PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:04 pm      Post subject: Name of place of residence

My Skroszepecki (Skrzypecki/Skrypek variants) ancestors traveled from Hamburg to Leith then from Glasgow to New York. Two years prior to their emigration, these people were in MLODZIESZYN and this is where Julia had her son Josef (1887).

Now, on this passenger list, I know it is German but they are German Polish. Column #5 and #6 is referring to their last residence. 1. Does anyone know where these places are? They may be abbreviated.

2. Also, if you don't mind...do you have any thoughts as to why Julia and her children are not traveling under their surname: PISKORSKI?

Agniska and Julia were sisters. Their surnames were Paul.

[/i]

Passenger record from Hamburg.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  178.11 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Passenger record from Hamburg.JPG

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 618

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:09 pm      Post subject: Re: Name of place of residence

KarenJones wrote:
My Skroszepecki (Skrzypecki/Skrypek variants) ancestors traveled from Hamburg to Leith then from Glasgow to New York. Two years prior to their emigration, these people were in MLODZIESZYN and this is where Julia had her son Josef (1887).

Now, on this passenger list, I know it is German but they are German Polish. Column #5 and #6 is referring to their last residence. 1. Does anyone know where these places are? They may be abbreviated.

2. Also, if you don't mind...do you have any thoughts as to why Julia and her children are not traveling under their surname: PISKORSKI?

Agniska and Julia were sisters. Their surnames were Paul.

[/i]

Hi Karen,
There is no question that column 6 says "Russland." It is German for "Russia" as I'm sure you know. It just has that funny sweeping first "s" that one sees in old handwriting, when a double s was written. It is not to be confused with the German double s, the Eszett (which looks like a big B).
As for the town, I do not know. It seems to end in "...adow" . The first letter looks a bit like the capital "J" in John and Josepha (neither of which look at all like the "J" in Julia). There is not enough other text on the page to guess what else that letter may be. I will say, however, that in old German city directories, I recall finding the names beginning with I and J in a single section of the book, as if they were the same letter. So you might hunt around for towns beginning with I or J, near Mlodzieszyn.
I do not know why the surname for Julia and her children was not entered there. Have you found the manifest for the second part of their journey? It does say, at the top of the column for given names and surnames, "Die zu einer Familie gehörenden Personen sind unter einander zu notiren und durch eine Klammer als zusammengehörig zu bezeichnen." which means that all the members of one family are to have a bracket drawn showing that they are together. John would have been viewed, presumably, as the head of the entire group and for this reason, someone must have inferred they all had the same surname.
You did not ask about column 7, but it gives an abbreviation for "Arbeiter" (laborer) for John, and it says "ohne" (without) for the rest of them.
Sophia
KarenJones

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 pm      Post subject:

Sophia, yes I have both of the departure records which say the same and pose the same difficulty for the last known residence. I'll take your advice and search around Mlodzieszyn for any spellings similar to Iradow, Jradow, etc. Thanks for the help.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:06 pm      Post subject:

Looking at the map, my eye was drawn to Żyrardów. What if the writing on the manifest says Zuradow as an approximation of that? Unfortunately, your page from the Hamburg passenger lists does not have a capital Z for comparison.
I wish you good luck in finally making some kind of breakthrough with this family.
Sophia
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2086

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
Looking at the map, my eye was drawn to Żyrardów. What if the writing on the manifest says Zuradow as an approximation of that? Unfortunately, your page from the Hamburg passenger lists does not have a capital Z for comparison.
I wish you good luck in finally making some kind of breakthrough with this family.
Sophia

Hi Sophia & Karen,

Just a suggestion...perhaps the arrival manifest in the USA may clarify the name.

Dave
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 691

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:49 pm      Post subject:

I think Sophia has a good suggestion. The Z is soft in Żyrardów, so the scribe could have heard and written Irawdow. It’s worth a try....

Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 691

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 pm      Post subject:

Hello all,

Here is the NY passenger list. Unfortunately it offers no help - doesn’t even list the last residence....

Cynthia

B1C86884-D754-480E-84C1-59908FA28D3A.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  405.1 KB

B1C86884-D754-480E-84C1-59908FA28D3A.jpeg

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:00 am      Post subject: Re: Name of place of residence

KarenJones wrote:

[/i]

Hi Karen,

I want to return to what you wrote here, that Julia had a son Josef in 1887 in Mlodzieszyn. However, the ship manifest shows her youngest child as a daughter, Josepha. Is the manifest incorrect? Or did she have both a daughter Josepha and a son Josef?

Do you think that, even if you figure out for certain what the name of the town is on the manifest, that there will be any vital records there for anyone in this family? For example, if there was a son Josef, might there be a death record for him?

Sophia
KarenJones

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:41 am      Post subject:

SOPHIA,CYNTHIA AND DAVE...a couple of things in response to your posts and suggestions, and thank you for all responses.

Julia Piskorski had a son Josef and he is not on the passenger lists. So, this would direct us to the census records, where there are discrepancies. The 1895 Minnesota Territorial census lists Joseph M (male) 12 years. This is interesting because it would be Josepha F (female) who is 12; not Josef. On the same record, you see Antone; the youngest child also listed as a male. This is actually Antonina born in Buffalo, NY and she is female. Note: you notice my great-grandparents the Skosypecki's (American version now Skrypek) are the next name on the record. The on the 1900 US Census it states there are 4 children born and 4 living. This is incorrect also. They had 8 children of which 1 appears to be deceased; Josef. I did not find a death record in Poland, but I suspect he died in Poland because he was not on the list. This POSSIBLY leaves me to believe that Felix Piskorski, who emigrated prior to Julia and children may have done so for a number of reasons. IDK. Perhaps the child was ill and they could not travel then leaving John Skosypecki behind with the family to support them.

I believe Agnieska was born in the region near Pila, Walcz, Poznan. These are the references on various records. Felix Piskorski, Julia's husband was born in Wysograd and we know Josef was born in Mlodzieszyn. So, it is interesting how we find these people in this area some distance from the region where Agniska and possibly Julia were born. We believe them to be sisters; or half sisters based upon records we have.

We have collected all birth records in Poland for the Piskorskis and we have those translated. So now, we are left to our imaginations as no other records are available at this time. I am considering all of you responses and keeping them as clues.

Thanks for your continuous help.
Karen

PS I did not attach the prior page of the 1895 Census which shows Felix and Julia.

1895 MN Terr Census page 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.24 KB

1895 MN Terr Census page 2.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: