PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 pm      Post subject: Antoni Sulewski (aka...Anthony Suleski)

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find more information about my great-grandfather, Anthony Julius Suleski, born in Poland, ca. 1885.

I don't know exactly where in Poland he was born, but from various records that I’ve seen I believe it may have been either Biłgoraj or Białogrądy.

I've seen multiple spellings of his first and last names (Anthony, Antoni, Anthoni, Antony; Suleski, Sulewski, Sulaski, Salewski, Saleski, Selewski, Zalewski, Zelewski).

Anthony may have been born on May 25, 1884 (or 1885). Another possible birthdate for him is January 20, 1887. WWI, WWII and census documents list various dates of birth for him.

Anthony immigrated to America in 1904 or 1905 (depending on which census you look at), and eventually settled in Winchester, NH. Before he left Europe he spent time in Berlin to work and save money for the fare to America.

Anthony might have had a brother, “Adam Salewski", born on December 26, 1880. On the ship manifest for Adam’s immigration to America he is listed as coming from Białogrądy, going to see his brother “Antoni Salewski”, in Bellows Falls, Vermont, USA. I thought I might be able to search for birth and marriage records for Białogrądy, but it’s very hard for me to find them. However, one of Adam’s documents from Bellows Falls lists his Polish home town as Biłgoraj.

On October 17, 1919 Anthony filed for divorce in Keene, New Hampshire (USA) from a marriage in Poland. His first wife's name was recorded here as “Zophie". The date of their marriage was recorded here as January 15, 1902, in Wiecz, Poland. I looked up "Wiecz" and there is no city/town in Poland with that name. Perhaps it was a misspelling or the town changed its name after Anthony was there.

On December 6, 1919 Anthony married my great-grandmother, Catherine Bushey. They had seven children, all born in Winchester, NH:

1. Beatrice Agnes (b. June 29, 1918)
2. Doris Edna (b. 1921)
3. Lucille Evelyn (b. November 2, 1924)
4. Daniel Chester (b. June 19, 1927)
5. Edmond (b. October 26, 1929)
6. Virginia (b. November 19, 1933)
7. Wilfred (b. October 25, 1936)

On Anthony’s marriage license to Catherine his parents are listed as “Mak” (Maksymilian?) and “Annie”.

This is all the information I have about Anthony. Please let me know if there is a way for anyone to help me find more information about him, especially his roots in Poland.

Thank you,
Sean
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:32 am      Post subject:

Antoni Sulewski was born in 1886, birth record number 30, Białaszewo parish, in the village Gackie, son of Antoni and Marianna maiden name Modzelewska.

the only Adam Sulewski in Białaszewo parish born in 1873-1888 was Adam Sulewski in 1876, act number 89, son of Stanisław and Paulina maiden name Konopka, born in Białogrądy, Białaszewo parish

there was no any Adam and Antoni in Biłgoraj born in this period time.
seananthony

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:14 am      Post subject:

Marcel - Thank you for taking the time to write back to me with this information. Are these records available online? I have more questions for you, but if the records are online I will do the research myself. Thank you!
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:03 am      Post subject:

seananthony wrote:
Marcel - Thank you for taking the time to write back to me with this information. Are these records available online? I have more questions for you, but if the records are online I will do the research myself. Thank you!

these records are not available on line
Please ask Your questions
seananthony

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:14 am      Post subject:

I would like to try to match the Antoni Sulewski that you mentioned with the other information I have about my grandfather. I have been searching for my grandfather's Polish origins for years. Can you please provide any/all additional information about this particular Antoni Sulewski. What was his birthdate? Does the record show that Antoni and Marianna had other children? What were their names? In 1919, a month before my grandfather married my grandmother, he formally divorced a woman (Zofia) who he said he married on January 15, 1902 in Wiecz, Poland. Could "Wiecz" maybe be Osowiec, which is very close to Bialogrady? If so, is there a way to look at marriage records to see if there is anything for my grandfather and this Zofia?

Thank you for your help with this. I can't begin to explain what this will mean to my family if we find my grandfather's Polish origins. His last living daughter, Virginia, would be amazed to learn where her father came from.

Sean
seananthony

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 am      Post subject:

CORRECTION: the record of divorce doesn't say where the marriage took place, it lists "Wiecz, Poland" as the residence for "Zophie" (Zofia).
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 am      Post subject:

seananthony wrote:
I would like to try to match the Antoni Sulewski that you mentioned with the other information I have about my grandfather. I have been searching for my grandfather's Polish origins for years. Can you please provide any/all additional information about this particular Antoni Sulewski. What was his birthdate? Does the record show that Antoni and Marianna had other children? What were their names? In 1919, a month before my grandfather married my grandmother, he formally divorced a woman (Zofia) who he said he married on January 15, 1902 in Wiecz, Poland. Could "Wiecz" maybe be Osowiec, which is very close to Bialogrady? If so, is there a way to look at marriage records to see if there is anything for my grandfather and this Zofia?

Thank you for your help with this. I can't begin to explain what this will mean to my family if we find my grandfather's Polish origins. His last living daughter, Virginia, would be amazed to learn where her father came from.

Sean

to get know full birth date for Antoni Sulewski we have to get his birth record.

the other children for Antoni and Marianna were:
Bronisław Sulewski, 1879
Stanisława Sulewska, 1880
Bronisława Sulewska, 1883
Antoni Sulewski, 1886
Jan Sulewski, 1887
Wincenty Sulewski, 1890

Antoni Sulewski and Marianna Modzelewska married in 1877, act number 47, Białaszewo parish
Antoni's parents were: Jan and Marianna Karwowska
Marianna's parents were: Stanisław and Anna Chrzanowska

its hard to find marriage record without knowing the name of parish. There is no marriage between Antoni Sulewski and Zofia in Białaszewo parish index for 1902

if You have any documents please upload them because they may contain some important info
seananthony

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:17 pm      Post subject:

I looked at all "Antoni Sulewski" names for Ellis Island immigration records. None of them are coming from any of the Polish villages that we are talking about (Bialogrady, Bilgoraj, Bialaszewo).
I can upload a few American documents, but I've given you all the details that are included in them. Also, I can't seem to find how to upload images on this forum. Can I ask, what records are you searching and finding these names in? I'm very grateful.
seananthony

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:21 pm      Post subject:

Does the record show that his middle name is "Julius". If so, it must be my grandfather. If not, I will probably request the birth certificate from the national archives.
sirdan
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 304

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:25 am      Post subject:

seananthony wrote:
I looked at all "Antoni Sulewski" names for Ellis Island immigration records. None of them are coming from any of the Polish villages that we are talking about (Bialogrady, Bilgoraj, Bialaszewo).
I can upload a few American documents, but I've given you all the details that are included in them. Also, I can't seem to find how to upload images on this forum. Can I ask, what records are you searching and finding these names in? I'm very grateful.
This record look promising https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-details/czoxMjoiMTAyMjA4MDExNjU4Ijs=/czo4OiJtYW5pZmVzdCI7
In the search result the town appears like Bialogr...di, Russia, and looking on actual record it really can be Bialogrondi or similar. The record is for Antoni Salewski ARRIVAL DATE April 12th, 1906, born around 1877 year.

Edit. and it looks like Adam followed his brother and came on December.

And some thoughts about Zofia. Marcel didnt find parish record probably because marriage happened in the parish of the bride.
Its hard to decipher Wiecz, what it could be. I have two types, Wierzbno (so, short Wiecz) or Wizna (same letter counter but malformed name)

There are some Sulewski/Sulewski/Salewski coming from Wizna, Bialaszewo, Wierzbowo who knows if other far relatives did come to USA and stay.
seananthony

Post Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm      Post subject:

Marcel: the "Antoni Sulewski" that you said might be my great-grandfather seems to have been born AND died in 1886. I found this detail on the website geneteka.genealodzy.pl, and clicked on the "deaths" column.
Sirdan: Thank you for taking the time to help me also! This also sounds like it could be my great-grandfather, but I don't know why I can't find this "Antoni Salewski" on geneteka.genealodzy.pl. I'll keep looking to see if I can find more information.
gheedaily

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:58 pm      Post subject: suleski/bushey

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: