PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 215

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:30 pm      Post subject: Poles in the Prussian Army

My 4th great grandfather, Johann Kieber had two children who I have identified that were born 1803 and 1807. His oldest daughter, my 3rd g.grandmother was born 1803. On her 1835 2nd marriage record, her father is listed as "deceased sergeant of Prussian Army who died in Prussia." It does not say when he died, and my attempts to uncover a death record have been unsuccessful. On her 1st marriage record of 1826, to my 3rd g.g., it names her father and states that the bride lives with her mother, which I believe infers he is already deceased.

So I am bracketing his death between 1809 - 1826.

I realize it is impossible to say, but I wonder if he might have been conscripted to march in Napoleon's Russian campaign around 1813-1815?

I wonder if anyone might be aware of any muster rolls that might be searched. I've searched for Prussian military records, but am coming up empty.

It's an interesting period in Polish history, and I am very interested to hear from anyone who might have some insights into this.

As always, many thanks for any insights and ideas!

Joe

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:27 pm      Post subject:

Hi Joe,

Hope you are well....

I don’t know how much research you have done so far regarding Prussian military records.... here is an article with some basic information

https://pommerscher.org/cpage.php?pt=92

Here is another article with basic info

https://www.worldgenweb.org/deuwgw/resources/prussiamilitary.htm

From what I gather, military registrations for Prussian Army were handled at a local level. Do you know the name of the village where he lived? If so, look it up in Meyers Gazetteer online.

https://www.meyersgaz.org/

One of the descriptive categories for each village in that database is the place of military registry:

“ BKdo Osterode: The Bezirkskommando is the District Military Command. You can look in the BKdo to find military records”

I will Also look at some documents that were given to me when we were in Poland couple years ago. I think one of them has some online military lists...

Good luck in your search,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 pm      Post subject:

Great leads here, Cynthia...thank you very much! This will keep me out of trouble for a while! Smile

Best,
Joe

Henryk
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 313

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:28 pm      Post subject:

The Great Duchy of Warsaw took in 1807, from the Prussian Partition, the Poznan part and the Warsaw part. The northern part remained in Prussia. In 1815, the Poznan part was returned to Prussia. The Warsaw part went to Russia.

Great Duchy of Warsaw.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  263.15 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Great Duchy of Warsaw.png

JGwizdowski
PolishOrigins Patron

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:19 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for this great map. It really shows the extent of the Prussian territories of that period! Very interesting!
adame24

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:11 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi Joe,

Hope you are well....

I don’t know how much research you have done so far regarding Prussian military records.... here is an article with some basic information

https://pommerscher.org/cpage.php?pt=92

Here is another article with basic info

https://www.worldgenweb.org/deuwgw/resources/prussiamilitary.htm

From what I gather, military registrations for Prussian Army were handled at a local level. Do you know the name of the village where he lived? If so, look it up in Meyers Gazetteer online.

https://www.meyersgaz.org/

One of the descriptive categories for each village in that database is the place of military registry:

“ BKdo Osterode: The Bezirkskommando is the District Military Command. You can look in the BKdo to find military records”

I will Also look at some documents that were given to me when we were in Poland couple years ago. I think one of them has some online military lists...

Good luck in your search,
Cynthia

Cynthia,

Thanks for the information. My ancestor was born in 1866 and lived in Trzemeszno. According to Myers Gazette his village belonged to the military command "Bkdo Rawitsch". I am trying to find the corresponding unit or regiment that he served. Apparently they are in the appendix of the publication. Do you know how to look this up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: