PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 8

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:07 pm      Post subject: Searching for Michal SZUDY

I am searching for the birth and baptism records for my grandfather, Michal SZUDY, and names of his parents and siblings. We know nothing of him before he emigrated to the United States in 1907.
According to the ship manifest, he was born in Wola Debowiecka.
According to his death certificate, he was born 28 Sep 1891.
According to his WWI registration card, he was born 23 Oct 1891.
According to his death certificate, his parents were Maciej Szudy and Catherine Marszalek, although his mother's name might be wrong.
I have heard that his birth records are in Urzad Gminy Debowieck and that his baptism records are probably at the parish of Zaleze.
I have tried to contact both places online, but have not heard back. And an online search of Polish birth and baptism records has turned up nothing for him.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Fantom
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 172

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:12 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for Michal SZUDY

Zood wrote:
I am searching for the birth and baptism records for my grandfather, Michal SZUDY, and names of his parents and siblings. We know nothing of him before he emigrated to the United States in 1907.
According to the ship manifest, he was born in Wola Debowiecka.
According to his death certificate, he was born 28 Sep 1891.
According to his WWI registration card, he was born 23 Oct 1891.
According to his death certificate, his parents were Maciej Szudy and Catherine Marszalek, although his mother's name might be wrong.
I have heard that his birth records are in Urzad Gminy Debowieck and that his baptism records are probably at the parish of Zaleze.
I have tried to contact both places online, but have not heard back. And an online search of Polish birth and baptism records has turned up nothing for him.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

You are correct in what you are saying that birth certificates were probably drawn up in the Parish of Zaleze as the villages Zaleze and Wola Debowiecka are situated very close to each other. Some records for the Parish of Zaleze are
in a possession of the National Archives in Rzeszow (Sanok Branch). See below for some records that I hava managed
to locate as being in their possession.

Archival Fond: 60/1634/0 Akta stanu cywilnego Parafii Rzymskokatolickiej w Załężu, which contains the following:
Book of marriages for Markuszka and Zaleze (1886-1933, in Latin)
Book of deaths for Markuszka and Zaleze (1889-1933, in Latin)

Although the book of births is not listed yet the Sanok Branch may possess it as well.
Their contact details are as follows:

Archiwum Państwowe w Rzeszowie/Oddział w Sanoku
Sadowa 32
38-500 Sanok
[email protected]

Perhaps they will agree to perform a paid search or tell you who to turn to.
Some of the records may be possessed by the ecclesiastical archives nearby.
Zood

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:34 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for Michal SZUDY

Thank you so much for your help! I will follow up on that lead.
I was told by a distant relative some years ago that she had seen copies of the church books in an office at Ursad Gminy Debowiec. Do you think I should continue to try to contact them?
I contacted the pastor of Zaleze, but have not heard back. Should I try contacting the Rzeszow diocesan archives instead?
katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:45 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for Michal SZUDY

Zood wrote:
I was told by a distant relative some years ago that she had seen copies of the church books in an office at Ursad Gminy Debowiec. Do you think I should continue to try to contact them?
I contacted the pastor of Zaleze, but have not heard back. Should I try contacting the Rzeszow diocesan archives instead?

Hello Zood,

you can try to contact the Civil Office Rejestry in the Dębowiec Office using the email address: [email protected]
Here is the website (they have the English version) http://www.debowiec.pl
Usually Civil Office Rejestry stores vital records younger than 100 years old (to be precise: birth records younger than 100 years old, and marriage and death records younger than 80 years old), however sometimes older as well (according to the rules, books older than 100 years old should be moved to Archives).

If you would be interested in genealogy research with PolishOrigins' assistance, you can find more details here: https://polishorigins.com/genealogy/
Request form: https://polishorigins.com/genealogy-services-request

Best regards,
Katarzyna Tonia
Fantom
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 172

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:38 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for Michal SZUDY

Zood wrote:

My suggestion was that you should try to contact the National Archives in Sanok because
you are looking for the certificate dated 1891. They possess some records for Zaleze.

Their address is [email protected]
Zood

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:33 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for Michal SZUDY

Thank you both for your suggestions.
Yesterday I emailed the National Archives in Sanok and also the Roman Catholic Diocesan archives in Rzeszow.
I contacted the Dębowiec office previously and also the parish pastor of Zaleze.

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for a response before considering asking for assistance from a group like PolishOrigins?
I am especially wondering how the pandemic has affected genealogy research in Poland.
katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:56 am      Post subject: Re: Searching for Michal SZUDY

Zood wrote:
Thank you both for your suggestions.
Yesterday I emailed the National Archives in Sanok and also the Roman Catholic Diocesan archives in Rzeszow.
I contacted the Dębowiec office previously and also the parish pastor of Zaleze.

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for a response before considering asking for assistance from a group like PolishOrigins?
I am especially wondering how the pandemic has affected genealogy research in Poland.

Hello Zood,
it is very hard to say how long you will wait for a response. Covid has slowed everything down. Archives in Poland are still closed for visitors and therefore employees of archives have more requests. You need to be patient.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
Zood

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:37 pm      Post subject: Re: Searching for Michal SZUDY

Quote:
You are correct in what you are saying that birth certificates were probably drawn up in the Parish of Zaleze as the villages Zaleze and Wola Debowiecka are situated very close to each other. Some records for the Parish of Zaleze are
in a possession of the National Archives in Rzeszow (Sanok Branch).

Although the book of births is not listed yet the Sanok Branch may possess it as well.

To update you, the National Archives replied that they do not have the birth book for Zaleze. I did have success by contacting the parish directly. Not only did they send me information copied from their birth and marriage registries, they also sent me scans of the entries.

It took the National Archives just under a month to reply to my request. I consider that very quick, considering the covid restrictions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: