PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:54 am      Post subject: Alternate forms of the surname Spiżarny?

I'm finding discrepancies tracing the surname Spiżarny over the border from the Łomża area of Poland into the Grodno area of Belarus. In 19th century Poland I'm seeing the surname Spiżarny sometimes alternately spelled Szpiżarny, Spizarniak, and Spizarski. But in former 18th century Polish-Lithuanian territories (now Belarus) I'm instead seeing it spelled Spiżarnia, Szpiżarnia, and Szpiżarnianka . And in one case it appears to be written "z Pizarnów". But I realize those are all obviously the same name.

But in one of the main parishes where I'm expecting to find it, I'm not finding anything, none of those spellings. The closest spellings I'm getting are Pisarzewicz and Piszkarzewicz.

And in some other nearby parishes, I'm seeing even more remote spellings like Pisarski, Pisarek, Pisarowna. And maybe Piszkow, Pyszkowna.

Could any of these really be possible alternate spellings of Spiżarny? Or am I going way off track?

(By the way, I also have a few erratic records where instead names like Hauryła, Saczewko, and Saczywko are used in place of Spiżarny. I'm not sure why.)
starshadow
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 305

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:19 pm      Post subject:

Here's an example of how the surname Spiżarny appears instead as "z Pizarnów" in a 1798 baptism from Indura parish Belarus. The "z" is repeated in some of the other entries on the same page (like the entry above it), but not all of them.

Would it have been such a simple thing for them to add or subtract an "S" from a name like Spiżarny? I'm just wondering why Spiżarny is such a rare name in Poland and former Polish-Lithuanian territories. Could it have come from a surname like "Pisarski", which is far more popular?

indura-1798-.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  410.23 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

indura-1798-.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Origins of surnames All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: