PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:11 am      Post subject: Birth and Baptism certificate translation

Hi,

If possible I would like to ask to translate the birth and baptism certificate.

From what I understood it is a copy of the original church record, unfortunately I cannot decipher where it's being stored.

Thanks

krest Pietrzyk 3.jpeg
 Description:
Copy of birth certificate
 Filesize:  1.29 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

krest Pietrzyk 3.jpeg

marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:49 am      Post subject: Re: Birth and Baptism certificate translation

Luby17 wrote:
Hi,

From what I understood it is a copy of the original church record, unfortunately I cannot decipher where it's being stored.

Thanks

This document is written in latin.
If You ask for translation here: https://forum.polishorigins.com/viewtopic.php?t=1759 You will get the answer:

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Luby17

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:59 am      Post subject:

Hi,

Thanks

krest Pietrzyk 3.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.29 MB

krest Pietrzyk 3.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:05 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Record #1...in Latin?

Moni wrote:
I think this is a birth record in Latin.

Here's what I think I know:

Subject: Martin Zielke
Date: 15 Nov 1795
Place: Czermno Troszyn
Parents: George Zielke & Marianna Fengler

Can someone translate this document for me? I'm wondering if my information is correct or if there is anything else I can glean from this document.

Thanks!

Moni,

There are two entries under the same heading in your post. I’ll translate only the second which is for the child named Martin/Marcin. The English version of given names will be followed by the Polish version. There is no guarantee of the accuracy of surnames. They are only based on what I see in the handwriting. Here follows the translation.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave

Top heading: (Village of) Troszynek
Heading within entry: Czermno
Body of Entry: On the 15th day of November of the same year [1795] I, the same as above baptized [an infant] by the Martin/Marcin, the son of the legitimate non-Catholic marriage of Adalbert/Wojciech Sylka(?) and Maryanne/Maryanna née Fesher(?). The sponsors* were Michael/Michał Dybek(?) with his sister.

Note: *Patrini/sponsors commonly known as godparents.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:10 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Record #2...in Latin?

Moni wrote:

This is what I think I know:

Birth of Elisabeth Ratz
Date: 8 Feb 1792
Place: Wiaczemin, Troszyn
Parents: Michael Ratz & Marianna (?)

Can someone translate this document to see my information is correct or if there is any other information present in the document?

Thanks (again)!

Here is the birth of Elizabeth.

Top of Entry: Holędry* Wiączeminskie:
On the 11th of February I, Adalbert/Wojciech Samin, baptized an infant by the name of Elizabeth/Elżbieta, born on the 8th of February, the daughter of the non-Catholic marriage of Michael/Michał and Maryanne/Maryanna Rac. The sponsors** were Abraham Janc (or Ganc), Florentyna Rynaska, Andrew/Andzrej Barc, and Catherine/Katarzyna Smolkowna, all from the same villiage and (all) non-Catholics.

Note: *Holendry: The name originally was used for Dutch settlements in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Later it took on a more general meaning.
**Patrini/sponsors commonly known as godparents.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:12 pm      Post subject: Re: Birth Record #3...in Latin?

Moni wrote:

This is what I think I know:

Birth of George Zielke
Date: 15 Oct 1783
Place: Sady, Troszyn
Parents: Johannes Zielke & Christine Prochnau

I could be wrong, but I think the birth record begins below the grey line and asterisk is. If I'm correct, then i have no interest in the record above the grey line and asterisk.

Thanks!

Here is the birth & baptism of Adalbert/Wojciech. There are two entries under the same heading. His is the second.

Top of Entry: (Village of) Czermno
On the 15th day of October of the same (year) I, who is above, baptized Adalbert/Wojciech, the son of the legitimate non-Catholic marriage of John/Jan Cylka and Christina/Kristyna Prochnoll(?). The sponsors* were Adalbert/Wojciech (illegible surname) and Marianne/Maryanna ??ilkowa**.

Notes: *Patrini/sponsors commonly known as godparents.
**The suffix -owa indicates a married woman/the wife of…
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:14 pm      Post subject: Re: Record #4...in Latin?

Moni wrote:
This is the last record that I think is in Latin.

I have no idea if this is a birth or marriage record.

I recognize possible names in the document: Jacob Knopp and Catharina (maybe a variation of Stray?)

I know that Jakob Knop was born in Białobrzegi, near Płock.

Can someone help me make sense of this document?

Thank you!

Moni,

Sophia is correct. Only the headings are in Latin. The body of the marriage entry is in German. I would recommend that you post the translation request in the German Records Translations section of the forum.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:23 pm      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hello!

I have a few records for translation listed below. I know that theres a lot but they are all very short. Please take your time and enjoy the holidays!

1. Fornal, Teodora Death 1814
2. Ligocki, Walenty and Cierniak, Apolonia Marriage 1814
3. Sobczak, Benedict Death 1813
4. Ligocki, Mikolaj Death 1800
5. Ligocki, Mikolaj and Fornal ,Teodora Marriage 1780
6. Ligocki, Majiec Birth 1816
7. Kurtos, Zuzanna Marriage 2 1814
8. Duruz, Urszula Cierniak Death 1819
9. Kurtos, Zuzanna Death 1845
10. Cierniak, Florian Marriage 2 1820 possible

Nick,

Here is the burial of Mikołaj Ligocki. Without the headings I cannot tell what some of the columns contain.

Happy New Year.

Dave

Col. 1: Number for the year: 21
Col. 2: Date of Burial: 13 May, 1800
Col 3: Body of Entry: Mysliborz. I, the same as above, buried the industrious* Mikołaj Ligocki, the husband of the industrious* Teodora, 48 years of age, fortified with all the Sacraments**, in the cemetery towards the south, who died of the illness of consumption***.
Col. 4: Age 48
Cols. 5-10: No headings
Col. 11: Cause of death: Consumption
Col. 12: No heading: 19

Notes:*laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant.
**omnibus Sacramentis/ with all the Sacraments: Penance, Communion under the form of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction (currently known as Anointing of the Sick). Together these three were commonly known as “The Last Rites”.
***Ptisi (Correct spelling Phthisi—-the pesky aspirate was omitted twice. The disease known as consumption often was tuberculosis of the lungs, although it could occur in other bodily organs.

The burial of Teodora Fornalowna/Ligocka.

Mysliborz
In the Year of Our Lord 1814 on the 30th day of the month of September Teodora Fornalowna*(Ligocka)**, a widow, 50(?) years of age was buried in the Cemetery. (She died) from the illness commonly known as katar.

Notes: *Fornalowna: the suffix -owna denotes “daughter of Fornal” Once cannot be certain that this was an actual surname or just denoted the occupation of her father
**[Ligocka]: The priest stated his approval of the entry in parentheses.
***kat(t)ar: rheum

The marriage of Mikołaj & Teodora

The Year of Our Lord 1780 begins.

In this year on the 23rd day of January I, Wit Rzekiecki, a reformed canon, at this time the ordinary for the pastoral care of this parish, after the banns had been promulgated on three Sundays, blessed the marriage contracted between the industrious* Mikołaj & Teodora in the presence of Paweł, Szymon, and others.

Note:*laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe the bride and groom as a peasants.

B&B of Maciej Ligocki

Mysliborz
In the year as above (1816) on the 7th day of the same month (January) I, the same who is above, baptized an infant, born on the 6th day of the same month, the son of the legitimate Catholic marriage of the industrious* Walenty and Apolonia née Cierzniak Ligocki, upon whom I imposed the name Maciej. The sponsors were Marcin Mazurek and Tekla Głowacka from Rudolina.

Note:*laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe the parents as a peasants.

Nowaczyk-Kurtas Marriage

I am omitting the translation of the multiple titles of the priest.
In the Year of Our Lord 1814 on the 30th day of the month of May, I, Karol Weitz, (priest’s multiple titles not translated), after the three banns had been promulgated on three sequential Sundays in the presence of the people gathered for the Divine Rites* and since no canonical impediment had been detected, ratified** the marriage between the industrious*** Ignacy Nowaczyk, a single man, 48 years of age, and Zuzanna née Kurtas Sobczak, a widow, age 36, both from the village of Chorzew. The trustworthy witnesses who were present were the industrious*** Mateusz Laskowski and Łukasz Lewandowski, residents of the aforementioned village of Chorzew, and also many others gathered for this act (i.e. the wedding).

Notes: *Divina/Divine Rites: Sunday Mass.
**ratificavi/I ratified: Latin Rite Catholic priests could not be the ministers of marriage since they were bound by celibacy. The ministers were the bride & the groom. The priest was the representative of the Church. His function was to ratify and bless the marital union.
***laboriosos/industrious: The plural of the adjective is used to indicate that the bride & the groom & the witnesses were all peasants.

Best,

Nick
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:30 pm      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Here are the others! I appreciate your time and expertise! Thank you so much! Happy Holidays!

Nick

Nick,

Here begins the second set of records.

Dave

Death Benedykt Sobczak

Left Margin: Village of Chorzew

Body of Entry: In the year 1813 on the 14th day of March the industrious* Benedykt Sobczak, a farmer, 47 years of age, died of an unknown illness, fortified by the Sacraments of those about to die**, and on the 15th day of the same month was buried in the Cemetery of the parish church of Morzysław towards the setting of the sun (i.e. the west).

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant.
**Sacramentis Moribundorum/The Sacraments of those about to die: Penance, Communion under the form of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction (currently known as Anointing of the Sick). Together these three were commonly known as “The Last Rites”.

Marriage: Walenty Ligocki & Apolonia Czerniak

In the Year of Our Lord 1814 on the 6th day of the month of November I, Kornel Kranza, chaplain of Mysliborz, after the banns had been proclaimed on three Sundays and after prior examination and since no canonical impediment had been detected, blessed the marriage between the industrious* Walenty Ligocki, a single young man, 22 years of age, and Apolonia Czerniakowna**, a maiden, 18 years of age, in the presence of the witnesses Jan Szrutowski, Ignacy Ligocki, Andrzej Gibasiak, and Adam Ruchwalik.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: an adjective used in the plural to describe the bride and groom as a peasants.
**The suffix -owna indicates that she is the daughter of Czerniak.

Death of Zuzanna Sobczak

39th death for the year; village of Chonin(?)
In the year as above on the 20th day of September Zuzanna Sobczak, a widow, an old woman 90 years of age, died and was burried on the 22nd day of the same (month & year).

Death Urszula Cierniak

Mysliborz
In the same year the industrious Urszula, the wife of Florian Cierniak, a semi-self-supporting farmer*, 40 years of age, fortified by the Sacraments, was buried. (Cause of death)—a cough**.

Notes: *Semi-cmeto: Term which indicates the social & economic status of a peasant farmer as being semi-self-supporting. Such peasants owned a substantial amount of land but not enough to be self-sustaining. Such farmers often hired other peasants to help with the farm labor. The Polish term for this class of peasant is półkmiec.
**tusis/cough: a generic type of cough but sometimes refers to whooping cough.

Nick,

The 1820 marriage record is not for Florian Cierniak. The groom is Florian Nizgała, a 51 year old widower.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:36 pm      Post subject:

Luby17 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

Hi,

The document is a certified copy of information extracted from the birth & baptism register of the Roman Catholic Church in Krzyżanowice.

In the translation given names are rendered in their Polish form followed by their English version.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave

Top of Certificate:
Left Side: Empire of Austria
Kingdom of Galicia
District/Powiat (County): Bochnia
Center: Number (of certificate issued): 84
Right Side: Diocese: Tarnów
Dekenat (Deanery): Bochnia
Parish: Krzyżanowice

Certificate of birth and of baptism

Civil Revenue Stamp for 50 krzuzer

The parish office of the Latin Rite Church in Krzyżanowice attests to all and sundry of whom it is or may be of interest that in the baptismal registers of this church for the village of Proszówki Volume VII, Page 78, Number in order 21 is found the following:

In the year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred Sixty-two that is 1862 on the twenty-first day (21) of the month of August was born at house number 75, and on the 24th day of the same month and year by Rev. F Gondek, pastor of the place, was baptized:

Col. 1: Name of the one baptized: Lazarz (Polish); Lazarus (English)
Col. 2: Religion: Roman Catholic
Col. 3: Sex/Gender: Male
Col. 4: The (marital) bed: Illegitimate
Col. 5: PARENTS
Col. 5a: The Father: Blank
Col. 5b: The Mother: Agnieszka/Agnes Pietrzyk the illegitimate daughter of Justyna/Justine Pietrzyk
Col 6: The Sponsors: Wojciech/Adalbert Pietrzyk, a gardener,* & Franciszka/Frances Stachuna, the wife of a gardener*
Notation in Cols. 1-5a: The midwife was Maryanna/Maryanne K???a
In testimony of which I sign this certificate with my own hand and affirm it with the seal of the parish church.

Given by the parish office in Krzyżanowice on the 15th day of November, 18 (rest of year is cut off)

Signature of the parish priest with the parish seal (cut off)

Note: *hortulanus/gardener: The noun indicates the individual’s social/economic status as a peasant who owned a cottage and a small parcel of land, sufficient for a garden but without substantial farm fields.
nick3371

Replies: 104

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:04 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

I looked further into the marriage record I previously posted for Floryan Cierniak and I found the civil record.
The civil record lists his first wife Urszula Cierniak, which I know to be correct. The maiden name of his 2nd wife (Franciszka Dopierlaska(?) Czayna) in this record matches the name in Florian's death record. I just wonder why Florian's name is listed as Florian Nizgała instead of Cierniak?

Would you be able to translate this marriage record from the church? I'll attach the civil record (which is in bad condition) for reference.

Thank you!

2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.11 MB

2.png

1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  566.22 KB

1.png

Cierniak, Florian Marriage 2 1820 possible.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  448.31 KB

Cierniak, Florian Marriage 2 1820 possible.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:45 pm      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hi Dave,

I looked further into the marriage record I previously posted for Floryan Cierniak and I found the civil record.
The civil record lists his first wife Urszula Cierniak, which I know to be correct. The maiden name of his 2nd wife (Franciszka Dopierlaska(?) Czayna) in this record matches the name in Florian's death record. I just wonder why Florian's name is listed as Florian Nizgała instead of Cierniak?

Would you be able to translate this marriage record from the church? I'll attach the civil record (which is in bad condition) for reference.

Thank you!

Nick,

Both the civil transcript and the ecclesiastical copy agree that the groom was Florian Mizgała and both state that he was a widower. The civil transcript names his first wife as Urszula nee Czerniak. The ecclesiastical record does not name her.

Here is the translation of the Latin marriage record.
I, Malachiasz Łychkowski, the vicar of this place, after the banns had been proclaimed beforehand in the presence of the congregation and since no canonical impediment had been discovered, ratified the marriage legitimately contracted between Florian Mizgała, a widower, 51 years of age and Franciszka Czayka, a widow from Radolina, 54 years of age, in the presence of the witnesses Wincenty Bajda(cut off letter/s)wicz, a miller, and Kazimierz Jozwiak, and many others worthy of credence from Myślibórz.

It appears that the outlier of the three docs (ecclesiastical and civil transcript of the marriage and the death of Urszula) is the death record. It appears that her maiden name got substituted for her husband’s surname. More light would likely be shed on the question from additional docs.

Anyway, that is how I see the matter.

Dave
nick3371

Replies: 104

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:04 am      Post subject:

Thank you for the translation Dave! Here is Florian's death record with Franciszka Dopieralska as his wife, which matches the name in the ecclesiastical record. I’m not sure if I’m looking at this correctly but I thinks it matches? Anyways thank you so much for your translations!

A6EEA1EB-774B-4D15-B641-6CD662C329C5.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  311.17 KB

A6EEA1EB-774B-4D15-B641-6CD662C329C5.jpeg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:31 am      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Thank you for the translation Dave! Here is Florian's death record with Franciszka Dopieralska as his wife, which matches the name in the ecclesiastical record. I’m not sure if I’m looking at this correctly but I thinks it matches? Anyways thank you so much for your translations!

Hi Nick,

You are correct. Florian Cierniak matches with Florian Mizgała. I did a quick check on the Poznan Project for children of Florian & Urszula Cierniak and there are several matches, all using the surname Cierniak. The two informants in the death record are related to Florian. Józef Cierniak (born c. 1797-99) is his son and Walenty Ligocki (born c. 1792) is his son-in-law (married to his daughter Apolonia). The preponderance of evidence makes Florian’s second marriage under the surname Mizgała the outlier. I believe that you can be confident that Florian Cierniak & Florian Mizgała are the same person. The name discrepancy still seeks an explanation—which may or may not ever be found. My leaning is that a definitive explanation is not likely to be found.

Happy New Year! Or as long dead Romans would say “Annum Faustum”.

Dave
td85

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 pm      Post subject:

After taking a break, I'm back to researching my family. If anyone could help me reading some of the writing on these two records, I'd really appreciate it. (Originally posted these in the Polish translations thread, but they're actually in Latin so I've moved them here)

56_142_0_0_7267_00039.jpg
 Description:
House 9: I'm not sure what father Iwan's last name is.
 Filesize:  1.09 MB

56_142_0_0_7267_00039.jpg

56_142_0_0_7267_00026.jpg
 Description:
House 42: The last name of Stefan's father... is it Wasylow?
 Filesize:  1.11 MB

56_142_0_0_7267_00026.jpg

Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 193 of 274

Jump to: