PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 1

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:05 am      Post subject: Prägien?

I've tried for several years to find the location of a Russian village which at one time was called Prägien. My 3rd great grandfather, Gabriel Iwan, has cited Prägien, Russland as his place of birth in approx 1775. He was of the Russian Orthodox confession.

Does anyone have any ideas of where this might be?

He lived at one point i Krakow, Poland, with his parents, who where farm workers there.
katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:29 am      Post subject: Re: Prägien?

beaschoder wrote:
I've tried for several years to find the location of a Russian village which at one time was called Prägien. My 3rd great grandfather, Gabriel Iwan, has cited Prägien, Russland as his place of birth in approx 1775. He was of the Russian Orthodox confession.

Does anyone have any ideas of where this might be?

He lived at one point i Krakow, Poland, with his parents, who where farm workers there.

Hello beaschoder,
welcome to our Forum!
I think that "Pragien" could be "Praga" - till the end of the 18th century it was a village near Warsaw, today it is a part of the city. This area was in the Russian partition, it could be the explanation of the word "Russland" in the name of Gabriel's birthplace. However Warsaw is located about 300 km from Kraków and it was very large distance for people living in the 18th century.
Could you please attach the document where "Prägien, Russland" is mentioned? Maybe I or other forum members would be able to find any clue looking at it.

Best regards,
Katarzyna
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: