find the amount in rubles each priest was expected to give to the seminary to offset the cost of food and lodging during the retreat.) Other portions of that film contain letters sent by the bishop to the parishes (which are in Polish or in Russian) and letters sent by the bishop to the members of the clergy (which are in Latin). There is also a section (in Latin) which lists the rules arrived at by a diocesan synod regarding the administration of the sacraments and other practical matters—like the instruction to offer prayers for the Czar. It seems to me that Stanisław Kazimierz Zdzitowiecki (1902–1925), who succeeded Bishop Aleksander Kazimierz Bereśniewicz (who ordained your relative) must have been a forward thinking man. For centuries the RC priesthood in practice was the domain of members of the szlachta, who were literate as opposed to the peasants who were illiterate. Bishop Zdzitowiecki encouraged the priests of his diocese to encourage peasant boys who were literate to consider the priesthood and set up a preparatory seminary in Włocławek designed to prepare them to enroll in the theological seminary.

I learned the above because of curiosity. When Family Search first published the Częstochowa church books I browsed the mislabeled section since many of my ancestors were from the powiat of Włocławek but then learned that there were no lists of parishioners. The other stuff just stuck in my mind.

Attached is a map of dioceses in the Commonwealth prior to the partitions.

I hope the above helps your understanding of the life and times of your great-uncle.

Dave

Thank you so much for all of the history Dave. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to share your knowledge with me on these matters.
Sincerely, Dave Jablonka

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: