PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm      Post subject: BBC article on Polish churches

Hi everyone,
There's a very nice article on the BBC website regarding churches in Poland.
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20200407-the-surprising-story-of-polands-extraordinary-churches
Enjoy!
Sophia
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:50 pm      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,
You’ve changed my mind owe this article. Such churches, which are a lot of, are so distinctive (before the article I’d say strange) that they even have its own nicknames (except of official) given by locals according to their shape. One of such churches in my own town is called the ski jump, I don’t remember its name but every local is aware of what you mean when you use this name. I remember also others from other places which are called a bunker, a spacecraft, a rocket, a turtle and so on. Generally the names referred to the space are predominant.
One could say that it’s ignorance but I wouldn’t. It’s just 44 years of brainwash by totalitarian communist system. When everything done by the state was perfect contrary to achievements of common people and institutions being outside of the system. So, such churches used to be strange not distinctive or outstanding. Such articles are still very important to change the mind of this society. Although I was to young then to even drink a pint of ale, it seems that my generation, not mentioning the older ones, had been effected enough to need to reassess many aspects of our close past.
I’ve admired works of Frank Lloyd, group of Bauhaus or creators of Brasilia but couldn’t imagine that these “space churches” in vicinity built by “anonymous” architects might be put among them. I’ve already understood that. Thanks for this link, it’s never too late to change its own mind.
Best regards
Piotrek
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:37 am      Post subject:

Piotr Zelny wrote:
Hi Sophia,
You’ve changed my mind owe this article. Such churches, which are a lot of, are so distinctive (before the article I’d say strange) that they even have its own nicknames (except of official) given by locals according to their shape. One of such churches in my own town is called the ski jump, I don’t remember its name but every local is aware of what you mean when you use this name. I remember also others from other places which are called a bunker, a spacecraft, a rocket, a turtle and so on. Generally the names referred to the space are predominant.
One could say that it’s ignorance but I wouldn’t. It’s just 44 years of brainwash by totalitarian communist system. When everything done by the state was perfect contrary to achievements of common people and institutions being outside of the system. So, such churches used to be strange not distinctive or outstanding. Such articles are still very important to change the mind of this society. Although I was to young then to even drink a pint of ale, it seems that my generation, not mentioning the older ones, had been effected enough to need to reassess many aspects of our close past.
I’ve admired works of Frank Lloyd, group of Bauhaus or creators of Brasilia but couldn’t imagine that these “space churches” in vicinity built by “anonymous” architects might be put among them. I’ve already understood that. Thanks for this link, it’s never too late to change its own mind.
Best regards
Piotrek

Hi Piotrek!
Thank you for writing this. I am glad you had an open mind, and now you see your "ski jump" is not strange, instead it is brave, bold, distinctive! I love these unusual church buildings. I think they demonstrate courage in design, and innovation in how to build.
Best regards,
Zosia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: