PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Dr Eugenia Lewicki
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author

Replies: 25

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:35 am      Post subject: Dr Eugenia Lewicki

Hello fellow forum uses, I am trying to find details about my great grand parents who lived somewhere in Cherkasy.

Their names were Elizbeta and Cyryl Rogala Lewicki.

They had 8 children.

Dr Eugenia Lewicka

Michael Lewicki

Colonel Wilhelm Lewicki

Walerian Lewicki

Dr Wiktor Lewicki
Nikolaj Lewicki

and Konstantin Lewicki

Any assistance in helping My family fill in as many holes would be gratefully appreciated.
HCW

Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:42 am      Post subject: Rogala Lewicki's family origin

Sorry the above post should read.

Elzibeta and Cyryl Lewicki had 1 girl and 7 boys and Mikolaj Lewicki not Nikolai.
katarzyna_t
PolishOrigins Team

Replies: 82

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:21 am      Post subject: Re: Rogala Lewicki's family origin

HCW wrote:
Sorry the above post should read.

Elzibeta and Cyryl Lewicki had 1 girl and 7 boys and Mikolaj Lewicki not Nikolai.

Hello HCW,
welcome to our Forum!
Could you please provide more details about your ancestors, like dates of their births, marriage of Elżbieta and Cyryl, emigration etc.
Do you know from which area of Poland they came from? I found 4 villages named "Czerkasy" in the area of pre-war Poland, one in today's Poland, one in Belarus and two in Ukraine, please find a map: https://goo.gl/maps/QbpRm8CtQAYWcprYA

With greetings,
Katarzyna
HCW

Post Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:16 pm      Post subject: Hi Katarzyna

Thank you for your interest in my ancestors, my knowledge of Cyryl and Elzibeta history is limited however:

Eugenia was born in 1896 - died in 1931.

Wilhelm was born in 1898 - died in 1992

Michael was born in 1900 - died in 1975

Walerian was born in 1901 - died in 1989

Nikolaj was born in 1903 - died ??

Konstantin was born in 1905 - died ??

Wiktor was born in 1914 - died in 1940 Katyn.

Cherkasy has been linked to all siblings, water, and Crayfish farming.

That's all I really know except Dr Eugenia was murdered, as was Cyryl and Dr Wiktor.

Wilhelm fled to Kent England, Walerian fled to Ottowa, Canada and Michael, fled to Sydney Australia.

Thank you...HCW.
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 960

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:01 pm      Post subject:

Hello,

So, to begin, there is a whole Wiki page on Eugenia Lewicki written in Polish, but can be easily translated by copying and pasting into Google translate. The page indicates place of birth which is live linked to another page that gives details on Czerkasy:

https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenia_Lewicka

https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czerkasy

More to come,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:16 pm      Post subject:

Hello again,

Here are 3 immigration documents tracking Elzbieta Lewicki's travels from Poland to Australia by way of: Amsterdam, London, New York, San Francisco in 1947.

A long trip for a 71 year old woman!!

The immigration information upon arrival in NY has a lot of information on it, but my eyes aren't good enough to read some of the details - like her place of birth. Sophia, you are really good at deciphering tough documents, hopefully you can check it out.

It seems Elzbieta's last residence in Poland before immigrating was living with her niece in Nowy Miedzeszyn which is part of Warsaw. She is headed to her son, Michal in Australia via the USA. It also says she will be staying in San Francisco, so she probably flew from NY to SFO.

I also found a family tree in Ancestry.com managed by the Burke family that has all of your ancestors. Their tree indicates Elzbieta died in Australia in 1948.

More to come,
Cynthia

1947 Elzbieta immig 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  361.18 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1947 Elzbieta immig 3.jpg

1947 Elzbieta immig 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  348.67 KB

1947 Elzbieta immig 2.jpg

1947 Elzbieta immig 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.51 KB

1947 Elzbieta immig 1.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:13 pm      Post subject:

Hello again,

Here is a US - Canada border crossing for Walerian Lewicki. He was going to NY to visit his foster sister Zofia Malecka. Again, a lot of details in the document.

More to come,
Cynthia

8C40727A-73CA-4BCC-B23C-68115BF2DC08.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  688.61 KB

8C40727A-73CA-4BCC-B23C-68115BF2DC08.jpeg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:42 pm      Post subject:

Here is a 1948 passenger list to Canada for Walerian Lewicki.

Best,
Cynthia

7F77CEE7-3BA4-4E5B-B33D-4CA578B21110.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  909.84 KB

7F77CEE7-3BA4-4E5B-B33D-4CA578B21110.jpeg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:18 pm      Post subject:

You probably have this, but just in case you don’t- a picture of Wiktor Lewicki and some details

https://timenote.info/pl/Wiktor-Lewicki

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:26 pm      Post subject:

You probably already have this too - but just in case - picture and information on Wilhelm Lewicki

https://wolynskabrygadakaw.wixsite.com/brygada/wilhelm-rogala-lewicki

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
HCW

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:40 am      Post subject:

Wow Cynthia you've been busy.

The "Burke" reference you give those managing a family tree on Ancestry has me confused, that wouldn't be "Burns" possibly.

I can't read where Elzibeta was born, however from a family succession perspective where Cyryl was born and or resided when he had his family is the big mystery.

I have been told that there are 4 Cherkasy's which does cloud the issue somewhat, however there must be some definitive location where the Lewicki's grew up.

Bit like for instance is someone being from Sydney, Sydney is a big city with lots of suburbs, I'm not sure if Cherkasy is the same.

I also know that either Mikolaj or Konstantin was a pilot or died of Scarlet fever at quite a young age.

My Grand father Michael was tramatized by what transpired in Poland prior to and post wars and equally as troubled by the fate of his family.

My parents tried and asked my Grand Father to put his life memoirs on tape, but no joy, too much pain in his memory.

Thank you Cynthia, you are awesome.
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:01 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello again,

Here are 3 immigration documents tracking Elzbieta Lewicki's travels from Poland to Australia by way of: Amsterdam, London, New York, San Francisco in 1947.

A long trip for a 71 year old woman!!

The immigration information upon arrival in NY has a lot of information on it, but my eyes aren't good enough to read some of the details - like her place of birth. Sophia, you are really good at deciphering tough documents, hopefully you can check it out.

It seems Elzbieta's last residence in Poland before immigrating was living with her niece in Nowy Miedzeszyn which is part of Warsaw. She is headed to her son, Michal in Australia via the USA. It also says she will be staying in San Francisco, so she probably flew from NY to SFO.

I also found a family tree in Ancestry.com managed by the Burke family that has all of your ancestors. Their tree indicates Elzbieta died in Australia in 1948.

More to come,
Cynthia

G'day HCW
Just to add further Elzbieta died on 17/05/1948 and her Death is registered in BDM NSW as in the attached, Michael died on 31/05/1975, Death Notice appears in the Sydney Morning Herald of 02/06/1975 and is also registered with BDM NSW.
Cheers
TedMack

PS. Attached are some records held in the Australian National Archives which may assist

Lewicki 2.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Lewicki 2.pdf
 Filesize:  103.06 KB
 Downloaded:  322 Time(s)

Lewicki.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Lewicki.pdf
 Filesize:  57.67 KB
 Downloaded:  305 Time(s)

Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:59 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:

Hi Cynthia,
Thanks for the challenge! It is one thing to read bad handwriting, and quite another to read blurry type, isn't it? I will let you know if I can figure out what it says for her place of birth. Whatever it is, it is not the same place as given by Walery on his entry at Buffalo (he seems to be saying Kanczuga, although it is spelled incorrectly).
If I can decipher Elzbieta's place of origin, I will post again.
Sophia
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:17 am      Post subject:

mcdonald0517 wrote:
Hello,

So, to begin, there is a whole Wiki page on Eugenia Lewicki written in Polish, but can be easily translated by copying and pasting into Google translate. The page indicates place of birth which is live linked to another page that gives details on Czerkasy:

https://pl.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenia_Lewicka

More to come,
Cynthia

Hi HCW,

As to location of the family in Poland, you are correct - our ancestors often gave the name of the district instead of the specific village. So, it will take a bit of sleuthing to find it based on clues. We know the Cherkasy of your family is in Ukraine per the article about Eugenia see above previous post. It is the name of a town as well as a district. Here is some information about the location in modern times:

I would suggest looking on a map of the area and seeing if any villages come close to sounding like what Walerian wrote in his border crossing document and what Elzbieta wrote as her place of birth on her immigration document in NY.

An alternative would be to find Michals full marriage record or his naturalization record in Australia. Either of them may have his specific location of birth.

I am sure other members will also have suggestions.

Best,
Cynthia

Last edited by mcdonald0517 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:29 am      Post subject:

Hi HCW,

Oops, you are correct - the tree is Burns - not Burke. That’s what I get for trusting my memory when composing the reply

Best,
Cynthia Smile
Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Villages and towns of our ancestors' origins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Page 1 of 3

Jump to: