PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:21 am      Post subject: Help with Kutoloski surname

I am looking for records in Poland pertaining to my paternal grandfather, John Kutolowski (Kutolski, Katoloski) born 12/31/1870 in Walka Warsaw Poland. This information was from his death certificate in Pennsylvania. He Immigrated to the US in 1890 according to US census records. He may have also had a brother named Antonio Kutolski born in 1862 who also immigrated to the US. I have tried several search engines and the surname doesn't come up. Any idea how I can determine what the oroginal surname was? I am positive it was changed multiple times once they lived in PA. I would also like to find my relatives still living in Poland
Thanks for any help/direction (PS - I can't read Polish)
Magroski49
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 1762

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:58 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Kutoloski surname

kkutoloski wrote:
I am looking for records in Poland pertaining to my paternal grandfather, John Kutolowski (Kutolski, Katoloski) born 12/31/1870 in Walka Warsaw Poland. This information was from his death certificate in Pennsylvania. He Immigrated to the US in 1890 according to US census records. He may have also had a brother named Antonio Kutolski born in 1862 who also immigrated to the US. I have tried several search engines and the surname doesn't come up. Any idea how I can determine what the oroginal surname was? I am positive it was changed multiple times once they lived in PA. I would also like to find my relatives still living in Poland

I have found two references for him, both arrivals at Ellis Island in 1899.
One as Francis Kutolowski, the other as Francuzek Kutolowski.
Ship H.H. Meier and Westernaland, respectively.
Wulka and Wolka, respectively.

Francuzek is the misspelling of Franciszek = Franz = Frank
Wulka is how Wólka sounds.

Two Wólka around Warsaw:
one in powiat legieninski, gmina Nieporet
other in powial woliminski, gmina Tluszcz.

I will later try to find the parish for these villages.
Kutołowski is the polish spelling.

Pachocka (feminine) and Pachocki (masculine) are the polish spellings.
If you Wiktoria's parents' names you can look for their marriage in Project Poznan (page in english in http://poznan-project.psnc.pl/

Gilberto
Send e-mail
kkutoloski

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:46 pm      Post subject:

Thank you so much! I had found the record for Frank, however he states his name as John. I searched under Johann etc, but could not find a John Kutolowski. I don't know Wiktoria's parents names (can't even find her death certificate yet) but am still searching. I will check out the website. Thanks again for the tips!!
Magroski49

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:58 pm      Post subject:

kkutoloski wrote:
Thank you so much! I had found the record for Frank, however he states his name as John. I searched under Johann etc, but could not find a John Kutolowski. I don't know Wiktoria's parents names (can't even find her death certificate yet) but am still searching. I will check out the website. Thanks again for the tips!!

That Frank declared he was going to meet Jan Baranski. I have found a Jan Baranski entry and he was from Strzalkowo, a place about two miles from a Wólka. However, this Wolka is in wielkopolskie province (Warszawa is in mazowieckie, however I don't know what your sorce about "Walka" is). Just to add more tips, this Wolka is not that far from Sokolniki, where a bunch of Pachocki lived. Just coincidences?

Ancestry.com has two entries for Jan Kutolowski, but I don't have a subscription. It seems to me these two entries refer to the same Jan (one is the German manifest, the other is the American one).

Regards,
Gilberto

kutolowski.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.21 KB
 Viewed:  6293 Time(s)

kutolowski.JPG

Send e-mail
kkutoloski

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:16 pm      Post subject:

The source for Wolka was from John Kutolowski's death certificate.

I have subsequently found Viktorias parents (from her death certificate says she was born in Posan? Poland) - John Piechocki and Magdelana (Jagodski) Piechocka. I have found their crossing and that they lived in Buffalo NY. I have not found John or Magdelana's death certificates or parents names yet.

It appears Viktoria was young when she came over so I suspect John and she were married in the US (possibly NY)
Magroski49

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:17 pm      Post subject:

kkutoloski wrote:
The source for Wolka was from John Kutolowski's death certificate.

I have subsequently found Viktorias parents (from her death certificate says she was born in Posan? Poland) - John Piechocki and Magdelana (Jagodski) Piechocka. I have found their crossing and that they lived in Buffalo NY. I have not found John or Magdelana's death certificates or parents names yet.

It appears Viktoria was young when she came over so I suspect John and she were married in the US (possibly NY)

Look at this: (have in mind tha Posen/Poznan was also the name of the province)

Catholic parish Czerniejewo [Schwarzenau], entry 9 / 1882

Joannes Piechocki (30 years old) 100%
Magdalena Jagodzińska (26 years old)

Civil registry Czerniejewo [Schwarzenau], entry 33 / 1882

Johann Piechocki (born 1852) 100%
father: Joseph Piechocki , mother: Marie Józwiak
Magdalena Jagodzińska (born 1856)
father: Matthias Jagodziński , mother: Viktoria Olynska

civil rec. # 33 right side:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/1844/0/3/26/skan/full/6O7d7D7YSQWndz0jjsWv1w
continued on:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/53/1844/0/3/26/skan/full/PrF2yq5HtYcN5u02AZGd3Q

See in the map attached the location of Czerniejewo and that Wólka, where Frank Kutolowski came from.

wolka.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.86 KB
 Viewed:  6293 Time(s)

wolka.JPG

Send e-mail
kkutoloski

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:23 pm      Post subject:

Wow! That's fantastic!! Are the civil record websites in Polish? It would be great to see if I had relatives still there ( I suspect I do!)
I'll keep looking into Frank. I found records fitting the right time frame for a Johannes Katlowski who immigrated to NY and had a son John Jr.
Name: Joannes Jacobus Katlowski
Baptism Date: 14 cze 1845 (14 Jun 1845)
Baptism Place: Niskowa, Niskowa, Kraków, Poland
House Number: 10
Page Number: 45
Father: Andreas Katlowski
Mother: Catharina Zanislau
FHL Film Number: 1957729

Not sure if I'm heading down the wrong path. Thanks again for the leads!!
Magroski49

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:44 am      Post subject:

kkutoloski wrote:
Are the civil record websites in Polish? It would be great to see if I had relatives still there ( I suspect I do!)

The main page is also presented in English. Some keywords are urodzen (births), malzenstwa or slub (marriages) and zgonow or zmarl (deaths). These records are in german. In birth records the name of the child is at the bottom; in marriage records, groom's name are preceded by 1. and bride's names by 2. Sometimes is a bit tricky to decipher the penmanship.
Check only those with digital copies:
http://szukajwarchiwach.pl/search?q=czerniejewo%20XTYPEro%3Azesp%20XSKANro%3At&order=

Gilberto
Send e-mail
AdamKutolowski

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:12 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Kutoloski surname

kkutoloski wrote:

Please write me an email [email protected]
Magroski49

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:30 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Kutoloski surname

AdamKutolowski wrote:
kkutoloski wrote:

Adam
I think it si them. The name of the village matches.
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=02kp&rid=B&search_lastname=kutolowski&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=1867&to_date=1870&exac=1
Send e-mail
AdamKutolowski

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:34 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Kutoloski surname

Magroski49 wrote:
AdamKutolowski wrote:
kkutoloski wrote:

Adam
I think it si them. The name of the village matches.
https://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=gt&lang=pol&bdm=B&w=02kp&rid=B&search_lastname=kutolowski&search_name=&search_lastname2=&search_name2=&from_date=1867&to_date=1870&exac=1

Thanks, but i would like to talk with him. Maybe he has more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: