PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:58 pm      Post subject: Deciphering place name

Hi, I've had a photo of my 2nd great-grandfather's declaration of intention from when he left Poland for the USA. However, I've not been able to figure out the name of the last place of foreign residence he wrote down. I've tried guessing (it looks like Malamnuko or something similar to me but when I put that into google I get nothing haha) but I've not been able to figure it out yet. If anyone recognises it please let me know!

Thanks,
Bridget

75226294_10220139617191767_5675959887671066624_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  79.43 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

75226294_10220139617191767_5675959887671066624_n.jpg

Last edited by bchocholek on Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:15 am      Post subject: Re: Deciphering place name

bchocholek wrote:
Hi, I've had a photo of my 2nd great-grandfather's declaration of intention from when he left Poland for the USA. However, I've not been able to figure out the name of the last place of foreign residence he wrote down. I've tried guessing (it looks like Malamnuko or something similar to me but when I put that into gogole I get nothing haha) but I've not been able to figure it out yet. If anyone recognises it please let me know!

Thanks,
Bridget

Hi Bridget,
It is probably Malanówko.
You can find it on google maps.
Best of luck in your research,
Sophia
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 am      Post subject: Re: Deciphering place name

Sophia wrote:
bchocholek wrote:
Hi, I've had a photo of my 2nd great-grandfather's declaration of intention from when he left Poland for the USA. However, I've not been able to figure out the name of the last place of foreign residence he wrote down. I've tried guessing (it looks like Malamnuko or something similar to me but when I put that into gogole I get nothing haha) but I've not been able to figure it out yet. If anyone recognises it please let me know!

Thanks,
Bridget

Hi Bridget,
Sophia

I think you are right.
Malanówko belonged to the parish of Ligowo. There is a birth record of Franciszek Kopaczewski in this parish, in the year of 1868, birth place: Malanówko, parents: Tomasz Kopaczewski and Walentyna Słabowska.
Record numeber 138:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVC-ZL3G?cat=223710

PAYPAL: [email protected]
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:22 pm      Post subject: Re: Deciphering place name

bchocholek wrote:
Hi, I've had a photo of my 2nd great-grandfather's declaration of intention from when he left Poland for the USA. However, I've not been able to figure out the name of the last place of foreign residence he wrote down. I've tried guessing (it looks like Malamnuko or something similar to me but when I put that into google I get nothing haha) but I've not been able to figure it out yet. If anyone recognises it please let me know!

Thanks,
Bridget

Hi Bridget, Sophia & Marcel,

I agree with Sophia & Marcel that the place is Malanówko and that it extremely likely that the record Marcel located is for your ancestor, although the birth date is not in agreement with the date on the Declaration of Intention. Geneteka lists siblings of Franciszek with links to the scans at https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=kopaczewski%20&search_name=tomasz&search_lastname2=&search_name2=walentyna&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable Malanówko was where all his siblings were born. The marriage of his parents and the birth record of his father are also indexed but without scans. The records are available at Family Search, but must be viewed at a Family History Center or affiliated public library.

To lock down confirmation that he is the correct person it would probably be helpful to contact the parish where he married and resided in Michigan. The Polish parish in the Lincoln Twp. was St. Florian in Standish. The parish has been consolidated with another and is now known as Resurrection of the Lord. Here is the link http://www.arenaccatholic.com/contact-us.html The marriage record should be able to confirm the names of his parents.

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave
bchocholek

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:51 pm      Post subject: Re: Deciphering place name

marcelproust wrote:
Sophia wrote:
bchocholek wrote:

Thanks,
Bridget

Hi Bridget,
Sophia

I think you are right.
Malanówko belonged to the parish of Ligowo. There is a birth record of Franciszek Kopaczewski in this parish, in the year of 1868, birth place: Malanówko, parents: Tomasz Kopaczewski and Walentyna Słabowska.
Record numeber 138:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSVC-ZL3G?cat=223710

Hi,

Thank you both for your deciphering! I've been trying different spellings for weeks now with no luck! I'll have a look at that record as well

Thanks,
B
bchocholek

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:03 pm      Post subject: Re: Deciphering place name

dnowicki wrote:
bchocholek wrote:

Thanks,
Bridget

Hi Bridget, Sophia & Marcel,

I agree with Sophia & Marcel that the place is Malanówko and that it extremely likely that the record Marcel located is for your ancestor, although the birth date is not in agreement with the date on the Declaration of Intention. Geneteka lists siblings of Franciszek with links to the scans at https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=07mz&rid=B&search_lastname=kopaczewski%20&search_name=tomasz&search_lastname2=&search_name2=walentyna&from_date=&to_date=&rpp1=&ordertable Malanówko was where all his siblings were born. The marriage of his parents and the birth record of his father are also indexed but without scans. The records are available at Family Search, but must be viewed at a Family History Center or affiliated public library.

To lock down confirmation that he is the correct person it would probably be helpful to contact the parish where he married and resided in Michigan. The Polish parish in the Lincoln Twp. was St. Florian in Standish. The parish has been consolidated with another and is now known as Resurrection of the Lord. Here is the link http://www.arenaccatholic.com/contact-us.html The marriage record should be able to confirm the names of his parents.

Wishing you continued successful research,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you again for all your advice. I'll definitely have another go at using Family Search and have a look at what else might be indexed. Interestingly the birth date isn't the only thing that doesn't seem correct on the Declaration of Intention, there were 2 or 3 other bits of info that seemed a little off as well, so I'm just using it as a rough guide for information at the moment ????

Thanks again,
B
davidckane

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:13 pm      Post subject:

Hi. Can anyone decipher the location in row 70 under the column entitled "Hailing place or Place of starting?" https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-5RBV-M?i=456&wc=MX6L-ZPD%3A165933301&cc=1849782

I'm trying to figure out if this passenger manifest could be my great-grandfather. The date of the manifest is close to the date indicated on the naturalization record, which refers to Rypin -- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89Q4-436Z?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=KG3Q-3HW&i=966

Thanks!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:01 pm      Post subject:

davidckane wrote:
Hi. Can anyone decipher the location in row 70 under the column entitled "Hailing place or Place of starting?" https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-5RBV-M?i=456&wc=MX6L-ZPD%3A165933301&cc=1849782

I'm trying to figure out if this passenger manifest could be my great-grandfather. The date of the manifest is close to the date indicated on the naturalization record, which refers to Rypin -- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89Q4-436Z?from=lynx1UIV8&treeref=KG3Q-3HW&i=966

Thanks!

Hi David,
On the ship manifest, I read it as "Strzyk" so looking at a map near Rypin, I am drawn to "Strzygi." What do you think?
Sophia
davidckane

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:11 pm      Post subject:

Sophia wrote:
davidckane wrote:

Thanks!

Hi David,
On the ship manifest, I read it as "Strzyk" so looking at a map near Rypin, I am drawn to "Strzygi." What do you think?
Sophia

Very possible. It looks like a "K" at the end, but this could be it. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Page 2 of 2

Jump to: