PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 10

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:24 pm      Post subject: Kotow Siedlec

I have a passenger listing for Tomasz Wojtkowski in the year 1913. He landed in Baltimore Maryland on the ship Cassel with his wife Maryanna. He may be my grandfather.
In the record is says he was born in Kotow Siedlec Russia.
Can anyone tell me what the name of that town may be today? And also is there a contact group in Maryland who can help me with research?
Thank you

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:12 pm      Post subject: Re: Kotow Siedlec

Tom Gonsiewski wrote:
I have a passenger listing for Tomasz Wojtkowski in the year 1913. He landed in Baltimore Maryland on the ship Cassel with his wife Maryanna. He may be my grandfather.
In the record is says he was born in Kotow Siedlec Russia.
Can anyone tell me what the name of that town may be today? And also is there a contact group in Maryland who can help me with research?
Thank you

Hi Tom,
I think it is near Gdansk, and is actually Siedlce and not Siedlec. I know there are many places with these names, but my reasoning is based on his manifest.
If you look at the manifest for the Cassel, Tomasz is not traveling with his wife Maryanna. Her name is given as his closest relative in Poland. He is, however, traveling with the man on the next line, "Franz Jacubjak," whose home town is given as Kosowo, and there is a Kosowo just west of this Siedlce. The second page of the manifest shows them going to the same residence.
Otherwise, you may try looking at maps to see if there is another Kosowo nearer to a Siedlec.
Hope this helps,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:01 am      Post subject:

Just to follow up with you, if you try using a map tool like Google maps, you will miss out on a lot of little villages in Poland. If you're not familiar with this, you may find it more helpful:
https://mapa.szukacz.pl/mapnik.html
In the box that says "miejsowosc" you start typing the name of the place that interests you. For example, type "Siedl" and it starts offering you choices like Siedlec and Siedlce. Pick one of them. Then click on "pokaz" and it will show you the towns on the map. Look at the lower right-hand side of the page, (lista trafien) and you can scroll through the numerous places that have that name. You can click on them to see where they are on the map. You also learn from it the town's location (wojewodztwo, powiat and gmina) and its population (osob). Alternatively, after clicking "pokaz", put your mouse on the map and hover over one of the pink or blue circles, for information about that place.
Good luck with it,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: