PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:35 am      Post subject: Origin of name Salwin (Pniewo, Mazowiekie)

Hello,

I am looking for more information on the name Salwin and possibly its relation to other variants like Salwiński, Selwaniak, Selwon...
I have tracked my relatives to the earliest records (1760) to a village in Pniewo, Mazowieckie named Wólka Jezuicka.
Am I correct that Jezuicka means "Jesuit" in Polish?
Could this mean that my relatives were serfs bound to Jesuit owned lands?
Could the name Salwin be a variant of the latin word Salvus (meaning safe/ saved)? Similar variants are seen throughout Europe in Scandinavia and England.

Any information or insights would be appreciated.

- Row
katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:41 am      Post subject: Re: Origin of name Salwin (Pniewo, Mazowiekie)

rrwhite wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for more information on the name Salwin and possibly its relation to other variants like Salwiński, Selwaniak, Selwon...
I have tracked my relatives to the earliest records (1760) to a village in Pniewo, Mazowieckie named Wólka Jezuicka.
Am I correct that Jezuicka means "Jesuit" in Polish?
Could this mean that my relatives were serfs bound to Jesuit owned lands?
Could the name Salwin be a variant of the latin word Salvus (meaning safe/ saved)? Similar variants are seen throughout Europe in Scandinavia and England.

Any information or insights would be appreciated.

- Row

Hello Row,

You are right, accordingly to Hoffman's "Polish Surnames" Salwin surname (and its variations: Salwa, Salwik, Salwiński, Salwowski) comes from Latin salvus - “saved, whole” or from given name Salwator.

Nowadays there are 703 individuals using this surname living in Poland (18 people live in Pniewo). Detailed map of the surname distribution can be found here: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Salwin

In Geneteka there are indexed records with Salwin people and you can find there a lot of records from Pniewo and Wólka Jezuicka: https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&rid=B&search_lastname=salwin&exac=&from_date=&to_date=&w=07mz
(however I think that you know about it because the oldest records in Geneteka comes from 1760 and you mentioned this date)

Listen how this surname is pronounced in Polish (click on the “Listen” button): https://translate.google.pl/#view=home&op=translate&sl=pl&tl=en&text=Salwin

Good luck with your research!
Katarzyna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: