PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
August Zajkowski
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author

Replies: 9

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:20 am      Post subject: Old Polish Address

With all this talk of possible locations on where to look for records on my grandfather, August Zajkowski, I remembered a letter that my aunt wrote to my sister back in the 1970's. Here is a snippet containing an address my aunt used to write to to cousins in the "old country". In the letter, my aunt was talking about my grandmother's line, BIENIEWICZ and PODLEWSKI so I assumed the addressee, ZIELINSKI was related to grandma, not grandpa. I have since found some connections on grandma's side to Zielinsk line so don't know if this muddles the waters even more or actually sheds some light on where my grandfather may have lived in Poland.

Sincerely,
Joe Z

OldPolishAddress.JPG
 Description:
Old Polish Address
 Filesize:  35.44 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

OldPolishAddress.JPG

mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 691

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:55 am      Post subject:

Hi Joe,

Because this letter is concerning you grandmothers family, it does not help with locating your grandfather. They each came from different regions of Poland. They came to the USA separately, and married after they met in the USA.

If you need help locating records in Poland for your Grandmothers family line, let us know.

The suggestions we offered for your Grandfather are the best place to start your research in Poland. You can either write letters or call the parish and/or civil records office in Poland yourself. Or, you can hire a researcher in Poland to do the search for you - the records you need are not available online.

Best of luck in your research,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 618

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:01 am      Post subject: Re: Old Polish Address

jazyjoez wrote:
With all this talk of possible locations on where to look for records on my grandfather, August Zajkowski, I remembered a letter that my aunt wrote to my sister back in the 1970's. Here is a snippet containing an address my aunt used to write to to cousins in the "old country". In the letter, my aunt was talking about my grandmother's line, BIENIEWICZ and PODLEWSKI so I assumed the addressee, ZIELINSKI was related to grandma, not grandpa. I have since found some connections on grandma's side to Zielinsk line so don't know if this muddles the waters even more or actually sheds some light on where my grandfather may have lived in Poland.

Sincerely,
Joe Z

Hi Joe,

Since you have this old information regarding an address for your grandmother's line, I can help you understand what your aunt was writing, and how you would refer to this place today.

There are many places in Poland with the name Ostrowite. This one is the nearest to Płock, and formerly was within Płocka gubernia. The term gubernia was used when this area was part of the Russian partition of Poland, so you might see it on an old letter or an old ship manifest, for example, but after 1918 one would not use the phrase Płocka gubernia any longer in the address. The other phrase she wrote is “Cukrownia Ostrowite.” This is also no longer current. It is a reference to the train station which was at a sugar factory in Ostrowite and presumably where mail was delivered, if that is how she was addressing her letters to the family.

Here is the current way of specifying this place.
The village is: Ostrowite
The gmina (administrative district) is: gm. Brzuze
The powiat (similar to a county) is: pow. Rypiński
The voivodeship (similar to a state or province) is: Woj. Kujawsko-Pomorskie
The postal code is: 87-522

I agree with what Cynthia wrote regarding how you should proceed with your grandfather's line.
Best of luck to you!
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: