PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:30 am      Post subject: Leszkiewicz

I need help finding my great great grandfather Jozef Leszkiewicz baptism record in Gąbin. I have found his brother and sister in Geneteka both born in Gąbin, which is where my grandfathers passenger manifest and draft records stated he was from as well.

I know that the time frame he was born is not in Geneteka, but I'm pretty sure I looked in all the years going back to 1885 in the Family Search scans. I'm perplexed as to why I can't find him.

His father was born in Suserz Parish, so I checked those records too. I feel like I've gotten really good at reading the indexes in Russian, but maybe I missed it? I found the baptism and marriage records for almost all the family members back to Jakub Leszkiewicz born abt 1754. Jozef is the only one I can't find.

Tomasz Leśkiewicz (1863-1936?) married Franciszka Krauze (1870-1924) in 1888 (Jozef's parents)
Aleksander Leśkiewicz born 1889 (AKT 66)
Jozef Leśkiewicz born 10Feb1895 (according to his U.S. records)
Anna Leśkiewicz born 1906 (AKT 106)

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! Very Happy
mcdonald0517
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 619

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:38 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I did some looking around in Geneteka and discovered they had another child, Helen, who was born and died in Zychlin (Lodz) in 1898. I checked the online records for Zychlin and found her record (see link). I looked further in the books, but could not find any more records for them in Zychlin. Attached is a map showing the relationship among the villages of Zychlin, Gabin, and Suserz. Below is the link to Helen's birth record (AKT #39).

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&zs=1757d&sy=1898&kt=1&plik=039-042.jpg#zoom=1&x=0&y=0

This tells me they traveled around: from Suserz to Gabin to Sychlin (Lodz) and back to Gabin. If I were looking for his birth record, I would check the parish books for the neighboring gminas for all three villages.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search
Cynthia

map of villages.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.73 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

map of villages.jpg

Send e-mail
lindqm2

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:19 pm      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

I did some looking around in Geneteka and discovered they had another child, Helen, who was born and died in Zychlin (Lodz) in 1898. I checked the online records for Zychlin and found her record (see link). I looked further in the books, but could not find any more records for them in Zychlin. Attached is a map showing the relationship among the villages of Zychlin, Gabin, and Suserz. Below is the link to Helen's birth record (AKT #39).

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&zs=1757d&sy=1898&kt=1&plik=039-042.jpg#zoom=1&x=0&y=0

This tells me they traveled around: from Suserz to Gabin to Sychlin (Lodz) and back to Gabin. If I were looking for his birth record, I would check the parish books for the neighboring gminas for all three villages.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search
Cynthia

Thank you so much Cynthia!! This is fascinating! It further corroborates the family lore too. My Uncle says that my great grandfather had told him that Leszkiewicz was a "fake name" because they were blacksmiths and had to flee their hometown because they Russians were after them for making guns for the "enemy" (which was probably the Polish, but they were just doing their job), then they eventually moved back to their hometown. I'm thinking now that maybe they did have a fake name, but Leszkiewicz isn't the fake name. So, Jozef was baptized under a different name OR more likely, born in a different town along the way, like you have suggested. I didn't even think to check outside of Mazowieckie!

This is awesome! Thank you so much!!!

Marsha
mcdonald0517
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 619

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:44 pm      Post subject:

You are very welcome. I am happy to be of help.

BTW here is the link to Helena’s death record in Zychlin

http://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=3&zs=1757d&sy=1898&kt=3&plik=124-129.jpg#zoom=1&x=2361&y=2306

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: