PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 2

Post Posted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:29 am      Post subject: Jendrzejewski 1840 -1850

Hi,

I have no idea where to start - my ancestory was Stanislas Jendrzejewski born in Poland 1806.

He moved to Southwark London around 1840 , although I can not find any immigration paper or listing on a ship.

Stanislas profession is listed as an Engineer

On his Marriage Certificate his father is listed as Benedict Jendrzejewski / Occupation - Gent.

I would like to find out where is Poland Stanislas is from and why he decided to leave poland for England.

can anyone help me with this limited information ?

Regards

Steph
Zenon
PolishOrigins Team Leader

Replies: 1465

Post Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:21 am      Post subject:

Hi Steph,

I checked a few sources I have access to in search of Jendrzejewski noble family. Unfortunately, there are no mentions neither about Benedykt or Stanisław Jendrzejewski.

The only hints for further research I can give you based on the limited information you provided are:

- Polish spelling of your ancestors given names are: Stanisław (Latin - Stanislaus) and Benedykt.

- Because Stanisław was well educated (engineer) and his father Benedykt was described as Gent they were most probably of noble origin.

- Using our PolishOrigins Databases tool: http://polishorigins.com/databases/ I found this page: http://www.ornatowski.com/index/herbarzwolynski.htm where there are listed surnames of noble families from Wołyń (or Volhynia), region in today's Ukraine territory (wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volhynia ). Among listed surnames there are 7 Jendrzejewskis born in the first half of 19th century, and 2 Jendrzejowskis.

- Variation of Jendrzejewski surname may be: Jędrzejewski, Jędrzejowski, Jendrzejowski.

- Concentration of people bearing Jendrzejwski and Jędrzejewski surname today is north and central part of Poland, click here for maps of distribution of Jendrzejewskis: http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/jendrzejewski.html and Jędrzejewskis: http://www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/kompletny/j%25C4%2599drzejewski.html

- In the book 'Spis Szlachty Polskiej' (Register of Polish Nobility) published in 1887 in Lwow there are listed two Jędrzejowski families and one Jendrzejowski family. One Jędrzejowski, coat of arms Jastrzębiec, is from eastern part of Poland (today Belarus or Ukraine), the second Jędrzejowski coat of arms Nałęcz, is from Jędrzejów in Lublin region. Jendrzejowski (no coat of arms) is from Bełżec region (south of Zamość).

In the whole 1800s Poland was under partitions of Prussia, Russia and Austria. Possible reason of emigration to London by noblemen at the beginning of 19th century was active resistance against invaders and escape from danger of being punished for that (imprisoned or even killed).

If you only found any clues from family stories or documents about region of Poland where they could came from that could move the research forward..

Last edited by Zenon on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Send e-mail
BStanislas

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:35 pm      Post subject: Benadykt Jedresjowski/Jendrezjowski

Hi

Having traced my family tree through documents held by my grandmother it seems apparent that there is a connection as I have a Benadykt Jedresjowski/Jendrezjowski who married a Catherine Adamski and resided in Poland. Stanislas W Jendrezjowski came to England and he was originally a Polish Millitary Officer ( I have his pay book). He fled Poland due to the persecution of the polish by the Prussians. Im desperatley trying to trace Benedykt side of the family back so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Bryan
Hussar

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:58 pm      Post subject:

Bryan, while trying to disseminate some facts discussed here, my thoughts are that Zenon's findings conflict with the Prussian "Germanification" determination. The Congress of Vienna transferred some of the lands from Austrian to Russian posession to settle the post-Napoleonic period. The Kingdom of Warsaw was an ally of Napoleon's, therefore suffered under the new Russian rule and "Russification" policy. My own ancestry was involved in those regions, getting answers is not easy. Are there any Russian military records available for your search? Did your ancestry leave Poland for France prior to England? A large Polish population in several French cities was realized prior to even the 1st partition, reference: The Confederation of Bar. Good luck in your quest, Cheers.
BStanislas

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:46 am      Post subject:

Thanks, very interesting information here. I was aware that there was in issue with Russia and that many fled the country. I have found evidence that satates that Stanislaus (Stanislas) Jedrzejowski left from Bremen aboard a ship bound for New York with many others and some where his siblings. Due to bad weather are vessel issues many left the ship at Portsmouth, England and this is where the UK story begins. I do have a military pay book for him however I am struggling to research the Polish side due to the language barrier.....google translate can only go so far.
Hussar

Replies: 35

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:44 pm      Post subject:

Can you scan and attach the bio page? Myself or others on this forum could decipher what google can't. The time period of his leaving for the US had many more as well. Chicago's "Polish Downtown" started up about 1820 and was really booming in 1840 with part of the community becoming americanized and part working toward a free polish homeland where they could one day return. Many military and other professionals were within the community.
SPerry

Post Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 am      Post subject:

oh my goodness this is a weath of information that I have never even heard of before - Bryan - I have PM'd you sorry if it is a bit garbled - I have an ancestry.com profile which has all the UK based Descendants of Stanislas in it - though they are very difficult to find due to name changes. I wondered whether he went somewhere else first before coming to the UK. I also always wondered why the UK as the USA and Parts of France seemed much more popular locations. I do know that he may have come to the UK with a friend who is listed as his best man on his wedding certificate. I also know that his professional was listed as an Engineer / Engine Driver. With regards to the Portsmouth connection - there is a monument to these polish men in Portsmouth who were stranded here but unfortunately Stanislas name is not listed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: