PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 13

Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:58 pm      Post subject: Information on Zygmunt Spychalski

Hello,
My grandfather was born in Rowne in 1922. He moved to the U.K during the war and was in the Polish RAF and then the merchant navy. He died in 1976 in the U.K. Zygmunt wouldn’t speak much about his time in the war or about his parents. He mentioned that his fathers name was an Anton Spychalski who was high up in the colonel in Poland but was killed in action. His mother was still alive after the war but she lived in Poland. I have contacted the Rivne archives who said that they never received any books from the Rivne Roman Catholic Church during the period of 1922. I was wondering if anyone would know how I could relieve his birth certificate? I would appreciate anymore information or any help towards finding this. Thank you.
katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:41 am      Post subject: Re: Information on Zygmunt Spychalski

RoxanneSpychalski wrote:
Hello,
My grandfather was born in Rowne in 1922. He moved to the U.K during the war and was in the Polish RAF and then the merchant navy. He died in 1976 in the U.K. Zygmunt wouldn’t speak much about his time in the war or about his parents. He mentioned that his fathers name was an Anton Spychalski who was high up in the colonel in Poland but was killed in action. His mother was still alive after the war but she lived in Poland. I have contacted the Rivne archives who said that they never received any books from the Rivne Roman Catholic Church during the period of 1922. I was wondering if anyone would know how I could relieve his birth certificate? I would appreciate anymore information or any help towards finding this. Thank you.

Hello Roxanne,
Welcome to our forum!
Because your grandfather was born in 1922, his birth record will still be protected by personal data protection laws (birth records that are younger than 100 years old are stored in civil registry offices instead of public archives).
There are several villages with the name "Równe" in Poland, the bigger is the one in the Podkarpackie voivodeship: https://goo.gl/maps/ZRt3YoMyDXNV7y1m9
If it is the correct Równe, you need to contact the Civil Office Registry in Dukla: [email protected]

Good luck!
Katarzyna

PS. If you wish PolishOrigins' assistance with your research, do not hesitate to contact us, here you can find more details about our genealogy services: https://polishorigins.com/genealogy/ and here you can fill in our request form https://polishorigins.com/genealogy-request
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:13 am      Post subject: Re: Information on Zygmunt Spychalski

RoxanneSpychalski wrote:
Hello,

Hi,
Have you already checked out what is available from the British archives?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C137302
Using "Spychalski" as a search term, an item came up for "Spychalski Z 04/01/1922" which is probably him. This particular item has not yet been digitized by the archive, but you can ask them to make a copy for you. There are additional Spychalski's there with naturalization records, who may or may not be relatives of his.
My hope is that some record there will point you to the correct Rowne, as Katarzyna has pointed out that there are several towns by this name in Poland.
Also, if you know which Polish squadron he was in, in the RAF, you can find the details of their service there in the British archives, also, but there is only a small chance that you will find anything on him as an individual in those records. You would need to find enlistment papers, for information about him specifically.
Good luck with your search,
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
RoxanneSpychalski

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:59 am      Post subject:

He also mentioned that he lived on a farm near a massive forest. I’m not sure if anyone knows if there’s farms in certain Rowne’s?
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:51 pm      Post subject:

Hi again,
I think you ought to start your search looking at the Rowne which is in today's Ukraine, but which was Polish territory in your grandfather's time.
This recommendation is based on how he is represented on a website that has gathered the names of Poles who served in the various Polish squadrons of the RAF. Here is his name:
https://listakrzystka.pl/en/spychalski-zygmunt/
Read here about the methodology for how this information was gathered:
https://listakrzystka.pl/en/
Good luck,
Sophia
RoxanneSpychalski

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:11 pm      Post subject:

Hi,
Thank you. I have seen this before and contacted the archives in Rowne which is now known as Rivne in Ukraine and they said they never received the books from the Rivne Catholic Church during the 1920’s period.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:08 pm      Post subject:

RoxanneSpychalski wrote:
Hi,
Thank you. I have seen this before and contacted the archives in Rowne which is now known as Rivne in Ukraine and they said they never received the books from the Rivne Catholic Church during the 1920’s period.

I see. Your question about which Rowne might have farms and nearby forests made it seem that you were still unsure of the correct Rowne.

Since you do know the correct Rowne is the one in Ukraine, the advice Katarzyna gave is still of value. You need to find the Ukrainian equivalent of a Polish USC (civil records office) and ask them.

Sophia
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:19 pm      Post subject:

Hi everyone
Piece by piece and we'll gather togather all needed information. I agree with Sophia and Katarzyna, you should make contact with Registry Office in Równe in Ukraine, becouse there are no such book (baptisms) from 1922 in any archives (Ukraine, Poland) as well as in Registy Office in Warsaw in Poland. But even if you were not able to find this certificate it's not obstacle to try to reconstruct your family history.

Równe, decanate Równe

1) Baptisms:
AGAD - Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw: 1839-1840, 1842-1846, 1862.
USC Warszawa - Registry Office in Warsaw: 1937-1944
State Archive in Łuck: 1807-1814.
State Archive in Równe: 1827-1838, 1841, 1847-1860, 1863-1864.
State Archive in Żytomierz: 1798.
CDIAK – Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine in Kyiv: 1881.

2) Marriages:
AGAD – Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw: 1839-1840, 1842-1846, 1862.
USC Warszawa –Registry Office in Warsaw: 1926-1944
Indexes – volume VI - the period is not provided
State Archive in Żytomierz: 1798

3) Burials:
AGAD – Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw: 1839-1840, 1842-1846, 1862.
USC Warszawa – Registry Office in Warsaw: 1937-1944
State Archive in Żytomierz: 1798

4) Registers of souls (believers):
State Archive in Łuck: 1923.
State Archive in Równe: 1872, 1885.
Mormons: (mf 2227236: 1860-1861)
CDIAK – Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine in Kyiv: 1842, 1860-1862, 1874, 1888.

5) Different files related to the parish:
AGAD – Central Archives of Historical Records in Warsaw: 1922-1943

6) State Archive in Równe: Record of people of the town of Równe from 1929 (4 volumes)

Best regards
Piotr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: