PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:09 pm      Post subject: Re: 1648 Tarnogrod Event Translation

dnowicki wrote:
Jason8524 wrote:
Good day,

I have an entry that the priest wrote in the baptism book of the Roman Catholic parish of Tarnogrod in present-day Lublin province for November of 1648. I believe it describes a Cossack attack on the town. Would someone be able to help me translate this document into English?

Thank you very much,

Hi,

I surmised that your request for help in translating the posted entry really meant that you needed the entry translated rather than help with parts of the document which you had trouble translating.

The Cossack Rebellion of 1647-48 under Bogdan Chmielnicki (Bohdan Khmelnytsky) marked the beginning of the period in the history of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów) known as the Deluge (Potop). This uprising was more successful than earlier uprisings in large part due to the Cossacks allying themselves with the Tartars. The Cossacks lacked cavalry to oppose the renowned Polish heavy cavalry. The Tartars provided the cavalry which the Cossacks lacked.

Here is the translation.

I hope you find it useful and informative.

Dave

November of the year 1648 follows
In which many names of those baptized are lacking on account of the disruption of the Cossack invasion
Left: x Cossacks with Tartars (The words are in Polish)
where many innocents both from among the infants and from the adults perished. The town of Tarnogród was consumed by fire. The church with its accouterments in other words was like a tree without branches or leaves; despoiled and very largely ruined and shamefully devastated. The innocent blood of all those cries out from the marshy* ground. May God rise up and may His enemies be scattered and driven away from His presence.

*de palustri terra/from the marshy ground: The sense is that the ground is sodden with the blood of those who perished rather than that it was a physical marsh.

Thank you so much for translating this entry, I really appreciate it. It is amazing to read about this history from someone who lived through it. Thank you thank you!!!
L.Godzina

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:56 am      Post subject: 1780 Kazimierz Wnuk marriage

Dave,

Thank you again! The Wnuczak spelling of the last name is unique in the research of this line.
L.Godzina

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:46 pm      Post subject: 1797 Marianna Wnuk birth

Dave,

Hello! Could you please translate the attached document for the birth of Marianna Wnuk in 1797? The Parish is Gasewo. Thank you! Greg

1797 Marianna Wnuk (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  178.18 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1797 Marianna Wnuk (2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:14 pm      Post subject: Re: 1797 Marianna Wnuk birth

L.Godzina wrote:
Dave,

Hello! Could you please translate the attached document for the birth of Marianna Wnuk in 1797? The Parish is Gasewo. Thank you! Greg

Hi Greg,

Here is the translation of Maryanna’s baptismal record. As I remember from the records of the parish of Gąsewo the parish had a large number of minor nobles. Such nobles often were no different economically than some of the peasants in the villages where they resided. Their noble status was based solely on blood. Also, often there was little social distinction between well-to-do peasants and the nobles. I remember that nobles acted as baptismal sponsors (as here) and as marriage witnesses for your ancestors. I also recall seeing instances of nobles, especially women, marrying peasants in that parish—interesting social dynamics.

I hope your research is progressing well.

Dave

Left Margin: Sławkowo #37
Body of Entry: In the same year on the 29th of March I, the same (as above), baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna, the daughter of the legitimate marital union of the industrious* Kazimierz and Monika Wnuk. The sponsors were the Nobles** Mateusz Godebski and Maryanna Batogowska.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.
**Nobilis/Noble: an adjective used to describe a member of the szlachta (gentry) who was an owner or a leaseholder of a parcel of land.
L.Godzina

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:36 pm      Post subject: 1797 Marianna Wnuk birth

Dave,

Thank you for your translation and notes!

The social dynamics of this parish are extremely interesting. Hopefully, additional records may provide further insight into the relationships. Thanks again, Greg
L.Godzina

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:35 pm      Post subject: 1823 Feliks Wnuk birth

Dave,

Hello! Could you please translate the attached document for the birth of Feliks Wnuk in 1823? The village is Rzechowo Gac in Gasewo Parish. Thank you! Greg

1823 Feliks Wnuk (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.48 KB

1823 Feliks Wnuk (2).jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:06 am      Post subject: Re: 1823 Feliks Wnuk birth

L.Godzina wrote:
Dave,

Hello! Could you please translate the attached document for the birth of Feliks Wnuk in 1823? The village is Rzechowo Gac in Gasewo Parish. Thank you! Greg

Hi Greg,

It is fortunate that both the ecclesiastical and civil transcripts of many of the records for Gąsewo are available. They each contain info not found in the other and thus are complimentary. I did a bit of searching on Family Search and located the ecclesiastical B&B record for Piotr and then located the B&B record of Honorata in the parish of Serock. (Records for Serock are on Family Search & give you another line of ancestors ripe for research.) Here are links for Honorata & for Piotr: B & B Honorata Marcjanna Majkowska: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C33G-PLJK?cat=662713
B & B Piotr Wnuk: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSL5-6QK9-4?i=546&cat=420636 . The records add more dimensions to the social dynamics of the relationships and interactions between nobles and peasants and provide you with your family’s link to the nobles. That link comes through Honorata Marcjanna who was born and raised in the parish of Serock and then in her late teens was in service in the parish of Gąsewo. (Note that there is a fair distance between the two parishes.) It appears that her parents were better off economically than many of the nobles from the parish of Gąsewo. On the lighter side of things...it appears that being married to a peasant caused a noble young lady to age very quickly. In 1820 she was 19 but by 1824 she was 32. At that rate she would be ancient in a few more years (ha,ha). Seriously it is a good example of why ages in civil transcripts when the person was not present to provide the info need to be taken with more than a single grain of salt. Hopefully your continued research will provide you with interesting details of your ancestors’ lives.

I believe that it is important to know the history and the geography of the area where ancestors lived in order to put some context to their lives. The area where the Wnuks and the Majkowskis lived was part of Prussia from 1795 until 1807. From 1807 until 1815 it was part of the Duchy of Warsaw (a client state set up by Napoleon). The Congress of Vienna in 1815 gave control of the area to Russia and it remained under Russian rule until the end of WWI. Prior to the Partitions it was part of woj. mazowieckie in the crown lands of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The Słownik geograficzny states that Rzechowo Gać http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_X/128 was a peasant & noble (szlachta) village on the River Ruż. In 1827 there were 18 houses and 117 inhabitants in the village.

Here is the translation of the record for Feliks followed by the B & B of Honorata Marcjanna Majkowska: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C33G-PLJK?cat=662713 and the
B & B of Piotr Wnuk: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSL5-6QK9-4?i=546&cat=420636

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave

Feliks: Left Margin: Rzechowo Gać
Body of Entry: In the same year (1823) on the 31st day of January I, the same (as above), baptized an infant by the name of Feliks, born today at the 5th hour in the early morning, the son of the the legitimate marital union of the industrious* Jan and Honorata née Majkowska Wnuk. The sponsors were the noble** Michał Zabielski and the industrious Ewa Tatarkowa***.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate a person as a peasant. Note that Honorata was born of noble parents but here she is described as a peasant like her husband. The adjective “honestorum” is plural and is applied to both parents. Also note that the spelling used for her maiden name both here and in the civil transcript is Maykowska. During the 19th century the letter “y” was regularly and correctly used in place of the letter “j” as well as in place of the letter “i” as found in correct contemporary Polish.
**nobilis/noble: described an owner or leaseholder of a parcel of real property.
***Tatarkowa: the suffix -owa indicates that she was the wife of Tatarek.

The B&B of Honorata:
Obręb (I was not able to identify the place in the parish of Serock in the Słownik geograficzny or on contemporary maps.) On the 8th day of January (1801) I, Tomasz Erdman, pastor in Serock, baptized a female child by the name of Honorata Marcjanna born on the 5th * day of the same month at midnight, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of the well-born** Michał Majkowski and of Marcjanna. The sponsors were the well-born** Antoni Szanowski from Zbanice and the well-born** Marcjanna Pokrzywniska from Obręb.
Notes
*The Arabic numeral is not clear. 5 is my best reading but it also could be 6.
**generosus, generosa/well-born: owner of at least one village

The B&B of Piotr
Left Margin: Rzechowo Gać
Body of Entry: In the same year (1824) on the 10th day of the month of October I, the same (as above) baptized an infant by the name of Piotr born on the 6th day of the same month at the 5th hour of the early morning, the son of the legitimate marriage of the industrious* Jan Wnuk and of the noble** Honorata Majkowska. The sponsors were the renowned*** Wojciech Wojnarowski and of the noble** Józefata Olkowska, a maiden.
Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate a person as a peasant.
**nobilis/noble: described an owner or leaseholder of a parcel of real property.
***famatus/renowned: term generally used to refer to a middle class craftsman. Note that the sponsors aka godparents were not the same individuals as those who were witnesses in the civil transcript. The witnesses were meant to verify the accuracy of the information being provided for the record whereas the sponsors fulfilled a religious role in the baptismal ceremony.

B&B Piotr Wnuk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.37 KB

B&B Piotr Wnuk.jpg

B&B Honorata Majkowska.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.51 KB

B&B Honorata Majkowska.jpg

L.Godzina

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:52 am      Post subject: Re: 1823 Feliks Wnuk birth

Dave,

As always, thank you so much for the translations and additional information! You have indeed led me down another line of research. I greatly appreciate your time in researching and translating the documents for Honorata, Feliks and Piotr. Best Regards, Greg
rciecwierz

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:29 pm      Post subject: Latin birth record translation

Hello,

I would be grateful if the attached birth record of my great, great grandmother could be translated into English.
Best regards
Roman

Baisinger_Rosalia_birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB

Baisinger_Rosalia_birth.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin birth record translation

rciecwierz wrote:
Hello,

I would be grateful if the attached birth record of my great, great grandmother could be translated into English.
Best regards
Roman

Hi Roman,

Here is the translation of the record. I hope that you find it useful.

Wishing you continued success in your research,

Dave

Col. 1: Dies Nativitatis = Day of birth: January 21
Col. 2: Dies Baptismi = Day of Baptism: January 28
Col. 3: Numerus Domus = House Number: 1
Col. 4: Nomen = Name (of person baptized): Rozalia Anna—two names
Notation in columns 4-7b: The midwife was Magdalena ???nicka
Notation in columns 1-7: I, Franciszek Ksawery Adolf Sanocki, administrator of spiritual matters, pastor of the Latin Rite parish of (illegible place name*) baptized (her).
Col. 5: Religio = Religion
Col. 5a: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 5b: Acatholica = Non Catholic: Blank
Col. 6: Sexus = Gender
Col. 6a: Puer = Boy: Blank
Col. 6b: Puella = Girl: Checked
Col. 7: Thori = (Marital) Bed
Col. 7a. Legitimi = Legitimate: Checked
Col. 7b: Illegitimi = Illegitimate: Blank
Col. 8: Parentes = Parents
Col. 8a: Nomen = Names: (Father) Noble** Zygmunt de Baisinger, son of noble** Józef Nepomucyn de Baisinger and noble** Amalia de Baisinger born to noble** (illegible word) Hofmann.
(Mother) Anna de Baisinger born Scholz, the daughter of Józef and Rozalia.
Col. 8b: Conditio = State of Life/Occupation: Commissar/Commissioner of Jesters/clowns*** in Ruda Różaniecka
Notes: *The name of the parish is not legible to me since I’m not familiar with the geography. You must be aware of the parish name based on data from the archive.
**Nobilis/noble: owner or leasehold of a parcel of real property.
***Jaculatorum/of jesters/clowns: That is what the word means but the title certainly must refer to some government/imperial position.
rciecwierz

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:34 pm      Post subject: Michal Tabaczynski marriage record

First my appreciation for this great service that the translators provide. It unlocks so many questions that allow us to move our family research forward. Thank you!!!

I am told this record is in Latin - I would be grateful for translation into English

michal taba marriage copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB

michal taba marriage copy.jpg

rfiorille

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:28 pm      Post subject: Thomas Zawadzka marriage act from Mrozowo

Hello Forum,

This is my first Latin document and I would very much appreciate a translation! I'm attaching the marriage act of Thomas Zawadska and Rosalia Woskowia(?). Would like some help finding out if parents, age and occupation of groom and bride are listed. Any information regarding witnesses is greatly appreciated as well. Looking for as much info as possible!

The marriage is the first entry on the top left of the document. I attached both a cropped section of the individual act as well as the whole page for reference.

Thank you!
Robert

Mrozowo Marriage Act.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  104.76 KB

Mrozowo Marriage Act.jpg

Mrozowo Marriage Act 2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  983.78 KB

Mrozowo Marriage Act 2.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:41 pm      Post subject: Re: Michal Tabaczynski marriage record

rciecwierz wrote:
First my appreciation for this great service that the translators provide. It unlocks so many questions that allow us to move our family research forward. Thank you!!!

I am told this record is in Latin - I would be grateful for translation into English

Hi,

Here is the translation of the marriage document. If you post Latin documents for translation in the future please include geographical information (the name of the parish as a minimum) and any other details of which you may be aware. Such information greatly reduces the time spent researching as part of the translation process.

The wording of the headings may or may not match exactly those at the top of your document. Over the years the headings had been modified several times by the Austrian government.

Thank you.

Dave

Translation:
Col. 1: N(ume)rus Serialis = Number in order (for the year): missing
Col. 2: Dies et Mensis et Annus copulationis = Day and Month and Year of the marriage: July 12, 1856
Col. 3: Sponsus = Groom
Col. 3a: N(ume)rus Domus = House Number: 229
Col. 3b: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio = His and his parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation: Michał Tabczyński, a private clerk/official from the district/circuit of Serednie(?) of the district/circuit of Stryj*, born the son of the late Mikołaj and Teresa née Huta(?)
Col. 3c: Religio = Religion
Col. 3c Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 3c Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Col. 3d Subdivision 3: Viduus = Widower: Blank
Col. 3d Subdivision 4: Aetas = Age: 38**
Col. 4: Sponsa = Bride
Col. 4a: Ejus ac parentum nomen, cognomen atque conditio; item nativitatis locus = Her and her parents’ first & surname and condition/state of life/occupation; at the same time (her) place of birth: Rozalia Baisinger from Ruda Różaniecka, district/circuit of Zołkiew(?) born the daughter of Zygmunt and Anna née Scholz
Col. 4b: Religio = Religion
Col. 4b Subdivision 1: Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Col. 4b Subdivision 2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
Col. 4c Subdivision 2: Caelebs = Bachelorette: Checked
Col. 4c Subdivision 3: Vidua = Widow: Blank
Col. 4d Subdivision 1: Aetas = Age: 19**
Col. 5: TESTES Eorum = WITNESSES (and) Their
Col. 5a: Nomen et Cognomen = First and Surname: Adam Rwcz?? (&) ???? Burghart
Col. 5b: Conditio = Condition/state of life/occupation: Illegible

Notations: A certificate of the banns for the groom was brought from the Latin Rite parish church of Podkamien dated 7 July, 1856 Number 53 as well as the consent of the father for the underage bride with the following meaning: That I, the father, permit my underage daughter Rozalia Baisinger to join in the bonds of marriage with Pan*** Michał Tabczyński, a private official/clerk, and for this I sign in the presence of the trustworthy witnesses:
Signature of the bride’s father followed by the signatures of the two witnesses whose names appear in column 5a.
Final Notation: Zygmunt Odelgiewicz (initials signifying his title) of the Latin Rite blessed this marriage.

Notes: *Letters in the entry are not formed consistently, which is not a problem in Latin words but makes the interpretation of surnames and geographical locations difficult & uncertain. Place names in such records are generally entered in their vernacular form except when the place name is entered as a Latin adjective. In that instance the vernacular place name ending is usually, but not always, dropped and the Latin adjectival suffix -ensis is added. An example from the entry is Stryjensis, which probably means the vernacular place name is Stryj. A possible complication in the identification of the place is that the area is near the border of contemporary Poland and Ukraine and some locations may now be in Ukraine. In the 19th Century the entire region was under Austrian control and was known as Galicia (cf. attached map).
**It appears that the ages were entered in th column which should have been used to designate the individual as a widower or widow.
***Pan was the title by which a noble was known during the 19th and much of the 20th Centuries. Currently it has the meaning of Mister and is used formally for men in general.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:47 pm      Post subject: Re: Thomas Zawadzka marriage act from Mrozowo

rfiorille wrote:
Hello Forum,

This is my first Latin document and I would very much appreciate a translation! I'm attaching the marriage act of Thomas Zawadska and Rosalia Woskowia(?). Would like some help finding out if parents, age and occupation of groom and bride are listed. Any information regarding witnesses is greatly appreciated as well. Looking for as much info as possible!

The marriage is the first entry on the top left of the document. I attached both a cropped section of the individual act as well as the whole page for reference.

Thank you!
Robert

Hi Robert,

As you can see from the translation, much of the entry deals with ecclesiastical requirements for a Catholic marriage. The main entry is one long sentence with subordinate clauses which makes for fine Latin but English grammarians would consider it to be a run-on sentence. The ages, status, and occupations of the bride and groom are included but not the names of their parents.

Here is some historical background about the region where Tomasz & Rozalia lived. Prior to the First Partition of Poland in 1772 the area was part of województwo kaliskie of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth aka The Republic of the Two Nations (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów). During the First Partition the region was seized by Prussia and incorporated into the Kingdom of Prussia as part of the Netze District (German: Netzedistrikt; Polish: Obwód Nadnotecki). From 1807 until 1815 that territory became part of the Duchy of Warsaw (Księstwo Warszawskie), a French client state created by Napoleon as a result of his victories during the War of the Fourth Coalition and the treaties of Tilsit. As a result of Napoleon’s downfall and the Congress of Vienna, in 1815 the area was returned to Prussia and became a part of the Grand Duchy of Posen (German: Großherzogtum Posen; Polish: Wielkie Księstwo Poznańskie). After 1848 the Grand Duchy became a province of Prussia and was known as the Province of Posen (German: Provinz Posen; Polish: Prowincja Poznańska). The area became part of the German Empire at the time of the unification of Germany in 1871. It now lies within województwo kujawsko-pomorskie of the Republic of Poland.

The translation follows.

Dave

Translation:

Col.1: Village of the Parish: Mrozowo
Col, 2: Bachelors with Maidens: 7
Col. 3: Widowers (& Widows [The Latin Masculine Plural form includes both genders]): Blank
Col. 4: Day and Month of the Marriages: The Fifth Day of November
Col. 5: Details of Marriages in the Year 1820 (Both in Arabic Numerals & in longhand): I, Jerzy Berent, pastor of this place, after the banns had been promulgated beforehand on three sequential Sundays in the presence of the people gathered together for the Divine Rites (i.e. Sunday Mass) and since no canonical impediment had been detected, questioned regarding marriage the industrious* Tomasz Zawada**, a single young man, a servant***, 28 years of age, and Rozalia Waśkowna****, 20 years of age, a maiden, a servant***, both from Mrozowo, and having their mutual consent expressed in words, joined (them) together in marriage and blessed (them) in the presence of the witnesses Marcin Gorze?ski, a settler****, Tomasz ?/nsała, Andrzej Szewc, (all) serving*** in Mrozowo.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious:an adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant,
**Zawada: This is how I read the surname and how it appears in the Poznań Project index (cf. attached image)
*** -owna: the suffix was used to denote a single young woman. It needs to be dropped in order to recover the family surname.
***famulus/famula/servant who provided labor for a landowner
****colonus: originally used to describe a settler but later used with various meanings such as a tenant/peasant farmer who owed service to the landowner as rent.

Screenshot_2020-09-20 Poznan Project.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.22 KB

Screenshot_2020-09-20 Poznan Project.png

rfiorille

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:01 am      Post subject: Re: Thomas Zawadzka marriage act from Mrozowo

dnowicki wrote:
rfiorille wrote:
Hello Forum,

Thank you!
Robert

Hi Robert,

As you can see from the translation, much of the entry deals with ecclesiastical requirements for a Catholic marriage. The main entry is one long sentence with subordinate clauses which makes for fine Latin but English grammarians would consider it to be a run-on sentence. The ages, status, and occupations of the bride and groom are included but not the names of their parents.

Here is some historical background about the region where Tomasz & Rozalia lived. Prior to the First Partition of Poland in 1772 the area was part of województwo kaliskie of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth aka The Republic of the Two Nations (Rzeczpostpolita Obojga Narodów). During the First Partition the region was seized by Prussia and incorporated into the Kingdom of Prussia as part of the Netze District (German: Netzedistrikt; Polish: Obwód Nadnotecki). From 1807 until 1815 that territory became part of the Duchy of Warsaw (Księstwo Warszawskie), a French client state created by Napoleon as a result of his victories during the War of the Fourth Coalition and the treaties of Tilsit. As a result of Napoleon’s downfall and the Congress of Vienna, in 1815 the area was returned to Prussia and became a part of the Grand Duchy of Posen (German: Großherzogtum Posen; Polish: Wielkie Księstwo Poznańskie). After 1848 the Grand Duchy became a province of Prussia and was known as the Province of Posen (German: Provinz Posen; Polish: Prowincja Poznańska). The area became part of the German Empire at the time of the unification of Germany in 1871. It now lies within województwo kujawsko-pomorskie of the Republic of Poland.

The translation follows.

Dave

Translation:

Col.1: Village of the Parish: Mrozowo
Col, 2: Bachelors with Maidens: 7
Col. 3: Widowers (& Widows [The Latin Masculine Plural form includes both genders]): Blank
Col. 4: Day and Month of the Marriages: The Fifth Day of November
Col. 5: Details of Marriages in the Year 1820 (Both in Arabic Numerals & in longhand): I, Jerzy Berent, pastor of this place, after the banns had been promulgated beforehand on three sequential Sundays in the presence of the people gathered together for the Divine Rites (i.e. Sunday Mass) and since no canonical impediment had been detected, questioned regarding marriage the industrious* Tomasz Zawada**, a single young man, a servant***, 28 years of age, and Rozalia Waśkowna****, 20 years of age, a maiden, a servant***, both from Mrozowo, and having their mutual consent expressed in words, joined (them) together in marriage and blessed (them) in the presence of the witnesses Marcin Gorze?ski, a settler****, Tomasz ?/nsała, Andrzej Szewc, (all) serving*** in Mrozowo.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious:an adjective used to denote an individual as a peasant,
**Zawada: This is how I read the surname and how it appears in the Poznań Project index (cf. attached image)
*** -owna: the suffix was used to denote a single young woman. It needs to be dropped in order to recover the family surname.
***famulus/famula/servant who provided labor for a landowner
****colonus: originally used to describe a settler but later used with various meanings such as a tenant/peasant farmer who owed service to the landowner as rent.

Dave,

Thank you so much for the very helpful historical context in addition to your extremely thorough translation. All your help is so greatly appreciated and will ensure my 'continued successful research'!

All the best!
Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 185 of 274

Jump to: