PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:14 am      Post subject: Frank Strzyzynski from "Krianke, Polen"

Hello,
Surname strzyzynski

Frank strzyzynski born in 1848 is my 2nd great grandfather, he came to America in 1873. Nothing is known before he came. The city of residence he listed on the Hamburg passenger list is "Krianke, Polen" which I cant fi d any information on.

Thank you for all your help!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:19 pm      Post subject: Re: Frank Strzyzynski from "Krianke, Polen"

Mistrzyzynski wrote:
Hello,
Surname strzyzynski

Frank strzyzynski born in 1848 is my 2nd great grandfather, he came to America in 1873. Nothing is known before he came. The city of residence he listed on the Hamburg passenger list is "Krianke, Polen" which I cant fi d any information on.

Thank you for all your help!

Hi,
Do you have an image of that Hamburg passenger list? You could upload it here. Perhaps one of us would get a slightly different reading of the place. If you can do it, please upload the whole page and not just his line, so that there is a larger sample of handwriting to study.
Best regards,
Sophia
Mistrzyzynski

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:00 pm      Post subject: frank Strzyzynski

i will attach a picture of his hamburg passenger list and the new york passenger and crew list. Thank you!
Mistrzyzynski

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:02 pm      Post subject:

Is there a special way to upload pictures?
katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:18 am      Post subject:

Mistrzyzynski wrote:
Is there a special way to upload pictures?

Hello,
here is the instruction how to upload the file: https://forum.polishorigins.com/faq.php#39

Best regards,
Katarzyna
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 am      Post subject: Re: frank Strzyzynski

Mistrzyzynski wrote:
i will attach a picture of his hamburg passenger list and the new york passenger and crew list. Thank you!

Hi,

It looks like you may be having difficulty uploading your images, even with the information that Katarzyna provided. I’m sure she would be happy to help you straighten it out. Sometimes it is just a matter of how large the file is; there is a limit to the size they permit you to upload.

Anyway, I may still be able to help you. The Strzyzynski name is not very common, and that is good for a genealogist. There is a website that shows where in Poland people with a given surname live. I am including two spellings of the name for you.

Strzyżyński

http://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Strzy%C5%BCy%C5%84ski

Strzeżyński

http://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Strze%C5%BCy%C5%84ski

It looks as though they are concentrated within what is today the wojewodztwo Kujawsko-Pomorskie and wojewodztwo Wielkopolskie. I would suggest that you take a look at the Poznan Project, here: http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/index.php?lang=en#prettyPhoto

It should give you a good sense of where people with that surname were getting married. Maybe if you look at those town names and compare them with what is written on your 2x great grandfather’s manifest, something will click.

Good luck with your search!
Sophia
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:26 pm      Post subject:

Here is a possibility from Kartenmeister for “Krojanke” in German; “Krajenka” in Polish.

http://www.kartenmeister.com/preview/City.asp?CitNum=17939

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Mistrzyzynski

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:47 am      Post subject:

That is a very good possibility but i searched for the surname strzyzynski, and nothing came up. I might have to wait until things open back up to contact them about records.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:16 am      Post subject:

Mistrzyzynski wrote:
That is a very good possibility but i searched for the surname strzyzynski, and nothing came up. I might have to wait until things open back up to contact them about records.

I don't understand your reply.

Cynthia gave a link to Kartenmeister that I think is an excellent match for your "Krianke" on the ship manifest.
I provided a link to the Poznan project, where there most definitely are records for the surname Strzyzynski.

Anyway, good luck to you.
Sophia
Mistrzyzynski

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:30 am      Post subject:

sorry, I searched in the page for kartenmaster in the box where it says name and nothing came up. I did see that there are many strzyzynski in the poznan project which the many of the entries are of names that have circulated within my family for many generations. I need to get ahold of some records, ie. church, town, etc... to find out franks parents name if they even exist. I appreciate all of the help here!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:40 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I think there is some confusion here...

The Kartenmeister database is NOT a surname search. It is a database that searches for village names in the former Prussian areas of Poland. If you just click on the link I provided earlier, it will take you directly to the entry for the village of Krojanke/Krajenka. If you cannot do that, then I have attached an image of the entry for that village below. It tells you the locations of the Catholic parish, the Evangelical parish, and the Civil registry among other information.

Also, do you have a subscription to Ancestry.com? If so, there are documents for Frank in Ancestry. There are also several family trees that have him included.

Attached is the Hamburg passenger list, and a Michigan death record for Frank that shows his father as Walentine (Valentine in English, Walenty in Polish, Valentinus in Latin) Strzyzynski. His mother is listed as "unknown" in the death record which only means the person reporting the information didn't know or couldn't remember the name of his mother.

So, now you have these clues to follow up on: Frank Strzyzynski was likely born in Krajenka, Wielkopolska, Poland around 1848. His father's name is Walenty or Valentinus Strzyzynski.

You need to find the vital records for Krajenka to see if you can find his birth record. Family Search has some parish books for Krajenka digitized, but you can only search them from a Family Research Center near you. So you need to go to the Family Search website, go to the page for "research center locations", put in your zip code and see if there is a location near you. If there is a location near you, then you will need to go there in order to view the parish books online. This will all have to wait of course, until the centers re-open (they are all closed due to Covid).

1917 death cert.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  393.68 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1917 death cert.jpg

1873 Passenger list.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  703.93 KB

1873 Passenger list.jpg

Krojanke - Krajenka.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.7 KB

Krojanke - Krajenka.jpg

Send e-mail
Mistrzyzynski

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:46 pm      Post subject:

Ok i see where i made the mistake, I do have a ancestry subscription and i have franks death certificate, and the hamburg passenger lists, and the hull new york crew and passenger list from when he arrived. My dilemma was family history has franks father as john/johann/jan, but the death certificate says different. Frank did have a brother named john and also a son named frank. so my issue was where karanke could be and the proper name spelling or pronunciation. Thank you for everything, When the center opens up i will absolutley be going to research! Thanks again for all your wonderful help!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:58 pm      Post subject:

You are very welcome. I am glad we could clear up the confusion and offer some assistance.

You may already know this: I found a tree on Family Search that has Frank in it, and it shows his parents as: Walentine Strzyzynski and Mary Ann Statowski. Two caveats: there are no records to back up the name of his mother and her surname is most likely anglicized so it would be spelled differently in Polish (Stachowska? Statkowska?)

I saw an obituary online in one of the Ancestry family trees saying he was buried in a Roman Catholic Church, so it seems that was his faith. However, if you can't find him in the Krajenka RC Church records, I suggest you also look into the Evangelical church records. I also have ancestors for the former Prussian areas of Poland, and I found out the hard way that sometimes they switched from RC to Evangelical depending upon political views of the day and on location convenience.

Good luck on your research,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:01 pm      Post subject:

Oops, forgot. Here is one last item:

attached is a screen shot from a Polish Parishes database. In case you have to contact the RC Church directly, it has the contact information (address and phone).

Best,
Cynthia

Krojanke - Krajenka parish.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  211.83 KB

Krojanke - Krajenka parish.jpg

Send e-mail
Mistrzyzynski

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:31 am      Post subject:

You are amazing!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: