PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:40 pm      Post subject: Contacting local civil records offices.

What are the prospects for contacting local civil records offices for more recent documents like death records for the period 1930-1950? I'm specifically seeking a death record for my 2nd-great-grandmother Ewa Spizarny, who died in Miastkowo (just West of Lomza, podlaskie). She died there sometime during WW2. Should I write the local office in Miastkowo, or the one in Lomza? And would I have better chances writing or emailing them?

By the way, I wrote the Lomza diocese, and they are lacking the necessary books for those years. I also wrote Miastkowo parish (6 months ago), but haven't heard anything back.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

starshadow wrote:
What are the prospects for contacting local civil records offices for more recent documents like death records for the period 1930-1950? I'm specifically seeking a death record for my 2nd-great-grandmother Ewa Spizarny, who died in Miastkowo (just West of Lomza, podlaskie). She died there sometime during WW2. Should I write the local office in Miastkowo, or the one in Lomza? And would I have better chances writing or emailing them?

By the way, I wrote the Lomza diocese, and they are lacking the necessary books for those years. I also wrote Miastkowo parish (6 months ago), but haven't heard anything back.

I can make a phone call to the commune office of Miastkowo, on Monday and ask.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:48 pm      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

marcelproust wrote:

Great! Thank you so much Marcel.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:41 am      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

starshadow wrote:
marcelproust wrote:

Great! Thank you so much Marcel.

I will let You know on Monday.
Your great grandmother was romancatholic?
Will You be able to proove Your affinity?
Please give me more details about your greatgrandmother.

starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:12 am      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

marcelproust wrote:

Sure. My 2nd-great-grandmother Ewa Ciecierska was born Jan 7th 1862 in Miastkowo, to Jozef Ciecierski and Maryanna Swiecka, and was baptized in the Roman Catholic parish there. She married Jan Spizarny on Feb 2nd 1882. They had 6 children, including my great-grandmother Stefania Spizarna in 1897. Her husband Jan died in 1903. I believe she continued to live in Miastkowo, as I have another document saying she still resided there in 1908.

Stefania came to the USA in 1914, and married my great-grandfather Wincenty Chalupczynski. They had 8 children, including my grandmother Angela. Angela married my grandfather Frank Bogdanski.

The story I have heard from my relatives, is that sometime during WW2, my great-grandmother Stefania received a letter from Poland. The letter informed her that her mother Ewa had just died. They remembered her weeping over the letter. So I am presuming Ewa died sometime between 1939 and 1945.

But I am unsure about whether Ewa Spizarny ever remarried. If she did remarry, I have no idea what her new last name might have been. I suppose she might have remained a widow after her husband Jan's death in 1903. But admittedly, 1903 to 1939 does seem like a long time to live alone and support oneself. Or perhaps she lived with one of her other children.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:37 am      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

starshadow wrote:
marcelproust wrote:

Sure. My 2nd-great-grandmother Ewa Ciecierska was born Jan 7th 1862 in Miastkowo, to Jozef Ciecierski and Maryanna Swiecka, and was baptized in the Roman Catholic parish there. She married Jan Spizarny on Feb 2nd 1882. They had 6 children, including my great-grandmother Stefania Spizarna in 1897. Her husband Jan died in 1903. I believe she continued to live in Miastkowo, as I have another document saying she still resided there in 1908.

Stefania came to the USA in 1914, and married my great-grandfather Wincenty Chalupczynski. They had 8 children, including my grandmother Angela. Angela married my grandfather Frank Bogdanski.

The story I have heard from my relatives, is that sometime during WW2, my great-grandmother Stefania received a letter from Poland. The letter informed her that her mother Ewa had just died. They remembered her weeping over the letter. So I am presuming Ewa died sometime between 1939 and 1945.

But I am unsure about whether Ewa Spizarny ever remarried. If she did remarry, I have no idea what her new last name might have been. I suppose she might have remained a widow after her husband Jan's death in 1903. But admittedly, 1903 to 1939 does seem like a long time to live alone and support oneself. Or perhaps she lived with one of her other children.

Thank You for the details.

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:24 am      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

starshadow wrote:
marcelproust wrote:

I spoke with Registry Office official and this woman told me that she remembers that You contacted her. She also told me that the priest from Miastkowo tried to find something.
As far as she remembers, she did not find anything, so she thinks that maybe Ewa died in other commune.

There was no death record for Ewa Spiżarny in the period of 1939-1944 in Miastkowo parish. She could not check the year of 1945 because the church book is in renovation.
I asked her to check the available marriages. They have marriage books since 1931 but she did not find Ewa's second marriage record.
This woman also advised to check the neighbour communes such as: Nowogród, Śniadowo and the commune of Łomża (not the town of Łomża but commune). because people were taken to this communes during the war (that is what she said. I suppose Germans did it)

Do You have Ewa's baptism record?

So:
the death act could be written in other parish or maybe it was written after the war??? (records of death certificates made after the war, related to people who died during the war happened, but occasionally.)

starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:10 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much for checking all that Marcel. It must have been hard work. I really appreciate it.

I know I have Ewa's 1862 baptism on paper somewhere. I have been searching for it, but have been unable to find it. I don't have a scan yet, but will try to get one.

I believe it's possible Ewa might have died in a commune, as you suggested. All her children were in America (as far as I know), so she was probably on her own, and regretfully at the whim of the turmoil of those times.

I will check on those neighboring communes. So I look up "Gmina Łomża", not Łomża, right?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 pm      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:
Thank you very much for checking all that Marcel. It must have been hard work. I really appreciate it.

I know I have Ewa's 1862 baptism on paper somewhere. I have been searching for it, but have been unable to find it. I don't have a scan yet, but will try to get one.

I believe it's possible Ewa might have died in a commune, as you suggested. All her children were in America (as far as I know), so she was probably on her own, and regretfully at the whim of the turmoil of those times.

I will check on those neighboring communes. So I look up "Gmina Łomża", not Łomża, right?

Hi,
I am reading this thread with interest. I would like to step in and clarify the word "gmina". It is an administrative district, for a collection of villages that are individually too small to set up their own municipal government. It is not at all the kind of collective that the word "commune" might bring to mind, where all property is shared, etc.
So, yes, the city of Lomza and the gmina of Lomza are two distinct things.
I hope this helps.
Sophia
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:30 am      Post subject:

starshadow wrote:

I can call these places and ask for a death certificate.

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:53 am      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

starshadow wrote:
marcelproust wrote:

This record is of a marriage, from Szczepankowo, of an Ewa Spizarna to Stanislaw Szkarpetowski in 1903. Not sure if it is your Ewa. Marriage #19 on this page:
https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=15&zs=0526d&sy=3505&kt=12&plik=019-022.jpg#zoom=1.75&x=60&y=0
Hoping it is the one!
Sophia
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:52 am      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

Sophia wrote:
starshadow wrote:
marcelproust wrote:

This record is of a marriage, from Szczepankowo, of an Ewa Spizarna to Stanislaw Szkarpetowski in 1903. Not sure if it is your Ewa. Marriage #19 on this page:
https://metryki.genealodzy.pl/metryka.php?ar=15&zs=0526d&sy=3505&kt=12&plik=019-022.jpg#zoom=1.75&x=60&y=0
Hoping it is the one!
Sophia

This is not her. Different parents!!!!

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm      Post subject: Re: Contacting local civil records offices.

marcelproust wrote:

This is not her. Different parents!!!!

Thanks for looking at it, Marcel.
Sophia
!!!!
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:00 pm      Post subject:

I really appreciate your efforts Marcel and Sophia. Yes, I already had this Ewa Spizarna. She was a distant cousin of mine, the daughter of Ignacy Spizarny and Wiktorya Wroblewska. But I don't think I had this marriage. So thank you for it Sophia.
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:45 pm      Post subject:

I finally found my copy of Ewa (Ciecierska) Spizarna's birth record. Would this help in finding her death record?

Birth Record No. 7, of Ewa Ciecierska (married name Spizarna), born 7th Jan. 1862, in Miastkowo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  487.77 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Birth Record No. 7, of Ewa Ciecierska (married name Spizarna), born 7th Jan. 1862, in Miastkowo.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: