PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:07 am      Post subject: Gaspard Baïsser from Poland and captured at Ulm in 1805

Gaspard Baïsser is my ancestor. The last name changed over the year to become "Baissait" (My last name. I'm French)

From Poland and captured at Ulm in 1805. (as a reminder: The Battle of Ulm on 16–19 October 1805 was a series of skirmishes, at the end of the Ulm Campaign, which allowed Napoleon I to trap an entire Austrian army under the command of Karl Freiherr Mack von Leiberich with minimal losses and to force its surrender near Ulm in the Electorate of Bavaria.)

So he was brought to France, as he was a prisoner and was put in a city called Saint Amand Montrond in France. Few years later he decided to marry a French woman. But as he was not from France, he doesn't have any paper to prove his identity and that he was not married, so he had to prove that with the people as eyes witness. Those kinds of documents are called "Acte de Notoriété" that can be translated to "Act of notoriety", an official document where the person tells a lot of things about him and some people that know the person that confirms the information. Sadly, Gaspard Baïsser doesn't say much about it: He is Polish, he said that are parents are dead and he gives his age (an approximation). I've found another "Acte de Notoriété" from one of the witnesses (François Fest) that was about to be married and this person gives a lot of details about him (the name of the parents, his birthplace [In Bohemia]).

The "acte de notoriété" of Gaspard mentioned some other people captured at Ulm (Joseph Podroger, François Fest, Jacques Couby,Vincent Noetny and as far as remembered they were from the same regiment but no mentioned of which one)

So to come back to Gaspard Baïsser, I think that his last name is not the right spelling, he told orally them a last name and they translated in French, from what they heard. He must come from Galicia as he served the Austrian army.

I've managed to have the list of the prisoners of Ulm, but too many people and I didn't have the time to take all this in photo maybe 50%. I will came back to photograph the rest later as soon as the COVID is no longer there.

I was told having the regiment (army) would help. But I won't have it until I have photographed the complete list of prisoners.
I was also told the real last name BAJSER or BAIßER or BAIßIER. Could also be "Besser/Basser" as I was told his exist in Poland or even Baisert, Bajsert, Beisert, Beissert, Beyssert, Beissert, Beysert

I know I don't know much about him. What will recommend me to do ? Is there something I should do that haven't mentioned ?

Thanks a lot

PS: If you want my photographs of the list of the prisoners of Ulm, feel free to tell me and if you need some French translate or need some help with the French archive, I can help you
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:09 pm      Post subject:

Hi Victor,
Someone gave you good advise to find the regiment. According to me it's the only way to find him as the info you've collected in France, that is distorted surname and Galician or Bohemian origin, are too little to find him in Poland.
Since there isn't anything like general alphabetical register of soldiers but registers of particular regiments, it's crucial to find out which regiment he served in. When you get it, you would be able to find him in military registers of that regiment. These military files you can find in the Archive of War in Wien, Austria.
Link: https://www.archivinformationssystem.at/archivplansuche.aspx
Kriegsarchiv
Nottendorfer Gasse 2
1030 Wien
Austria
Phone: +43-1-79540-452
E-Mail: [email protected]

Best regards
Piotr
victor46542

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:30 pm      Post subject:

Thanks a lot for your advice !
I will try to track him down on the list to find the regiment. I will try to look again on the photographs I've made and try to see if I can see him (as I couldn't find him), unless I will go back to the archives to make some photograph after the covid.

I hope the last name is not too distorted

By the way, I recalled, that someone told me the first name could be not Gaspard but Kaspar (but on the file I've photographed there are some Gaspard as far as remembered)
Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:30 pm      Post subject:

I don't speak French but presume that Polish Kacper (this's correct spelling) is an equivalent of French Gaspard
victor46542

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 pm      Post subject:

Thanks ! I've just check Kacper and it's right equivalent.
I'm gonna check for the french spelling or polish speeling on the list of the prisoners
victor46542

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 pm      Post subject:

I think I've found a name could sound like baïssier in French in my list

"Baijer", as I don't speak polish, I put the name on Google Traduction to be read in polish and the sound like baïssier.

Can anyone confirm me it's Baijer that is written and also what is the first name, I simply can't read it:I guess it starts with a J

Thanks a lot !

3860A copie.png
 Description:
Baijer
 Filesize:  1008.84 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

3860A copie.png

Piotr Zelny
PolishOrigins Team

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:45 am      Post subject:

Definitely there is Baijer. In Polish it would be written 'Bajer' and it sounds almost exactly like French 'bayer' - just 'r' must be spelled a bit stronger. Polish word bajer derives from slang (it's still slang) and it stands for 'a pitch' or 'a little cheat'.
First name looks like Johann but you have to compare the third letter with other words and similar letter in the manuscript to make sure that it's really 'h'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: