PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 30

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:30 am      Post subject: Ship Manifests

Can anyone provide assistance? My ancestors arrived in USA in early 1900s. One of the families returned to Poland before the Great Depression. Questions: 1)When arriving at a US port, did the immigration authorities photograph the incoming passengers? 2)Are there any manifests or other recorded documents for those departing/returning to Poland? We are trying to find any records or other resources that might have a photograph of either family. Thank you.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:03 am      Post subject: Re: Ship Manifests

roseanne wrote:
Can anyone provide assistance? My ancestors arrived in USA in early 1900s. One of the families returned to Poland before the Great Depression. Questions: 1)When arriving at a US port, did the immigration authorities photograph the incoming passengers? 2)Are there any manifests or other recorded documents for those departing/returning to Poland? We are trying to find any records or other resources that might have a photograph of either family. Thank you.

Hi Roseanne,
Oh, that would have been a magnificent thing, if photographs had been taken of all incoming passengers! I wish that it were so.
I am not aware of lists of passengers departing the U.S. What you can find, sometimes, is if someone came back to the U.S. a second time, their manifest will show when they had been in the U.S. before, with some indication of the month and year of their departure from the U.S. after their first arrival. That will not be useful, in your case, if the family that returned to Poland continued to live there. On some applications for U.S. passports, you will find the person's photograph. Again, this may not help you.

To find photos of people, these are the sources I can think of:
1. family photo collections (alas, often not labelled)
2. church jubilee books (the PGSA - Polish Genealogical Society of America lets you search these, if you are a member)
3. newspaper articles (there are many archived newspapers online, though most require a membership fee)
4. that shoebox of old family letters in the attic (if only one were so lucky)
5. publications of Polish societies, if they belonged to any while in the U.S.

A very slim chance is that there will be a photo in the Polish archives, here: https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/
If it's hard for you to navigate that site, let me know, and give me any names, I can take a quick look.

Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
roseanne

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:53 am      Post subject: Ship Manifests

Sophia, Thank you for a quick response. I will pursue the data you provided. I am searching several Internet sites here in USA, without luck. The following are the details that might be of use. Stanislaw & Jozef Lopata were brothers. Both families came to Pennsylvania USA between 1901 and 1904; we believe they went for the coal miner jobs. Stanislaw was still in Pennsylvania in 1911, but we think he went back to Poland by 1926. He is buried in Czarny Dunajec along with wife Agnieszka and daughter Wiktoria. Another cousin is searching newspapers and Pennsylvania Historical Society for photos, exit visa, etc. However, without a name in the caption, we wouldn't know if we have the right fellow. Did Poland have arrival manifests when the Poles returned? Thanks again.
Roseanne
KarenJones

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:27 pm      Post subject:

I saw Stanislaw's arrival record, but not a departure record. I was just looking at some departure records recently, but for the life of me, can't remember now where they are. I will try to search around a bit more, and if I find anything, I'll get back to you.
roseanne

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:14 pm      Post subject: Ship Manifests

Thank you Karen. All information is appreciated. I googled "outbound passengers from USA" and found 2 sites that confirmed no documents exist unless they were donated by family. I would think there would be arrival manifests in Poland or other port of entry.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:13 pm      Post subject:

Hi Roseanne,

Do you have the passenger lists for the arrival of Jozef and his entire family and also for Stanislaw? I found both of them. If you want them, let me know. The brothers resided in Gallitzin, PA which is in Cambria county.

If Stanislaw returned to Poland in 1920s, he would have needed a passport to travel. I suggest you check the Pennsylvania passport offices for Cambria county to see if he has an application. The passport applications often have photographs and full descriptions - sometimes even letters from family in Poland used to justify their reason to travel.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
roseanne

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:43 pm      Post subject: Ship Manifests

Thank you Cynthia, I do have 2 passenger lists for Jozef 1895 & 1901 along with 2 passenger lists for Stanislaw 1903 & 1904.

Searching the PA passport offices for Cambria Cty. is a good tip & I will check it out. It seems arrival in America only required a ticket, but returning to Poland was a bit more complicated. Some websites called it an exit visa. All of you have been a great help.

Be safe, I hear a vaccine is on its way. Roseanne
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:00 pm      Post subject:

Ok. It seems Stanislaw traveled back and forth quite a bit.. the Baltimore passengers list for 1904 shows his entire family is with him.... Agnieszka, Wiktoria, and Mary. It also indicates he was in the USA from 1901-1904.;So there could be another list for him arriving in 1901....

When he returned to Poland, his entire family traveled back with him. I wonder what happened?

Good luck in your research!
Cynthia
Send e-mail
roseanne

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:02 pm      Post subject: Ship Manifests

Yes, I wonder what happened also. I guess it's back to square one, but not so bad as long as I'm getting educated in the process. Thanks to all at Polish Origins for your input. . . . . . Roseanne
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am      Post subject:

Hi Roseanne,
As promised, I looked in the Polish archives online. Nothing specific to Stanislaw. However, there is a Lopata listed in the left column on this memorial plaque in Czarny Dunajec. Looks like his first name was Jan. Not sure if the next word is part of his name, or perhaps a military rank?
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/5983337/obiekty/309836#opis_obiektu
To see it, you'll have to click on the small picture, then look for the magnifying glass icon and really enlarge it. If it interests you, you may ask on the Polish translations thread, for some assistance in understanding what it was for. I think it has to do with honoring those who served in the Polish Legions during WWI and in the continuing smaller scale wars that followed that.
Best regards,
Sophia
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:28 am      Post subject:

There is also this lovely picture from 1932, apparently from Czarny Dunajec, a group of children and adults. Sadly, the only individual who is named is an official. However, it's a great photo and maybe you'll spot some family resemblance. Or at least you'll see some of Stanislaw's neighbors.
https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/jednostka/-/jednostka/5932482/obiekty/331089#opis_obiektu
roseanne

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:15 am      Post subject:

Sophia, thank you very much for your time spent on my project and the links to search. Hopefully I'll get the answers I seek.

Roseanne
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:04 am      Post subject:

Hi Roseanne,
I received a private message from Kat, a new forum member who is having difficulty posting her message to this thread. She requested that I post it here for you.
It seems to refer to the photo of the memorial plaque in Czarny Dunajec, to which I had provided you a link.
Sophia

"Hi,
It looks like the name is "Jan Kanty", after Saint John Cantius (św. Jan Kanty). I've seen it in several documents noted by the priest in Latin as "binom" or "binominus" (e.g., double name). Think of it like this: "Jan-Kanty". Kanty doesn't stand on its own; it's an integral part of the double first name. It could also be a clue as to your ancestor's birth date, using the Feast Days associated with this saint: 23 December or 20 October (Poland, General Calendar 1770-1969).
Thanks,
Kat"
roseanne

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:06 am      Post subject:

Sophia, thanks for sending the message from Kat. Any little bit helps as I continue to seek information. Thanks to Kat & welcome to the forum.
Roseanne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: