PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 3

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:18 pm      Post subject: Surname Bodurka

Any information on the surname Bodurka would be greatly appreciated. Always been told that my grandfather was from Poland, but I did not know where until recently when I found he was from Rajbrot. Bodurka never sounded like the typical Polish name. Again, any information would be appreciated.
Ron
Rbodurka

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:52 pm      Post subject: Bodurka surname

Would appreciate any input on the surname Bodurka. Grandfather was from the area around Rajbrot.
Thank you,
Ron
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:57 am      Post subject: Re: Surname Bodurka

Rbodurka wrote:
Would appreciate any input on the surname Bodurka. Grandfather was from the area around Rajbrot.
Thank you,
Ron

These are the main information from the Wikipedia article about the surname Bodurka (only polish version available):

The surname Bodurka derives from the Turkic languages. The word bodur, in turkish, means: short, stocky person.
This surname appeared in Poland in XIII century, during the Second Mongol invasion of Poland, especialy in 1259-1260.
In the vicinity of the village of Rajbrot there is the largest concentration of people with this surname. During the Third Mongol invasion of Poland, 1287-1288, Tatar prisoners lived there.

This is one of several hypotheses. Others say that the surname derives from:

1. the word: bodę: to gore, to ram; to attack with the horns
2. dithematic names, such as: Bodzisław, Bogdan
3. german proper name: Bodo

In all these three cases BOD is the invariant stem, to which the suffix -ur was attached and later the suffixes: -a, -ka.

Genetic studies have shown that people with this surname belong to Unassigned Haplogroup R1a and most likely they do not come from Slavic tribes, but rather from older tribes, such as: Balts ans Scythians, however, it requires further research.

As at January 22nd 2020 there were 201 women and 187 men in Poland with the surname Bodurka.

On the basis of the PESEL database from 2002, the density of this surname is as follows:

The red area is for the commune of Bochnia, to which the village of Rajbrot belongs.

Bodurka surname density.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.83 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

PAYPAL: [email protected]

Last edited by marcelproust on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:34 am; edited 2 times in total
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:14 am      Post subject: Re: Surname Bodurka

Rbodurka wrote:
Any information on the surname Bodurka would be greatly appreciated. Always been told that my grandfather was from Poland, but I did not know where until recently when I found he was from Rajbrot. Bodurka never sounded like the typical Polish name. Again, any information would be appreciated.
Ron

These are the main information from the Wikipedia article about the surname Bodurka (only polish version available):

The surname Bodurka derives from the Turkic languages. The word bodur, in turkish, means: short, stocky person.
This surname appeared in Poland in XIII century, during the Second Mongol invasion of Poland, especialy in 1259-1260.
In the vicinity of the village of Rajbrot there is the largest concentration of people with this surname. During the Third Mongol invasion of Poland, 1287-1288, Tatar prisoners lived there.

This is one of several hypotheses. Others say that the surname derives from:

1. the word: bodę: to gore, to ram; to attack with the horns
2. dithematic names, such as: Bodzisław, Bogdan
3. german proper name: Bodo

In all these three cases BOD is the invariant stem, to which the suffix -ur was attached and later the suffixes: -a, -ka.

Genetic studies have shown that people with this surname belong to Unassigned Haplogroup R1a and most likely they do not come from Slavic tribes, but rather from older tribes, such as: Balts ans Scythians, however, it requires further research.

As at January 22nd 2020 there were 201 women and 187 men in Poland with the surname Bodurka.

On the basis of the PESEL database from 2002, the density of this surname is as follows:

The red area is for the commune of Bochnia, to which the village of Rajbrot belongs.

Description:
 Filesize:  86.83 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

PAYPAL: [email protected]

Last edited by marcelproust on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Rbodurka

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:16 am      Post subject: Surname Bodurka

Thank you. Now I wish that I paid more attention in my Polish history class. Answers one question, but generates a number of new questions.
Thank you,
Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: