PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:33 pm      Post subject:

td85 wrote:
After taking a break, I'm back to researching my family. If anyone could help me reading some of the writing on these two records, I'd really appreciate it. (Originally posted these in the Polish translations thread, but they're actually in Latin so I've moved them here)

Hi,

These records follow the same pattern as those you posted earlier (in December). Again, as I wrote then, the headings are in Latin as are some of the entries. The entries not in Latin are in Polish. Thus the documents are actually hybrids. There is very little in the records which needs to be translated and mostly the questions revolve around the reading of the handwriting..

I read the surname of Stefan’s father as Woytow. This form was written without diacritical marks and using typical 19th Century spelling. The surname most likely would be written as Wójtów in contemporary Polish.

On the other image three fathers appear with the given name Iwan—in entries 3, 6, & 7. Which is of interest to you?

Thanks,

Dave
td85

Replies: 20

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:00 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
td85 wrote:
After taking a break, I'm back to researching my family. If anyone could help me reading some of the writing on these two records, I'd really appreciate it. (Originally posted these in the Polish translations thread, but they're actually in Latin so I've moved them here)

Hi,

These records follow the same pattern as those you posted earlier (in December). Again, as I wrote then, the headings are in Latin as are some of the entries. The entries not in Latin are in Polish. Thus the documents are actually hybrids. There is very little in the records which needs to be translated and mostly the questions revolve around the reading of the handwriting..

I read the surname of Stefan’s father as Woytow. This form was written without diacritical marks and using typical 19th Century spelling. The surname most likely would be written as Wójtów in contemporary Polish.

On the other image three fathers appear with the given name Iwan—in entries 3, 6, & 7. Which is of interest to you?

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks, Dave. You are right that it's Woytow.

In the other image I'm interested specifically in the Iwan of House #19, father of Pelagia. The mother's name is clearly Anna Macurowa, but I can't tell what his last name is. The Koni part is all I can make out and none of the Lemko surnames for the village of Telesnica Sanna in the Austrian Cadastral Records are giving me any hints.
Send e-mail
smo

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:41 pm      Post subject:

Hi,

I am looking for some help with the translation of records of a marriage in Latin (entry #6 on the attached picture). Tried to translate parts already, but would appreciate a quick check if I got it right.

Unfortunately the handwriting is very difficult to read as the writer seems to be running out of ink...

Thanks so much in advance!

Best,
Stephan

Date of marriage:
24 ???

Couple:
Franciskus Mordrzejewski juvenis filius inquilini(?) de _____________, Marianna Noncek virgo filia inquilini(?) de Sosno

Franciskus Modrzejewski young man, son, tenant/lodger in _____________, Marianna Noncek young woman, daughter, tenant/lodger in Sosno

Groom’s parents:
Josephus Modrzejewski inq(?), Marianna Kalas
Josephus Modrzejewski ___, Marianna Kalas

Bride’s parents:
Jacobus Noncek inquilini(?), Hedvigis Fritz
Jacobus Noncek tenant/lodger, Hedvigis Fritz

What do the next three columns mean? The names in the last column are the marriage witnesses?

Marriage Franciskus & Marianna.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  895.6 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Marriage Franciskus & Marianna.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:13 am      Post subject:

td85 wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
td85 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks, Dave. You are right that it's Woytow.

In the other image I'm interested specifically in the Iwan of House #19, father of Pelagia. The mother's name is clearly Anna Macurowa, but I can't tell what his last name is. The Koni part is all I can make out and none of the Lemko surnames for the village of Telesnica Sanna in the Austrian Cadastral Records are giving me any hints.

Hi,

I read the surname as Koniaszczak.

Wishing you successful research,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:25 am      Post subject:

smo wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for some help with the translation of records of a marriage in Latin (entry #6 on the attached picture). Tried to translate parts already, but would appreciate a quick check if I got it right.

Unfortunately the handwriting is very difficult to read as the writer seems to be running out of ink...

Thanks so much in advance!

Best,
Stephan

Date of marriage:
24 ???

Couple:
Franciskus Mordrzejewski juvenis filius inquilini(?) de _____________, Marianna Noncek virgo filia inquilini(?) de Sosno

Franciskus Modrzejewski young man, son, tenant/lodger in _____________, Marianna Noncek young woman, daughter, tenant/lodger in Sosno

Groom’s parents:
Josephus Modrzejewski inq(?), Marianna Kalas
Josephus Modrzejewski ___, Marianna Kalas

Bride’s parents:
Jacobus Noncek inquilini(?), Hedvigis Fritz
Jacobus Noncek tenant/lodger, Hedvigis Fritz

What do the next three columns mean? The names in the last column are the marriage witnesses?

Hi Stephan,

You did a good job extracting & translating most of the info. I would suggest a few minor changes to increase the accuracy and a bit of background info which should help to clarify the nature & content of the record.

The record is a civil transcript. In German controlled Poland the civil government used copies of parish registers as civil vital records. Catholic priests and Protestant (Lutheran) ministers acted as civil registrars until 1874 when civil registry offices not connected to a church were established after the unification of various states and principalities into the German Empire in 1871. Prior to 1874 the civil government determined the content of the ecclesiastical registers. Certain words were used to designate the status of the individuals named in the record. The entries were recorded in printed registers in columnar format with the headings of the columns already printed in the register. In the record you posted, the priest used a blank columnar register and wrote the headings himself in longhand. He shortened the headings through the use of “etc.” In the translation I used the usual full headings.

Here are some words from the record used with a particular meaning in such records...juvenis, a (young) man who had never been married regardless of his age; virgo, a maiden (a female who had never been married) regardless of age; inquilinus/tenant: a landless peasant who lived in someone else’s home.

The bride needed the permission of her father/parents because of her young age. The given names of individuals in the record are translated into their Polish form since that was the vernacular of those who appear in the record. (Attached is a PDF I compiled which translates the Latin version of given names into Polish and into English. Perhaps you may find it useful in further research). The three columns you asked about deal with parental consent, dispensations, and the dates of the announcements of the banns. The dates of the banns are given according to the ecclesiastical liturgical calendar in use at the time. During the opening months of the year there was a relatively small window of time when religious marriage ceremonies ordinarily took place. They were held after the end of the Christmas season on January 6 (the Feast of the Epiphany) and before Lent began on Ash Wednesday. Depending on the date on which Easter fell, Ash Wednesday could fall between early February and mid March. In 1867 Ash Wednesday fell on March 7 since Easter was late in April that year (April 22). The names of the three Sundays immediately prior to Ash Wednesday were Quinquagesima, Sextagesima, and Septuagesima Sundays. The names show the number of days (50, 60, & 70) between those Sundays and Easter Sunday. Once Lent began weddings were not celebrated until after the Octave of Easter (The Sunday after Easter Sunday).

I hope that you find the explanation useful. The translation will follow.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year): 6
Col. 2: Annus, Dies et Mensis Copulationis = The Year, Day and Month of the Marriage: February 24, 1867
Col. 3: Nomen Sacerdotis = The Name of the Priest blessing the Marriage: ditto
Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, demominato domicilii, status artis vel conditionis vitae, et utrum in ecclesia an in privato copulati sint = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, status of art or condition of life, and whether they were married in a church or in private: Franciszek Modrzejewski, a single young man, the son of tenants from Jastrzębiec under Więcbork and Maryanna Noncek, a maiden, the daughter of tenants from Sosno
Col. 5: Num copulati vel una pars eorum antea vinculo matrimonii obstricti aut obstricta fuit, num sub potestate patrentum (corrected from parentem) vel tutorum existunt. = Whether one of them already had been bound by the state of matrimony or if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians: ditto
Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 30
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 19
Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic
Col. 8: Nomen et Cognomen Parentum = Given & Surname of the Parents
Col. 8a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Józef Modrzejewski, a tenant (inquilinus) and Maryanna (née) Kalas
Col. 8b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Jakub Noncek, a tenant (inquilinus) and Jadwiga (née) Fritz
Col. 9: Num cum Consensu Parentum vel Tutorum vel Judicii Tutelaris Matrimonium Contractum Sit. = Whether the marriage was contracted with the Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians or of the Court of Guardianship: The bride with the consent of her father
Col. 10: Dies Promulgationum = dates of the Proclamation (of the Banns): The First on the 5th Sunday after Epiphany (D[ominica] V post E[piphaniam]); The 2nd on Septuagesima Sunday; The 3rd on Sexagesima Sunday
Col. 11: Num cum Dispensatione Aliqua Matrimonium Contraxerunt et de Quo Dato = Whether they contracted marriage with any dispensation and from what it was granted. : Column Missing
Col. 12: Nomen, Cognomen, ars et conditio vitae adstantium testium = The First Names and Surnames, profession and state of life of the present witnesses (Column heading missing): Carolus We???; Joannes Larek = Karol We??? (&) Jan Larek

GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  GIVEN NAMES-LATIN, ENGLISH, POLISH.pdf
 Filesize:  66.22 KB
 Downloaded:  287 Time(s)

smo

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:05 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
Hi Stephan,

You did a good job extracting & translating most of the info. I would suggest a few minor changes to increase the accuracy and a bit of background info which should help to clarify the nature & content of the record.

The record is a civil transcript. In German controlled Poland the civil government used copies of parish registers as civil vital records. Catholic priests and Protestant (Lutheran) ministers acted as civil registrars until 1874 when civil registry offices not connected to a church were established after the unification of various states and principalities into the German Empire in 1871. Prior to 1874 the civil government determined the content of the ecclesiastical registers. Certain words were used to designate the status of the individuals named in the record. The entries were recorded in printed registers in columnar format with the headings of the columns already printed in the register. In the record you posted, the priest used a blank columnar register and wrote the headings himself in longhand. He shortened the headings through the use of “etc.” In the translation I used the usual full headings.

Here are some words from the record used with a particular meaning in such records...juvenis, a (young) man who had never been married regardless of his age; virgo, a maiden (a female who had never been married) regardless of age; inquilinus/tenant: a landless peasant who lived in someone else’s home.

The bride needed the permission of her father/parents because of her young age. The given names of individuals in the record are translated into their Polish form since that was the vernacular of those who appear in the record. (Attached is a PDF I compiled which translates the Latin version of given names into Polish and into English. Perhaps you may find it useful in further research). The three columns you asked about deal with parental consent, dispensations, and the dates of the announcements of the banns. The dates of the banns are given according to the ecclesiastical liturgical calendar in use at the time. During the opening months of the year there was a relatively small window of time when religious marriage ceremonies ordinarily took place. They were held after the end of the Christmas season on January 6 (the Feast of the Epiphany) and before Lent began on Ash Wednesday. Depending on the date on which Easter fell, Ash Wednesday could fall between early February and mid March. In 1867 Ash Wednesday fell on March 7 since Easter was late in April that year (April 22). The names of the three Sundays immediately prior to Ash Wednesday were Quinquagesima, Sextagesima, and Septuagesima Sundays. The names show the number of days (50, 60, & 70) between those Sundays and Easter Sunday. Once Lent began weddings were not celebrated until after the Octave of Easter (The Sunday after Easter Sunday).

Dave

Col. 2: Annus, Dies et Mensis Copulationis = The Year, Day and Month of the Marriage: February 24, 1867
Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, demominato domicilii, status artis vel conditionis vitae, et utrum in ecclesia an in privato copulati sint = The First Name and Surname of those marrying, (their) place of residence, status of art or condition of life, and whether they were married in a church or in private: Franciszek Modrzejewski, a single young man, the son of tenants from Jastrzębiec under Więcbork and Maryanna Noncek, a maiden, the daughter of tenants from Sosno
Col. 5: Num copulati vel una pars eorum antea vinculo matrimonii obstricti aut obstricta fuit, num sub potestate patrentum (corrected from parentem) vel tutorum existunt. = Whether one of them already had been bound by the state of matrimony or if not, whether they remained to this time under the tutelage of (their) parents or guardians: ditto
Col. 8a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Józef Modrzejewski, a tenant (inquilinus) and Maryanna (née) Kalas
Col. 8b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Jakub Noncek, a tenant (inquilinus) and Jadwiga (née) Fritz
Col. 9: Num cum Consensu Parentum vel Tutorum vel Judicii Tutelaris Matrimonium Contractum Sit. = Whether the marriage was contracted with the Consent of the Parents or of the Guardians or of the Court of Guardianship: The bride with the consent of her father
Col. 10: Dies Promulgationum = dates of the Proclamation (of the Banns): The First on the 5th Sunday after Epiphany (D[ominica] V post E[piphaniam]); The 2nd on Septuagesima Sunday; The 3rd on Sexagesima Sunday
Col. 11: Num cum Dispensatione Aliqua Matrimonium Contraxerunt et de Quo Dato = Whether they contracted marriage with any dispensation and from what it was granted. : Column Missing
Col. 12: Nomen, Cognomen, ars et conditio vitae adstantium testium = The First Names and Surnames, profession and state of life of the present witnesses (Column heading missing): Carolus We???; Joannes Larek = Karol We??? (&) Jan Larek

Hi Dave,

thank you so much for your detailed response, super helpful and much appreciated.

A bit of context: Recently started to look into my family history and was able to get to my great-great-grandfather with the help of my grandmother's memory. Now I figured out the location of birth from German marriage records of my great(x2)-grandfather (he moved to Germany in early 19xx) - Sossnow near Lindenwald/Wawelno. Some more research in the ptg.gda.pl database leads me to believe that Franciskus Modrzejewski is the father of my great(x2)-grandfather and Jacobus could be my great(x4)-grandfather.

Was not yet aware that there are both civil and church records for the period before 1874, so far I thought only church records existed. I wrote to the Archiwum Diecezji Pelplińskiej asking for help with accessing some of the records I found (before planning a trip to the places myself Smile) - maybe I'll be lucky and they can help. But given that there are also civil records, would there also be another archive that might have the civil records from that time period?

Thanks again for your help!
Best,
Stephan
nick3371

Replies: 104

Post Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:12 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

Could you translate this marriage record for Stanislaw Olszewski and Martianna Jez... in 1843 in Siedlimowo? It is entry 4 on the page.

Thank you I appreciate it!

Nick

1843 Olszewski.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  451.87 KB

1843 Olszewski.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:00 pm      Post subject:

smo wrote:
dnowicki wrote:
Hi Stephan,

Dave

Hi Dave,

thank you so much for your detailed response, super helpful and much appreciated.

A bit of context: Recently started to look into my family history and was able to get to my great-great-grandfather with the help of my grandmother's memory. Now I figured out the location of birth from German marriage records of my great(x2)-grandfather (he moved to Germany in early 19xx) - Sossnow near Lindenwald/Wawelno. Some more research in the ptg.gda.pl database leads me to believe that Franciskus Modrzejewski is the father of my great(x2)-grandfather and Jacobus could be my great(x4)-grandfather.

Was not yet aware that there are both civil and church records for the period before 1874, so far I thought only church records existed. I wrote to the Archiwum Diecezji Pelplińskiej asking for help with accessing some of the records I found (before planning a trip to the places myself Smile) - maybe I'll be lucky and they can help. But given that there are also civil records, would there also be another archive that might have the civil records from that time period?

Thanks again for your help!
Best,
Stephan

Stephan,

There usually are several locations where records for a given parish can be found. Just by looking at a pre-1874 record it is not possible to say whether it is an ecclesiastical copy or a civil transcript since both are identical in form and in content. It is usually possible to make a pretty good guess about whether the copy would be considered ecclesiastical or civil based on where the record is housed. Records held in the parish itself can be considered ecclesiastical. Records held in a Polish National Archive are usually civil transcripts. Copies held in diocesan archives could fall into either category. In post-1874 records the distinction is clear. Ecclesiastical records are in Latin in the columnar format whereas civil records are in German in a distinct format.

Since I don’t know the parish of origin of records of interest to you I’ll use the parish of Więcbork as an example of where to find records for that parish. Here is a link to a site which shows where records for the parish can be found. The index was compiled by volunteers in Poland and does not list each and every place where the records can be found but it is a good place to start. The link: https://parafie.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=pr&pid=9515
A good site to find records housed in Polish National Archives can be accessed on the following link: https://www.szukajwarchiwach.gov.pl/en/wyszukiwarka
It is also usually a good idea to use Family Search to find records. Here is the link: https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/165378?availability=Family%20History%20Library
When you look at the film notes on Family Search you see that the records were filmed both in Germany and in the archives of the parish of Więcbork.

Anyway, there are usually several ways to skin the proverbial cat of records and it is wise to use them all.

Wishing you success,

Dav
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:05 pm      Post subject:

nick3371 wrote:
Hello,

Could you translate this marriage record for Stanislaw Olszewski and Martianna Jez... in 1843 in Siedlimowo? It is entry 4 on the page.

Thank you I appreciate it!

Nick

Nick,

Presuming that you were not simply curious about whether or not I am able to translate the record you posted but actually want a translation, here is the translation of the marriage record. Since columnar headings are lacking, I’ll title the sections based on the content of the each entry.

Dave

C.1: # of marriage for the year: 4
C 2: Date of Wedding: 9 November, 1843
C.3: Priest who blessed the marriage: Ditto
C4: Contracting Parties, etc.: Stanisław Ołszewski, a widower, a servant, and Marcjanna Jeżeska, a widow, a servant; both from Siedlimowo. The 3 banns were announced in the parish church of Siedlimowo and no impediment was detected.
C.5: Status: Both spouses are emancipated adults.
C.6: Age—The groom: 25; the bride: 30
C. 7: Religion: Both are Catholic
C. 8: Parents of the Groom: Walenty Olszewski and Maryanna née Dawiarska (Can’t read all the faded letters, but that is what I see)
C. 9: Parents of the bride: Michał and Katarzyna Jeżeski.
C.10: Consent: Without any (parental) consent since they are emancipated adults
C11: Witnesses: Piotr Matuszak and Bartłomiej Matuszak. Both from Siedlimowo.
adame24

Replies: 26

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

I am looking for some assistance reading the "Nomen/Name" sections of this marriage record. This should be Gregorz second marriage, but I can't read his parents names or his spouses names or the other pertinent information. As always your assistance is greatly appreciated!

1. Month – 25 May 1873

Groom
2. House Number – Blank
3. Name – Gregorz Czyż ?
4. Religion – Catholic
5. Age – 45
6. Widower – YES

Bride
7. Name – Katarzyna Ślawska ?
8. Religion – Catholic
9. Age – 38
10. Single – YES

Witnesses
11. Name - ?
12. Condition

1873_Marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.36 MB

1873_Marriage.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:54 pm      Post subject:

adame24 wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for some assistance reading the "Nomen/Name" sections of this marriage record. This should be Gregorz second marriage, but I can't read his parents names or his spouses names or the other pertinent information. As always your assistance is greatly appreciated!

1. Month – 25 May 1873

Groom
2. House Number – Blank
3. Name – Gregorz Czyż ?
4. Religion – Catholic
5. Age – 45
6. Widower – YES

Bride
7. Name – Katarzyna Ślawska ?
8. Religion – Catholic
9. Age – 38
10. Single – YES

Witnesses
11. Name - ?
12. Condition

Hi,

This is how the groom’s info translates: Grzegorz Czyż, a widower after the late Tekla Bielamowicz, the son of the marriage of the late Antoni Czyż and Krystyna Buca(?), gardener*, born & residing in Siepietnica.

Here is the translation of the bride’s entry: Katarzyna Slawska, (The first letter of her surname does not have a diacritical mark.) the daughter of the legitimate marriage of the late Jan Slawski and the late Rozalia Czezkowicz(?), born & residing in Siepietnica.

Witnesses: Michał Stahaczyński, a farmer on a full farmstead (gospodarz) & Michał Czyer(?), ditto ( a farmer on a full farmstead [gospodarz])
The remaining data is as you wrote. All I would add is that it was the first marriage in the parish for the year. When I have doubt about the spelling of a surname the name is followed by (?).
The data for the witnesses is entered in Polish.
Note: hortulanus/gardener: peasant who had a cottage and a small amount of land but not enough for a full farmstead.
I hope this resolves your questions.

Dave
a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:19 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Hope you are well! Can you please translate the bottom right death please? Maria Catharina Magdalena Mehlem nee Schoenlaub. Minfeld, Germany 1790

THank you.

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  325.72 KB

Capture.JPG

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:26 pm      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
Hi Dave,

Hope you are well! Can you please translate the bottom right death please? Maria Catharina Magdalena Mehlem nee Schoenlaub. Minfeld, Germany 1790

THank you.

Hi Andrew,

Thank you. I am well and it appears that you are too.

The entry contains some geographical locations which are not familiar to me. I determined the vernacular place names by following the usual rules by which vernacular place names were transformed into Latin Adjectives. The titles of Maria Magdalena’s widowed husband contain place names which do not seem to be near the parish where the burial took place. That would not be unusual for a person of minor noble status. I’ll leave it to you to determine the significance of those places. Also, I translated the honorific titles using the generic meaning of those honorifics since I’m not familiar with any specific use and meaning of those titles in the German States of the 18th Century. Some examples of what I mean are virtuosa Domina (honorable/virtuous Lady) and praeclari Domini (illustrious Lord/Sir). The adjectives virtuosa and praeclarus do mean honorable/virtuous and illustrious but they may very well have denoted a particular status in the region. The titles Domina and Dominus do mean Lady and Lord/Sir but they were probably used for a more specific vernacular title. In Poland Domina would mean Pani (for a married noble woman or Panna for an unmarried noble woman) and Dominus would mean Pan. I’m sure that you have a much better understanding of how those honorifics were used in the German States which in the 18th Century were part of the Holy Roman Empire than I do.

Here is the translation. I hope you find it helpful.

Dave

Right Margin: Maria Magdalena Schoenlaub
Body of Entry: In the Year of Our Lord 1790, actually on the 14th day of the month of October, the honorable/virtuous Lady, Maria Magdalena born Schoenlaub, wife, while she lived, of the surviving widower, the illustrious Lord/Sir Ludwig/Louis Mehlem, the receiver of the royal college of Strasbourg* and also the administrator of the Directory of Weipenburg**, died after having been rightly fortified by the Sacraments of Penance, Eucharist, and Extreme Unction and was buried on the 16th day of the same month and year by me, the undersigned pastor in Minfeld and F(?)reckenfeld, in the cemetery of the parish church of St. Lawrence in Minfeld in the presence of the witnesses, the husband of the deceased and Lord/Sir Francis Mehlem, who signed together with me.
The signatures of Ludwig/Louis Mehlem, Francis Mehlem, and the pastor of the parish.

Notes: *Argentinensis: The Latin Third Declension adjectival form of the vernacular place name Srasbourg
**Weipenburgensis/Weipenburg: The Latin expresses the place name as a Third Declension adjective which is formed from the vernacular place name by the addition of the suffix -ensis
a4u2fear

Replies: 230

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:30 am      Post subject:

Hi dave,

so much good information here! thank you for the translation.

it is indeed freckenfeld which is nearby. Weipenburg is new to me as well as strasbourg. Anyway, this opened some doors for me which now i must find and close.

have a nice sunday
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:57 pm      Post subject:

a4u2fear wrote:
Hi dave,

so much good information here! thank you for the translation.

it is indeed freckenfeld which is nearby. Weipenburg is new to me as well as strasbourg. Anyway, this opened some doors for me which now i must find and close.

have a nice sunday

Hi Andrew,
I believe that what is written there is not Weipenburg (look at how the letter "p" is written elsewhere in the document), but rather Weissenburg. You'll find it on the map today in France, with the spelling Wissembourg, about 40 miles north of Strasbourg.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 194 of 274

Jump to: