PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 11

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:22 am      Post subject: Looking for grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik

Jan Ignacy Naglik born 1901 near Kęty, Małopolskie, Poland

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find more information about my Polish grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik, born on October 20, 1901 in Nowa Wieś, Kęty, Małopolskie, Poland, about 80 kilometres south-west of Krakow. He grew up on his family farm around Nowa Wieś, Kęty, and worked on this farm until he was 29, and also served in the Austrian army during this time. Jan was Roman Catholic.

We are not sure of Jan's parents but they may have been: Ignacy Naglik, born on March 26, 1878 in Kańczuga, Nowa Wieś, Kęty, Małopolskie, and Anna Krys (possibly Krysa or Kryst). Jan Ignacy Naglik, the son, immigrated in March 1930 to Canada, arriving in eastern Canada and then moving quickly to Ontario, including the cities of Oshawa, Sudbury and later Toronto. Jan Ignacy Naglik later married Emelia Sokalski in Toronto in 1939. Ms. Sokalski was born in Kopychynsti, Ukraine (then Kopyczyńce, Galicia, Austria) to Jan Sokalski and Franciszka Krolicka.

While Jan Ignacy Naglik settled in Toronto, Canada in 1930, Jan had an uncle, Stanley Jack (Stanislaw Jakub) Naglik who emigrated from Nowa Wieś, Kęty to Detroit, Michigan, United States. Stanley Jack (Stanislaw Jakub) Naglik was born on Apr 23, 1886 in Kańczuga, Nowa Wies, Kęty, Małopolskie, Poland. Stanley Naglik emigrated to Detroit in 1903 and married Anna (Kleczek) Klyczek on Oct 30, 1905 in Delray, Detroit. Stanley Jack Naglik and Anna settled in Hamtramck, Detroit, Michigan and had 9 children, including their son, Stanley Joseph Naglik, born on Mar 11, 1908 in Detroit. The son, Stanley Joseph Naglik, married Stella Anna Mazurkewicz in 1932 in Essex, Ontario, Canada.

We would appreciate any information about these Naglik or Krysa families from Nowa Wieś or Kęty, Małopolskie, Poland. Please help us solve this mystery as to Jan Naglik's parents and family ties.

Thank you for any assistance.

Adrian

Last edited by [email protected] on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:09 pm; edited 11 times in total
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:47 pm      Post subject:

Hello Adrian,

I did some looking around to see if any of the parish records are online - they are not. I also found an old post in this forum from another member looking for family in Kęty. It confirms that you would need to contact the Parish in Poland directly to make inquiries. You can try this on your own, but it is very likely that you will need to hire a researcher in Poland to visit the parish in person, and then hope the parish priest is friendly and will search the books for the researcher. I know that Polish Origins can do this for you if you are interested.

On a side note: I have done research in the Galicia area of Poland for my own family, and it is not easy. The parish priests and archivists are often not very open to allowing their books to be searched. It takes someone who knows how to work with them. I suggest hiring a researcher.

From what I can tell, the name of the parish in Kęty is św.Małgorzaty i Katarzyny. Here is their website:
http://parafiakety.com.pl/

It is a lovely church. The oldest in the area.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. I wish I could be of more help, but because the books are not online, that is not possible.

Perhaps another member of the community can offer you additional information.

Wishing you all the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:56 pm      Post subject:

Hello Adrian,

FYI, do you have an Ancestry subscription? There are Naglik families living just 3-4 hours drive from Toronto in Detroit, MI. When I search for just the Naglik surname, I see quite a few for Michigan who came from Nowe Wies, in Austria Poland (Galicia). There is even a passenger list for Ignatz Naglik arriving in US in 1913 married but traveling alone. His wife is listed as Anna and it says he is going to Detroit to see his brother, Jozef Naglik.

I also found a passport application from Detroit Michigan for a Jan Naglik desiring to travel back to Poland to visit his family in Kęty Poland. The entire application is about 4 pages and it includes a handwritten letter from his brother in Kęty Poland.

I also found a family tree managed by a man in Poland who has Naglik family in his tree from Kęty, Nowe Wies.

Don't know if this would help you or not. I just found it interesting.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
[email protected]

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:24 pm      Post subject: Jan Ignacy Naglik and his Detroit Uncles, Stanley and Joseph

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for your wonderful advice and all the details searching this. It means so much to us!

You are correct that Jan Ignacy Naglik had at least one Uncle Stanley Jack (Stanislaw Jakub) Naglik, who emigrated to Detroit Michigan around 1903. We believe my grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik, may have had another Uncle which you mention as Joseph (Jozef) Naglik [born Oct. 4, 1893 in Nowa Wies, Kety] also who emigrated to Detroit in May 1910. We haven't been fully able to connect these 2 Detroit Naglik lines, but believe Stanley Jack and Jozef Naglik of Detroit may have been brothers.

I am very excited to learn more about this from your excellent research. We believe the Ignatz Naglik you mention could be Jan Ignacy Naglik's father.

Could you send me the entire passport application for Jan Naglik and the letter from his brother in Kety, Poland. I am very excited to review as I have not seen these. I am also interested in the family tree from the Naglik family from Kety, Nowe wies that you mention.

This is so much appreciated! You have been done a wonderful tracking this down for us! If you are able to find out more about Stanley Jacub or Jozef Naglik in Detroit this would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Adrian

Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:21 am; edited 7 times in total
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 pm      Post subject:

Hi again,

Here is the link to the first page of the passport document. You can advance through the pages to the handwritten letter. This is not your ancestor, but may be another relative this time from Chicago Illinois.

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/1174/images/USM1490_1812-0257?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=27ab5c828872e0de54a5566ba1e1c899&usePUB=true&_phsrc=gDl8&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.127412293.996699132.1603247850-1386523682.1593733130&pId=61680

Here is the link to view the family tree from Poland with Naglik ancestors:

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/52610737/person/13380791222/facts?_phsrc=gDl11&_phstart=successSource

I will see if I can find anything about Jack Stanley.....

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
[email protected]

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:27 pm      Post subject: Thank you!

Hi Cynthia,

You have been so helpful. I will look at these records shortly.

My assumption so far has been that Ignatz/Ignacy Naglik [born on Mar 26, 1878 in Kańczuga, Nowa Wieś, Kety] may have been the father of my Jan Ignacy Naglik, born in 1901.

I also assume that there may be 2 brothers of Ignatz Naglik who went to Detroit (the first one Stanley Jakub is known to be an Uncle of my grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik):

(1) Stanley Jack [Stanislaw Jakub] who was born on Apr 23, 1886 in Kańczuga, Nowa Wies, Kety, Małopolskie, Poland. He died on May 27, 1972 in Hamtramck, Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. He married Anna (Kleczek) Klyczek on Oct 30, 1905 in Delray, Detroit. They had 8 children including Stanley Joseph Naglik, born in Detroit in 1908, who my grandfather in fact visited in the 1950s in Hamtramck, Detroit. The son, Stanley Joseph Naglik married Stella Anna Mazurkewicz in April 1932 in Walkerville, Essex, Ontario; and

(2) Joseph (Jozef Franciszek) F. Naglik who was born on Oct 4, 1891 in Nowa Wieś, Kety, Małopolskie, Poland. He died in Oct 1969 in Detroit, Michigan. He married Elizabeth Paluch on Aug 18, 1913 in Detroit. They had 3 children: Rudolph, Ignatius James and Stella Elizabeth, all born in Detroit.

I am so appreciative of all your help as this is piecing things together! I thought it best to include all the dates and places to provide this information.

Thank you,

Adrian

Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:36 am; edited 3 times in total
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:05 pm      Post subject:

Hi again,

So, I found the marriage records for Stanislaw Jakob (1905) and for Jozef (1910). They were not brothers. They have different parents listed on their marriage records. Here are the links so you can see for yourself:

Stanley

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/9093/images/41326_342378-00620?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.82280670.996699132.1603247850-1386523682.1593733130&pId=694506

Joseph

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/9093/images/41326_342302-00577?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.111692876.996699132.1603247850-1386523682.1593733130&pId=2760572

Do you have the 1939 marriage record for Jan Ignacy? If not, I suggest you request it from the proper county in Canada. His marriage record should list his parents. Then you will know for sure.Here is a link for ordering marriage certificates from Ontario:

https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-get-copy-ontario-marriage-certificate-online#section-5

Best,
Cynthia

Last edited by mcdonald0517 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
[email protected]

Post Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:00 pm      Post subject: This is helpful!

Hi Cynthia,

You have been a wonderful help, so thank you!

I really appreciate you sending the records for Stanley and Joseph, and see from these documents that they are not brothers, so that narrows things down.

I liked your suggestion and will request the marriage record.

You mentioned in your earlier information that I may need to hire a researcher to get the Nowa Wies, Kety records. So my questions are:

(1) Do you think the Nowa Wies/Kety parish records are available at the Polish Central State Archives (AGAD) in Warsaw? It looks like from a prior post on this site that the Kety records are not in AGAD.
(2) If I were to e-mail the Kety church parish, with a Polish letter, do the church officials typically respond to e-mails with birth information, or is it worth sending them an e-mail request at all?

I would be interested in your quick thoughts on these questions.

Thank you so much as you have made this process so much quicker and simplified some the next steps.

All the best, and my sincere appreciation for your excellent help!

Adrian
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:07 pm      Post subject:

Hi Adrian,

You are very welcome. You will find this community to be very experienced, knowledgeable, and willing to help. And, if I may add, you have done very well doing the research on your own up to this point!

To answer your questions:

1. I don't know if the parish of Kety is available in the Warsaw archives. You would have to contact the archive and ask. The previous post on this forum that you refer to seems to indicate they are not in the archives, but that was some years ago - things may have changed.

2. You can certainly try to contact the parish priest on your own and see what happens. In my experience, most of the time, they will not reply, but it doesn't hurt to ask! You may get lucky.

3. I have used the services of both Polish Origins and also the service of a researcher outside of Polish Origins. I found the Polish Origins team to be very reasonably and comparably priced to the independent researcher. They are also very experienced, reliable, and thorough. My husband and I even did a customized genealogy tour with Polish Origins two years ago - the BEST experience ever - so, I am a bit partial. You can refer to a recent post in the forum from Zenon regarding the Polish Origins Genealogy Services for more details. You can contact them, ask your questions, get a quote, and decide for yourself if you want to engage them.

Some additional information on Joseph Naglik:

I found his New York passenger list. In that document, his mother is listed as Zofia living in Nowa Wies, and it says he is going to his father, Ignac, in Detroit Michigan! So, in his marriage record, his fathers name is Jan and in his passenger list it is Ignac - probably Jan Ignac (or Ignac Jan) is his full name. However, this Jan Ignac is not your direct ancestor because the dates don't line up. It seems this family repeated given names in each generation and among the cousins which makes it confusing for researchers. Here is the link to the passenger list; he is line 26 and there are 2 pages to this passenger list so be sure to advance to the next page:

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/7488/images/NYT715_1470-0173?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.104250752.165282527.1603320829-8802485.1593995157&pId=4008207170

Finally, since you plan to obtain Jan's marriage record in Ontario, you might want to also order his death certificate. Death records also may have the names of the deceased's parents.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
[email protected]

Post Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:26 pm      Post subject: Such Valuable Service!

Hi Cynthia,

You have been so kind, encouraging and generous with all your help! You have also saved time with recommending next steps based on thoughtful historic analysis of Polish research.

Your answers to my questions are very helpful and informative and will help me move forward with this.

All the best, and let Zenon and the broader volunteer team know of my appreciation of this web forum; it is just so invaluable to all these Polish families!

Adrian
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:36 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik

[email protected] wrote:
Jan Ignacy Naglik born 1901 near Kęty, Małopolskie, Poland

**Will Consider Gift Donation

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find more information about my Polish grandfather, Jan Ignacy Naglik, born on October 20, 1901 in Nowa Wieś, Kęty, Małopolskie, Poland, about 80 kilometres south-west of Krakow. He grew up on his family farm around Nowa Wieś, Kęty, and worked on this farm until he was 29, and also served in the Austrian army during this time. Jan was Roman Catholic.

We are not sure of Jan's parents but they may have been: Ignacy Naglik, born on March 26, 1878 in Kańczuga, Nowa Wieś, Kęty, Małopolskie, and Anna Krys (possibly Krysa or Kryst). Jan Ignacy Naglik, the son, immigrated in March 1930 to Canada, arriving in eastern Canada and then moving quickly to Ontario, including the cities of Oshawa, Sudbury and later Toronto. Jan Ignacy Naglik later married Emelia Sokalski in Toronto in 1939. Ms. Sokalski was born in Kopychynsti, Ukraine (then Kopyczyńce, Galicia, Austria) to Jan Sokalski and Franciszka Krolicka.

While Jan Ignacy Naglik settled in Toronto, Canada in 1930, Jan had an uncle, Stanley Jack (Stanislaw Jakub) Naglik who emigrated from Nowa Wieś, Kęty to Detroit, Michigan, United States. Stanley Jack (Stanislaw Jakub) Naglik was born on Apr 23, 1886 in Kańczuga, Nowa Wies, Kęty, Małopolskie, Poland. Stanley Naglik emigrated to Detroit in 1903 and married Anna (Kleczek) Klyczek on Oct 30, 1905 in Delray, Detroit. Stanley Jack Naglik and Anna settled in Hamtramck, Detroit, Michigan and had 9 children, including their son, Stanley Joseph Naglik, born on Mar 11, 1908 in Detroit. The son, Stanley Joseph Naglik, married Stella Anna Mazurkewicz in 1932 in Essex, Ontario, Canada.

We would appreciate any information about these Naglik or Krysa families from Nowa Wieś or Kęty, Małopolskie, Poland. Please help us solve this mystery as to Jan Naglik's parents and family ties.

Thank you for any assistance.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
I'm not sure whether you have come across this information or not, but here is a link to a very interesting description of the local history of Kety.
https://sztetl.org.pl/en/towns/k/507-kety/96-local-history/67101-local-history
It is rather dizzying, the number of disasters that people had to endure there!
I want to draw your attention to where it mentions WWI, as it talks about a specific brigade (led by Pilsudski himself!) that was reorganized in Kety. You said that your grandfather served in the army but of course that would have been much later, given his birth year. However, if he had older siblings, there is a possibility that they might have served in this unit.
Also a quick hello to Cynthia - - you have done amazing work, as always! I followed through and read the passport application (it is available on FamilySearch, luckily, since I do not have an Ancestry subscription) and the letter that was included was amazing. I have read quite a few letters from Polish families to their emigrant siblings, children, etc and rarely do they contain this kind of detailed info about economic conditions in Poland. What a great piece this was.
All the best,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:02 am      Post subject:

Hi again Adrian,

There is a mention of a Walenty Naglik during WWI, here:

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045747/1916-02-15/ed-1/seq-6/

The newspaper is the Polish language paper Dziennik Chicagoski, February 15, 1916, page 6. You will see a headline “Wiadomosci o zolnierzak” (“News about soldiers”) which covers 4 columns on the right side of the page. Look at the third column, find the paragraph of soldiers whose surnames begin with N, and you will see this entry:

“Naglik Walenty, 32 p. obr. kraj. 13 k., z Kańczugi, 1875, zaginał.”

I do not know what the abbreviations “32 p. obr. kraj. 13 k.” mean, however, I expect that this refers to his rank and military unit.
The phrase “z Kańczugi” means “from Kańczuga” and the word “zaginał” means that he was missing in action. 1875 could possibly be a year of birth.

This entire section of names is preceded by the sentence, “O żołnierzach, których nazwiska po dajemy poniżej, biuro wywiadowcze nie ma dotąd żadnej wiadomości” which translates to “The intelligence bureau has no news as yet about the soldiers whose names are listed below.”

I do not know if this Walenty is related to your grandfather, but given the location, I thought it might interest you.

Best regards,
Sophia
[email protected]

Post Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:18 pm      Post subject: Great historic information!

Hi Sophia,

Thank you for the wonderful historic article about Kety. It is one of the best I've read, and have included a note in my records about the military events in Kety. The article and historic photos were a real joy to see. The photos are right from the era that my grandfather lived there, so it was very nice to see how the city looked then!

The actual Polish language paper Dziennik Chicagoski, February 15, 1916, of the time period is so significant as describes actual events and the unfortunate missing soldiers, including Walenty Naglik. My grandfather would have served in the army likely a few years later but is so helpful to see.

If you notice any other articles about Nagliks in the newspapers, please let me know as it gives valuable context to the family history.

Thank you so much!

Adrian
[email protected]

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:42 am      Post subject: Marshal Józef Piłsudski's 1st Brigade

Hi Sophia,

You had mentioned that the 1915 brigade led by First Marshal and Komendant Józef Piłsudski's 1st Brigade of Legions. A short clip of this route is shown in the 1935 documentary "Banner of Freedom", which starts at 8 minutes 45 sec. to about 9 minutes 30 sec. The documentary goes through Kety but many other Polish cities as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLB6CRz9eaQ&fbclid=IwAR2kA57qvBautnbQjwR0C98hbLTWIZgInQbMWdg_XZKankN_H8Bst5Q9JUU from 8:45 to 9:30 time

Thank you for mentioning this to me and this is rare Polish footage of him leading his brigade during WW I through Poland.

Adrian
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:57 pm      Post subject: Re: Marshal Józef Piłsudski's 1st Brigade

[email protected] wrote:
Hi Sophia,

You had mentioned that the 1915 brigade led by First Marshal and Komendant Józef Piłsudski's 1st Brigade of Legions. A short clip of this route is shown in the 1935 documentary "Banner of Freedom", which starts at 8 minutes 45 sec. to about 9 minutes 30 sec. The documentary goes through Kety but many other Polish cities as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLB6CRz9eaQ&fbclid=IwAR2kA57qvBautnbQjwR0C98hbLTWIZgInQbMWdg_XZKankN_H8Bst5Q9JUU from 8:45 to 9:30 time

Thank you for mentioning this to me and this is rare Polish footage of him leading his brigade during WW I through Poland.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
Thank you! I will watch this, this evening.
Now, in the same spirit of sharing cool stuff, here is a link for you to follow:
https://loc.gov/collections/polish-declarations/about-this-collection/
It is about a huge project, the "Polish Declarations of Admiration and Friendship for the United States." This project, conducted in 1926, was one in which every school class of young pupils in Poland signed their names to papers which were bound together and presented to the U.S. as a gift for the U.S. 150th anniversary of independence. Scanned images are made freely available online through the Library of Congress.
Now, I could have simply attached the two images that I think will be of greatest interest to you, but I think first I will give you a chance to do the discovering on your own. If you have trouble navigating it, let me know and I can walk you through it. Let me give you a couple of hints, though.
First, once you've read the info on the link I provided, you want to pay attention to two specific things. The first is a link, most of the way down the page, called "Index for Volumes 14-110". You will follow that link, and in that index, find "Nowa Wies" (gee, there are a ton of those in Poland, but you already know that yours is in Biala) and make a note of the volume and the page numbers that relate to Nowa Wies. Return to the link I gave. The second thing to find there is the link to "Volumes 14-100". Follow that link. Find your volume. Find your two pages. Check it out!
Now, spoiler alert, I already went and looked to see if there are any Naglik, and I am reminded to tell you (if you are not that familiar with this) that it was customary in that era for (unmarried) young women to attach the suffix "-owna" to their surnames. So if you see any Naglik, it is a boy, and if you see any Naglikowna, it is a girl.
Since your grandfather was still in Poland in 1926, I have to say he must have known these kids.
Happy hunting!
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: