PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:59 pm      Post subject: Re: Article: "Remote" research in Polish State Arc

Hi,

I am new to the genealogy business and would appreciate any help I can get.

I am trying to get some informatoin about my grandfather of whom I don't have much information: All I know is that he lived in Tarnopol and that he was married with 2 kids (wife and children murdered during WWII). I don't have the name of the wife and chidren... I don't even have his exact date of birth Sad

Any suggestions how to approach this?

Many thanks,
Eyal
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1515

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:01 am      Post subject:

Welcome to the Forum Eyal,

If you have surname, approximate date of birth and know religion of your grandfather it is enough to start your research. In Civil Records Office in Warsaw there are registers from Tarnopol from the beginning of the 20th until almost the beginning of WWII where you could probably find information about your grandfather birth, marriage and his children born in Tarnopol.

Click here: http://tinyurl.com/day5cf to see details about the records. If you click on 'more' you will be directed to site where you will find address details, including e-mail, of the Civil Records Office (Urzad Stanu Cywilnego).

Good luck!
Send e-mail
eyal.harel

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:06 am      Post subject:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Although in Polish, I struggled with a dictionary and found the relevant office to approach. BTW, this search does not include names, right?
I sent them an email - in English, but than I was wondering if I will ever receive an answer...
What do you think?
Is there any official/non official online data base where I can find the information, or do I have to go through the whole procedure with these guys?

Thanks,
Eyal
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:00 am      Post subject:

eyal.harel wrote:
this search does not include names, right?

If you are asking about functionality of State Archives database: http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en the answer is 'yes, it does not include names'. You can only search by name of parish to learn if there are any records in Polish State Archives or Civil Records Offices resources for given parish available. These records are accessible on the spot in Archives branches only in form of original books or on microfilms. However, you can always ask for research or order copy of original record. I recommend you to look at James about his experience in dealing with Archives in Poland (he still continues this "adventure" Smile) : http://polishorigins.com/document/archives_practical_hints

eyal.harel wrote:
I sent them an email - in English, but than I was wondering if I will ever receive an answer...
What do you think?
Is there any official/non official online data base where I can find the information, or do I have to go through the whole procedure with these guys?

I cannot guarantee you will ever receive any answer... There are different rules about dealing with inquirer in different Archives' branches and not all speak English (I should rather say only few speak). And eventually everything depends on clerk who receives your inquiry, how (if) he or she will respond to it.
There is no central, official database similar to ellisisland.org or ancestry.com . There are a few initiatives, projects of databases realized independently by different groups like http://www.przodkowie.com/metryki/ , http://bindweed.man.poznan.pl/posen/search.php or http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/ . Unfortunately, these databases cover only very small fraction of all records available for search.

I know it doesn't sound too optimistically but that's reality now. The only thing I can advise you is to wait for reply from Civil Records Office. If you don't receive any answer in a month, tell us about it here. We will try to think about other ways.
Send e-mail
eyal.harel

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:04 am      Post subject:

Ok, so if I understand correctly, there wasn't much point in me sending them an email in English. Sad
I will have to send a letter in Polish to the relevant Archive, which makes things really complicated for me...
James does mention he met someone who was helpful.
Are there people who would do this on my behalf as a service for a fee? Any idea what to expect?
Zenon

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:25 am      Post subject:

The only rule is there are no clear rules applying to processes in all Archives or other institutions (like Civil Records Office). Each institution has its own procedure which differs in details, and these details decide about final success. This is my experience.

I would suggest to wait for reply from the institution you contacted. Maybe they reply, even in English.

Yes, I can find someone who will assist you in this procedure and even would visit archives, if necessary.
Send e-mail
eyal.harel

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:36 am      Post subject:

Fantastic! Thanks for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: