PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Occupation Translation

Jillian W wrote:
I have posted a query under 'Research in Poland' regarding the occupation of an ancestor together with an attachment showing extracts from the baptisms of two of his children and also an extract from my ancestor's burial.

Marcel has very kindly informed me that the baptism occupations read 'Satelles C.R. Circuli Jaslo' (watchman [guardian] of the Imperial-Royal District of Jaslo) and 'Satelles Circul pensione provisus' (a district guard receiving a salary).

He has also suggested that Dnowicki may be able to offer an explanation of this occupation - I'm uncertain if my ancestor, Jan, was in the military and guarding a person or a building (I believe that there were military barracks in Jaslo during the 1820's-1840's) - or if it related to something entirely different.

I am hoping that identifying his occupation will help me to discover his place of birth.

Hi Jillian,

Marcel’s definition of satelles as “watchman/guard” is quite accurate as the word was used in Classical Latin. If one were reading Cicero, Livy, or another Latin author of antiquity that definition would be dead on accurate. However, despite the fact that Latin has been a dead language in the sense that it is not the vernacular of a national or ethnic group Latin continued to live as a language of scholarship, diplomacy, etc. long after it died as a vernacular. It was the language of the bureaucracy of the Austrian Empire until after WWI and thus it was the language used in vital records like those you posted. The vocabulary of Latin was not static after it ceased to exist as a vernacular and so it is important to tweak the meaning of many Latin words to reflect their use at a particular time and place. In the 19th Century Austrian Empire satelles had the meaning of servant or retainer. The curia regis was the court of the king or the royal curia (just as today the Roman Curia describes the bureaucracy of the papal offices in Rome.

Your ancestor was a minor official in the royal offices in the district of Jasło. The records do not specify what job he did but his position provided him with an income. However, he was not a watchman who guarded either persons or buildings. If I were to hazard a guess, I would think that he was some type of clerk or secretary. Such minor officials most often were members of the minor aristocracy (szlachta). His position in the hierarchy of aristocracy is usually indicated by adjectives used in conjunction with his name. If you would post the entire entry rather than a cropped section it may be possible to be more specific about his position.

Re: burial record—it would be helpful to see the entire page with the column headings. Comparison with other entries would be helpful in reading the handwriting. The only word which I am able to see clearly is the last—viduus/widower.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translations

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Hoping you can assist with some translations of Baptism records and a Death record from the Rychnow parish please. The Baptism records are Anna (record 15) 1791, and Kazimierza (record 3) 1795. The Death record is for Marianna Mackowski (record 6) 1839. I've attached the full page of each record.

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Here are the translations. The child in the 1795 #3 baptism is a male (Kazimierz) not a female (Kazimierza). I hope that you find them useful.

Dave

Death Maryanna Maćkowska: #6 Rychnów
Maryanna Maćkowska, a widow, 70 years of age, mother of Marcin and of Anna, died in Rychnów on the 16th day of April in the Year of Our Lord 1839, fortified by the Sacraments*. I, Józef Szablowski, curate of Rychnów, do (so) attest.

Baptism of Anna: #15 Rychnów
In the same year (1791) on the 25th day of July, I, who (is named) above, baptized the daughter of the legitimate marital union of the industrious* Andrzej and Maryanna by the name of Anna. The sponsors were Jan, a single young man, and Agnieszka, a maiden, both from Rychnów.

Note: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.

Baptism of Kazimierz: #3 Rychnów
In the same year (1795) on the 22nd day of February, I, who (is named) above, baptized an infant by the name of Kazimierz, the son of the legitimate marital union of the industrious* Andrzej and Maryanna. Those lifting (him) up from the holy font** (were) Błażej, a single young man, with Agnieszka, the wife of Piotr.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to designate an individual as a peasant.
**Levantibus de Sacro Fonte/Those lifting (him) up from the holy font: a circumlocution for sponsors aka godparents.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Plunge Parish Death Record

David2019 wrote:
Hi,

Could you please assist me with the finer points of this 1807 Plunge Parish (Lithuania) death record (e.g. his title etc. and does it mention his wife's name or is that just more flowery language)?

Thanks

Hi,

I’m not sure of the language into which you want personal names translated so I will give the Polish version of his name first followed by the Lithuanian version and then the English form.

Much of the geography in the record is beyond my field of knowledge and thus several of the place names are my best guess. Until the 3rd Partition in 1795 the parish where he was buried was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth as a region of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1795 it was seized by Russia and directly incorporated into the Russian Empire and was never again Polish territory. While it was part of the Commonwealth it was known as the Duchy or the Eldership of Samogitia (Polish: Księstwo żmudzkie; Lithuanian: Žemaičių seniūnija ) (cf. attached map). The cropped section of the map of the Partitions of Poland shows the location of Plunge under the Polish version of the name, Płungiany.

Anyway, here follows the translation of the record. I hope you find it helpful.

Dave

Left Margin: Bukuntyszki(?)
Body of Entry: In the Year of Our Lord 1807 on the 18th day of the month of August his honor Pan* Jerzy (Polish) Džordžas (Lithuanian) George (English) Georgius (Latin) Dyrmowicz, treasurer of Rozieki(?), about 87 years of age, from the territory of Bununtyszki(?) of the parish of Plunge, fortified by the Sacraments of Penance, Extreme Unction, and Most Holy Viaticum**, died, whose body was buried in the parish cemetery.

Notes: Magnificus Dominus/his honor Pan: a title used for a court official. Pan is the Polish version of Sir/Lord.
**These three sacraments were collectively known as The Last Rites. Viaticum was the term used for Communion received before death.

Map_of_the_partition_of_the_Kingdom_of_Poland_and_the_Grand_Duchy_of_Lithuania_from_1799.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Map_of_the_partition_of_the_Kingdom_of_Poland_and_the_Grand_Duchy_of_Lithuania_from_1799.jpg

Eldership_of_Samogitia_(Žemaitija)_within_Lithuania_in_the_17th_century.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  487.52 KB

Eldership_of_Samogitia_(Žemaitija)_within_Lithuania_in_the_17th_century.png

David2019

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:43 am      Post subject: Plunge Parish Death Record

Thanks Dave, very hepful.
Jillian W

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:02 am      Post subject: Occupation Translation

My grateful thanks to Dave for the explanation of the Latin phrases.

Jan acted as a godparent at the baptism of a child whose father was a soldier in the 40th Line Infantry Regiment in Jaslo. His given occupation appears to be the same as the one given in his burial entry. Attached is the original entry which I'm guessing is in Jan's own handwriting as well as a duplicate in a different hand which may be easier to read.

I would appreciate any help in deciphering his occupation; also who was most likely to have been his employer - would it have been the military or the local government?

Jillian

1832_Baptism2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.62 MB

1832_Baptism2.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:08 pm      Post subject: Re: Occupation Translation

Jillian W wrote:
My grateful thanks to Dave for the explanation of the Latin phrases.

Jan acted as a godparent at the baptism of a child whose father was a soldier in the 40th Line Infantry Regiment in Jaslo. His given occupation appears to be the same as the one given in his burial entry. Attached is the original entry which I'm guessing is in Jan's own handwriting as well as a duplicate in a different hand which may be easier to read.

I would appreciate any help in deciphering his occupation; also who was most likely to have been his employer - would it have been the military or the local government?

Jillian

Hi Jillian,

Although the final word in yesterday’s death record post is viduus, Latin for widower, the rest of the words which do appear to be in the same type of script as that used in today’s posts, which is German script. I do not read German script and cannot help you with the occupation. The thread where you should post your question is German Records Translations—https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?p=53280#53280 I’m confident that Michael will be able to help you.

Wishing you success,

Dave
Jillian W

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 pm      Post subject: Occupation Translation

Dave, thank you so much for all your help - it's greatly appreciated. I have re-posted as suggested.
My very best wishes.
Jillian
trinkelson

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:57 pm      Post subject: Latin "scultetus"?

For the Latin literate, unlike me, am I interpreting correctly the Conditio column of the father as "scultetus"? I ask because a fair amount of googling does not bring up that word. The record in question is Akt no 10 at https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/3256/0/6.1/17/skan/full/BmI6c_3tRbCt4vKfa38kYw A screen grab is attached here also. If scultetus is correct, what does it mean? And, if a good resource for translating the various conditios is available, a link would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Screenshot_SCULTETUS.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  199.68 KB

Screenshot_SCULTETUS.png

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:05 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin "scultetus"?

trinkelson wrote:
For the Latin literate, unlike me, am I interpreting correctly the Conditio column of the father as "scultetus"? I ask because a fair amount of googling does not bring up that word. The record in question is Akt no 10 at https://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/3256/0/6.1/17/skan/full/BmI6c_3tRbCt4vKfa38kYw A screen grab is attached here also. If scultetus is correct, what does it mean? And, if a good resource for translating the various conditios is available, a link would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

You are reading the word correctly. Scultetus sculteti, m. is a village administrator. The Polish equivalent is sołtys or wójt.

In Post-Classical Latin there was a great increase in the number of words found in Latin vocabulary. Classical Latin had approximately 30,000 words. (English has over 250,000, although not all are in current use.) I’ve not seen any study which gives the number of Latin words in existence at the end of the 19th Century. However, Latin scholars after WWI planned to compile a single lexicon of Medieval Latin from the countries of Europe. Soon they realized that the task was not practical because of the number of words unique to each country and so the decision was made that each European country would compile its own lexicon. In Poland the project was interrupted by WWII but resumed after the war and is still ongoing. The last time I checked the editors were working on the letter t. Suffice it to say, the list of words is very long. Because there was considerable variation in Latin vocabulary as used in the various countries of Europe no “master list” of words has been compiled and thus the Google difficulty. The word scultetus was pretty much limited to Central Europe. It appears in Latin documents from Poland, Germany, and some other countries but was not used elsewhere. Another Central European word found on the same page is censuarius, which means a tenant farmer or a long term tenant. I doubt that Google would help with that word either. Another interesting Central European word (which I’ve only seen in records from German ruled Poland) is abcedrix, which means a female teacher (of elementary school). As a general rule, Latin words of the 3rd Declension which end in “or” are masculine. The feminine is formed by dropping the “or” and adding “rix” (e.g. braxeator is a male brewer [of beer] and braxeatrix is a female brewer).

In response to your question about words found in the “Conditio et professio patris” (Condition/social status/standing and profession/occupation of the father) column, I cannot think of any resource such as you seek. For the “conditio” part I’ll post a PDF which lists the specialized meaning of Latin terms used in Poland. Perhaps you may find it useful. A few years ago I compiled a list of about 500 Latin occupational terms which I have seen in Latin records from Poland. My thought was to do something similar to the list of Latin proper names with their Polish and English equivalents which I compiled and have posted several times over the years. Basically I could never decide whether it is worth the effort and whether or not I really want to spend the time on something which may or may not prove useful to those who use this forum.

On a somewhat related topic...since all my ancestors (except for my mother, who was born in Chicago) were from either Wielkopolskie or Kujawsko-Pomorskie I’ve found the Słownik geograficzny to be a valuable tool to better understand the places where my ancestors lived. Here is a link to the entry for Bytyń—the 2nd entry on the page: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_I/521 You may find it interesting and informative since Andrzej was a village official, probably of the village and estate which was owned by the Niegolewski family. It is interesting to note the high literacy rate there—of the 350 inhabitants more than 50% were literate, which was good for rural 19th Century Europe.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please post them.

Wishing you happy researching,

Dave

Vocabulary Distinguishing Classes of Peasants, Nobles & Clergy.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Vocabulary Distinguishing Classes of Peasants, Nobles & Clergy.pdf
 Filesize:  91.78 KB
 Downloaded:  262 Time(s)

trinkelson

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:29 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin "scultetus"?

Hi Dave

Thanks for your very informative response. I had consulted your list of Latin terms before posting the question here but had not found scultetus. But, nevertheless, the list has proven very useful on other occasions. Out of curiosity, do you have any insight on the etymology of scultetus? Thanks also for the link to the Słownik.

Regards

Richard
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:07 am      Post subject: Re: Latin "scultetus"?

trinkelson wrote:
Hi Dave

Thanks for your very informative response. I had consulted your list of Latin terms before posting the question here but had not found scultetus. But, nevertheless, the list has proven very useful on other occasions. Out of curiosity, do you have any insight on the etymology of scultetus? Thanks also for the link to the Słownik.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Sometimes the etymology of late Latin words is fairly obvious, but that is not the case here. I wouldn’t want to hazard a guess without anything solid to back up the guess. Sorry that I can’t be of more help.

Dave
td85

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:14 pm      Post subject:

I originally posted these in the Polish translations thread, but because they're actually written in Latin I've moved them to this topic. I'm researching my Dwulit ancestors from the villages of Boryslawka and Posada Rybotycka. They were Ruthenian Greek Catholics. Any help means a lot.

56_142_0_0_6787_00080.jpg
 Description:
House 3
 Filesize:  949.71 KB

56_142_0_0_6787_00080.jpg

56_142_0_0_6787_00085.jpg
 Description:
House 24 - Maiden name of Semko Dwulit's wife, Anna. Kind of looks like Czupki to me, but I could be wrong.
 Filesize:  1.02 MB

56_142_0_0_6787_00085.jpg

56_142_0_0_6787_00014.jpg
 Description:
House 42 - I can't make out the name of the Dwulit marrying Marya Bacz. It's unlike any name I've seen before.
 Filesize:  924.87 KB

56_142_0_0_6787_00014.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:33 pm      Post subject:

td85 wrote:
I originally posted these in the Polish translations thread, but because they're actually written in Latin I've moved them to this topic. I'm researching my Dwulit ancestors from the villages of Boryslawka and Posada Rybotycka. They were Ruthenian Greek Catholics. Any help means a lot.

Hi,

In the 1788 marriage record the groom is Sabbas (also can be spelled Sabas). The Latin form of the name is Sabba, ae, m. (also Saba, ae, m.). There are several saints of that name and the most famous was a monk who lived in the area near Jerusalem (born 439; died 532). He was venerated by eastern Christians, both Orthodox and Catholic.

In the house #24 record the maiden name also appears to me as Czupki. This opinion comes with the caveat that surnames are always in the vernacular and not in Latin so that opinion is based on how I read the handwriting.

I’m not sure what you would like for the house #3 record. Please let me know & I’ll help if I am able.

Thanks,

Dave
td85

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:44 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
td85 wrote:

Hi,

In the 1788 marriage record the groom is Sabbas (also can be spelled Sabas). The Latin form of the name is Sabba, ae, m. (also Saba, ae, m.). There are several saints of that name and the most famous was a monk who lived in the area near Jerusalem (born 439; died 532). He was venerated by eastern Christians, both Orthodox and Catholic.

In the house #24 record the maiden name also appears to me as Czupki. This opinion comes with the caveat that surnames are always in the vernacular and not in Latin so that opinion is based on how I read the handwriting.

I’m not sure what you would like for the house #3 record. Please let me know & I’ll help if I am able.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you so much, Dave.

With the record for house #3, it's the parents of Michael that I'm struggling with a little bit. I want to say it says his father is Stefan Kuchlyk? Son of Stefan and Anna Dwulit and for the mother, Nastazya Marunka is all I can really make out. Thank you again!
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:18 pm      Post subject:

td85 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
td85 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you so much, Dave.

With the record for house #3, it's the parents of Michael that I'm struggling with a little bit. I want to say it says his father is Stefan Kuchlyk? Son of Stefan and Anna Dwulit and for the mother, Nastazya Marunka is all I can really make out. Thank you again!

Hi,

Preliminary remarks...The priest did not always follow standard Latin spellings of given names. This is most understandable since Latin was not his primary ecclesiastical language. These records are civil transcripts of the parish registers and were created at the behest of the Austrian government which required that the transcripts be kept in the Latin language. At times the Polish version is substituted for the Latin form of some names. The way letters are formed is not always consistent or easy to read. Spellings in Polish are what was commonly used during the 19th Century but are not the same as current Polish spellings.

I believe that your interpretation of the father’s surname as Kuchlyk is correct. (The same surname appears in the next entry for the child Gregorius/Grzegorz.

Here are the entries as they were written:
Stefanus Kuchlyk rust. ex patre Stefano et matre Maryanna de Dwulit.
Entry in standard Latin: Stephanus Kuchlyk rusticus ex patre Stephano et matre Marianna de Dwulit.
Translation: Stephen (Polish: Stefan or Szczepan) Kuchlyk, a farmer, (born) of the father Stephen (Polish: Stefan or Szczepan) and the mother Maryanna (19th Century Polish spelling: Maryanna; Contemporary Polish spelling: Marianna) née Dwulit
The Mother as written: Tatianna ex patre Jacenty Skryp et matre Nastazya de Marunka
Entry in standard Latin: Tatianna ex patre Hyacintho Skryp et matre Nastasia de Marunka.
Translation: Tatianna (born) of the father Hyacinth (Polish:Jacenty) Skryp and of the mother Nastasia (19th Cent. Polish spelling: Nastazya; Contemporary Polish spelling: Nastazja née Marunka.

Notes: Polish has two formal versions for the name Stephen, Stefan and Szczepan, It is not self-evident which form he would have used in daily life.
Tatianna was reputed to be a 3rd Century Roman martyr. She was venerated in the western (Roman) and the eastern churches—both Orthodox & Catholic.
Nastasia and Anastasia are variations of the Greek word which means resurrection (ἀνάστασις).

I hope this answers your questions.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 190 of 274

Jump to: