PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:45 am      Post subject: Great-Grandmother's birth certificate (Józefa Deśkiewicz)

Jozefa Deśkiewicz was born Mar. 4 1891. Many of her records say she was from Russia, her Ellis Island record says her father was in Krzywa. Her father's name was Antoni, and she may have had a sister Anna/Antonia born 1886. I can't find anything about her pre-immigrating to the US. Can anyone help me pin point where she came from? She's my most difficult brickwall!
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:49 am      Post subject: Re: Great-Grandmother's birth certificate

Dugas_Chelsea wrote:
Jozefa Deśkiewicz was born Mar. 4 1891. Many of her records say she was from Russia, her Ellis Island record says her father was in Krzywa. Her father's name was Antoni, and she may have had a sister Anna/Antonia born 1886. I can't find anything about her pre-immigrating to the US. Can anyone help me pin point where she came from? She's my most difficult brickwall!

please provide Us more information. Was Deśkiewicz a maiden name?
You mentioned some records... please upload these records.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Dugas_Chelsea

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:24 am      Post subject:

Yes, Deskiewicz is her maiden name. She married Jozef Dlugaszewski/Dlugoszewski in Pennsylvania, USA. They had 5 children in Conshohocken, PA.

Other than a couple US census records, this is all the information I have on her. Nothing clearly states where she came from. Some say Poland. Other's Russia/Prussia. No cities or anything. The only lead I have is Krzywa from the Ellis Island document, but it's not giving me anything.

Jozefa Ellis Island pg 2.jpg
 Description:
Ellis Island page 2 - LINE 20
 Filesize:  700.57 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Jozefa Ellis Island pg 2.jpg

Jozefa Ellis Island.jpg
 Description:
Her Ellis Island entry, page 1 - LINE 20
 Filesize:  750.53 KB

Jozefa Ellis Island.jpg

Hamburg departure - Jozefa.jpg
 Description:
Here is her departure record from Hamburg
 Filesize:  1.1 MB

Hamburg departure - Jozefa.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:55 am      Post subject:

Hi Chelsea and Marcel,
So, you have to reconcile the three ways that her place of origin was written. On the first page of her Ellis Island manifest, it gives her last permanent residence as Krzywa, Russia, and it says her father still lives in Krzywa. On the second page of her Ellis Island manifest, it says she was born in (hard to read the spelling but definitely mis-spelled) Svagura and on the Hamburg Departure list it gives her "bisheriger wohnort" (former place of residence) as Gora, Russland (Russland = Russia).
What do you think of Krzywa Gora as a possibility?
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:14 am      Post subject:

I have found Józefa's baptism record in the parish of Włocławek Wink
The birth date and other informations match Smile

Here is the translation:

Krzywa Góra

It happened in Włocławek on 3rd/15th March 1891, at 12 o'clock at noon.
Appeared Antoni Deskiewicz, worker from Krzywa Góra, 30 years old, in the presence of Franciszek Tomaszewski, worker, 50 years old and Jan Stolcman, farmer, 38 years old, both from Krzywa Góra and he presented a female child, informing that the child was born in Krzywa Góra on 20th February/4th March of the current year, at 3 a.m., with his legal wife Helena nee Tomaszewska, 23 years old.
At The Holy baptism, held today by the priest Leon Kępski, local vicar priest, the child was given the name Józefa and the godparents were: Antoni Stolcman and Franciszka Grzeurska???
This act was read to the declarant and the witnesses, all illiterate and was signed by Us only.

Parson of the parish of Włocławek, serving as Civil Registrar, priest Jan Śliwiński.

I have also found marriage record for Józefa's parents.

_________

As for double dating. Poland was at russian occupation at that time. That is why the document is written in russian language. This double dating refers to so called Old Style and New Style dates. There was a calendar reform in XVI century: Gregorian calendar replaced Julian calendar in romancatholic countries. This reform came into use in Russia in 1918. So as i wrote Poland was under russian occupation and the priests were obligated to put two dates: Julian and Gregorian calendar dates.
The first date is Julian (Old Style), the second Gregorian (New Style).
To calculate the New Style Date You had to add 12 days to the old Style Date in XIX Century.

So the New Style birth date of Your greatgrandmother is 4th March 1891.

Józefa Deskiewicz baptism.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.45 KB

Józefa Deskiewicz baptism.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:39 am      Post subject:

marcelproust wrote:
I have found Józefa's baptism record in the parish of Włocławek Wink
The birth date and other informations match Smile

Marcel! Beautiful work!
This is a perfect example of why it is useful to look at as many documents as possible. Looking at only one document would lead you to the wrong place, in this case.
Sophia
Edziu340

Replies: 29

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:43 am      Post subject: Krzywa

My family is from Krzywa. The parish where the baptism records are located are St Stanislaus Parish, Czarna Sedzisow. My grandfather was born there in 1886. You can find the records by searching on Szukiwach search engine. The link to it is on this website. I hope this helps you in your search.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:32 pm      Post subject: Re: Krzywa

Edziu340 wrote:
My family is from Krzywa. The parish where the baptism records are located are St Stanislaus Parish, Czarna Sedzisow. My grandfather was born there in 1886. You can find the records by searching on Szukiwach search engine. The link to it is on this website. I hope this helps you in your search.

I have already found the baptism record for Dugas_Chelsea. The document was found in the parish of Włocławek.

Dugas_Chelsea

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:54 pm      Post subject:

Oh my goodness, thank you so much Marcel! And everyone! This is all such wonderful information. I'm so grateful for all of your help and guidance.

So exciting!!

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:23 pm      Post subject:

Dugas_Chelsea wrote:
Oh my goodness, thank you so much Marcel! And everyone! This is all such wonderful information. I'm so grateful for all of your help and guidance.

So exciting!!

Would You like me to translate Józefa's parents marriage record?

Dugas_Chelsea

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:29 pm      Post subject:

marcelproust wrote:
Dugas_Chelsea wrote:

So exciting!!

That would be lovely! Thank you!

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:34 pm      Post subject:

Dugas_Chelsea wrote:
marcelproust wrote:
Dugas_Chelsea wrote:

So exciting!!

That would be lovely! Thank you!

Act 5
Krzywa Góra

It happened in Włocławek on 9th/21st January 1884, at 1 p.m.
We make it known that in the presence of the witnesses: Kazimierz Majewski, 33 years old and Jan Stolcman, 30 years old, peasants living in Korabniki (nowadays it is the part of the city Włocławek), a religious marriage was concluded on this day, between:

Antoni Deskiewicz, daylabourer, a single man, living with his mother, 22 years old, born in Krzywa Góra, located in the parish of Włocławek, son of late Antoni Deskiewicz and living in Krzywa Góra: Franciszka Deskiewicz nee Marcinkowska

and

Helena Petronela Tomaszewska, a miss, born in Aleksandrowo, located in the parish of Służewo, in the county of Nieszawa, daughter of spouses: Franciszek Tomaszewski and Antonina Tomaszewska nee Ciesielska, who live in Krzywa Góra. She is 16 years old, which was prooved with the certificate attached to this marriage record. She lives with her parents.

This marriage was preceded by the three banns of marriage, announced in the local parish church,on: 6th, 13th and 20th day of the current month and year.

Newlyweds' mothers, present at writing this marriage act, gave oral permission for this marriage.
Newlyweds declared that they did not enter into the prenuptial agreement.
Religious marriage ceremony was celebrated by the priest Franciszek Itner, vicar priest, with the consent of the parson of the local parish.
This act was read and was signed by us only.

Parson of the parish of Włocławek, serving as Civil Registrar, priest Jan Śliwiński.

Antoni Deskiewicz marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  388.9 KB

Antoni Deskiewicz marriage.jpg

Dorotarylek

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:44 pm      Post subject: Re: Great-Grandmother's birth certificate (Józefa Deśkiewicz

Dugas_Chelsea wrote:

Helena Deskiewicz was my grandmother. She was Józefa and Antonina sister from Krzywa Góra in Poland
Dugas_Chelsea

Post Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:14 am      Post subject: Re: Great-Grandmother's birth certificate (Józefa Deśkiewicz

Dorotarylek wrote:
Dugas_Chelsea wrote:

Helena Deskiewicz was my grandmother. She was Józefa and Antonina sister from Krzywa Góra in Poland

OMG! Did she immigrate to the US or stay in Poland? Would love to hear more about her!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: