PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 7

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:12 am      Post subject: In Search of Paul Budzis married to Josephine Rusiecka

I am researching my husbands great grandfather Paul Budzis (04 Mar 1886 - 08 Jun 1966).
He was married to Josephine (04 May 1889 - 23 Jul 1965). I have seen a couple of spellings for her last name. They are Rusiceyka, Ruszecka, Rusiecka.

According to Paul's Pennsylvania Federal Naturalization Records he arrived in New York on or about 14 Jan 1901 from Hamburg but doesn't have the name of the ship or exact date.

It says his last foreign residence is Biliki Russia. Others have told me that must be a general region and not a village/town/city.

Paul's death certificate says his father was Peter and mother unknown.

My husband has done a DNA test with Ancestry.com and shows many of his DNA connections trace back to the Nalbach family line. Based on others research it seems that the Nalbach's may have came from Suwalki.

Apolonia Nalbach
Jan Nalbach / son John Stanley Nalbach
Stanley Nalbach

There is a possiblity that Apolonia, Jan and Stanley were siblings. If not, then they would definitely have to be cousins based on how eight descendants plus my husband tie together.

I am new to researching ancestors in Poland and any information or tips to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Charlotte

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:28 pm      Post subject:

Hello Charlotte,

Welcome to Polish Origins!

I did some investigating in Ancestry.com and found the Naturalization papers you were talking about - actually, I think I found your family tree. I also found census, death index, and military draft records for both WWI and WWII. In the WWII draft registration, he gives his place of birth as "Lukawica Belsh Co." This information was transcribed by the person taking the information verbally, so it is likely that she did not spell the locations correctly.

There are several locations in Poland with the village name of Łukawica. One of them is in what is now called the Podlaskie Voivodeship (province). Suwalki, which is the region of the Nalbach family, is also in Podlaskie province. Also, there is a county near Łukawica called Bielsk county. This Łukawica fits within all of clues you indicated in your original post: near Suwalki where Nalbach family is located, was considered Russia at that time, is a close match to what he provided on his WWII draft record (Lukawica [Łukawica] and Belsh Co. [Bielsk Co.].

I would suggest starting your search in Poland by trying to locate the parish records for:

Łukawica [wukaˈvit͡sa] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Poświętne, within Białystok County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland.[1] It lies approximately 6 kilometres (4 mi) south of Poświętne and 35 km (22 mi) south-west of the regional capital Białystok.

NOTE: the above location information is current. Łukawica could have been in another gmina and county at the time Pawel Budzis was born (1886). I am hoping another member of the community can provide you with that information.

Meanwhile, I will continue to look around,
All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mstigger007

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:06 pm      Post subject:

Thank you.

I have not researched for the actual Polish ancestors long so all this is unfamiliar to me. All input with explanation and pointers is a great help. It gives me a direction to look and not feel that I am looking in the wrong place.

Thank you!

Charlotte

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:46 pm      Post subject:

Hi Charlotte,

You are quite welcome. We help each other in this community and are happy to do so.

When trying to locate ancestors in Poland, it is very important to be sure you have collected all of the USA documentation for them first before trying to look in Poland.

Have you located Paul and Josie's marriage record? The civil marriage license application should have the place of his birth and the names of his parents.

In the 1910 census, they had been married about 2 years (places marriage date to 1908-1909). They probably married in Pennsylvania. Marriage records in PA are by county, and Luzerne, Wyoming, and Lackawanna counties border one another. That was a big coal mining area, and the workers moved around to the different mines. So, I suggest you look for their marriage record in all 3 counties. Getting the marriage record could help you confirm Paul's location of birth in Poland and give you the names of both of his parents.

You could also try requesting their marriage record from the church if you know where they were married.

I will keep looking...
Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mstigger007

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:35 am      Post subject: Paul and Josephine Budzis / Alexander and Anna Budzis

I believe I have found Paul's brother who also located in Old Forge, Pennsylvania.

Both Paul and Alex/Alick/Alexander would have married in Pennsylvania due to them being teenagers when they arrived in the USA. I have not been able to find marriage documents for either Paul or Alex at this time but I am still working on it.

Paul Budzis married Josephine Rusiecka
Alex married Anna Sandrofsky/Sandrowski

Send e-mail
mstigger007

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:18 pm      Post subject:

I have now found Paul's brother. His grandson recently showed up in a new DNS connection.
His brother Alexander/Alick naturalization papers shows he was from Lukowica, Russia.

This ties to what you responded a few months ago.
I still have not been able to find Pennsylvania marriage records for Paul or now Alexander. They both worked in the coal mines and lived in Old Forge, West Wyoming, California and Taylor from census records and other documents.

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello Charlotte,

Welcome to Polish Origins!

I did some investigating in Ancestry.com and found the Naturalization papers you were talking about - actually, I think I found your family tree. I also found census, death index, and military draft records for both WWI and WWII. In the WWII draft registration, he gives his place of birth as "Lukawica Belsh Co." This information was transcribed by the person taking the information verbally, so it is likely that she did not spell the locations correctly.

There are several locations in Poland with the village name of Łukawica. One of them is in what is now called the Podlaskie Voivodeship (province). Suwalki, which is the region of the Nalbach family, is also in Podlaskie province. Also, there is a county near Łukawica called Bielsk county. This Łukawica fits within all of clues you indicated in your original post: near Suwalki where Nalbach family is located, was considered Russia at that time, is a close match to what he provided on his WWII draft record (Lukawica [Łukawica] and Belsh Co. [Bielsk Co.].

I would suggest starting your search in Poland by trying to locate the parish records for:

Łukawica [wukaˈvit͡sa] is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Poświętne, within Białystok County, Podlaskie Voivodeship, in north-eastern Poland.[1] It lies approximately 6 kilometres (4 mi) south of Poświętne and 35 km (22 mi) south-west of the regional capital Białystok.

NOTE: the above location information is current. Łukawica could have been in another gmina and county at the time Pawel Budzis was born (1886). I am hoping another member of the community can provide you with that information.

Meanwhile, I will continue to look around,
All the best,
Cynthia

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:56 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Finding Paul’s brother, Alexander, is just what you needed! I searched for Alexander in Ancestry and found several documents - his death record, naturalization, 1920 census, Hamburg and NY passenger lists, and most importantly, his WW1 draft registration (attached). In his draft record, he lists his place of birth as Lukavitsa, Grodno - which today is in Belarus, but at the time of his immigration, it was Russia.

So, now you need help in finding parish records. Here is a link for Lukawica from Wikipedia Poland. Perhaps another member of the community can tell you where to find records online. You have to copy/paste the following link into your browser for it to work.

https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Łukawica_(Białoruś)

Key points translated from the page are:

“In the interwar period, the village was situated in Poland, in the Białystok Province, in the Grodno County, in the Hoża commune.

According to the 1921 General Census, the village was inhabited by 213 people, all of them were Roman Catholic and declared their Polish nationality. There were 235 residential buildings [1].

The town belonged to the parish of the holy apostles Peter and Paul in Hoża.“

If you want the other documents, send me a private message.

Good luck in your research,
Cynthia

2A7857E0-BB8B-48F8-90D0-261CA2C69041.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  378.2 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

2A7857E0-BB8B-48F8-90D0-261CA2C69041.jpeg

Send e-mail
mstigger007

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:47 pm      Post subject:

Finding a DNA connection that led to a brother Alexander is very key. I hope that more will show up slowly.

Thank you for the offer but I have a subscription on Ancestry and have the census records, death certificates, military records etc. Paul's WWII record shows Belsh County which is more reliable than the Biliki listed on his naturalization papers.

The wikipedia link may explain the Biliki on Paul's naturalization papers. It may be the Bialystock Province.

Thank you for the links and information. Every little piece of information is one step closer to breaking through the wall.

Send e-mail
mstigger007

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:23 pm      Post subject: Paul and Josephine Budzis / Alexander and Anna Budzis

Any help in how to track down the parish records would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I noticed I did not have the Hamburg / New York passenger list for Alexander. Can you tell me how you searched for those to come up? I know I have struggled and had to change search requirements to get the passenger lists to come up in the past.

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:40 am      Post subject:

Hi Charlotte,

Sorry for the late reply. I didn’t see your last post until now.

I don’t recall all the search parameters I used to find the passenger lists, but I do recall broadening the range for year of arrival and using a wild card at the beginning of the surname “*udzis”.

Alex arrived in 1907 not 1906 as his naturalization papers say. Also, the NY list had his surname scanned and indexed as “Rudzias” not “Budzis”.

Alex was traveling to an uncle living in Pittston, PA which is less than 5 miles from OldForge.

His last residence in Poland was Lomza and birth place Lukawica...

See attached.

Cynthia

137361E2-07FF-42AA-98D8-DFF3796E3C0F.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  658.99 KB

137361E2-07FF-42AA-98D8-DFF3796E3C0F.jpeg

73486F82-5958-435D-B175-A486F10FF2D3.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  428.43 KB

73486F82-5958-435D-B175-A486F10FF2D3.jpeg

Send e-mail
mstigger007

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:32 pm      Post subject: Social Security Application

After 6 months, I finally received a copy of Paul's Social Security Application that names both his parents.

They are listed as Peter Budzis and Camille Rogoski

Place of birth is still listed as Biale Stock, Poland

So little bitty pieces of information that hopefully will help eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions to order the SS application.

Social Security - Budzis, Paul.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  469.97 KB

Social Security - Budzis, Paul.jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: