PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:48 am      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
hi dave!

i am confused, as usual.

Hoping you can help me decipher the attached german record.

It came up in familysearch as the baptism of Teresia Berizzi (to Joseph Berizzi and Teresia Maria Lederle). However, normally the name on the right side is the name of the individual getting baptised and as you can see it's not.

Joseph and Teresia were married in 1830 and this is 1827 so the "illegit" makes sense but I can't figure it out

Hi Andrew,

It seems that some of your confusion arises from the fact that the record was edited after the baptism was first recorded. At the time the entry was first composed the father, Joseph Berizzi, was not present at the baptism and he and the mother, Theresa Lederle, were not married and thus he was not named as the father and their child was illegitimate. When the parents were not married the father’s name only was entered if he showed up and acknowledged paternity. Since scientific paternity tests had not been developed it makes sense that the alleged father had to acknowledge paternity for his name to be recorded as the father. (Otherwise, the mother or her relatives or friends could claim that so and so was the father without offering proof.) The original entry was modified when Joseph acknowledged paternity and the couple married. After the wedding the child’s status retroactively became “legitimate”. The person who indexed the record for Family Search indexed it as it had been amended, not as it was originally entered.

I entered the given names of individuals in the record in their English version.

I hope this clarifies the record for you.

Dave

Anyway, here is the translation:
Original Entry: Right Column: Number 24 Theresa Lederle, illegitimate
Body of Original Entry: In the year 1827 on the twenty-first day of July Theresa, the illegitimate daughter of Theresa Lederle, the unmarried daughter of the legitimate marriage of Theobald Lederle, an innkeeper in Berg, and of Catherine Mehlern(?), was born at the hour of ten in the morning and was baptized on the same day at the hour of seven in the evening. The male sponsor (the godfather) was Francis Kauter(?), a farmer in Berg, and the female sponsor (the godmother) was Magdalene Lederle, a single woman in Berg.
Signature of the natural father of the child (added at a later date): Berizzi
Signature of male sponsor (godfather)
Signature of female sponsor (godmother)
Signature of priest, the parish administrator

Edits/amendments: Since Joseph Berizzi, the legitimate unmarried son of Louis Anthony Berizzi, a miller in Berg, declared that he was the father and signed and through the subsequent marriage between Theresa Lederle and Joseph Berizzi the child named above was legitimized. I so attest: Müller, the pastor in Berg.
a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:50 pm      Post subject:

now that makes sense! there was so much extra added in I couldn't figure it all out.

thanks for the help dave enjoy your weekend!
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 pm      Post subject:

dave,

please translate bottom left marriage peter berizzi and catharina frank (Germany)

thanks so much

peter anthony berizzi marriage catharina frank 7947281 img 273.jpg
 Description:
marriage
 Filesize:  1.16 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

peter anthony berizzi marriage catharina frank 7947281 img 273.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:20 pm      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
dave,

please translate bottom left marriage peter berizzi and catharina frank (Germany)

thanks so much

Hi Andrew,

Please provide whatever geographical information you have—at a minimum the location of the parish where the marriage took place. This will save me from spending a lot of time trying to figure out places in the record.

Thanks much,

Dave
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:44 am      Post subject:

Germany, Bayern, Rülzheim - Church records

Thanks Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:32 am      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
dave,

thanks so much

Andrew,

Thanks for the geography. Unfortunately, it didn’t help me to identify the town where the marriage took place and where the bride and her parents lived. The title of the church books where the record was found didn’t help to determine the name of the parish where the marriage took place. (Cf. note for more info.)

Most of the entry deals with legal requirements. Some words of the entry are not legible to me due to the tight binding of the register. Anyway, here is the translation.

Dave

In the year which is above (1755) on the 28th day of the month of January, after the three proclamations of the banns had been made in this our parish church and since no impediment had been detected and after the mutual consent had been given beforehand in the presence of the congregation, the single young man Peter Berizzi (illegible due to tight binding) and a merchant of this place (originally) from the Republic of Venice and from the parish of Careno, son of the marriage of Carl/Charles Berizzi and of Anna Maria (illegible—tight binding) and the chaste maiden Catherine Frank, the daughter of (illegible given name—tight binding but from the signature must be Conrad) Frank, a citizen and a merchant of this place, and of his wife M. Rosina Flojs(?), were joined together by me the undersigned pastor of (place name)* in the presence of the witnesses who sign together with me.
{The groom actually was reported to me by the Rev. (Vicar) of the vicariate** to this (illegible—tight binding) ...since from documents remaining with me (illegible—tight binding) namely the prior testimony under oath from Careno that he had not been bound by the impediment of (a prior) marriage.}

Signature of Peter Anton Berizzi, Catherine (Frank), Conrad Frank, witnesses and the parish priest

Notes: *The place name is in its Latin form but not all the letters are legible to me. My best guess at the letters would be V?aorimon?? I was not able to find any place in the region of Germany on contemporary maps which could correspond to the name as written. Unfortunately, it is important since that is where the marriage took place and where the parents of the bride resided. The Foundation for East European Family History Studies has a rather extensive collection of old maps. Possibly an old map will help to identify the location. Here is a link to the site https://feefhs.org/
**a vicariate was a portion of a RC Diocese which was supervised by an episcopal vicar. In some ways it was similar to dekenat (deanery) in Poland.
a4u2fear

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:57 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Dave, i really appreciate it. All your hard work keeps me going in these tough times working on my ancestry.

I don't know how else to help but I found the marriage on familysearch and it was Ruelzheim (BA Germersheim). It's unfortunate all these places have different styles of latin they're using.
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:11 pm      Post subject:

I think I can figure out most of this 1902 marriage record from St Adalbert in Chicago. There are a couple names I can't figure out and need help with. The groom is Joanum Zawadski, whose father was Adalbert and his mother was (unreadable) Graczyk. The bride was Leocadium Rafinska whose father was Thomas and mother was Josephae (unreadable).

Thanks in advance,
Richard Sowa

1902 Lottie Rafinski and John Zawadski marriage a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2 MB

1902 Lottie Rafinski and John Zawadski marriage a.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:56 pm      Post subject:

rsowa wrote:
I think I can figure out most of this 1902 marriage record from St Adalbert in Chicago. There are a couple names I can't figure out and need help with. The groom is Joanum Zawadski, whose father was Adalbert and his mother was (unreadable) Graczyk. The bride was Leocadium Rafinska whose father was Thomas and mother was Josephae (unreadable).

Thanks in advance,
Richard Sowa

Hi Richard,

The given names of the bride and the groom appear in the entry as Joannem (groom) and Leocadiam (bride) which are the Accusative Case of Joannes (Jan/John) and Leocadia (Eng.: Leocadia; Polish: Leokadia). Although many women in the USA used the name Lillian, that is not the literal meaning of the name. It was just an English name which fit better in mainstream American culture at that time. The reason the names appear in the Accusative Case is because they are the direct objects of the verb “conjunxi” (I joined together). The names of the parents of the bride and of the groom are in the Genitive Case (showing possession/origin). The mother of the groom was Stanisława Graczyk. The mother of the bride was Józefa/Josephine Wojtanowska.

I hope this helps you.

Enjoy the holiday weekend.

Dave
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:34 pm      Post subject:

Thanks Dave...as I look at it, I can see exactly what you said...I am glad to have your eyes on this. Penmanship has been all over the map with the records I find, and sometimes I can't figure it out, but in this case your expertise made huge difference for me...Thanks again!
TifaStrife

Replies: 18

Post Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:24 pm      Post subject: Translation

Hello, If you have time, would you ind translating the following for me. This is the marriage record of Carolus Janowski (parents appear to be Nicolai Janowski and Marianne ? (couldn't make out)) and Michilina Sekowska she is the daughter of Maximillian Sekowski and Domicella Sielecka. I could not read any of the other details. I did note that it said Sekowski is nobility -- if you don't mind advising me as well as to where to look next with respect to a noble line I would really appreciate it. Thank you for all your help Smile

Carl and Michilina Marriage Cert.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.02 KB

Carl and Michilina Marriage Cert.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:52 am      Post subject: Re: Translation

TifaStrife wrote:
Hello, If you have time, would you ind translating the following for me. This is the marriage record of Carolus Janowski (parents appear to be Nicolai Janowski and Marianne ? (couldn't make out)) and Michilina Sekowska she is the daughter of Maximillian Sekowski and Domicella Sielecka. I could not read any of the other details. I did note that it said Sekowski is nobility -- if you don't mind advising me as well as to where to look next with respect to a noble line I would really appreciate it. Thank you for all your help Smile

Hi,

I will do the translation this evening. In the meantime please post the names of the two locations at the very top of the record which are partly cut off in the image. (No need to again post the rest of the image.) The second is legible but too much is cut off of the first for the location to be determined.

Thanks.

Dave
TifaStrife

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:48 am      Post subject: Re: Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TifaStrife wrote:

Hi,

I will do the translation this evening. In the meantime please post the names of the two locations at the very top of the record which are partly cut off in the image. (No need to again post the rest of the image.) The second is legible but too much is cut off of the first for the location to be determined.

Thanks.

Dave

Janowski.JPG
 Description:
Thank you so much Dave - I think it says Uhorniki et Mekietynce - Just to be sure I included the image...here is the link to the page as well if it helps :) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RQS-2RY?i=688&cc=1910265&cat=281800
 Filesize:  42.58 KB

Janowski.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation

TifaStrife wrote:

Hi,

Here is the translation. Given names are translated into their Polish equivalents rather than their English form. I hope this aids your research. The marriage record is entered in the columnar format and there are four major divisions of columns. The major divisions also are divided into sub-columns.

I have no personal experience researching nobles. Others on this forum like "sirdan" undoubtedly can give you better research advice than I can. The only advice I can give you is that research of the bride's ancestors most likely would be tied to Starunia since her father was a heir/owner of part of that village. That line is most likely tied to the place of which they were partial owners.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Top of Entry: The villlage of Uhorniki and of Mekietyńce

Major Division #1
Dies et Mensis = Day & Month : 1846, May 21

Major Division #2: SPONSUS = GROOM
Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 1
NOMEN = NAME: Pan* Karol Janowski, a clerk/scribe/secretary of the estate manager from Borszczowa of the circuit/district of Zalesce(?)**, a son born of the legal marriage of Mikołaj Janowski, an estate manager, and of Maryanna née Lassotawa
Religio = Religion
Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Aetas = Age: 21
Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Viduus = Widower: Blank

Major Division #3: SPONSA = BRIDE
NOMEN = NAME: Panna Michalina Sękowska, a noble*** from Starunia of the circuit/district of Stanisławów, a daughter born of the legal marriage of the late Maksymilian, a partial heir in Starunia, and of Domicela née Sielecka
Religio = Religion
Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Aetas = Age: 20
Caelebs = Bachelorette/Maiden: Checked
Vidua = Widow: Blank

Major Division #4: TESTES = WITNESSES:
Nomen = Names: Tomasz Lużecki (&) Leon Dąbrowski
Conditio = Status/ condition of life/occupation: Tinsmith from Stanisławów (&) estate manager/steward from Podluża

Notations in this division: The groom provided a Birth Certificate dated January 16, 1843 Number 17 and the permission of the Pan (i.e.) the landowner) of Mekietyńce dated May 17, 1846 Number 167 and also of the minors and orphans court****.
The bride provided a Birth Certificate dated May 22, 1846 Number 45 and permission of the minors and orphans court for nobles dated May 26, 1846 Number 5304

Final entry: Rev. Dominik Babicki, administrator of the parish, blessed this marriage.

Notes: Pan/Panna/Panni are the Polish equivalents of the Latin titles Dominus/Domina
**Not sure of the Polish version of the place name. Here it appears in Latin adjectival form. The usual method for determining the vernacular version is to drop the suffix -ensis but it is also necessary to have an idea of the geography involved in order to find the accurate vernacular form (e.g. Chicagiensis becomes the stem Chicag but knowing that it refers to a location in the Midwestern USA makes it clear that the place is Chicago. I don’t have that sort of geographic familiarity do determine the vernacular equivalent of Zalescensis.)
***noblis/noble: title applied to the owner of a village—in this case a partial owner.
****instantia pupilaris/minors and orphans court: a division of the Austrian civil legal system which had control over minors and orphans. The age of legal emancipation was not the same as the current age in the USA.
TifaStrife

Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation

Thank you so much Dave for translating -- I looked in Stanislawow and it looks like the possible town would be Zaluze or Zalucze. I really appreciate your time and help - have a great day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 177, 178, 179 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 178 of 274

Jump to: