PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 64

Post Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:04 pm      Post subject: 1873-'77 Ship Manifest Lubieszyn, Pomerania

I need some guidance finding ship manifests for Kaminski family from Lubieszyn, Pomerania between the years 1873 to 1877:
Joseph Kaminski laborer, (born 1830) and Elizabeth Lemka, spouse (1832-36)
Destination: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Send e-mail
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 am      Post subject: Re: 1873-'77 Ship Manifest Lubieszyn, Pomerania

skozewski wrote:
I need some guidance finding ship manifests for Kaminski family from Lubieszyn, Pomerania between the years 1873 to 1877:
Joseph Kaminski laborer, (born 1830) and Elizabeth Lemka, spouse (1832-36)
Destination: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Hi,
It presents some challenges, because of the timeframe that you are looking at.
Ellis Island did not open until 1892, so if they happened to come in through New York it would have been Castle Garden. However, there are many Atlantic ports to consider. Here is a good search tool that you can use:
https://stevemorse.org/ellis/free.html?firstkind=starts&FNM=&lastkind=starts&LNM=
Look at the drop-down menu for "Port" and you will see them listed, along with the years.
The other challenge is that the type of form that was used to collect passenger information changed over time. You have probably seen the later forms (say, post 1907 or so) that are two pages, and give information about where a passenger was headed, etc. However, your 1870s travellers will be on a one-page manifest which may give only the most basic information: name, sex, age and country of origin. For a name like Kaminski (that is to say, not a rare surname) it will be very difficult to know when you have found the right Joseph (it will likely use the Polish spelling Jozef). Your only hope, really, is that he and Elizabeth (Elzbieta) travelled together. So your task is to find a Jozef/Elzbieta pair whose ages are close to what you expect. If they happened to leave Europe via the port of Hamburg, you may find them on a Hamburg departure list and that could potentially give you the town from which they came.
To make it even harder, the indexes are famous for incorrectly spelling names, simply because the handwriting (and fading ink, sometimes) on the manifests makes it so hard to read correctly. Your Kaminski could be Kaminsky, Raminski, Kawiski, all kinds of things, because of handwriting.
Good luck in your search,
Sophia
skozewski

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:33 pm      Post subject: 1883 Ship Manifest - Joseph Kaminski

Thank you, Sophia, for the details....It's an ongoing project...will keep trying
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:31 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

You may already have this information.... I could not find the passenger list, but I did come across a family tree on Ancestry that had Jozef's place of birth as Garczyn. I found the parish books online at Family Search. Attached is the birth record for Jozef Kamienski and here is the link to the record and the books for the parish.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZL-V7XK?i=249&cat=298806

Good luck in your search,
Cynthia

1830 Jozef Kamienski birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.57 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1830 Jozef Kamienski birth.jpg

Send e-mail
skozewski

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:32 pm      Post subject: Kaminski - Garczyn Parish to Milwaukee

Cynthia

Thank you for doing the research. I did have the document and several others as Polish Origins (Aleksander, Project Manager) has been doing excellent research for us at the archives. That ship manifest might never be found, though.

Send e-mail
Henry211

Replies: 4

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 am      Post subject:

informative topic PolishOrigins Forum
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Other topics related to Poland and Polish roots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: