PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 63

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:18 am      Post subject: ZABOKLIKI trying to locate

I am trying to locate the town my grandmother was born in. I would like to know what province this was in the 1880-1898. If anyone knows name of parish and archdiocese and I was very much like to have the address. Any other information is more than welcome Cool Cool . Thanking everyone in advance! Carol
Send e-mail
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:06 am      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum Carol Smile,

There were to Żaboklikis (spelled "Z" with dot above it) in the second half of 19th century.

One in Wegrow district, Borze borough, Czerwonka parish, (click here for map: http://tinyurl.com/7u29wx ). There were then 16 houses in which lived 138 inhabitants.

The second Żabokliki was situated in Siedlce district, Starawies borough, Siedlce parish, about 30 miles from the first Żabokliki only . In the village there were 29 houses and 184 inhabitants. Map: http://tinyurl.com/8gclsr

Now do you have any hint which of the two may be "your" Żabokliki?

Source of information about villages: "Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i Innych Krajów Słowiańskich" ("Geographical Dictionary of Polish Kingdom and Other Slavic Countries") published in 1880 in Warsaw.
Send e-mail
carolt71

Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:02 am      Post subject: ZABOKLIKI trying to locate

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. No, I'm really not sure which one it is. Do you know if either one was under Russian rule during the 1880s? Is there any way I can get the address of both the church's? Do you think it would be good to write to the church's or the diocese? If so, can you get the address for me? I've been extremely frustrated because I have been unable to pinpoint my grandmother's town where she was born. Thanks again run for any help.
Carol Confused
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:45 am      Post subject:

Carolt71 wrote:
Do you know if either one was under Russian rule during the 1880s?

Yes, both Zaboklikis were under Russian reign then.

Carolt71 wrote:
Do you think it would be good to write to the church's or the diocese?

I would recommend to start from State Archives. Priests not always want to cooperate and what you can get from them (if you are not in the parish personally) is a modest abstract from a record, at best.

I have checked resources of State Archives. Here is what they have for Czerwonka parish: http://tinyurl.com/a8vo9u . "Your" Czerwonka is Czerwonka Liwska and as you can see they have almost all records from 19th century stored in the Siedlce Archives (click 'more' to see details).

The second, Siedlce parish records: http://tinyurl.com/8qebot . There are also plenty of records for the roman-catholic parish. BTW, do you know if your grandmother was roman-catholic? I think this is most probable because in the ""Geographical Dictionary..." from 19th century there are no information for both Zaboklikis about people of other religions living in the villages. Documents of this parish are in the Siedlce Archives, too.

Thus, I would suggest you to contact the Siedlce Archives first with the research request about your grandmother. Give them as many details as you can (probable year of birth, name, surname, parents, etc...). I would try to send them e-mail first, because not so long ago they started to reply to e-mails (but this is not a rule). I am sure that James' experience of dealing with Polish archives will be very helpful, click here for his article: http://polishorigins.com/document/archives_practical_hints

Good luck Exclamation
Send e-mail
carolt71

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:59 pm      Post subject:

Thank you very much for your prompt reply and I will try what you said. Meanwhile, I had sent Email two Lomza and this was my response. Could you translate? Thanks

Pliki zostały dołączone i są gotowe do wysłania z tą wiadomością. Carol
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:49 pm      Post subject:

There are no files attached. You can attach files with following extensions:

Archives -> Maximum Upload Size: 1 MB
ace gtar gz rar tar zip
Images -> Maximum Upload Size: 1 MB
gif jpeg jpg png tga tif
Send e-mail
carolt71

Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:01 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much again for your response. I'm not sure what you mean about the attachments. Is this the translation from my e-mail? What does it mean? Thanks again Carol
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:12 am      Post subject:

I didin't find content of your e-mail. Is it this:
"Pliki zostały dołączone i są gotowe do wysłania z tą wiadomością" ..??
Send e-mail
carolt71

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:19 pm      Post subject:

This is the response I, received from my email to them. I will try and attach a copy of the mail-I sent. Carol since it will not allow me to send this I will try and copy and paste it.

A
Does anyone speak and write English so then I can find my grandmother and great grandmother and great grandfather who I believe that in this province. Please tell me what to do in order to receive a birth certificate and or marriage license,? I am not sure exactly the dates but I can come pretty close.
Name: Florentyna CHMELEWSKI, female father Matthew CHMIELEWSKI, mother Eleanor Miloszewski BORN approximately 1884 -1890
Marriage of MatthewCHMIELEWSKI to Eleanor Miloszewski 1850s to 1860s
Thanks
Carolt Tamara
Send e-mail
1/2pint

Replies: 36

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:36 pm      Post subject:

Sorry. Provided wrong information.

Joyce
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm      Post subject:

Carolt71 wrote:
Could you translate? Thanks

Pliki zostały dołączone i są gotowe do wysłania z tą wiadomością.

It is a standard text formula when you attach files to your e-mail: ""Your files are attached and ready to send with this message". It means that you should receive reply in attachments to this e-mail.
Send e-mail
carolt71

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:39 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much for your response! Believe it or not they did send an attachment. I am so sorry because I didn't notice the paper clip. You really have a lively forum and I've been trying to keep up with the emails. I will try to either attach it or cut and paste it for you. For some reason, I always miss attachments and windows 2007. Thanks again Carol
I've tried to attach a letter from lomza but it will not take it. I'll try cut and paste.
Send e-mail
carolt71

Post Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:50 pm      Post subject:

I will try again Carol

OneARCHIWUM PAŃSTWOWE
w Białymstoku ODDZIAŁ w ŁOMŻY
18-400 Łomża, Aleja Legionów 36
tel. 086 473 53 01, e-mail: [email protected]

Pani
Carolt Tamara
[email protected]

Nasz znak: OŁ 843-1/09 Data:2009-01-07

Archiwum Państwowe w Białymstoku Oddział w Łomży uprzejmie informuje, że w swoim zasobie przechowuje akta stanu cywilnego większości parafii rzymsko – katolickich tylko z lat 1890-1907.
Akt z okresu wcześniejszego należy poszukiwać bezpośrednio w parafiach bądź w Archiwum Diecezjalnym w Łomży.
Abyśmy mogli udzielić jakiejkolwiek informacji na temat interesujących Panią osób o nazwisku Chmielewski musimy znać miejsce ich urodzenia lub zamieszkania.
Bez znajomości tych danych, poszukiwania mogą być bardzo czasochłonne i kosztowne, nie dające jednocześnie pewności, że odnalezione akty dotyczą interesujących Panią osób, gdyż nazwisko Chmielewski jest bardzo popularne na naszym terenie.

Kierownik Oddziału
mgr Leszek Kocoń

DB
Send e-mail
Zenon

Post Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:24 am      Post subject:

In short:

First, they say that in their resources there are mainly roman-catholic records from years 1890-1907.
You should look for your record directly in parish or in Archdiocese Archives in Lomza.
There has to be known at least place of birth to start any research without which it would very time- and money-consuming. Surname Chmielewski is very popular in their area.
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: