PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:45 am      Post subject:

thanks dave

golf was long....28 holes, way too many. 9 is better ha.

yea this death was very hard to read for me too. But you were right as usual! I could find the baptism once I knew the age of the child.

have a good week
L.Godzina

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:11 am      Post subject: Kazimierz Wnuk birth

Good afternoon. Could you please translate the attached document for the birth of Kazimierz Wnuk in 1756? Thank you!

1756 Kazimierz Wnuk birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.9 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1756 Kazimierz Wnuk birth.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:32 am      Post subject: Re: Kazimierz Wnuk birth

L.Godzina wrote:
Good afternoon. Could you please translate the attached document for the birth of Kazimierz Wnuk in 1756? Thank you!

Hi,

Here is the translation of the baptismal record. I hope it helps your research.

Dave

16. Sypniewo

In the year as above (1756*) on February 29** I, Antoni Gawłowski, dean*** in P. G.****, baptized an infant by the name of Kazimierz, the son of the legitimate marital union of the industrious***** Paweł and Lucja Wnuk. Those lifting (him) up****** were Jan Sobotka with Maryanna Scieptkowa*******.

Notes: *The year is taken from the title given to the image.
**1756 was a leap year and Feb. 29 fell on a Saturday.
***dean (Polish: dziekan) a priest designated by the local bishop to have a degree of oversight of a group of parishes known as a deanery (Polish: dziekanat). His duties were primarily administrative.
****There are too many places named Sypniewo for me to determine the meaning of the initials without having more specific geographical information.
*****laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.
******levantes/those lifting (him/her) up: a circumlocution for the sponsors, commonly referred to as godparents.
*******the suffix -owa indicates a married woman i.e. : “the wife of…”
L.Godzina

Post Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:18 am      Post subject: Kazimierz Wnuk birth

Thank you for the translation and the detailed notes! This helps in my research immensely.
The Parish in this record is Gasewo in Mazowieckie.
L.Godzina

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 am      Post subject: 1794 Jan Wnuk birth

Dave,

Hello. Could you please translate the attached document for the birth of Jan Wnuk in 1794? The Parish is Gasewo. Thank you!

1794 Jan Wnuk birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  333.82 KB

1794 Jan Wnuk birth.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:41 pm      Post subject: Re: 1794 Jan Wnuk birth

L.Godzina wrote:
Dave,

Hello. Could you please translate the attached document for the birth of Jan Wnuk in 1794? The Parish is Gasewo. Thank you!

Hi,

Here is the translation of the birth & baptism of Jan Wnuk.

Top (Heading): (Baptism for the year #) 52. Sławkowo (The priest indicates that the next words, eodem anno, belong with the body of the entry.)

Body of Entry: In the same year (1794) on the 8th day of June I, Andrzej Kokowski, pastor* of Gąsewo, baptized an infant by the name of Jan, born on the 4th** of the current (month) in the morning, the son of the legitimate marital union of the industrious*** Kazimierz and Monika Wnuk. The sponsors**** (commonly known as godparents) were the industrious*** Maciej Taburczak with the noble***** Franciszka Kamienowska.

Notes: *commendarius/pastor: the word commendarius usually means pastor. However, the word can also be used for the priest who is acting as a temporary administrator of the parish. The only way to know with certitude which is meant would be to know the context of what was transpiring in the parish at the time. The bottom line is that it is not of much import as far as genealogy is concerned.
**4th—could also be the 7th. The ink blob is in a place which could render either number possible. My guess is 4 given the way the numeral appears to have been written. An argument could be made for the 7th based on the use of the word mane/in the morning that he was born on the day before his baptism.
***laboriosus/industrious: term used to designate an individual as a peasant.
****patrini/sponsors: In the early days of Christianity converts were adults. The patrinus/sponsor vouched for the sincerity of the person who wanted to become a Christian and also acted as a mentor for that individual. The practice was to have only one sponsor per convert. As time went by, the practice of infant baptism arose but the practice of having a sponsor remained. Although ecclesiastical law required only one sponsor, the practice arose of having two sponsors, one of each gender, and thus the term godparents came to be used commonly to describe the two sponsors. However, the official designation remains sponsors.
*****nobilis/noble: the term designated a member of the gentry (szlachta) who owned at least one village. It seems that the parish had a large number of villages which were owned by members of the petty gentry. Sometimes there was little social and/or economic difference between a peasant and a member of the gentry. Often the distinction between a peasant and a member of the gentry was based only on blood rather than on other factors. Here the female sponsor was at least a part owner of a village, although she may have been more wealthy.

Hoping that you are enjoying your research,

Dave
L.Godzina

Post Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:03 pm      Post subject: 1794 Jan Wnuk birth

Dave,

Thank you again for the translation and the detailed notes!
Jason8524

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:28 pm      Post subject: 1648 Tarnogrod Event Translation

Good day,

I have an entry that the priest wrote in the baptism book of the Roman Catholic parish of Tarnogrod in present-day Lublin province for November of 1648. I believe it describes a Cossack attack on the town. Would someone be able to help me translate this document into English?

Thank you very much,

latin translation help.jpg
 Description:
Tarnogrod November 1648
 Filesize:  574.23 KB

latin translation help.jpg

PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:56 am      Post subject: Latin notation in birth record

I would greatly appreciate any assistance in interpreting the notation ("Extr...") below the infant's name in the attached file. Does the notation also specify some kind of a date? This is from a 1908 birth record (written in Latin). Would the extract of the birth record have been required for an application for military service, application for higher education, application for a civil service job etc
Many thanks
Tom

Extr Notation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  525.49 KB

Extr Notation.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:54 am      Post subject: Re: Latin notation in birth record

PabianAus wrote:
I would greatly appreciate any assistance in interpreting the notation ("Extr...") below the infant's name in the attached file. Does the notation also specify some kind of a date? This is from a 1908 birth record (written in Latin). Would the extract of the birth record have been required for an application for military service, application for higher education, application for a civil service job etc
Many thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

Extr. In its full form most likely would be extractum using the neuter since it references the issuance of a certificate of birth and baptism. During both the period prior to-WWI when the region was under Austrian rule and the period after the war when Poland was once again independent certificates from what had been Galicia used the title “Testimonium ortus et baptismi” (Certificate of birth & baptism). Testimonium is a neuter noun and thus the neuter form extractum. The notation does contain the date on which the certificate was issued, 12/9 (1)925, (November 12, 1925) along with the sequential number of certificates issued, L.180.

Since religious functionaries (priests) acted as civil registrars the certificate could have been issued for civil reasons as a proof of birth but it also may have been issued as a baptismal certificate for religious reasons such as documentation compiled prior to the reception of the Sacrament of Confirmation or for a religious marriage (although the young man would have been on the young side of the common age at which men married).

I cannot speak to the civil reasons for which a birth certificate would be needed in Poland during the 1920s. However it does seem to me that some of those reasons would be similar to the reasons a person would need a birth certificate in other countries. Another possibility is simply that he wanted to have the certificate on hand for some possible future need.

I hope this helps somewhat and answers at least some of your questions.

Dave
PabianAus
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 181

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:03 am      Post subject: Re: Latin notation in birth record

Thanks Dave. So the month of November was represented by the numeric "9" ? even in 1925 ?
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:33 am      Post subject: Re: Latin notation in birth record

PabianAus wrote:
Thanks Dave. So the month of November was represented by the numeric "9" ? even in 1925 ?

Tom,

It was in documents written in Latin or referring to Latin documents and the notation here appears in a Latin document. However, a case could also be made for the current standard system. Thus the date of issue could be September if the priest were following the contemporary system. The whole 7 for September, 8 for October, 9 for November, & 10 for December goes back to the names of those months, which in the Roman calendar indicated their position in the original calendar. Of course in a language like English the meaning of the names falls by the wayside. Keep in mind that the counting in Latin began with the first month of the year which was March rather than January.

Dave
L.Godzina

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:49 am      Post subject: 1780 Kazimierz Wnuk marriage

Dave,

Hello! Could you please translate the attached document for the marriage of Kazimierz Wnuk? Thank you!

1780 Kazimierz Wnuk marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.78 KB

1780 Kazimierz Wnuk marriage.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:50 pm      Post subject: Re: 1648 Tarnogrod Event Translation

Jason8524 wrote:
Good day,

I have an entry that the priest wrote in the baptism book of the Roman Catholic parish of Tarnogrod in present-day Lublin province for November of 1648. I believe it describes a Cossack attack on the town. Would someone be able to help me translate this document into English?

Thank you very much,

Hi,

I surmised that your request for help in translating the posted entry really meant that you needed the entry translated rather than help with parts of the document which you had trouble translating.

The Cossack Rebellion of 1647-48 under Bogdan Chmielnicki (Bohdan Khmelnytsky) marked the beginning of the period in the history of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów) known as the Deluge (Potop). This uprising was more successful than earlier uprisings in large part due to the Cossacks allying themselves with the Tartars. The Cossacks lacked cavalry to oppose the renowned Polish heavy cavalry. The Tartars provided the cavalry which the Cossacks lacked.

Here is the translation.

I hope you find it useful and informative.

Dave

November of the year 1648 follows
In which many names of those baptized are lacking on account of the disruption of the Cossack invasion
Left: x Cossacks with Tartars (The words are in Polish)
where many innocents both from among the infants and from the adults perished. The town of Tarnogród was consumed by fire. The church with its accouterments in other words was like a tree without branches or leaves; despoiled and very largely ruined and shamefully devastated. The innocent blood of all those cries out from the marshy* ground. May God rise up and may His enemies be scattered and driven away from His presence.

*de palustri terra/from the marshy ground: The sense is that the ground is sodden with the blood of those who perished rather than that it was a physical marsh.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:52 pm      Post subject: Re: 1780 Kazimierz Wnuk marriage

L.Godzina wrote:
Dave,

Hello! Could you please translate the attached document for the marriage of Kazimierz Wnuk? Thank you!

Here is the translation, Greg. The entry is heavy on the legalities and light on what one would find helpful for further genealogical research. This was the typical focus of marriage records from that time.

Dave

Heading: 15 Sławkowo
Body of Entry: On the 19th day of November in the year 1780, after the three banns had been proclaimed on consecutive Sundays and after having received beforehand their consent for the present (marriage)* and after all the required ceremonies had been completed in the presence of the congregation, I, Andrzej Kokowski, the vicar, blessed** the marriage between the upright*** Kazimierz Wnuczak, a bachelor, and Monika Szczepakowna****, a maiden, (both) parishoners, in the presence of the upright*** Szymon Plewa, Franciszek Piekol, and others.

Notes: *de praesenti/for the present (marriage). This phrase means that the couple were giving their consent to the actual marriage rather than to a promise of a future marriage. Catholic teaching viewed marriage as a contract between the two spouses. By giving their consent the couple ratified the contract and thus were married. The priest’s function was to be one of the three official witnesses to the consent and to bless the couple’s marriage on behalf of the Church. Like all contracts, the marriage contract involved rights and duties which were accepted by the spouses.

**benedixi/I blessed: The priest was not the minister of the sacrament. The spouses were the ministers. The priest blessed the sacrament confected by the couple.

***honestus/upright: term usually used to describe a farmer from a village or small town.

****The feminine suffix -owna denotes a single woman with the meaning of “daughter of...”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 184 of 274

Jump to: