PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 104

Post Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:31 pm      Post subject: Wojtowicz and Sokol Families

Hello,

I am looking for information on Amelia Wojtowicz, daughter of Jakub Wojtowicz and Henryka Janas. She was born around 1 January 1894 in Zarnowiec, Jedlicze, Poland. She married Michael Sokol (or Czylak) in 1913. Michael was born 18 July 1895 in Vilna, Poland now Lithuania to Szymon Sokol and Anna Anacka. Their marriage record from Lowell, MA lists his birth town as Dukuclowa, Vilgrab and his last name as Czylak, but any other records that I have list his last name as Sokol. I can't locate Dukuclowa anywhere near Vilna-does-anyone know of it or how to locate it? Could anyone lead me to online resources for Zarnowiec or Dukuclowa or tell me where to search next? Any information about the family would be helpful.

Thanks!

Nick
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:30 am      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz and Sokol Families

nick3371 wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for information on Amelia Wojtowicz, daughter of Jakub Wojtowicz and Henryka Janas. She was born around 1 January 1894 in Zarnowiec, Jedlicze, Poland. She married Michael Sokol (or Czylak) in 1913. Michael was born 18 July 1895 in Vilna, Poland now Lithuania to Szymon Sokol and Anna Anacka. Their marriage record from Lowell, MA lists his birth town as Dukuclowa, Vilgrab and his last name as Czylak, but any other records that I have list his last name as Sokol. I can't locate Dukuclowa anywhere near Vilna-does-anyone know of it or how to locate it? Could anyone lead me to online resources for Zarnowiec or Dukuclowa or tell me where to search next? Any information about the family would be helpful.

Thanks!

Nick

As for Żarnowiec: I made a phone call to the Registry Office located in Jedlicze and asked for research. They told they would call me within 2 days and give me the results. I asked to find Amelia's birth certificate.
Online resourses for the romancatholic parish of Jedlicze do not contain this birth certificate.
Online documents look like they were recreated later and do not contain the births from Żarnowiec.
So, lets wait for the information from Jedlicze Registry Office.

PAYPAL: [email protected]

Last edited by marcelproust on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:37 am      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz and Sokol Families

nick3371 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Nick

Hi Nick,
Interesting puzzle, about two very different surnames, Sokol and Czylak. I am curious what kinds of records you have, that show the surname as Sokol. As you may know, Sokol is the Polish word for falcon, and there was a rather strong organization in the U.S. of Polish Falcons (lots of information available if you do a search on that term).
Sophia
nick3371

Post Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:10 pm      Post subject:

Thank you for searching the records for me! I am excited to hear what you learn from the Jedlicze office. Thank you! Could you send me a link to the Jedlicze Roman Catholic Parish records. I have other family there and would like to search the records for them also.

The only record I have with the surname Czylak is the marriage certificate from the church and the birth of their first daughter it was spelled Culeck. I think the spelling "Culeck" was just a transcription error from the state records office. Every other record I have lists the surname spelled as Sokol. This includes census records, birth certificates for other children, death certificates, and newspaper articles, etc. I appreciate you all looking into this!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:35 am      Post subject: Re: Wojtowicz and Sokol Families

nick3371 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Nick

Hi again Nick,
I looked on the FamilySearch website for the marriage record, and all they show is a book with information in columns. I could see, as you had said, they show Michael's surname as Czylak, but there was no info there about his birth town, so I am guessing you have that from another source? From an actual church record of the marriage, or from a marriage license application? Since I don't have an Ancestry subscription, I did not look there. If you can post an image of it, that would be great. I'd like to see if I can help you figure out where "Dukuclowa, Vilgrab" is in relation to Vilnius / Wilno.
Best regards,
Sophia
nick3371

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,

Here is the marriage record from Holy Trinity Church in Lowell, MA from 13 September 1913. Thank you!

Holy Trinity, Lowell_1913_marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Holy Trinity, Lowell_1913_marriage.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:31 pm      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hi Sophia,

Here is the marriage record from Holy Trinity Church in Lowell, MA from 13 September 1913. Thank you!

Thanks for the image of the document! I still need to brew on it. I can say, however, that what you were reading as "Vilgrab" is actually "Vil. gub." meaning the gubernia of Vilnius. A gubernia was, in the time of the Russian partitions, a "governorate" or large area somewhat akin to a state or province. So that piece of information has not changed where we need to look, but it does give you a tiny correction to what you have so far. By the way, I read the ending of the town as "....dowa" rather than "....clowa."
I will post again if a light bulb brightens...
Sophia
nick3371

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:19 pm      Post subject:

That's interesting, I had no idea! Thank you Sophia, looking forward to seeing what you can find.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:15 pm      Post subject:

Slownik Geograficzny is giving a few villages, none of which seem to me to be in the right area but it would be helpful if Marcel could read these, since they are in Polish:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_II/94 also, poprzednia strona
Dokudow, Dokudowo
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:04 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Slownik Geograficzny is giving a few villages, none of which seem to me to be in the right area but it would be helpful if Marcel could read these, since they are in Polish:
http://dir.icm.edu.pl/Slownik_geograficzny/Tom_II/94 also, poprzednia strona
Dokudow, Dokudowo

Hi Sophia & Nick,

In this instance the Słownik is of no help. None of the entries are for the location you need. The Skorowidz is the source of choice. It was published in about 1933 and lists places in the Second Polish Republic. It does include 3 places named Dokudowo in woj. of Wilno. They are a folwark, village, and small town all in proximity to each other and all belong to the RC parish of Gawja. The villages are now all in Belarus, are spelled Dakudava and are located c. 150 km to the west of Minsk. An Orthodox parish was in the town of Dokudowo.

I can’t offer any research tips since I haven’t a clue how one would research in Belarus. Perhaps another forum member could offer suggestions.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Screenshot_2020-11-03 Skorowidz miejscowości Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z oznaczeniem terytorjalnie im właściwych władz i ur[...].png
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.19 KB

Screenshot_2020-11-03 Skorowidz miejscowości Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z oznaczeniem terytorjalnie im właściwych władz i ur[...].png

nick3371

Post Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:49 pm      Post subject:

Wow thank you Dave! That is very interesting to learn the changing geography of the region. I will look into how to go about researching Belarusian records. Thank you all!
nick3371

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:14 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I am looking for the immigration record/passenger manifest for Michael Czylak or Michael Sokol. From what we learned above, he was from Dokudowa, Vilna gubernia which is now in Belarus. His marriage record from Lowell, MA shows that he was married 13 September 1913 to Amelia Wojtowicz. But his naturalization papers show that he immigrated in October 1913 from Hamburg, which would be after his marriage. I think he possibly just reported this date wrong? I've searched for his passenger manifest, searching both last names but haven't had much luck. I'm looking to locate it to gain more information about his life before coming to America/relatives etc.

Thank you,

Nick

Sokol, Michael Naturalization.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  953.87 KB

Sokol, Michael Naturalization.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:18 am      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for the immigration record/passenger manifest for Michael Czylak or Michael Sokol. From what we learned above, he was from Dokudowa, Vilna gubernia which is now in Belarus. His marriage record from Lowell, MA shows that he was married 13 September 1913 to Amelia Wojtowicz. But his naturalization papers show that he immigrated in October 1913 from Hamburg, which would be after his marriage. I think he possibly just reported this date wrong? I've searched for his passenger manifest, searching both last names but haven't had much luck. I'm looking to locate it to gain more information about his life before coming to America/relatives etc.

Thank you,

Nick

Hi Nick,
Looking at what you have, so far, my best guess is that there is more than one Amelia Wojtowicz who lived in Lowell, MA. One married Michael Czylak (you posted their marriage record). The other married Michael Sokol (their record may or may not be online). That would solve your problem of him getting married before he actually arrived in the country. Do you have any additional documents that would squash this hypothesis?
Perhaps you have done some searching for passenger manifests for Amelia?
If I get the chance this weekend, I will look for passenger manifests for Michael Sokol and Michael Czylak.
Sophia
nick3371

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am      Post subject:

Hi Sophia,

Attached is the immigration record for Amelia Wojtowicz. Her father, Jakob Wojtowicz had immigrated to USA before her and she was meeting him. The marriage record I posted was an old one from a family member so I believe this is correct. There was in fact two Michael Sokols in the Lowell, MA area around this time. There was another Amelia Wojtowicz but she died young. I do believe this is the same person, but I am unsure why he changed last names? Attached is also the Massachusetts record #853. Everything matches what the family's known except the last name. Very strange! Thanks for looking into this, you've been very helpful this week!

Nick

Marriage record.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 MB

Marriage record.jpg

Wojtowicz, Amelia 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  795.96 KB

Wojtowicz, Amelia 2.jpg

Wojtowicz, Amelia 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  787.62 KB

Wojtowicz, Amelia 1.jpg

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:49 am      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hi Sophia,

Attached is the immigration record for Amelia Wojtowicz. Her father, Jakob Wojtowicz had immigrated to USA before her and she was meeting him. The marriage record I posted was an old one from a family member so I believe this is correct. There was in fact two Michael Sokols in the Lowell, MA area around this time. There was another Amelia Wojtowicz but she died young. I do believe this is the same person, but I am unsure why he changed last names? Attached is also the Massachusetts record #853. Everything matches what the family's known except the last name. Very strange! Thanks for looking into this, you've been very helpful this week!

Nick

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the images of documents. It all helps. I need some time to think about it.
In the meantime, I want to make note of a small (maybe insignificant) detail that interests me. If you look at the page you provided of the marriages from Lowell, 16 in a row were performed by the same man, priest Alex Ogonowski. It looks like the priest came in to the city clerk on October 20, 1913 with his list of marriages that he performed from early September through to mid-October (at least, since there may be even more of them on the next page of the Lowell records). Just interesting, to see such a batch of data submitted all at once. He must have been one busy guy! Let's hope he was a very accurate record keeper.
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: