PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:48 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
td85 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
td85 wrote:
I originally posted these in the Polish translations thread, but because they're actually written in Latin I've moved them to this topic. I'm researching my Dwulit ancestors from the villages of Boryslawka and Posada Rybotycka. They were Ruthenian Greek Catholics. Any help means a lot.

Hi,

In the 1788 marriage record the groom is Sabbas (also can be spelled Sabas). The Latin form of the name is Sabba, ae, m. (also Saba, ae, m.). There are several saints of that name and the most famous was a monk who lived in the area near Jerusalem (born 439; died 532). He was venerated by eastern Christians, both Orthodox and Catholic.

In the house #24 record the maiden name also appears to me as Czupki. This opinion comes with the caveat that surnames are always in the vernacular and not in Latin so that opinion is based on how I read the handwriting.

I’m not sure what you would like for the house #3 record. Please let me know & I’ll help if I am able.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you so much, Dave.

With the record for house #3, it's the parents of Michael that I'm struggling with a little bit. I want to say it says his father is Stefan Kuchlyk? Son of Stefan and Anna Dwulit and for the mother, Nastazya Marunka is all I can really make out. Thank you again!

Hi,

Preliminary remarks...The priest did not always follow standard Latin spellings of given names. This is most understandable since Latin was not his primary ecclesiastical language. These records are civil transcripts of the parish registers and were created at the behest of the Austrian government which required that the transcripts be kept in the Latin language. At times the Polish version is substituted for the Latin form of some names. The way letters are formed is not always consistent or easy to read. Spellings in Polish are what was commonly used during the 19th Century but are not the same as current Polish spellings.

I believe that your interpretation of the father’s surname as Kuchlyk is correct. (The same surname appears in the next entry for the child Gregorius/Grzegorz.

Here are the entries as they were written:
Stefanus Kuchlyk rust. ex patre Stefano et matre Maryanna de Dwulit.
Entry in standard Latin: Stephanus Kuchlyk rusticus ex patre Stephano et matre Marianna de Dwulit.
Translation: Stephen (Polish: Stefan or Szczepan) Kuchlyk, a farmer, (born) of the father Stephen (Polish: Stefan or Szczepan) and the mother Maryanna (19th Century Polish spelling: Maryanna; Contemporary Polish spelling: Marianna) née Dwulit
The Mother as written: Tatianna ex patre Jacenty Skryp et matre Nastazya de Marunka
Entry in standard Latin: Tatianna ex patre Hyacintho Skryp et matre Nastasia de Marunka.
Translation: Tatianna (born) of the father Hyacinth (Polish:Jacenty) Skryp and of the mother Nastasia (19th Cent. Polish spelling: Nastazya; Contemporary Polish spelling: Nastazja née Marunka.

Notes: Polish has two formal versions for the name Stephen, Stefan and Szczepan, It is not self-evident which form he would have used in daily life.
Tatianna was reputed to be a 3rd Century Roman martyr. She was venerated in the western (Roman) and the eastern churches—both Orthodox & Catholic.
Nastasia and Anastasia are variations of the Greek word which means resurrection (ἀνάστασις).

I hope this answers your questions.

Dave

Wonderful, thank you so very much for helping me with these records and the additional information you've provided. Finally, I have one last record that I need to figure out before I can finally start putting the pieces together and figuring out my lineage.

56_142_0_0_6787_00010.jpg
 Description:
House 40: Having a problem with the last name of Semion's father, Michael. The rest I have no problem figuring out (mother: Anastazya Strzelecka, godparents: Bazyli Kuczer and Teodosia Jarema)
 Filesize:  922.58 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

56_142_0_0_6787_00010.jpg

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:23 am      Post subject:

td85 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
td85 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
td85 wrote:
I originally posted these in the Polish translations thread, but because they're actually written in Latin I've moved them to this topic. I'm researching my Dwulit ancestors from the villages of Boryslawka and Posada Rybotycka. They were Ruthenian Greek Catholics. Any help means a lot.

Hi,

In the 1788 marriage record the groom is Sabbas (also can be spelled Sabas). The Latin form of the name is Sabba, ae, m. (also Saba, ae, m.). There are several saints of that name and the most famous was a monk who lived in the area near Jerusalem (born 439; died 532). He was venerated by eastern Christians, both Orthodox and Catholic.

In the house #24 record the maiden name also appears to me as Czupki. This opinion comes with the caveat that surnames are always in the vernacular and not in Latin so that opinion is based on how I read the handwriting.

I’m not sure what you would like for the house #3 record. Please let me know & I’ll help if I am able.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you so much, Dave.

With the record for house #3, it's the parents of Michael that I'm struggling with a little bit. I want to say it says his father is Stefan Kuchlyk? Son of Stefan and Anna Dwulit and for the mother, Nastazya Marunka is all I can really make out. Thank you again!

Hi,

Preliminary remarks...The priest did not always follow standard Latin spellings of given names. This is most understandable since Latin was not his primary ecclesiastical language. These records are civil transcripts of the parish registers and were created at the behest of the Austrian government which required that the transcripts be kept in the Latin language. At times the Polish version is substituted for the Latin form of some names. The way letters are formed is not always consistent or easy to read. Spellings in Polish are what was commonly used during the 19th Century but are not the same as current Polish spellings.

I believe that your interpretation of the father’s surname as Kuchlyk is correct. (The same surname appears in the next entry for the child Gregorius/Grzegorz.

Here are the entries as they were written:
Stefanus Kuchlyk rust. ex patre Stefano et matre Maryanna de Dwulit.
Entry in standard Latin: Stephanus Kuchlyk rusticus ex patre Stephano et matre Marianna de Dwulit.
Translation: Stephen (Polish: Stefan or Szczepan) Kuchlyk, a farmer, (born) of the father Stephen (Polish: Stefan or Szczepan) and the mother Maryanna (19th Century Polish spelling: Maryanna; Contemporary Polish spelling: Marianna) née Dwulit
The Mother as written: Tatianna ex patre Jacenty Skryp et matre Nastazya de Marunka
Entry in standard Latin: Tatianna ex patre Hyacintho Skryp et matre Nastasia de Marunka.
Translation: Tatianna (born) of the father Hyacinth (Polish:Jacenty) Skryp and of the mother Nastasia (19th Cent. Polish spelling: Nastazya; Contemporary Polish spelling: Nastazja née Marunka.

Notes: Polish has two formal versions for the name Stephen, Stefan and Szczepan, It is not self-evident which form he would have used in daily life.
Tatianna was reputed to be a 3rd Century Roman martyr. She was venerated in the western (Roman) and the eastern churches—both Orthodox & Catholic.
Nastasia and Anastasia are variations of the Greek word which means resurrection (ἀνάστασις).

I hope this answers your questions.

Dave

Wonderful, thank you so very much for helping me with these records and the additional information you've provided. Finally, I have one last record that I need to figure out before I can finally start putting the pieces together and figuring out my lineage.

Hi,

I’m afraid that I can’t be of much help to you on this question. Latin is my strong suit and not necessarily the interpretation of handwriting in surnames—especially those with which I’m not at all familiar. I usually try to determine doubtful handwritten letters by comparing them to letters in words of which I am certain. Unfortunately, on this page there are not enough such words to really help with the letters in the surname. The initial letter is similar, but not identical, to the upper case F in Februarius in the second entry on the page. It also is similar, but not identical, to the upper case T in the name of the father, Timoteus (correct Latin spelling: Timotheus) in the previous entry. My best guess is that the surname appears to be either Felbak or Telbak. The same surname appears as the surname of the father in the second entry on the page. Unfortunately, that is of no help since two unknowns cannot result in a known as a conclusion. My best advice is to post the page with your request in a new thread to increase the chances that Sophia or someone else may be able to provide you with a better answer.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help.

Dave
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:47 am      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:

Hi,

I’m afraid that I can’t be of much help to you on this question. Latin is my strong suit and not necessarily the interpretation of handwriting in surnames—especially those with which I’m not at all familiar. I usually try to determine doubtful handwritten letters by comparing them to letters in words of which I am certain. Unfortunately, on this page there are not enough such words to really help with the letters in the surname. The initial letter is similar, but not identical, to the upper case F in Februarius in the second entry on the page. It also is similar, but not identical, to the upper case T in the name of the father, Timoteus (correct Latin spelling: Timotheus) in the previous entry. My best guess is that the surname appears to be either Felbak or Telbak. The same surname appears as the surname of the father in the second entry on the page. Unfortunately, that is of no help since two unknowns cannot result in a known as a conclusion. My best advice is to post the page with your request in a new thread to increase the chances that Sophia or someone else may be able to provide you with a better answer.

Dave

It looks like Telbak to me. The name appears a second time on the page, five rows up from this one, and it is a little clearer. Two of the capital F's on the page (the two times that February is written) have a mid-point horizontal stroke, which this initial letter does not have. Still, if you want to be certain, you can go back to where you accessed this image and scroll through a few more pages to see if you can find the name a few more times. Better yet, if there is a handwritten index included in the images of these records, the handwriting can sometimes be even better there, and you'd have the benefit of the names being alphabetized.
Sophia
td85

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:16 am      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
dnowicki wrote:

Hi,

Dave

It looks like Telbak to me. The name appears a second time on the page, five rows up from this one, and it is a little clearer. Two of the capital F's on the page (the two times that February is written) have a mid-point horizontal stroke, which this initial letter does not have. Still, if you want to be certain, you can go back to where you accessed this image and scroll through a few more pages to see if you can find the name a few more times. Better yet, if there is a handwritten index included in the images of these records, the handwriting can sometimes be even better there, and you'd have the benefit of the names being alphabetized.
Sophia

Thank you very much to the both of you. In RadixIndex the surname "Selbak" does exist, in the city of Kopychyntsi in Ukraine, but I don't know if that's what the name's supposed to be. No such name appears when I look at Posada Rybotycka, Boryslawka, or even Kopysno. Unfortunately, all I have are these scans so there is no handwritten index, but I'll continue looking through the scans. Ellis Island records may also come in handy. Thanks again!
Send e-mail
Lori Love

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 am      Post subject: Old Latin records

I have been sent (from a distant relative) some old Latin records. They have titles. I have learned to make out some of them but some are just too overwhelming for me. I don't need to know the banns and general writings. I just need the cities, names, dates, and anything important.
The first record starts at the bottom of the first page and continues at the top of the 2nd page. It should be the marriage of Matheus Cielecki and Marianna Zuraw. They were from Znin county. I can't read any of this!

The 2nd record should be the marriage of Joseph Cielecki and Catherine Adamiak. I was also given the link to this record. It is at the bottom of the right side.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSV8-SS3T-9?i=725

I truly appreciate any assistance in these records.
Lori

Joseph Ciekenski & Catharine-marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  696.24 KB

Joseph Ciekenski & Catharine-marriage.jpg

Cielinski-Mathias and Marianna marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.26 MB

Cielinski-Mathias and Marianna marriage.jpg

Send e-mail
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:56 am      Post subject: Latin Records Translation

G'day Dave

Hope you can help with the translations of these two records - the best I can do is make out some names, to me the writing is illegible.

First record is for my 3xGGF Hiacenty (Jacek) Oleyniczak born in 1780 in Kiełczew Smużny, par. Wrząca Wielka and in the full page it is record 29. This is a family that keeps changing names, in Jacek's marriage record his parents are Kazimierz and Ewa, but in his death record it's Paweł and Teresa which is strange as his brother was the witness? Throughout his children's records he changes from Hiacenty to Jacek. As Hiacenty is not a common name hopefully this is his baptism record. I can only hope.

Next there is another 3xGGF Antoni Szmayda who had 13 children with his first wife in Blizna, Koło so hopefully this is his baptism record in 1760 - record 31. Can't yet confirm his parents names as I'm still searching for his first marriage record - his second marriage does not list any parents. Still also looking for his death record.

Thanks

Ted

Baptism Hiacenty (Jacek) Oleyniczak 1781 - record 29 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  764.33 KB

Baptism Hiacenty (Jacek) Oleyniczak 1781 - record 29 (2).jpg

Baptism Antoni Szmayda - record 31 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB

Baptism Antoni Szmayda - record 31 (2).jpg

nick3371

Replies: 104

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:56 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Would you be able to translate this birth record from 1793 for Walenty Ligocki? Thank you so much!

Nick

Walenty Ligocki birth 1793.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.85 KB

Walenty Ligocki birth 1793.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:35 pm      Post subject: Re: Old Latin records

Lori Love wrote:
I have been sent (from a distant relative) some old Latin records. They have titles. I have learned to make out some of them but some are just too overwhelming for me. I don't need to know the banns and general writings. I just need the cities, names, dates, and anything important.
The first record starts at the bottom of the first page and continues at the top of the 2nd page. It should be the marriage of Matheus Cielecki and Marianna Zuraw. They were from Znin county. I can't read any of this!

The 2nd record should be the marriage of Joseph Cielecki and Catherine Adamiak. I was also given the link to this record. It is at the bottom of the right side.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSV8-SS3T-9?i=725

I truly appreciate any assistance in these records.
Lori

Hi Lori,

There is very little meaty information in the marriage record of Mateusz & Maryanna. Most of the entry is recording the fact that the ecclesiastical requirements for a valid and licit religious marriage had been fulfilled. I’ll translate the entire entry and leave it up to you to decide what is significant to you. It is probably disappointing that there is very little info a genealogist would like to find in the record. Here is the translation.

Top of entry: (Village of) Sulinowo
Body of entry: In the year as above (1783) after the announcements of the banns had been proclaimed and since no impediment had been discovered I, the same who is named above, questioned th newlyweds, the industrious* Mateusz and Maryanna, and received their mutual consent in words concerning the present marriage** and blessed (their marriage) in the presence of the witnesses Wojciech Wotalik and Paweł (illegible word) and many others from the same village.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: The adjective was used to designate the bride & groom as peasants.
**de praesenti matrimonio/concerning the present marriage: This technical phrase makes it explicit that the couple consented to marry in real time as opposed to consenting to marry at a future time. The verbal consent given in the presence of the priest and the witnesses by the newlyweds comprised the act by which the sacrament of marriage was confected. According to Catholic theology the bride & groom are the ministers of the sacrament. The priest is not the minister but is the first of the witnesses and the person who blesses the marriage on behalf of the Catholic Church.

The image of the 1820 marriage which you posted and the link you provided are two copies of the record of the same marriage. Although they vary slightly in form, they contain the same information. A portion of the record deals with legal civil permission for the orphaned underage bride to marry. The Latin word order is cumbersome in English so I switched the order somewhat in order to make the translation easier to understand.

Number of Marriage for the year: 6
Date of Wedding: December 2, 1820
Residence of Bride: Village of Sulinowo
After the three banns had been promulgated on 3 consecutive Sundays during the solemnities of Masses in both parishes—by reason of the underage bride, Katarzyna, orphaned by (both) father & mother, having ?? in the village of Królewskie* Cotoń in the parish of Lubcz, a certificate written by the guardianship court of the territory of Gniezno was acquired by the industrious** Szymon Adamiak, a settler*** from the village of Cotoń, and turned over to the Acts of the church in Gorzyce—and since no canonical impediment had been detected, I, the same who is above, blessed the legitimately contracted marriage between the industrious** Józef Cielecki, a bachelor, 21 years of age from the village of Jaroszewo in the parish of Żnin, and the industrious** Katarzyna Adamiak, a maiden, 19 years of age from Sulinowo, in the presence of the industrious** Mateusz Cielecki, settler*** from Jaroszewo, the father of the groom, the industrious** Wojciech Kornet, an alderman**** from Sulinowo, the industrious** Szymon Zuromski, the industrious**Marcin Felcyn from Gorzyce, and many others worthy of trust.

Notes: * Regale Cotoń/Królewskie Cotoń: Regalis/Royal is rendered as Królewskie in Polish, On current maps the place is simply Cotoń.
**laboriosus/industrious: The adjective was used to designate individuals as peasants.
***colonus/settler/farmer: The word was used with various meanings during the 18th & 19th Centuries.
****scabinus/alderman: the term signifies that the person held a minor civil administrative position.

I hope that these translations help to advance your research.

Dave

Last edited by dnowicki on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:37 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Records Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Hope you can help with the translations of these two records - the best I can do is make out some names, to me the writing is illegible.

First record is for my 3xGGF Hiacenty (Jacek) Oleyniczak born in 1780 in Kiełczew Smużny, par. Wrząca Wielka and in the full page it is record 29. This is a family that keeps changing names, in Jacek's marriage record his parents are Kazimierz and Ewa, but in his death record it's Paweł and Teresa which is strange as his brother was the witness? Throughout his children's records he changes from Hiacenty to Jacek. As Hiacenty is not a common name hopefully this is his baptism record. I can only hope.

Next there is another 3xGGF Antoni Szmayda who had 13 children with his first wife in Blizna, Koło so hopefully this is his baptism record in 1760 - record 31. Can't yet confirm his parents names as I'm still searching for his first marriage record - his second marriage does not list any parents. Still also looking for his death record.

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but neither of the records are what you are looking for. The record you thought was for Antoni is the baptismal record of Andrzej Lipicki, the son of Antoni & Maryanna. The other record is the baptism of Jacenty Żłobiński, the son of Stefan/Szczepan & Maryanna. The images are certainly not the clearest and the handwriting is not the easiest to read but I am certain of the names.

I do have some news which you may find helpful—The name changes for Jacek are not really different names. They are all forms of the same name. Hyacinthus (sometimes spelled Hiacinthus) is the Latin form; Hyacinth is the English form; and Polish uses two versions of the same name, Jacek and Jacenty. By whatever version you call him he still smells sweet like the spring flower, the hyacinth.

Don’t give up the search.

Wishing you success,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:39 pm      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hello,

Would you be able to translate this birth record from 1793 for Walenty Ligocki? Thank you so much!

Nick

Nick,

Here is the translation of the birth & baptism record.

Hope it helps you.

Dave

Top of record: (Village of) Mysliborz
Body of Entry: (Baptism #) 3 In the year as above on the 10th day of February, I, who (is named) above, baptized an infant by the name of Walenty, born on the 8th day of the same (month) of the legitimate Catholic marriage of the industrious* Mikołaj and Teodora Ligocki. The sponsors were Jan Samuel and Maryanna Kowalska, a maiden, both from Mysliborz.

Note: laboriosus/industrious: The adjective was used to designate the parents as peasants.
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:10 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Records Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but neither of the records are what you are looking for. The record you thought was for Antoni is the baptismal record of Andrzej Lipicki, the son of Antoni & Maryanna. The other record is the baptism of Jacenty Żłobiński, the son of Stefan/Szczepan & Maryanna. The images are certainly not the clearest and the handwriting is not the easiest to read but I am certain of the names.

I do have some news which you may find helpful—The name changes for Jacek are not really different names. They are all forms of the same name. Hyacinthus (sometimes spelled Hiacinthus) is the Latin form; Hyacinth is the English form; and Polish uses two versions of the same name, Jacek and Jacenty. By whatever version you call him he still smells sweet like the spring flower, the hyacinth.

Don’t give up the search.

Wishing you success,

Dave

Thanks Dave - now you have provided the translation I can see the surnames (not Żłobiński as it looks like an ink blot) - the search continues.
Cheers
Ted
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:15 am      Post subject: Antoni Magroski 1st marriage 1775

Dave,

As time permits, I would like to have this marriage record translated.
Accordingly to his 2nd marriage record he was 59 years old in 1810.
Therefore he must be about 24 years old in 1775, jbut I don't see any mention to his age.
It seems he was living with his mother, in Włocławek.

Thanks!
Gilberto

1775 - M - Antoni e Anna.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.82 KB

1775 - M - Antoni e Anna.jpeg

Send e-mail
UrsulaPeter

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:30 am      Post subject: 1699 census from Transylvania

Dear Dave,
I am once again asking for some help. I have found some census records from Transylvania written in Latin and I have a hard time understanding the header. Several of my ancestors appear in these censuses, so understanding the header would help to know a lot more about them. Because there are several censuses, I'll post only one for now (it is a census from 1699, the village is Szentrontás):

https://we.tl/t-CAXkFBExuX

The document in the Hungarian National Archives and it is a part of the Vegyes Erdélyi Összeírások (Various Transylvanian Censuses). Their description can be found on this site (in Hungarian):

https://adatbazisokonline.hu/adatbazis/f-49-vegyes-conscriptiok/informacio?fbclid=IwAR3J3DgCbTx0ej9YGcICgmMv4gZSuo17khZdQ1RiP5oxOFxfT0-xumb9FjE

The 1699 census contains the following information about the taxpayers: "a marosszéki összeírás közli a lakott és puszta telkek számát, az adózók állatállományát, a megművelt és megműveletlen földek terjedelmét, az adózók mezőgazdasági termékeit, pálinka- és sörfőző üstjeinek számát, malmaik jövedelmét, aktív és passzív adósságaikat"
So it should contain the number of inhabited/barren land, livestock, cultivated/uncultivated land, agricultural products, number of brewery cauldrons, the incomes from the mills, active and passive debts.

Thank you very much in advance!
Ursula

HU_MNL_OL_F_0049_0002_0005_Marosszek_Szentrontas_05_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  592.48 KB

HU_MNL_OL_F_0049_0002_0005_Marosszek_Szentrontas_05_2.jpg

HU_MNL_OL_F_0049_0002_0005_Marosszek_Szentrontas_05_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  585.59 KB

HU_MNL_OL_F_0049_0002_0005_Marosszek_Szentrontas_05_1.jpg

Last edited by UrsulaPeter on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Lori Love

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Old Latin records

dnowicki wrote:

There is very little meaty information in the marriage record of Mateusz & Maryanna. Most of the entry is recording the fact that the ecclesiastical requirements for a valid and licit religious marriage had been fulfilled. I’ll translate the entire entry and leave it up to you to decide what is significant to you. It is probably disappointing that there is very little info a genealogist would like to find in the record. Here is the translation.

Top of entry: (Village of) Sulinowo
Body of entry: In the year as above (1783) after the announcements of the banns had been proclaimed and since no impediment had been discovered I, the same who is named above, questioned the newlyweds, the industrious* Mateusz and Maryanna, and received their mutual consent in words concerning the present marriage** and blessed (their marriage) in the presence of the witnesses Wojciech Wotalik and Paweł (illegible word) and many others from the same village.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: The adjective was used to designate the bride & groom as peasants.
**de praesenti matrimonio/concerning the present marriage: This technical phrase makes it explicit that the couple consented to marry in real time as opposed to consenting to marry at a future time. The verbal consent given in the presence of the priest and the witnesses by the newlyweds comprised the act by which the sacrament of marriage was confected. According to Catholic theology the bride & groom are the ministers of the sacrament. The priest is not the minister but is the first of the witnesses and the person who blesses the marriage on behalf of the Catholic Church.

The image of the 1820 marriage which you posted and the link you provided are two copies of the record of the same marriage. Although they vary slightly in form, they contain the same information. A portion of the record deals with legal civil permission for the orphaned underage bride to marry. The Latin word order is cumbersome in English so I switched the order somewhat in order to make the translation easier to understand.

Number of Marriage for the year: 6
Date of Wedding: December 2, 1820
Residence of Bride: Village of Sulinowo
After the three banns had been promulgated on 3 consecutive Sundays during the solemnities of Masses in both parishes—by reason of the underage bride, Katarzyna, orphaned by (both) father & mother, having ?? in the village of Królewskie* Cotoń in the parish of Lubcz, a certificate written by the guardianship court of the territory of Gniezno was acquired by the industrious** Szymon Adamiak, a settler*** from the village of Cotoń, and turned over to the Acts of the church in Gorzyce—and since no canonical impediment had been detected, I, the same who is above, blessed the legitimately contracted marriage between the industrious** Józef Cielecki, a bachelor, 21 years of age from the village of Jaroszewo in the parish of Żnin, and the industrious** Katarzyna Adamiak, a maiden, 19 years of age from Sulinowo, in the presence of the industrious** Mateusz Cielecscabinuski, settler*** from Jaroszewo, the father of the groom, the industrious** Wojciech Kornet, an alderman**** from Sulinowo, the industrious** Szymon Zuromski, the industrious**Marcin Felcyn from Gorzyce, and many others worthy of trust.

Notes: * Regale Cotoń/Królewskie Cotoń: Regalis/Royal is rendered as Królewskie in Polish, On current maps the place is simply Cotoń.
**laboriosus/industrious: The adjective was used to designate individuals as peasants.
***colonus/settler/farmer: The word was used with various meanings during the 18th & 19th Centuries.
****scabinus/alderman: the term signifies that the person held a minor civil administrative position.

I hope that these translations help to advance your research.

Dave

Hello Dave,
Thank you for your fantastic translations and explanations. On the first record, the marriage of Mateusz & Maryanna, you wrote, 'This technical phrase makes it explicit that the couple consented to marry in real-time as opposed to consenting to marry at a future time.' Are you saying that the couple decided to get married, had some family and friends gather, stated their commitment, and they are considered married? I have read years ago that even in Minnesota that the snow was bad and travel was risky in the winter so a couple would make a declaration to their family and be considered married. In the spring when the weather was better, the priest would bless the marriage.

The 2nd document is the 1820 marriage of the underage bride, Katarzyna, who was an orphan. In stating it was a 'legitimately contracted marriage', does this mean it was an arranged marriage? The name, 'Mateusz Cielecscabinuski', seems to refer to the father of Jozef who was Mateusz Cielecki. Is that a suffix added to the last name or does it have some other meaning?
Again, thank you for your wonderful work!
Lori
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Antoni Magroski 1st marriage 1775

Magroski49 wrote:
Dave,

As time permits, I would like to have this marriage record translated.
Accordingly to his 2nd marriage record he was 59 years old in 1810.
Therefore he must be about 24 years old in 1775, jbut I don't see any mention to his age.
It seems he was living with his mother, in Włocławek.

Thanks!
Gilberto

Hi Gilberto,

Antoni’s age is not recorded in the marriage record from 1775. Here is the translation, omitting the usual legalities about the banns, no impediments, etc.

With the hope that you and your family are staying well during the pandemic,

Dave

Włocławek and from Raciązek. February 25 (1775)
The same above named vicar ratified the marriage (the usual legalities follow) between the upright* Antoni Magroski, a single young man from Raciązek, who for two years maintained**** a domicile in Włocławek with his mother,** and Anna Klennicka, from a/the suburb***, (both) parishioners of Włocławek. The upright Michał Ochocinski, Andrzej Kozinski, Baltazar Dygeta, (&) Stefan/Szczepan Sobecki, residents from a/the suburb were the witness present (at the marriage).

Notes: *honestus/upright: an adjective denoting an individual as a peasant. Here it is plural and thus refers to both the groom and the bride.
**mother/genetrix: usually is translated as mother, but can refer to direct line female ancestors like a grandmother. I would say that mother is the most likely meaning, but it could refer to his grandmother—especially if his mother was deceased and his grandmother was still living.
***a suburb/the suburb: Whether suburbio should be translated with the definite or the indefinite article would depend on how many places outside the limits of the town of Włocławek were considered suburbs of the town.
****maintained/ contraxit: The verb contraho has multiple meanings. Most often in such records it is used in the sense of contracted, as in matrimonium contraxit (he contracted marriage). Here I believe that “maintained” fits best in the context.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 190, 191, 192 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 191 of 274

Jump to: