PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:57 am      Post subject: Cemeteries closed in Poland this weekend

Hi to everyone, especially those who live in Poland,
I see from the news that the cemeteries are closed in Poland this weekend because of Covid-19. This is usually a weekend for visiting ancestors' graves, a very important tradition. I want you to know that we are thinking of you, and how difficult it must be to adjust to this situation. Hopefully it will be normal again next year.
All the best to you, and stay safe,
Sophia
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:42 am      Post subject:

A very important tradition for decades (centuries?). The view of cemeteries although decorated but empty this year is so odd...

AllSaintsDay2020.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.62 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

AllSaintsDay2020.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:35 am      Post subject:

Sophia, thank you for letting us know about this change for our friends and family in Poland. I am so sorry to hear this, This lovely And powerful tradition will not only return next year, but I suspect that creative Polish families will find other ways to honor their deceased loved ones this year. Sending love to My PO friends in Poland and elsewhere during these distressing times. May you all be safe, may you all be happy, may you all be at peace......
Send e-mail
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4195

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:21 pm      Post subject:

Cemetaries in my town, bird's eye view. Very original residential area.

sie.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.68 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

sie.jpg

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1028

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:58 pm      Post subject:

Thank you, Zenon, for the beautiful wide-view photo of the cemetery! The graves are obviously cared for, so many flowers, just heart-warming.
Thank you, Cynthia, for your kind words. Those of us who are researching Polish heritage know that one aspect of understanding our ancestors is to understand how deeply meaningful this holiday is to Poles. I will light a candle on the mantle on Monday, it's the one thing I thought I could do to try to participate from afar.
Thank you, Marcel for the stunning night-time photo of the cemetery. So many lit candles! That is really a wonderful tribute.

Best wishes,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: