PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 pm      Post subject: Looking for relatives...Janusz and Pitera families

I am currently researching my mother's side of the family in Poland. My grandmother's maiden name was Marya Janusz and her parents were John Janusz and Franciszka Wieszczek. I found her immigration records today and it said she was born in Lutcza, Galicy. She emigrated to the USA when she was only fourteen years old.

My grandfather was Jacob Pitera and his parents were John Pitera and Zofiz Kryska. I found his birth date and birthplace on his WWI draft registration...November 28, 1891 in Lutcza, Strzyzow. I have not found any records for his emigration to the United States yet but records say he also came in 1907.
It appears that my grandparents were originally from Lutcza. If you have any knowledge about their families or relatives, I would love to hear from you. My husband and I visited Poland for the first time in Sept. We took a tour with some of my relatives and we were so impressed! We are eagerly looking forward to returning but this time I want to trace my roots and visit the villages my ancestors came from.

Does anyone recognize any of these names or can you shed any light on my search to find information about their lives in Poland? I do have their marriage certificate from Fall River, Massachusetts. USA (which is how I got their parents' names) and information from their census. My mother is 89 and the last of the Pitera children still living. She can tell me a lot about their lives here in the states, but knows nothing about anything that took place in Poland.
I am so proud of my Polish heritage and eagerly look forward to learning more about it!

Thank you,
Jane
Send e-mail
PolishLibrarian
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 311

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:03 pm      Post subject:

Jane~ I presume you have found Lutcza on a map, but if not I've attached one to show where it is in relation Rzeszow. Thanks to Davepio's reminder about the MS Snipping Tool. Very Happy ~PL

Lutcza.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.16 KB
 Viewed:  10002 Time(s)

Lutcza.JPG

janedufault
PolishOrigins Patron

Replies: 21

Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:30 pm      Post subject:

Thank you! Gilberto sent me some very valuable information too! This is so fascinating! I'm truly hooked now on finding out everything I can about my Polish ancestry. The sooner I do, the sooner we will be returning with my daughters to travel to all these places. I can't wait.

thank you,
Jane
Send e-mail
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:57 am      Post subject:

Jane,

A church you will surely enjoy visiting:
http://lutcza.rzeszow.opoka.org.pl/

Gilberto
Send e-mail
ChristineF

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:43 am      Post subject: Re: Looking for relatives...Janusz and Pitera families

janedufault wrote:
I am currently researching my mother's side of the family in Poland. My grandmother's maiden name was Marya Janusz and her parents were John Janusz and Franciszka Wieszczek. I found her immigration records today and it said she was born in Lutcza, Galicy. She emigrated to the USA when she was only fourteen years old.

My grandfather was Jacob Pitera and his parents were John Pitera and Zofiz Kryska. I found his birth date and birthplace on his WWI draft registration...November 28, 1891 in Lutcza, Strzyzow. I have not found any records for his emigration to the United States yet but records say he also came in 1907.
It appears that my grandparents were originally from Lutcza. If you have any knowledge about their families or relatives, I would love to hear from you. My husband and I visited Poland for the first time in Sept. We took a tour with some of my relatives and we were so impressed! We are eagerly looking forward to returning but this time I want to trace my roots and visit the villages my ancestors came from.

Does anyone recognize any of these names or can you shed any light on my search to find information about their lives in Poland? I do have their marriage certificate from Fall River, Massachusetts. USA (which is how I got their parents' names) and information from their census. My mother is 89 and the last of the Pitera children still living. She can tell me a lot about their lives here in the states, but knows nothing about anything that took place in Poland.
I am so proud of my Polish heritage and eagerly look forward to learning more about it!

Thank you,
Jane
ChristineF

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:47 am      Post subject:

Hi. I'm french. I visited Lutcza twice because my grand-father was born at Lutcza. Do you know when your grand-mother Marya Janusz was born? Best regards.
jehartel

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:30 am      Post subject: Jacob Pitera - Immigration

Dear Jane,

You and I are working separate branches of the same Sieczkowski-Pitera-Janusz family tree. I believe I have located Jacob Pitera's immigration records from 25 November 1909. He is listed as Jakob Pietera - a common misspelling of Pitera - on the New York Passenger Lists. His father is shown as Jan Pietera from Lutcza, Galicia. The names are good, immigration dates are close to what his census records show, and the point-of-origin is perfect, which is better than most for these Polish genealogy hunts. He's on line 28. It's important to look at both pages of the manifest.

Quote:
New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957, Year: 1909; Arrival: New York, New York; Microfilm Serial: T715, 1897-1957; Microfilm Roll: Roll 1379; Line: 28; Page Number: 64

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/26653646/person/360147591155/facts

Importantly, he traveled with at least three other Polish men from Lutcza, including a probable brother Wojciech Pietera - whose father is also shown as Jan Pitera, though his destination was Bridgeport CT.

Jacob's personal reference was his cousin "Marya Dudek" (later Maria/Mary Sieczkowski) of Allen Street, Lawrence, Massachusetts - my maternal GGM. My research of city directories from Lawrence also showed that in 1912 a Jacob Pitera lived briefly at 101 Union Street in Lawrence with Andrzej Pitera (Mary's probable brother), Stanislaw Pitera, and Jozef Pitera, but then disappeared from Lawrence. During that timeframe, a number of different Pitera's arrived in then departed Lawrence; these include Jakob (as discussed here), a Jozef, a Stanislaw, a Karol (wife: Helena), and a Walter (wife: Balvina). I haven't really pulled the thread on some of these, yet, but will.

Erik

41262_b132091-00188.jpg
 Description:
Jacob Pitera - Mary Janusz marriage record
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

41262_b132091-00188.jpg

NYT715_1379-0130.jpg
 Description:
Page 2 of Ship manifest
 Filesize:  591.4 KB

NYT715_1379-0130.jpg

NYT715_1379-0129.jpg
 Description:
Page 1 of Ship manifest (Lines 28-30)
 Filesize:  681.83 KB

NYT715_1379-0129.jpg

spitera

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 pm      Post subject:

Hello, my name is Steven and I am also finding out more info about my family. I was born and raised in NYC and my parents came here from Poland in the 50's/60s after the communist government started allowing families to leave if they had a sponsor in the other country. I have some information that somewhat matches your information but branches off.

First, my last name is Pitera and I was born in 1986. My father is Stanislaw Pitera, forget when he was actually born, but he is around 65 or so. His father was Zygmunt Pitera and he married my grandmother Zofia. I forget her maiden name, but she was born in the town of Rzeczew (spelling correct?). My father was born in the town of Lutcza and i heard tales of his misadventures from aunts and cousins.

My grandfather was supposedly in a work camp during ww2 where he learned how to make furniture and play the violin. He escaped with a buddy, though I am unsure of the date, but it could have been when the war was ending. I had these talks with my dad over drinks haha. Anyway, I heard he was in the polish resistance disrupting supply lines and shooting at nazi officers, listened to Free Europe Radio, and not to mention kept a German machine gun hidden in the house after the war for protection even though owning a gun was illegal under the communist govt. My grandfather Died in 1988 from a cancer related to either woodworker or something else throat related. He died 2 years after I was born, and a few months after my little brother was born. I only know him through home videos and passed down information from family members. He was incredibly articulate, learned English by reading newspapers, and was always up to date on political affairs. He also smoked a pipe, wore an eye patch and I think he shared the genetics of his nose with me.

My grandmother was born in Rzeczew and I forget her maiden name. As far as I know, she was a teenager, I think, under the nazis. Her father tried to hide a Jewish friend of his, but after seeing her friends lined up and shot by the Nazis, my grandmother pleaded with her father to try to find another place to hide his friend. As far as I know, he was able to hide his friend in the forest bringing him food and supplies every so often. I do not know either of their names, and I do not know how true any of this is. My grandmother has dementia now, will only respond to my father, and I think her mind is only recounting the times when they lived in NYC in the 70s, but she doesn't remember me.

My grandfather's brother was Teddy Pitera. He served in WW2 as a cook, owned a bakery on Long Island and died sometime in the 90s. I remember the funeral. Teddy, his sister, and his father fled to USA before the fall of Europe though I am not sure of the exact time. Their father went first, earned enough money to bring over their sister, followed by Teddy, and then my grandfather was next but was stuck in Poland after the nazis took over in 1936.

I hope this helps and unlocks more doors for us.
rootseeker

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:59 am      Post subject: Janusz ancestors

Jane, et al,

My GM Jozefa Janusz, b 1889 in Lutcza, to Franciszek (Frank) Janusz and Marianna (Mary) Fron (they married in 1898 in Domaradz). She immigrated in 1913 (claimed to be 17 yo on pax manifest, arriving in NY on 13 May 1913 on the SS Zeeland from Antwerp). She traveled with Wojciech Janusz, 23, also from Lutzca. His father, Jozef Janusz, was her father’s brother, making them first cousins. Jozefa went to cousin Marya Skrepa (probably her misspelled married name) in Lawrence MA. Wojciech went to Jan Janusz in Taunton MA. I could not find records for Marya, Wojciech or Jan in Lawrence or Taunton. There are records for Krupski in MA.

Records on the geneteka.genealodzy.pl site for Lutcza and Domaradz begin in 1890 with limited information. For Lutcza, there are only records for births, 273 from 1890 to 1903. I did not find a birth record for Wojciech, who would have been born 1889-1890. There was a Jozef Janusz in Lutcza, who married Anna Dudek. Their 6 children, all born in Lutcza, were Adalbertus (b 1890), Stanislawa (b 1892), Jacobus (b 1895), Sophia (b 1896), Jacobus (1899), and Stanislaus (b 1902). Wojciech could have been their eldest son (of 7 children). There were several other Jozef Janusz families in Lutcza at this time.

When Jozefa and husband Wladyslaw Gryczewski (married in Utica NY) moved to Toledo OH, they initially stayed with Jozefa's first cousin Joseph Janusz (and wife Katarzyna Kuca and two sons). Josephus (Joseph) Janusz's parents were Maciej Janusz and Katerzyna Wojtaszek. I was able to piece together this much of this family: Marianna (1895-1924, married J Sakowski), Andreas (b 1897), Anna (1898-1972), and Sophia (b 1901).

Franciszek, Jozef, and Maciej may have had other siblings. The Marya Janusz you are researching may likely be a daughter born before 1890 to one of their siblings, or one of their cousins.

Geneteka site does not show any Lutcza births to Janusz and Franciszka Wieszczek (again, only covers 1890 to 1903). Jozef Janusz and Marianna Wieszczek had 5 children during this time, all sons. No other births in Podkarpacie to a Janusz and Wieszczek couple.

I hope this might be of use to you. If your Marya is a cousin of my buscia, Jozefa, please share info on their common ancestors.

Best regards,
Luann
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: