PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:34 pm      Post subject: Identity Card - issuing authorities - 1923

I have an uncle who as a child (age two) traveled to Poland with his mother to her parents residence.
The uncle remained in Poland until the age of 16 (1923) when he applied for a United States passport. According to the Identifying Documents section of the passport application the following is noted. "Identity Card issued by Community Authorities at Gluchow, Poland and certified by Staroata at Lancut, Poland."

Does anyone know who the authorities are that issued and certified the Identity Card?

Is there a postal address available for these authorities?

I would like to contact these authorities for possible further information on my uncle and great-grandfather location and possible family information.

Thank you,
Darryl Zajac
marcelproust
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 4188

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:58 pm      Post subject: Re: Identity Card - issuing authorities - 1923

dfzajac wrote:
I have an uncle who as a child (age two) traveled to Poland with his mother to her parents residence.
The uncle remained in Poland until the age of 16 (1923) when he applied for a United States passport. According to the Identifying Documents section of the passport application the following is noted. "Identity Card issued by Community Authorities at Gluchow, Poland and certified by Staroata at Lancut, Poland."

Does anyone know who the authorities are that issued and certified the Identity Card?

I would like to contact these authorities for possible further information on my uncle and great-grandfather location and possible family information.

Thank you,
Darryl Zajac

What was your uncle's name?

Can You please show Us the documents You mentioned?
Was uncle born in Poland? Do you know his parents' names?

I think You should write an email to the State Archives of Rzeszów: [email protected]

Głuchów belonged to the romancatholic parish of Łańcut.
It seems to me that the documents from those years, if they are preserved, will be stored in the archives.

PAYPAL: [email protected]
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1023

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:09 am      Post subject: Re: Identity Card - issuing authorities - 1923

dfzajac wrote:

Thank you,
Darryl Zajac

Hi Darryl,
I would like to add one little detail to the information that Marcelproust has given you.
In the notation you quoted above, you wrote the word "Staroata" but I expect that the word is actually "Starosta." A Starosta is a local administrative official.
Here is a link to the current office of the Starosta of the Powiat of Lancut:
https://www.powiatlancut.pl/urzad/wydzialy-starostwa-/
As for documents from 1923, I think you should follow Marcel's advice.
Best of luck in your research,
Sophia
dfzajac

Replies: 17

Post Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:29 pm      Post subject: Identity Card - issuing authorities - 1923

Marcel and Sophia:
Thank you for your reply and the research leads you have provided. That is appreciated.

Marcel:
In reply to your questions:
My uncle’s name is Antoni J. Zdeb. He was born in Chicago, Illinois on 23 June 1907 and baptized at Holy Innocents Catholic Church, Chicago, Illinois. His parents were Michal Zdeb from Niemadowka, Poland and Josepha Zajac from Gluchow, Poland who were married in 1906 in Chicago, Illinois.

Ancestry notes a 1908 return voyage of Josepha Zajac Zdeb from Poland to the United States.
I then found the 1923 German and United States ship manifests for Antoni Zdeb’s return trip from Gluchow, Poland via Hamburg on 18 Sep 1923 to New York arriving on 28 Sep 1923 aboard the SS RESOLUTE. Additional ship manifest data noted that Antoni resided with Michal Zajac (his grandfather) in Gluchow and was to travel via Chicago, Illinois to his parent’s residence in Peru, Illinois. The ship manifests also referenced the United States passport number 320841 which appears on the attached scans of the passport application.

Michal Zajac and Marianne Karpel of Gluchow, Poland are the grand parents of Antoni Zdeb and are also my great-grand parents. Josepha Zajac Zdeb, the mother of Antoni is a sister of my grand-father John Michael Zajac. This information I have been able to confirm from U.S. sources.

Scan0002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  566.38 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Scan0002.jpg

Scan0001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  555.16 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Scan0001.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research Resources, Tools & Tips All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: