PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 pm      Post subject: Looking for information on Stombawa, Poland?

The records that I have found in the United States for my great grandmother Helena Veronica Fluder, born 7 Feb, 1886 say she was born in Stombawa, Poland. I cannot find any place called Stombawa. Any help would be appreciated.
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:24 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for information on Stombawa, Poland?

PJurek527 wrote:
The records that I have found in the United States for my great grandmother Helena Veronica Fluder, born 7 Feb, 1886 say she was born in Stombawa, Poland. I cannot find any place called Stombawa. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you write more about where did you get the name Stombawa from? Can you show any document?

PAYPAL: [email protected]
PJurek527

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:34 am      Post subject:

I only have this hand written document that has a bit of family history on it.

Jurek Family Data Sheet.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  265.78 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Jurek Family Data Sheet.JPG

katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:46 am      Post subject:

PJurek527 wrote:
I only have this hand written document that has a bit of family history on it.

Hello,

based on the document you attached I was able to find some information about your family:
1. information about marriage record of Helen's parents: Julianna and John - they got married in 1872 in Ostrzeszów (source: http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/)

2. information about Helen's siblings (in the Żnin parish and Civil Registry) here is a link to Geneteka:
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=eng&bdm=S&w=02kp&rid=S&search_lastname=fluder&search_name=&search_lastname2=pastucha&search_name2=&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable=

Helen's siblings:
Wojciech (born and died in 1894)
Balbina
Józef
Stanisław
Maria

I suppose that the family could move to Żnin after Helen's birth and before Wojciech's (so after 1886 and before 1894)

Good luck with your research!
Katarzyna

Fluder.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.3 KB

Fluder.JPG

Julianna & John.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.18 KB

Julianna & John.JPG

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:07 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for information on Stombawa, Poland?

PJurek527 wrote:

Hi,
Following Katarzyna's work made this one easy.
Your place name is Słębowo . It is about 5 miles west of Znin.
The Polish letter "ł " is often mistakenly read as a "t" by English-speaking readers, and the sound of the Polish letter "ę" is very much like the sound "em". The ending "bawa" versus "bowo" is just the handwriting, in my view.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:12 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for information on Stombawa, Poland?

Sophia wrote:
PJurek527 wrote:

Hi,
Following Katarzyna's work made this one easy.
Your place name is Słębowo . It is about 5 miles west of Znin.
The Polish letter "ł " is often mistakenly read as a "t" by English-speaking readers, and the sound of the Polish letter "ę" is very much like the sound "em". The ending "bawa" versus "bowo" is just the handwriting, in my view.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

Before the name of the village was Słębowo, it was previously named: Slambowo and it belonged to the parish of Cerekwica.
Birth records for the parish of Cerekwica for 1886 are stored in The State Archives of Poznań.
You can contact the archives at the following email: [email protected]

PAYPAL: [email protected]
PJurek527

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:38 am      Post subject:

Fantastic! I now have a direction to start looking in.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:56 pm      Post subject:

PJurek527 wrote:
Fantastic! I now have a direction to start looking in.

Hi,

The photo of the computer screen is tough to read. Weddings took place in the parish of the bride and the portion of the record which names the place where the bride was residing is rather difficult to see (at least for me). I played around with the image a bit and am attaching two enhanced versions of the image. Perhaps Sophia, who has a way with reading letters which are not exactly clear, or someone else can make sense of the place name and either confirm or discount my reading of the letters. The entry reads “Martinus Jurek operarius* ex Żnin et Helena Fluder filia operarii ex Młodocin (my reading)”. Translation: Marcin/Martin Jurek, a laborer/hired hand* from Żnin, and Helena/Helen Fluder, the daughter of a laborer/hired hand* from Młodocin (my reading). The Skorowidz from c. 1930 states that Młodocin belonged to the parish of Góra. If my reading of the place name is correct, the picture of a computer screen you posted is of a record from the parish of Góra. The marriage was the first for the year and did take place on January 24. The bride was 17 and the groom was 26. It The bride was a maiden and the groom was a bachelor and both were Catholics. There is a second page with additional information which does not appear in the photo. If the above is accurate, the bride and groom belonged to different parishes—the bride to Góra and the groom to Żnin.

Note: operarius/laborer/hired hand was used to describe a peasant who worked for wages and owned no real property and usually lacked stable long term employment. Those of that group tended to move around quite a bit in search of employment and thus they might be found for a time in parish A and then in parish B and then in parish C and then back again in parish A. This labor situation was aggravated by the policy of Kulturkampf instituted in 1871 by Otto von Bismarck, the Chancellor of newly united Germany. The policy of Kulturkampf targeted German Catholics and also included an aggressive policy for the replacement of Polish peasants in the Province of Posen with German colonists together with an attempt to strip the Poles of their culture. Polish farm workers often had great difficulty in obtaining full-time work in German Poland. The first great wave of Polish peasant immigration to the USA from 1870 to 1890 which resulted from this situation often was said to be “za chlebem” (“for bread”). The Midwest (especially Illinois, Northern Indiana and Michigan) was a prime destination for many from that region. Those who wanted to farm preferred Northern Indiana and Michigan and Wisconsin while those who opted for an urban setting tended to choose large cities like Chicago, Detroit, or Milwaukee.

Records from the parishes of that area were filmed and appear in the catalog of Family Search and many are available online. Not all years (especially those from about the 1880 and the 20th Century) have been digitized and thus are not available online. The film notes state that the Family Search copies were filmed in the archives of the Archdiocese of Gniezno. This provides another option other than the Polish National Archives for where you can request copies. Some friends of mine who dealt with the archives of the Archdiocese of Gniezno had great success and said that the staff is very friendly and helpful. Here is their e-mail: [email protected] The archive has a user friendly online catalog http://www.archiwum.archidiecezja.pl/pl/katalog-on-line.html and here is the link to the catalog for the parish of Cerekwica http://www.archiwum.archidiecezja.pl/pl/katalog-on-line.html?userWord=cerekwica

The German civil registrations began in 1874. Prior to that year Catholic priests and Protestant (Lutheran) ministers submitted transcripts of the parish books which served as civil vital stats. After 1874 Catholic parishes continued to keep the parish registers in the same format as before. Both forms (German & Latin) records have their advantages for genealogical research. I would urge you to employ both in your research. The records from the Polish National Archives which Marcel Proust mentioned will be in German for the years after 1874. The records from the archives of the Archdiocese of Gniezno are the ecclesiastical records in Latin.

All the above applies to your other Jurek related posts.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: