PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
German records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42
Author

Replies: 237

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:35 am      Post subject: Re: 1875 marriage, Gniewkowo - translation request

5cousins wrote:
I have a very basic translation for this civil marriage record, but I'd like to see if there is any additional information there. I also have the church record for this marriage, and the people, dates, etc. all seem to match. The marriage is between Wojciech Kwiatkowski and Marianna Gaszak. Especially want to confirm names, places, parents, etc. and I'm also wondering about the name Prusinski that appears both in the description of the bride and groom and as one of the witnesses. Any insight there is much appreciated.

Here is what I got from the people who supplied the scan:
Wojciech/Adalbert Kwiatkowski was born in Popioły (Grabie parish) [Grabie is now Inowrocław]
to unmarried Agnes Kwiatkowska and resident in Gniewkowo.
Marianna Gaszak was born in Lipie and lived there. Her parents were
Johann Gaszak and Florentina Lewandowska. Johann is the witness and is 48
ys old.

Of course, a full translation would be useful as well. Thanks for obliging me.
Jeff

Hello Jeff

A registrar had to approve the identity of the engaged couple as well as of the witnesses. Quite often he knew his people and you will find the remark “von Person bekannt” or “of known identity” in the records. In this marriage the registrar knew only the sexton [Kirchendiener] Carl Prusinski. Carl approved the identity of the engaged couple as well as of the other witness and acted as a witness himself, too. Hence you'll find his name several times in the document.

Here is a transcription of the document with the line break according to the original:

B.
Nr. 42
Gniewkowo am einundzwanzigsten
Dezember tausend acht hundert siebenzig und fünf
Vormittags neun Uhr

Vor dem unterzeichneten Standesbeamten erschienen heute
als Verlobte:

1. Der Knecht Wojciech Kwiatkowski
der Person nach durch den Kirchendiener
Prusinski von hier anerkannt
katholischer Religion, einundzwanzig Jahre alt
geboren zu Popioly, wohnhaft zu Gniewkowo
Sohn der Agnes Kwiatkowska

2. Die Magd Marianna Gaszak
der Person nach durch g. [genannten] Prusinski
anerkannt,
katholischer Religion, sechszehn Jahre alt,
geboren zu Lipie, wohnhaft in Lipie
Tochter der Johann und Florentine geb. Lewandowska, Gaszak’schen
Eheleute

sowie als Zeugen:

3. Der Kirchendiener Karl Prusinski
der Person nach
bekannt,
fünfundfünfzig Jahre alt, wohnhaft zu Gniew-
kowo

4. Der Einlieger Johann Gaszak
der Person nach durch g. [genannten] Prusinski
anerkannt
achtundvierzig Jahre alt, wohnhaft zu Lipie

Die Verlobten erklärten vor dem Standesbeamten
und in Gegenwart der Zeugen persönlich ihren Willen,
die Ehe miteinander eingehen zu wollen.

Vorgelesen, genehmigt und vom Prusinski
unterschrieben, von den Anderen
wegen Schreibensunkunde unterkreuzt
+++ +++ +++ Carl Prusinski
Der Standesbeamte.
[Signature]

And here is the translation:

B.
No. 42
Gniewkowo on December 21, 1875 at 9 o’clock a.m.

Before the undersigned registrar appeared today as betrothed:

1. The farmhand [Knecht] Wojciech Kwiatkowski, the identity approved through the sexton [Kirchendiener] Prusinski from here, of Catholic religion, 21 years old, born in Popioly [might also be Popiely], residing in Gniewkowo, son of Agnes Kwiatkowska [the father is not mentioned, so the mother was unmarried]

2. The maid [Magd] Marianna Gaszak, the identity approved through the mentioned Prusinski, of Catholic religion, 16 years old, born in Lipie, residing in Lipie, daughter of the spouses Johann and Florentine born Lewandowska, Gaszak

and as witnesses:

3. The sexton [Kirchendiener] Karl Prusinski, of known identity, 55 years old, residing in Gniewkowo

4. The inhabitant [Einlieger] Johann Gaszak, the identity approved through the mentioned Prusinski, 48 years old, residing in Lipie

The betrothed declared to the registrar and in the presence of the witnesses that they were willing to enter into marriage with one another.

Read aloud, approved, and signed by Prusinski, undercrossed by the others due to that they cannot write
+++ +++ +++ Carl Prusinski
The registrar.
[Signature]

Best regards
Michael
5cousins

Replies: 16

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:29 am      Post subject: Re: 1875 marriage, Gniewkowo - translation request

Many thanks, Michael!
I learn a little more every time I go through a record like this. German script is very confusing, even with the little script guides I have found. For instance, I wondered, looking at this record, whether the bride was fifteen instead of sixteen. The letters in funfzehn and sechszehn are so similar: f, h, and s sometimes look nearly identical (among others!). Now I see that the umlaut and the s after the h in sechszehn are major clues. I don't know if I'll ever master German script, but I'm getting better.
Thanks again,
Jeff
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:02 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hi. Michael,
Thanks for the translation of Caroline’s birth record. Question: you translation says “ xxx [see separate note). I don’t know what this means. Are you referring to a separate note you wrote, or is that a direct translation of the record indicating the priest made a separate note somewhere? 
Best,
Cynthia

Hello Cynthia

Tried to send you a personal message regarding that separate note, but it's not getting out of my "outbox". Now I updated my translation accordingly. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Michael
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 720

Post Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:35 pm      Post subject:

Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. That one word is a very significant clue. On its own, it leaves a lot open to interpretation. However, I have been researching my second great grandmother, Maria Radziminska, for almost 10 years. In that time, I have gathered and documented many other pieces of the puzzle, that together with this one word "ulrecht", adds much more weight to the theory I have about her life and what happened to her. It is still a "working theory", but this one added notation by the priest is a significant clue, and I thank you for that!!!

All the best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
Louie

Replies: 49

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:50 am      Post subject: German Translation

Hi,
My great uncle, on the ship's manifest,was listed as a "Landmann". Is there anything more to be teased out from this term besides "farmer"? I did find: "a person who works the land or who keeps livestock" i.e. a farmer.
Again thanks,
louie
Send e-mail
Kmichael8

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:31 am      Post subject: Re: German Translation

Louie wrote:
Hi,
My great uncle, on the ship's manifest,was listed as a "Landmann". Is there anything more to be teased out from this term besides "farmer"? I did find: "a person who works the land or who keeps livestock" i.e. a farmer.
Again thanks,
louie

Hi Louie,

Pierer's Universal-Lexikon, Altenburg 1860, defines: “Landmann, ein die Landwirthschaft ausübender Mann, Bauer.“ That’s quite similar to what you found: a farmer.

Regards,
Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 Page 42 of 42

Jump to: