PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
John Ploski
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author

Replies: 48

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:27 am      Post subject:

Metrics from the parish St. Kostka I have already checked . Unfortunately, there is nothing. I will check this address from Syracuse, thank you very much.
Best regards

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:37 am      Post subject: Re: John Ploski

lindqm2 wrote:
Sophia wrote:

Hi,
I looked at that same marriage of John and Anna and thought there are probably too many differences from the John Ploski who Jozef is looking for.
Would you be able to post the census images for Stanislaw Bialczak? In particular, I cannot access the 1925 New York census. But if you could post all 3 of them, it makes it easier to compare them side-by-side.
Not quite ready to give up this search!
Thanks!
Sophia

I had to re-size them in order to upload. Hopefully they are still clear enough. Smile

Thanks! Very helpful.
I found Stan in the 1920 census at the same address. The spelling of his name is rather "creative"; Familysearch indexed him as "Bweweak." By the way, the street name is Judson, not Hudson.
I had hoped to find Jan with him in 1920 but no luck.
Best,
Sophia

Bialczak1920.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  343.46 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Bialczak1920.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:47 am      Post subject:

Jozef, there are two graves for Plasky at Saint Stanislaus Kostka Cemetery in Binghamton, one for Mary and one for Teofil.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/79611571/mary-h_-plasky
zefir454

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:56 am      Post subject:

I saw this person's. How do you think how many cemeteries located in Binghamton? I'd like his grave. I don't know when he died.
lindqm2

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
zefir454 wrote:
I found the marriage record not of John Ploski but of Stanisław Płoski. Who knows, maybe this lead will lead us somewhere?

Hi,

There was a Polish R.C. parish, St. Stanislaus Kostka, a very short distance from Downs Avenue, where both the bride and the groom resided. That is most likely the parish where the marriage took place. The parish merged with several other parishes and is now known as Holy Trinity. Perhaps some useful info could be obtained by contacting the parish (They still have a Mass celebrated in Polish once a month.) Here is a link to the parish https://www.syracusediocese.org/find-a-parish/display/23 The parish had a cemetery (St. Stanislaus) which may also possibly have some info which could aid your research,

Wishing you success,

Dave

No Jan in that cemetery:
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2241762/memorial-search?firstName=&lastName=ploski

I found a passenger manifest for 21 Jul 1913 for a Jozef Ploski born 1860 (Wife Rozalia Ploski) going to meet his cousin Anna Bialczak in New York, NY:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGPD-VYPQ
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:33 pm      Post subject:

lindqm2 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
zefir454 wrote:
I found the marriage record not of John Ploski but of Stanisław Płoski. Who knows, maybe this lead will lead us somewhere?

Hi,

There was a Polish R.C. parish, St. Stanislaus Kostka, a very short distance from Downs Avenue, where both the bride and the groom resided. That is most likely the parish where the marriage took place. The parish merged with several other parishes and is now known as Holy Trinity. Perhaps some useful info could be obtained by contacting the parish (They still have a Mass celebrated in Polish once a month.) Here is a link to the parish https://www.syracusediocese.org/find-a-parish/display/23 The parish had a cemetery (St. Stanislaus) which may also possibly have some info which could aid your research,

Wishing you success,

Dave

No Jan in that cemetery:
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2241762/memorial-search?firstName=&lastName=ploski

I found a passenger manifest for 21 Jul 1913 for a Jozef Ploski born 1860 (Wife Rozalia Ploski) going to meet his cousin Anna Bialczak in New York, NY:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGPD-VYPQ

Hi again,

Just because Jan does not have a memorial on Findagrave it does not necessarily mean that he was not buried in that cemetery. Many individuals don't have Findagrave memorials and plenty are buried in plots without grave markers. A more reliable way to determine whether or not an individual is buried in a particular cemetery is to check the cemetery's burial records and if they are not available online it may be necessary to contact the cemetery office. Attached is the contact info for St. Stanislaus Cemetery.

Dave

Screenshot_2020-03-21 St Stanislaus Kostka Cemetery - Town of Maine, NY Parishes Online.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.33 KB

Screenshot_2020-03-21 St Stanislaus Kostka Cemetery - Town of Maine, NY Parishes Online.png

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:10 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Here is another clue. It is a New York state census from 1915 (see attached). John Plosky is shown to be single and living as a boarder in the home. If you look at the image, you will see the address for him in the census is the same address for the family that precedes him in the list - Peter Plosky and his family.

The age seems to line up for him, and it is the first document that places him in Binghamton, Broome County, New York.

I will keep looking.
Cynthia

1915 NY state census John Ploski crop.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 MB

1915 NY state census John Ploski crop.jpg

Send e-mail
zefir454

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:42 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

Here is another clue. It is a New York state census from 1915 (see attached). John Plosky is shown to be single and living as a boarder in the home. If you look at the image, you will see the address for him in the census is the same address for the family that precedes him in the list - Peter Plosky and his family.

The age seems to line up for him, and it is the first document that places him in Binghamton, Broome County, New York.

I will keep looking.
Cynthia

Thank you very much! I hope it's him. Everything points to it.

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:18 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Jozef, there are two graves for Plasky at Saint Stanislaus Kostka Cemetery in Binghamton, one for Mary and one for Teofil.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/79611571/mary-h_-plasky

Hi Sophia & Cynthia,

Under the spelling Ploski Peter, Mary, & Frank—possibly the same family on the census— have memorials on Findagrave at St. Stanislaus Cemetery. Frank’s date of birth on the stone matches the Frank on the 1915 State Census. The link: https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2241762/memorial-search?firstName=&lastName=ploski&page=1#sr-79667670

Dave
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:32 pm      Post subject:

In case you are interested: the marriage records for Broome County, New York are available online at Family Search for 1908-1935. I checked them and there is no marriage record for John Ploski. Perhaps he married after 1935 or in another county or perhaps he died and never married?

Here is the link in case you want to check my work and look for yourself:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/316039?availability=Family%20History%20Library

best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
lindqm2

Replies: 58

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:56 pm      Post subject:

There was a John Ploski that married an Anna Banas 9Jan1922 in Syracuse.

His WWII Draft Registration says he was born in Wasily Zygny

The 1940 Census and the Draft say he was born in 1895-ish, but I've seen most of my Polish ancestors shave a few years off their age after coming to the states.

Also, I noticed that with my ancestors, many of the dates and months are slightly off on draft registrations.

Hoping this is your guy!

1940 Census_John Ploski_a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB

1940 Census_John Ploski_a.jpg

1922 Marriage.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.35 KB

1922 Marriage.JPG

WWII card.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.15 KB

WWII card.jpg

zefir454

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:10 am      Post subject:

My American colleague Dan Jeski, who is also helping me, sent me this document. This is the 1925 Hudson (Columbia) census. At number 40, John Ploski, 31, and his wife, Helen, 24 are mentioned. This does not match the actual date of birth. However, I assume it could be him.

32849_b094309-00039.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.4 MB

32849_b094309-00039.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:16 am      Post subject:

zefir454 wrote:
My American colleague Dan Jeski, who is also helping me, sent me this document. This is the 1925 Hudson (Columbia) census. At number 40, John Ploski, 31, and his wife, Helen, 24 are mentioned. This does not match the actual date of birth. However, I assume it could be him.

Hi Jozef,
Yes, this does not match his birth year. However, it does agree with when he immigrated (column 8 shows he has been in the U.S. for 15 years, so he arrived in 1910).
Column 10 says he became a naturalized citizen in 1919, in the county court in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Did you expect your John Ploski to have lived in Massachusetts at all?
Sophia
zefir454

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:21 am      Post subject:

Springfield, Massachusetts. Rather, it doesn't suit me. He was still living around New York. It wouldn't fit.
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:33 pm      Post subject:

Hello Jozef,

Some questions for you:

1. You said you had information and records for him from Poland. I saw the 1889 index for his birth in Geneteka (and also for the birth of his siblings). The index shows his parents as Francizek Ploski and Rozalia Kruk (as you told us). Do you have a copy of his birth record that has been translated? If so, can you give us the full date of his birth? There are many people in the USA with the same name of John Ploski living in New York, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. Having the full date of birth could help narrow the search. It was very common for immigrants to travel to nearby counties and even cross state lines for work. He was single when he first arrived, so he could have moved around looking for work. Having his full date of birth would be helpful.

2. Do you have any family stories about him? Sometimes the smallest piece of information can help find him in the USA. A photograph with a studio name and location? A postcard or letter?

What I have learned in my search for Jan Ploski:

1. According to the Hamburg passenger list (see attached), He was traveling with another man, Jan Rudka, from Hamburg to the USA. The New York passenger list for Jan Rudka (see attached) shows he was also from Budy and he was going to his cousin, Stanislaw Bialczak in Wilmington, Delaware. So, Jan Rudka and Jan Ploski were both from Budy, traveling together, and had the same cousin - Stanislaw Bialczak.

2. Stanislaw Bialczak moved from Wilmington Delaware to Binghamton New York between 1910 - 1913. I know this because Jan Ploski arrived in the US in 1910, and I saw a marriage record for Stanislaw Bialczak in Binghamton, NY for 1913. So, he had to move between 1910-1913.

3. The first document that places John Ploski in Binghamton, New York is the 1915 New York State Census that I posted for you earlier in the thread. So it seems likely that Jan Ploski followed his cousin, Stanislaw Bialczyk, to Binghamton.

4. That same 1915 New York State census shows Jan Ploski was living in the same house as Peter Ploski and his family. I don't know how/if they are related.

5. I provided you with the link to the Broome County marriage records for 1908-1935 earlier in this thread. I looked through them all and did not find any marriage record for John Ploski. So, he either: 1. married later than 1935; 2. moved and married in another county or state; 3. died before he ever married; 4. returned to Poland.

That is all I have found. Please let us know if you have his full birth date or any other piece of information that can help narrow the search.

I will post the passenger list images separately.

Best regards,
Cynthia

1910 Jan Ploski Jan Rudka Hamburg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.15 MB

1910 Jan Ploski Jan Rudka Hamburg.jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in the USA and in other countries outside Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Page 2 of 3

Jump to: