PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:09 pm      Post subject: Help with Grzesiak surname

Hey guys, great forum!

Been trying to track my paternal Polish grandfather's records for a while now, very little luck. He passed away when my father was very young so have little to no information.

What I found on a English website are these details.

Wojcieck Grzesiak, born circa 1916. Could it be a misspelling of 'Wojciech'? Left Poland to the UK in 1940's. Died aged 48.

Marriage certificate lists him as 'Wajielek' Grzesiak however I'm certain this is completely wrong and his name is indeed Wojciech/Wojcieck.

Searched around Polish sites to no avail but I'm desperate for some more information. Would appreciate your help!

James.
katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:23 am      Post subject: Re: Help with Grzesiak surname

JGrz wrote:
Hey guys, great forum!

Been trying to track my paternal Polish grandfather's records for a while now, very little luck. He passed away when my father was very young so have little to no information.

What I found on a English website are these details.

Wojcieck Grzesiak, born circa 1916. Could it be a misspelling of 'Wojciech'? Left Poland to the UK in 1940's. Died aged 48.

Marriage certificate lists him as 'Wajielek' Grzesiak however I'm certain this is completely wrong and his name is indeed Wojciech/Wojcieck.

Searched around Polish sites to no avail but I'm desperate for some more information. Would appreciate your help!

James.

Hello James,
Welcome to PolishOrigins' Forum!
I am afraid that you need to have more details to start successful research in Poland.
Grzesiak is a very common surname, please find the distribution map: https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Grzesiak
The best starting point is to find the names of Wojciech's parents or his birthplace. Does the marriage record or death record include some of this information? Do you have any military record? It also could be helpful.

With greetings from Poland,
Katarzyna
JGrz

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:10 pm      Post subject:

Hi Katarzyna, thanks for your reply.

The marriage certificate was poor, very little detail and also misspelt his name. The death record indicates his year of birth (circa 1916) and age of death and place of burial, unfortunately that's it. I've extensively tried to track his birth certificate and accurate DOB to no avail.

Unfortunately I have no military record but I know he did serve for Poland in WW2 and left for UK in the late 1940's. Do you have any other advice for me?

Appreciate your time,

Regards,

James.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: