PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 51

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:39 pm      Post subject: Jacobi Mamczur (Manczur), Huta Stara

I am attaching a 1858 death record from Huta Stara, Lubaczow. I would be grateful for a translation of the cause of death. What is especially puzzling is the "2007" and what looks like sepultus.

Thank you!

Death of Jacobi Mamczur (Manczur) age 37 domus 22 Huta Stara 1858.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.04 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Death of Jacobi Mamczur (Manczur) age 37 domus 22 Huta Stara 1858.JPG

Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:01 am      Post subject: Re: Jacobi Mamczur (Manczur), Huta Stara

efc3011 wrote:
I am attaching a 1858 death record from Huta Stara, Lubaczow. I would be grateful for a translation of the cause of death. What is especially puzzling is the "2007" and what looks like sepultus.

Thank you!

Hi,

The entry gives the formal Austrian government’s determination of the cause of Jakub’s death as what would appear to be a farm related accident in which he was crushed by soil. It is not clear whether he was crushed by a load of soil which was being transported or whether he died as the result of a cave in. Before he was buried a local government board determined that the death was accidental and granted permission for the burial to take place. It is doubtful that currently the decree/decision could be found in some Austrian archive, but the paperwork was issued on 21 May, 1858 under the number 2007.

Here is a translation of the entry:

Having been pressed by soil he died an accidental death (&) according to the decision of the imperial district/circuit of the 21st day of May, 1858 Number 2007 was buried.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave
efc3011

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:25 pm      Post subject: Jacobi Mamczur (Manczur) Huta Stara

Dave,
Thank you for your translation. What a terrible way to die! Poor Jacub!

Jacub's daughter's death record says she died of "Shusi". I tried to find a translation for this online, but could not.
Do you know what that means?

Thank you,
Elaine
Send e-mail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm      Post subject: Re: Jacobi Mamczur (Manczur) Huta Stara

efc3011 wrote:
Dave,
Thank you for your translation. What a terrible way to die! Poor Jacub!

Jacub's daughter's death record says she died of "Shusi". I tried to find a translation for this online, but could not.
Do you know what that means?

Thank you,
Elaine

Hi Elaine,

The word you see as Shusi is actually Thusi (more commonly spelled Thussi). In terms of Latin grammar it is the Ablative Singular of thussis, thussis, f. cough. (The more common and more correct spelling is tussis, without the h. H is a fricative [aspirate] which tends to appear where it really shouldn’t and fails to appear where it should. The misuse of the aspirate dates back to the first century of the Common Era. The Roman poet Martial devoted one of his epigrams to misused aspirates, but enough of that stuff.) Technically the form you have (Thusi) is an Ablative of Cause and is translated “from a cough”. As a cause of death in children, more often than not, it was used to describe not just a generic cough but had the specific meaning of whooping cough (pertussis). Whooping cough was an infectious disease which plagued children, most commonly between the ages of one and five. It was uncommon after age ten. If Jakub’s daughter was a child, you can be confident that she died of whooping cough rather than just a generic cough.

I hope this explanation helps you.

Dave
jmcenaney

Replies: 56

Post Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:20 pm      Post subject:

Hi, Dave.

This might be a tricky one. I believe this is the marriage record for Joseph Pawlaczyk and Josepha Pyssa. From what I gather, Josepha was a widow and her previous married name was Wachowiak. Her parents were Matthias Pyssa and Marianna Marysiak. Joseph's parents were Jacobus Pawlaczyk and Catharina Robakowska. I see a lot of those words in there but would love to know what else it might say. It is entry #16.

Thank you!
Jaime

Pyssa-Pawlak marriage_ORIG_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.92 MB

Pyssa-Pawlak marriage_ORIG_2.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:58 pm      Post subject:

jmcenaney wrote:
Hi, Dave.

This might be a tricky one. I believe this is the marriage record for Joseph Pawlaczyk and Josepha Pyssa. From what I gather, Josepha was a widow and her previous married name was Wachowiak. Her parents were Matthias Pyssa and Marianna Marysiak. Joseph's parents were Jacobus Pawlaczyk and Catharina Robakowska. I see a lot of those words in there but would love to know what else it might say. It is entry #16.

Thank you!
Jaime

Hi Jaime,

The marriage record is straightforward and normal. Only some of the vocabulary used is somewhat unusual—not that the words are obscure, but they are not ordinarily found in such records. The name of the village where the couple resided, Bąblin Hubki, is no longer found on contemporary maps. Since it was not found in the late 19th Century Słownik geograficzny (The Geographical Dictionary of Poland), it must have ceased to exist during the 4th quarter of the 19th Century. The village of Bąblin where the bride was born still exists today. Villages sometimes had “colonies” or offshoots which later were absorbed into either the parent village or another nearby village. Perhaps that was the case in this instance. I’m not certain of the spelling in the record of the birthplace of the groom, but that is my best reading of the letters. The bride most likely needed judicial consent either because of her legal relationship to the major landholder of the area or because of some aspect of the status of her first husband. I translated the given names of the individuals in the record into their Polish form. If you have not seen my list of Latin names with their Polish & English versions, let me know and I’ll be happy to post it for you.

A really minor point is that the dates of the announcements of the banns are given in terms of the Roman Catholic liturgical calendar in use at that time. (The same calendar was in use until the late 1960s after the reforms of the Second Vatican Council.) Currently the Sundays after Pentecost are named as Sundays in Ordinary Time. If by some chance you are curious about those dates you can figure them out by counting the Sundays after the octave of Pentecost (Trinity Sunday, the Sunday immediately following Pentecost Sunday). Pentecost in 1868 fell on Sunday, May 31 and Trinity Sunday fell on June 7. I’m not sure what value that detail would add to your research. The wedding itself took place on Monday, August 31. Everything else should be self-explanatory. BTW The bride’s first marriage was to Jakub Wachowiak which took place in Oborniki (1860 #28).

The translation follows.

Wishing you continued success,

Dave

Col. 1: Numerus = Number (for the year):16
Col. 2: Annus et Dies Copulationis = Year and Day of the Marriage: 31 August 1868
Col. 3: Nomen Scerdotis Copulantis = Name of the Priest Marrying (the Couple): the same
Col. 4: Nomen et Cognomen Copulatorum, locus habitationis, conditio et professio et utrum copulatio in ecclesia vel in aedibus privatis subsecuta = The first and surnames of those marrying, (their) place of residence, condition/status/occupation and profession and whether the marriage followed in a church or in private building: Bąblin Hubki: Józef Pawlaczyk, son of the legitimate marriage of Jakub Pawlaczyk and Katarzyna Robakowski, born in Mekorowo(?), residing in Bąblin Hubki and Józefa Wachowiak, daughter of the legitimate marriage of Maciej Pyssa and Maryanna Marysiak, born in Bąblin, residing in Bąblin Hubki
Col. 5: Utrum in matrimonio jam vixere nec non utrum sub tutela parentum vel tutorum adhoc existant = Whether they (i.e. the contracting parties) have already lived in marriage (i.e. whether one or both had been married previously) or if not whether to this point they lived under the charge of their parents or guardians: bachelor and widow
Col. 6: Aetas = Age
Col. 6a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: 25
Col. 6b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: 28
Col. 7: Religio = Religion
Col. 7a: Sponsi = Of the Groom: Catholic
Col. 7b: Sponsae = Of the Bride: Catholic
Col. 8: Consensus Parentum vel Tutorum = The Consent of the Parents or the Guardians: Judicial consent on the part of the bride
Col. 9: Proclamatio Banorum = Announcement of the Banns: The 9th, 10th, & 11th Sundays after Pentecost
Col. 10: Dispensatio a proclamatione = Dispensation from announcement/announcements (of the banns): None
Col. 11: Testes = Witnesses: (Runs into Col. 12) Andrzej Pawlak, day laborer (individual who works for a daily wage) from Bąblin Hubki (& Andrzej Hope, day laborer (individual who works for a daily wage) from Parkowo
Col. 12: Adnotationes = Notations:
jmcenaney

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:54 pm      Post subject:

I appreciate the context and insights. Thank you!
efc3011

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:48 pm      Post subject: Jacobi Mamczur(Manczur) Huta Stara

Thank you, Dave, for your translation of Shusi/Thussi. Appreciate it. Root word of Robitussin! Smile
I see you live in Michigan City, IN. My grandparents (Mamczurs) lived there at 1409 Manhattan Street, between 1910 and 1920.

Elaine
Send e-mail
Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:01 am      Post subject: Marriage Translation

I would really appreciate help with the translation of this Marriage record of my 4xGGP's Daniel Tobiasz & Antonina Wagner from Village of Moszkow in the Parish of Warez.

Thank you

Kurt

1822.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  618.72 KB

1822.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:09 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Translation

Kurt1322 wrote:
I would really appreciate help with the translation of this Marriage record of my 4xGGP's Daniel Tobiasz & Antonina Wagner from Village of Moszkow in the Parish of Warez.

Thank you

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

The marriage record is actually much shorter than it appears. The entry which begins “Productum in Visitatione and ends with the fancy signature is not part of the marriage record. It is a statement that the marriage register was reviewed during a pastoral visitation on 31 July, 1821 and the priest who was the pastoral signed off in 1822. This entry has no bearing on the marriage record and is simply a statement that the ecclesiastical and civil examination of the parish registers had taken place. It was just an administrative entry. Either the parish was not large or few marriages (only one, that of your ancestors) took place there between 1819 and July of 1821. The record only contains minimal information about the bride and the groom.

I hope that what little info is contained in the record is helpful for you.

Dave

Major Division #1
Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of the wedding): 26 November, 1820

Major Division #2: SPONSUS = GROOM
Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 39
NOMEN = NAME: The upright* Daniel Tobasz
Religio = Religion
Catholica = Catholic: Checked
Aut alia = Or other: Blank
Aetas = Age: 24
Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Viduus = Widower: Blank

Major Division #3: SPONSA = BRIDE
NOMEN = NAME: Antonina Wagnerowna** = Wagner
Religio = Religion
Aetas = Age: 18
Caelebs = Maiden: Checked
Vidua = Widow: Blank

Major Division #4: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Pan*** Ludwik Don(?)icht, of the imperial office of (illegible word—handwriting too cramped and faded) (&) Pan*** Piotr K?w???wicz. scribe/clerk of the Pan*** of Warez

Final entry: With the consent of the Pan*** of Warez and the father, the sub-tenant. The curate of the place who (is named) above ratified**** (the marriage). [This is where the marriage record ends.]

Notes: *honestus/upright: an adjective used to describe an individual as a peasant.
**-owna: feminine suffix for a single woman which in this case describes her as “the daughter og Wagner
***Dominus/Lord/Pan: Title indicating the noble status of an individual. There were various degrees of noble status which here centered on land ownership or occupation. The two witnesses were nobles without real property. The first worked in the illegible imperial office and the second worked for a noble as a scribe/clerk. The Pan of Warez was the owner of Warez. One can title him as the Lord or the Pan of Warez but the title is awkward. The understanding is that he owned or held the lease for the village and its estate, a concept which is not easy to express in one word in English.
****The function of the priest was to ratify/bless/witness the marriage vows of the couple.
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:46 am      Post subject: Latin Record Translation

G'day Dave

I have these records for translation please.

Katarzyna Lawinski - Death record - last record in July.
Walenty Kordylas - marriage record - Record 10 sits between record 11 & record 12.
Grzegorz Sobolewski - Death record - this appears to be register - it is record 47 on the right hand page.

Thanks

Ted

Death Register Grzegorz Sobolewski - 1792 record 47 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.03 MB

Death Register Grzegorz Sobolewski - 1792 record 47 (2).jpg

Marriage Walenty Kordylas - record 10 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB

Marriage Walenty Kordylas - record 10 (2).jpg

Death Katarzyna Lawinski - July 1796 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.34 MB

Death Katarzyna Lawinski - July 1796 (2).jpg

Kurt1322

Replies: 66

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am      Post subject: Marriage Translation

I would very much appreciate help with the fine details of this Marriage record. I am trying to get any clues to the origin of the Tobiasz Family.

Thank you,

Kurt

1828-Joseph Tobiasz & Cecilia Hauk Marriage_Moszkow-Warez.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  670.07 KB

1828-Joseph Tobiasz & Cecilia Hauk Marriage_Moszkow-Warez.jpg

jmcenaney

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:59 am      Post subject:

Hi, Dave.

I have another one to add to your stack. It's a marriage record for Adalbert Marysiak. It's the second to last entry. No rush on this. Thank you!
Jaime

marysiak.marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.21 MB

marysiak.marriage.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:04 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

I have these records for translation please.

Katarzyna Lawinski - Death record - last record in July.
Walenty Kordylas - marriage record - Record 10 sits between record 11 & record 12.
Grzegorz Sobolewski - Death record - this appears to be register - it is record 47 on the right hand page.

Thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Kindly post the links to the records which you posted so that it would be possible to increase the size of the text. Two of the three are too small to be legible as the images are currently attached. Also, since Koło is a town some of the places most likely have become part of the town so it would be helpful if you could inform me of the names of the villages where the individuals lived.

Thanks.

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Marriage Translation

Kurt1322 wrote:
I would very much appreciate help with the fine details of this Marriage record. I am trying to get any clues to the origin of the Tobiasz Family.

Thank you,

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I’m not sure whether or not my reading of the letters of all the proper personal and place names is correct. The spelling reflects my best reading of the letters.

I hope you find the translation useful.

Dave

The Translation:

Top of Entry: The Year 1827 is empty

Major Division #1
Dies et Mensis = Day & Month (of the wedding): 23 November, 1828
Notation in Col. Michał Nałgiz,the pastor of Moszkow, blessed (the marriage)
Major Division #2: SPONSUS = GROOM
Numerus Domus = Number of the House: 37
NOMEN = NAME: Józef Tobiasz, a weaver, born in Dubienka, the son of Samuel, guard/caretaker at the customs/tax office, and of Elżbieta Nimber(?)
Religio = Religion
Aetas = Age: 24
Caelebs = Bachelor: Checked
Viduus = Widower: Blank

Major Division #3: SPONSA = BRIDE
NOMEN = NAME: Cecylia Haukenowna*, born in Dymska, the daughter of the legitimate marriage of Mikołaj Hauke, guard/caretaker at the customs/tax office, already deceased, and of the living Maryanna Brodmanska
Religio = Religion
Aetas = Age: Completed 14
Caelebs = Maiden: Checked
Vidua = Widow: Blank

Major Division #4: TESTES et eorum Conditio = WITNESSES and their status/ condition of life/occupation: Daniel Tobias, a craftsman from Hobenzol(?) (&) Feliks Brodmanski, an ordinary soldier in the Hohenzoller(?) Legion

Final entry: Consent for the underage spouses from their respective Lords/Panowie** dated 3 & 6 November, 1828, found in the parish acts under Number 24/1828

Notes: *The feminine suffix -nowna describe the maiden as the daughter of Hauke.
**Panowie: The Nominative Plural of Pan.

Last edited by dnowicki on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 196, 197, 198 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 197 of 274

Jump to: