PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Janiak and Sopczak Families
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author

Replies: 104

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:07 am      Post subject:

Thank you Sophia! This list is very useful for future research! So the farthest I could possibly go back in my genealogy is 1722? Did you mention that the site you’ve been using has indexes to the records?

Thanks you!

Nick
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:13 am      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Thank you Sophia! This list is very useful for future research! So the farthest I could possibly go back in my genealogy is 1722? Did you mention that the site you’ve been using has indexes to the records?

Thanks you!

Nick

Hi Nick!

How far you can go back in your family, I cannot say. Along the way, as you have records translated, you may find particular ancestors have come from other towns, so then you'd have to see how far back the records go in another place. Best to be very methodical and go one generation at a time. Bear in mind that marriages typically happened in the parish of the bride. Where a family lived after the marriage, who can say? So you have to be flexible in your search.

Yes, the records that I have found for you were found by use of indices. That's the good news. The challenge is finding the indices and then knowing how to work from them. Here's what you have. There will be a church book. It may cover only one year (or perhaps a range of years). Each book typically includes births, then a birth index, then marriages, then a marriage index, then deaths, then a death index (but it doesn't always follow this pattern). In the years in which I was looking, these records were in Russian and the index will also be in Russian, and (not to put too fine of a point on this) the names will be alphabetized according to the Russian alphabet. So, your Janiak are generally at the end of the index (except, who knows why, some of the indices I looked at were not in this order).

If you really want to pursue this (of course you do! you're hooked on genealogy!), I'll write you a little tutorial and you can give it a go.

Best regards,
Sophia
nick3371

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:45 am      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,

I already was able to find Stephen Janiak, son of Walenty and Marianna using this method! Thank you! Before, I was using the indexes as if they were in Polish, looking for a "J'. But I found the Russian form of Janiak and quickly found the record!

Thank you!

Nick
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:33 pm      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hi Sophia,

I already was able to find Stephen Janiak, son of Walenty and Marianna using this method! Thank you! Before, I was using the indexes as if they were in Polish, looking for a "J'. But I found the Russian form of Janiak and quickly found the record!

Thank you!

Nick

Congrats on your success! It's so much more rewarding to find them yourself than having someone find them for you.
Go get some more of them!
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:27 pm      Post subject:

Hi Nick,
You mentioned that you did not find any passenger manifest that was convincingly Wojciech Janiak's.
Did you look at this one?
He is on line 1. Born in Brzezno. Going to Manchester, Mass. Relative in Poland is his wife Teofila. The one odd thing is that his last residence is given as Laskowice, and Teofila's address is given as Laskowice, Kalisz; however, the petition you posted for Joseph Janiak gives a last residence as Laskowec and Mary Marcin's petition gives her last residence as Kalisz.
Best,
Sophia

record-image_(2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.99 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

record-image_(2).jpg

record-image_(3).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.79 MB

record-image_(3).jpg

nick3371

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:10 pm      Post subject:

Wow Sophia where did you find this!? This is definitely him-the family first settled in Manchester, MA before moving to Chelsea, MA. This is amazing! I looked on ancestry.com and FamilySearch.com just the other day and nothing came up. This is awesome-thank you so much for your help!!

Nick
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:33 pm      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hi Sophia and Dave,

This is amazing! Finally a direct connection to my Polish ancestors! Dave, thank you so much for giving us this very useful hint. I am so happy to finally have more answers. Sophia, thank you so much for looking into Dave's hint! I know how tough it can be staring at the computer screen trying to decipher names and I appreciate it so much! You two are the best! I will look through the Morzyslaw records and see if I can find anything else. Would Brzyzno also be in the Morzyslaw parish records?

Thank you so much!

Nick

Hi Nick & Sophia,

The answer to Nick’s question about the location of the records for the village (wieś) and the manorial farmstead (folwark) of Brzeźno is that they would be found in the parish of Konin. They are civil transcripts, are housed in the Polish National Archive branch in Konin, and will be in Russian for the time period you need.

The info about the records for the parish of Morzysław which Sophia pulled for you from the Poznan Project site is very valuable and has already proved to be helpful for you. I would just like to explain a bit about the types of records available from Poland. In short, there are two types of “vital” records which can be available—ecclesiastical sacramental records and civil transcripts. Civil records did not exist before the time of the Partitions. Prior to that time ecclesiastical records substituted for civil records. The Roman Catholic Church first mandated the keeping of sacramental records during the Council of Trent in 1575. That requirement took effect in Poland during the early 1600s. Often the earliest record books suffered from environmental degradation and many no longer exist. Yes, 1722 would probably be the earliest year you would find records for Morzysław but as Sophia mentioned records for ancestors from other parishes may go back beyond that year. 1722 is not too shabby. Keep in mind that colonial records for what was Mass. Colony are pretty sketchy for the same time frame, but that is a different topic.

There is a lot to be learned about the records for the parish of Morzysław on Family Search. Family Search microfilmed the records at the Polish National Archive and the Diocesan Archive in Włocławek. The records on Family Search would be the place to find the records from the Diocesan Archive in Włocławek since records from that archive are not online. Any records prior to 1809 would have to come from the diocesan archive and that would mean using your computer at a Family History Center (post pandemic restrictions). The film notes in the Family Search catalog tell you what type of records you are looking at and where they were filmed.

Here is the link and the notes for Morzysław
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=69367&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Pozna%C5%84%2C%20Morzys%C5%82aw%20(Konin)%22&subjectsOpen=415571-50

Księgi metrykalne, 1722-1882 (the ecclesiastical records)

Notes
Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Diecezjalne we Włocławku.
Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages and deaths for Morzysław (Konin), Poznań, Poland. Text in Latin.

And here are the notes for the civil transcripts:
Kopie księg metrykalnych, 1809-1885

Notes
Mikrofilm zrobiony z rękopisów w Archiwum Państwowe w Poznaniu i w Archiwum Diecezjalne we Włocławku.
Civil transcripts of Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages and deaths of Morzysław (Konin), Poznań, Poland. Includes the towns: Chorzeń, Kurów, Laskowiec, Miȩdzylesie, Nieslusz, Patrzyków, etc. Text in Polish until 1868, then in Russian. Some volumes individually indexed.

And here is the link for Konin and a list of the villages whose records are in the parish of Konin:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=69238&query=%2Bplace%3A%22Poland%2C%20Pozna%C5%84%2C%20Konin%20(Konin)%22&subjectsOpen=508521-50

Civil transcripts of Roman Catholic parish register of births, marriages and deaths for Konin (Konin), Poznań, Poland. Includes Brzeźno, Głodno, Potaźniki, Wilków, etc. Some volumes individually indexed. Text in Polish until 1868, then in Russian.

Much has changed in the region where your ancestors lived since 1900. Some villages are now part of the town of Konin and new parishes have been founded in the town & environs. The official parish of Konin where the records were kept is the parish known as Fara. It is the parish of St. Bartholomew the Apostle (Parafia Rzymskokatolicka Św. Bartłomieja Apostoła w Koninie FARA). That info is not of great import for your current research and woild only be useful should you need to contact the parish in the future.

BTW On the manifest Sophia found Laskówiec is the place. It was a village midway between Wola and Morzysław.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
nick3371

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:35 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Dave! This information will help me greatly. I've been struggling to find where exactly to search for records since, like you said, the geography of the region has changes so much. This will be a great guide for me. I found it very interesting learning the history/types of Polish records.

If either of you gets a chance, would you be able to double check the Konin records for around 1880 for Wojciech's birth? Since Sophia found the manifest with his birth in Brzezno, he should be in these records right? I didn't see him in the index and the records are harder to read than the more recent (1900s) records.

Thank you both so much! This forum is the best!

Nick
nick3371

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:09 pm      Post subject:

Hi again,

I might have found a record for Wojciech in 1880 but I am unsure if it is his birth or if he is the father? It is number 58 in the book. Scan 30-31 on the website. Ill attach it below also.
nick3371

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:20 pm      Post subject:

Actually, I think this is it! I believe it says that the father is Walenty (which matches what I have) and the mother is Jadwiga- cant read last name. Jessie is the name I have for Wojciech's mother so Jadwiga seems close?

#69 in 1880 book (scan 36 on the website)

Janiak, Wojciech Birth 1880.jpg
 Description:
Wojciech birth?
 Filesize:  1.12 MB

Janiak, Wojciech Birth 1880.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:26 am      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Actually, I think this is it! I believe it says that the father is Walenty (which matches what I have) and the mother is Jadwiga- cant read last name. Jessie is the name I have for Wojciech's mother so Jadwiga seems close?

Hi Nick,
Well done! It looks like you've got him. The child is definetely Wojciech, the father is Walenty and the mother is Jadwiga. As for her surname, I struggle a little with the first letter(s) but based on having one cup of coffee so far, I see it as Strzelezyk. It will be interesting to see how Marcel reads it. When you post it for translation, it can be helpful for him if you mention the name of the place (Konin) and give the image and even better if you give the link (which I did not provide you when I gave you those other images, sorry). Usually, Marcel sends a quick reply that he is working on it, which I haven't seen yet for your requests, but he has had quite a lot of them to do lately. Then, just keep checking back for when he posts the translation.
Regarding this birth record, it is in 1880 which matches with him being 27 years old on the ship manifest, as opposed to the original guess of his birth being in 1882.
Regarding the ship manifest, you asked where I found it - - on Family Search. As a search term, I used the mis-spelling "Yaniak" and checked the box to use that exact spelling. It confirmed my guess that some poor indexer looked at the handwriting and saw the leading letter as a Y rather than as a J. It's a handy trick, when you are searching, to imagine the various ways in which handwriting could have been read.
It seems like you are well on your way to getting to know this part of your family tree.
All the best!
Sophia

Last edited by Sophia on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:40 am      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hi again,

I might have found a record for Wojciech in 1880 but I am unsure if it is his birth or if he is the father? It is number 58 in the book. Scan 30-31 on the website. Ill attach it below also.

Nick,
You may have already decided that this one is not in your direct line, but since you asked, I looked at it anyway. The father is Wojciech Janiak, the mother is Katarzyna and the child is Jozef.
Might be worth keeping it in the "possibly related" category.
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:01 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
nick3371 wrote:

Hi Nick,
Well done! It looks like you've got him. The child is definetely Wojciech, the father is Walenty and the mother is Jadwiga. As for her surname, I struggle a little with the first letter(s) but based on having one cup of coffee so far, I see it as Strzelezyk. It will be interesting to see how Marcel reads it. When you post it for translation, it can be helpful for him if you mention the name of the place (Konin) and give the image and even better if you give the link (which I did not provide you when I gave you those other images, sorry). Usually, Marcel sends a quick reply that he is working on it, which I haven't seen yet for your requests, but he has had quite a lot of them to do lately. Then, just keep checking back for when he posts the translation.
Regarding this birth record, it is in 1880 which matches with him being 27 years old on the ship manifest, as opposed to the original guess of his birth being in 1882.
Regarding the ship manifest, you asked where I found it - - on Family Search. As a search term, I used the mis-spelling "Yaniak" and checked the box to use that exact spelling. It confirmed my guess that some poor indexer looked at the handwriting and saw the leading letter as a Y rather than as a J. It's a handy trick, when you are searching, to imagine the various ways in which handwriting could have been read.
It seems like you are well on your way to getting to know this part of your family tree.
All the best!
Sophia

Hi Nick & Sophia,

I believe the maiden name is Strzelczyk which seems to be confirmed by the attached image from the Poznan Project. Everything matches up with that Walenty & Jadwiga being his parents. They married in the parish of Wilczyn. Attached is their marriage record. At this point things get easier in the sense that the records are in Polish and you no longer need to deal with the Cyrillic alphabet. There is a lot to be learned from this marriage record. In addition to the names & ages of the bride and groom the record gives the names of their parents and where they were residing in 1856 and their occupations as well as the occupation of the groom. The groom and his parents were all farmhands which meant that they most likely moved around quite a bit. The father of the groom was already deceased since one of the witnesses, Stanislaw Olszewski, is named as the stepfather of the groom. The parents of the bride were living on a manorial farmstead and were working as shepherds. This meant that they were working for a major landowner rather than a small time farmer. Thus there is no clue to how frequently they moved around. The Słownik geograficzny has a fairly long entry for Wilczyn. It is the first entry for Wilczyn. It is about 37 km (23 miles north of Konin. Here is a link to the entry: http://dir.icm.edu.pl/pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_XIII/461
The parish of Wilczyn has a website. It is part of the Archdiocese of Gniezno. (Konin is part of the Diocese of Włocławek.) The current parish church in Wilczyn was erected in 1566 and was remodeled/rebuilt during the 19th Century. Here is a link to the parish website: http://parafiawilczyn.pl/

Three tools which may prove helpful for you are Mapa Szukacz https://mapa.szukacz.pl/mapnik.html and Geneteka https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/ and the Poznan Project http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/
If you have questions regarding the tools available just ask and I’m sure that Sophia or I or another forum participant can help you.

I hope that you are enjoying your research and your successes.

Dave

Screenshot_2020-11-13 Poznan Project.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.52 KB

Screenshot_2020-11-13 Poznan Project.png

54_827_0_6.1_56_18694565.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  583.02 KB

54_827_0_6.1_56_18694565.jpg

nick3371

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:35 pm      Post subject:

Thank you Dave! I further confirmed that Walenty and Jadwiga are the parents by finding Wojciech's known siblings' birth records. I will use the Poznam Project site and see what I can find. Thank you both so much! I'm sure Ill be back with questions soon.

Nick
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:44 am      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Thank you Dave! I further confirmed that Walenty and Jadwiga are the parents by finding Wojciech's known siblings' birth records. I will use the Poznam Project site and see what I can find. Thank you both so much! I'm sure Ill be back with questions soon.

Nick

Hi Nick,

I thought of another database which should be useful in your research, BaSia (http://www.basia.famula.pl/en/ ). It, like the Poznan Project, concentrates on Wielkopolskie. I did a quick search for Janiak & Strzelczyk and got the attached hits. These ancestors of yours are the grandparents of your Wojciech Janiak and I realize that you are not that far back yet but I’m attaching the records for your future use when the time is right.

Most of Wielkopolskie was under German control during the 19th Century but a portion of the area, like where your ancestors lived, was under Russian control. In the area under Russian control the language used in vital records was Polish from 1808-9 until 1868 and then Russian from 1868 until the end of WWI. Since the attached records date from prior to 1868 they are in Polish.

Wishing you continued success in your research,

Dave

1857 Wilczyn #59 death Marcjanna Olszewska, mother of Walenty Janiak.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  493.24 KB

1857 Wilczyn #59 death Marcjanna Olszewska, mother of Walenty Janiak.jpg

1857 Wilczyn #2 death Antoni Strzelczyk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  453.45 KB

1857 Wilczyn #2 death Antoni Strzelczyk.jpg

1839 Wilczyn #71 birth Jadwiga Strzelczyk.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  436.15 KB

1839 Wilczyn #71 birth Jadwiga Strzelczyk.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Page 2 of 5

Jump to: