PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:31 am      Post subject: Piasecki and Gajewski Family research

I am fairly new to genealogy and I am having trouble figuring out how to find birth, death, etc. records in Poland. I am looking for information on the Piasecki family whom I think is from the Kaletnik area; and the Gajewski family from the Goniondz area (I believe). If anyone is able to lead me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!
Also what would the Catholic Churches be in both of those towns? I understand that I need to know the Parish but i am having trouble figuring this out.
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:36 pm      Post subject:

Since there is more than one village with the same name, I assume you refer to these ones, because they are located about 55 miles from each other.
Kaletnik, gmina Szypliszki, powiat suwalski, woj. podlaski
Gonia~dz, gmina goniad, powiat moniecki, woj. podlaskie, 1961 souls.
check mapa.szukacz.pl

Records less than 100 years old are kept in the Civil Register Offices (USC=Urzad Stanu Cywilnego) or in the parishes.
Records older than that are kept in the State Archives (AP = Archivum Panstwowe) or in the AD = Archivwum Diecejalne
check http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~polwgw/dioceses.html for parishes
Goniadz belongs to Byalistok. See http://www.archibial.pl/parafie.php?par=70
check http://www.archiwa.gov.pl/en/archiwa-pastwowe/98-mapa.html?template=archiwa_home for state archives

LDS microfilms for Kaletnik:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/printing/titledetailsprint.asp?titleno=94283
LDS microfilms for Goniadz: I could not find.

Gilberto
Send e-mail
Ute
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 593

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:03 am      Post subject: Re: Piasecki and Gajewski Family research

Welcome to PolishOrigins! Gilberto gave you some good leads already. Kaletnik in the Suwalki district was part of the Russian Empire before WWI and belongs to Poland today. You’ll find more information about Kaletnik here: http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~community~-506410 ).

You seem to be a little insecure about the places the Piasecki and Gajewski families originally came from. Did you find Kaletnik and Ganionsk when searching Ellis Island Passenger Records or is it from family records and family information? The classic way is to collect as many records and information as possible about our ancestors in the United States and then to work our way backwards from there. Church marriage records, census records, death certificates, obituaries, petitions for naturalization, to name just a few, are the most important sources of information in the US. Also, if you find ancestors at the Ellis Island site, that will give you some information on their last residence, who they stayed with in the 'old country', who they were going to join in the US, and so on. Immigrants often joined relatives who brought them over to America and helped them by paying the passage. Often you’ll find these people’s passenger records also with information on their last residence and who they stayed with before emigration, who they joined in the US, and so on. If you are persistent and have patience, you'll eventually be able to put the pieces to the puzzle together, find out how the families are connected, and come closer to tracking down the exact place they originally came from before ordering microfilms or writing to parishes in Poland. It can be a long way, but it is definitely worth it.

I found some Piasecki and Gajewski emigrants from Kaletnik resp. Ganionsk in the New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924. I don't know how much research you have done already, and if there is a connection between the immigrants listed below and your ancestors, but I thought I share the information with you:

A Jan Preszecky, 21 years old, single, farm laborer, traveled to the US on board of the steamship President Lincoln that left Hamburg, Germany on 1 Oct 1910 and arrived at the port of New York on 13 Oct 1910. His place of birth and last residence abroad was with his father Franciszek Prezecky in Kaletnik, Russia, his destination in the US was Wilkes Barr, PA where he was going to join Wladyslaw Orlowski at Willow St. who had also paid his passage. Wladislaw Orlowski is indexed as his brother-in-law, although Jan is indexed as being single in the passenger record.

A Pjotr Prascki, 29 years old, married, laborer, ethnicity Polish, traveled to the US on board of the steamship ‘The Potsdam’ that left Rotterdam, Holland on 23 Apr 1904 and arrived at the port of New York on 3 May 1904. His last residence was Kaletnik, his destination in the US was Wilkes Barr, PA where he was going to join his cousin Simon Wonsewicz at 24, Shesdon Street. Pjotr had been in the US/Wilkes Barr before in 1899 and 1903.
There is also a passenger record for a 17 year old ‘Lymon Wonsewicz’, laborer, who arrived in the US on May 11, 1895. They traveled in a group of three, the others were Cyryla Wroblew, 21 years old, Franz Kimszal, 25 years old, their destination in the US was Hill Creek?? (unfortunately, no further information).

A Gajewski family from Ganionsk traveled to the US on board of the steamship Pretoria that left Hamburg, Germany on 8 Apr 1907 and arrived at the port of New York on 24 Apr 1907: Wladislaw Gajewski, 30 years old, married, farm laborer, nationality Russia, ethnicity Polish; ‘Stepfania’ Gajewski, 20, married, housewife, nationality Russia, ethnicity Polish, and ‘Sopfia’ Gajewski, 1 year 6 months old. Their destination in the US was Freeland, PA where they were going to join Wladislaw Gajewski’s father-in-law Jan Tulanowski* at Adams, Luzerne County, who had paid their passage: They had been in the US/Freeland, PA before in in 1900/1906, their daughter was born in Freeland, PA. Their place of birth and last residence abroad are hard to read in the original passenger record, the place of birth looks like Dewaori, the last residence looks like Gantowak, but is indexed as Ganionsk in the New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924.
*A Josef Tulanowski, 20 years old, single, farm laborer, traveled to the US on board of the steamship ‘The Oldenburg’ that left Bremen, Germany on 7 March 1910 and arrived at the port of New York on 20 March 1910. His place of birth and last residence abroad was with his father Andrzej Tulanowski in Goniandz, Russia, his final destination in the US was Freeland, PA where he was going to join his uncle Jan Tulanowski at Adams Street, 524 who had paid his passage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: