PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Latin records translations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206 ... 272, 273, 274  Next
Author

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:16 am      Post subject: Translation from Latin to English

I looked again at a document that I posted over a week ago for translation and realized that the bottom part was missing! So here it is again

Thanks
Gail

Pawel doc complete.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pawel doc complete.pdf
 Filesize:  457.07 KB
 Downloaded:  210 Time(s)

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 2781

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:18 pm      Post subject: Re: Translation from Latin to English

galicia seeker wrote:
Hello!

I have been doing some research into my Ukrainian/Polish family in Galicia. My gr gr grandfather married Pawel Ostrowski's sister so I have been curious about Polish nobility in the early 19th century (not that they probably owned much) Fascinated that in 1782 Austrian Poland established the “register of proven noble ancestry” in Lemberg (Lwów), which granted noble status and enforced nobility regulations. .

Seems that, being the eldest son, Pawel was the sole inheritor of his father's estate in 1830. Trouble was, he had to produce a birth certificate to prove his lineage but could not. The church records for his birth year were lost or destroyed, so instead he produced affidavits from 4 family associates to attest to his credibility, his parents and grandparents lineage.

The two documents I am attaching seem to be the final outcome - one, I believe, is written in Latin and the other one may be Polish. Oops, will send the Polish one elsewhere!

I would very much appreciate any insight you can give me....

Thanks very much
Gail

Hi Gail,

Your original posted image contained the entire document. I finished translating it and the second short (last) record yesterday evening and decided to wait until today to proofread the translations before posting them. Unfortunately, the laptop I was using developed severe problems and I was not able to retrieve the translations. To make a long story short, the laptop is currently with a tech dude who is working on migrating the translation and other files to one of my other computers. The promise is that he will complete the process by Tuesday. My grand plan is to post the translation at that time rather then translating it a second time.

In the meanwhile here is a summary of the contents of the documents. The first (long) document is a record of Paweł’s request to the Nobility Forum of the District of Czortków to confirm his noble status despite the lack of a birth certificate based on his testimony and the testimony of his witnesses and is dated 28 January 1831. The district heard his plea and rather than rendering a ruling referred the matter to the District of Stanisławów. (It seems that they were kicking the matter up to a higher level for review.0 It is there that the first document ends. The second (short) document does not record a decision regarding his plea. It is a short summary of actions taken. Based on his and the witnesses testimony that he was born in Biała, the officials concluded that Biała was in the District of Tarnopol, not Czortków. The case was sent there and referred to the District of Stanisławów, which apparently had jurisdiction over lower districts. This document is dated 14 March 1831.

It would seem that in order to learn the final outcome it would appear to be necessary to locate the document which recorded the decision of the District of Stanisławów. Attached is a map of the administrative districts of Galicia at a later time. Although the districts in the two records probably don’t correspond to those in the map, the map may prove useful to get a general idea of the noble forum districts.

Sorry that the records do not provide info regarding the final outcome of Paweł’s petition.

Dave

Galicia_administrative1914.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  308.23 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Galicia_administrative1914.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:23 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin help needed (Joannes Zynda, Pogutki)

Louie wrote:
Top left

Parish is located in Pogutki (Poguthen) east of Strargard
Stare Kishau
28th? October I who ___ ___ baptized _____ ___
___ ____ same ____ 2? Month? born to whom (was) given the name
Joannes. Parents : Jacob Zynda and Florintina L:.C: Catholic Godparents Antonius
_____ and Anna _______________?

As always, thanks much.
louie

Hi Louie,

The record contains both truncated words and abbreviations. The most commonly found truncation is for the Ablative Singular of dies, diei, day. It appears at the beginning of each entry on the page before the number and looks like a squiggle. It is die, the Ablative of Time and is translated as “on the __day”. The partial abbreviation is L.C. Catholicum and in its full form is Legitimum Conjugium Catholicum (Legitimate Catholic Marriage). The abbreviation often appears as L.L.C.C.

So here is the translation.

Dave

Stare Kishau (Stara Kiszewa)
On the 28th day of October I, who (is named) previously, baptized an infant, born at the second hour in the morning on the 24th day of the same (month) to whom I gave the name Jan. The parents: The legitimate Catholic marital union of Jakub Zynda and Florentyna. The sponsors/godparents were Antoni Pastwa and Anna Szramkowa*.

Note: The suffix -owa denotes a married woman, “the wife of..” As Sophia noted, it often is difficult to determine the Nominate Case of the husband’s surname. The possibilities which come to mind are Szramek, Szramka, Szramke, or possibly Szram (with the “k” added to the suffix for euphoric reasons). I think Szram is the least likely. Anyway you cut it the name is of Germanic origin, which is likely given the region where the baptism took place. The German version would be Schramm.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:26 pm      Post subject: Re: Can't make out the name...

Sophia wrote:
Lori Love wrote:
I am attaching a marriage record and 4 birth records. The marriage record is for Simon ____?_____, son of Filip and Solamea Majka. The bride is Catherine, daughter of Andrzej Kmiec and Marcella Wolek.
Marcella is my great-grandmother.
They are from Sielec, a small village near Sędziszów Małopolski.
I can't read the last name of Simon. On the marriage record, it looks like Barnach. The names on the birth records look totally different from the marriage record but the parents are the same so it has to be the same 'Simon'.
The last name is a new one to me. All the people in the area intermarried. My family tree is made up of about 10 names that kept getting married to each other for about 100 years. All the options for Simon are names that don't appear anywhere else in the area.
I don't know where else to check. The church records for the area are not on Geneteka. No one else seems to be working this branch except for me so I have no hints to go after. Since I don't know Polish, I can't make an educated guess as to what would be the logical name if it is being spelled phonetically.
I appreciate any assistance or educated guesses.
Thank-you!
Lori

Hi Lori,
I can help you with this, as it is more a question of being able to decipher names than it is about actually translating.
The name appears three ways here. On the marriage document, it says Barnak (I see the ending as "-ak" rather than as "-ach".) The first three baptisms show it as Gubernak. The fourth baptism shows it as Kubernak. I am certain that the name is Gubernak. Here you can see the distribution of this surname in Poland (super rare!):
https://nazwiska-polskie.pl/Gubernak
It shows 52 people using the name Gubernak, 28 of whom live in Sielec.
Kubernak is probably just a spellling error. Barnak seems to be missing the first syllable; not sure what to make of that. Try looking for other records for this family, using the Gubernak spelling, and see if you can confirm it is the correct surname for Simon.
Best of luck in your search,
Sophia

Hi Lori,

I agree with Sophia’s take on the surname question. I’ll leave it at that since there really is no Latin which needs to be translated.

Dave
galicia seeker

Replies: 69

Post Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:07 pm      Post subject: Translation from Latin to English

Thank you so much for your translation of the nobility record for Pawel Ostrowski's appeal to the Nobility Tribunal.

If the decision was kicked up to another level I may never know the final decision; however, Pawel Ostrowski continued to identify himself in Greek Catholic church records well after 1831 as "Nobility".

I have learned so much about these times in Galicia and the ancient Polish connections. I am writing a story for my family ....basically about the Feduns' in Biale, Przemyslany and their relationship to the Ostrowski family in Biala, Ternopil. Seems my Fedun ancestors were parachuted from the mother ship to Biale in around 1835 and records indicate a close relationship with the Ostrowski branch of Pawel. No records in Biale prior to 1835....no one born there or married there until 4 Fedun brothers (two of them provisors/econom, one the cantor) recorded marriage /birth records for their children.

Many curious happenings. I may never find out for sure, but I read somewhere that sometimes nobility paid for entire families to relocate. One day I might find out if Pawel Ostrowski's family bought out part or the whole village of Biale, Przemyslany.

My understanding is that many noble Polish landowners hit a hard time in realizing that dividing all their land amongst all their children could well result in land poverty and having to sell.

Again Dave, thank you. I am awed by your knowledge.

Gail
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:59 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

[quote="TedMack"]G'day Dave

Spent a couple of hours at FamilySearch Library today looking for records of my G Grandfather and GG Grandfather with no luck - after a few mumbles and grumbles and controlled swearing I decided to give up on them today and switched to my GGG Grandparents in the Rychnow parish as I did get some clues on line over the last few weeks.

As my Latin is poor (really hopeless or non-existent would be accurate) I was hoping you could assist with some translations please. As there are a few records and I have provided a full page copy as well as a cropped copy I think I may spread this out over a couple of messages.

I'll start with Mackowski's - I found two need children of Andrzej & Marianna which I did not know about - unfortunately they don't record the surnames in the record or in the Index (males seem to have surname recorded but not females) but there wouldn't be many couples by those names in Rychnow for that period. These are Baptism records for Maryanna and Magdalena.

Thanks

Hi Ted,

Here are the first two Maryanna & Magdalena. The others will follow bit by bit.

Dave

Baptism of Magdalena: #14
Left Col. July 22, 1806: Rychnow, In the same year I, the same who (is) above, baptized an infant by the name of Magdalena, the daughter of the legitimate spouses, the industrious * Andrzej and Maryanna. The sponsors were the upright** Paweł Zygmanowski, a herder/shepherd, with Wiktoria Rymazowna, a maiden, a servant of the (manor) house of Rebamaly(?).

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: general term for a peasant
**honestus/upright: usually describes a peasant farmer from a small town or village.

Baptism of Maryanna Mackowski

Left Col.: December 3, 1799
Body of Entry: Rychnow: I, the same who (is) above, baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna, the daughter of the legitimate marital union of Andrzej and Maryanna, tenants. The sponsors were Stefan/Szczepan* Matuszczak with Malgorzata, the wife of Blazej Dirtka.

Note:*Stefan/Szczepan: both are common versions in Polish of the name Stephen. Both are included because it is not known from the text which version the sponsor used in daily life.
TedMack

Replies: 479

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:15 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

[quote="dnowicki"]
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Spent a couple of hours at FamilySearch Library today looking for records of my G Grandfather and GG Grandfather with no luck - after a few mumbles and grumbles and controlled swearing I decided to give up on them today and switched to my GGG Grandparents in the Rychnow parish as I did get some clues on line over the last few weeks.

As my Latin is poor (really hopeless or non-existent would be accurate) I was hoping you could assist with some translations please. As there are a few records and I have provided a full page copy as well as a cropped copy I think I may spread this out over a couple of messages.

I'll start with Mackowski's - I found two need children of Andrzej & Marianna which I did not know about - unfortunately they don't record the surnames in the record or in the Index (males seem to have surname recorded but not females) but there wouldn't be many couples by those names in Rychnow for that period. These are Baptism records for Maryanna and Magdalena.

Thanks

Hi Ted,

Here are the first two Maryanna & Magdalena. The others will follow bit by bit.

Dave

Baptism of Magdalena: #14
Left Col. July 22, 1806: Rychnow, In the same year I, the same who (is) above, baptized an infant by the name of Magdalena, the daughter of the legitimate spouses, the industrious * Andrzej and Maryanna. The sponsors were the upright** Paweł Zygmanowski, a herder/shepherd, with Wiktoria Rymazowna, a maiden, a servant of the (manor) house of Rebamaly(?).

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: general term for a peasant
**honestus/upright: usually describes a peasant farmer from a small town or village.

Baptism of Maryanna Mackowski

Left Col.: December 3, 1799
Body of Entry: Rychnow: I, the same who (is) above, baptized an infant by the name of Maryanna, the daughter of the legitimate marital union of Andrzej and Maryanna, tenants. The sponsors were Stefan/Szczepan* Matuszczak with Malgorzata, the wife of Blazej Dirtka.

Note:*Stefan/Szczepan: both are common versions in Polish of the name Stephen. Both are included because it is not known from the text which version the sponsor used in daily life.

Thanks Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:07 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave - message 2.

The Kruszak family - Jan married Anna Mackowski in Rychnow somewhere around the 1810's. The only I have been able to locate as a marriage record I don't think it is for my Anna. I thought she may have married as a widow but the record lists her as a virgin - so if you could just confirm that I have the wrong record that would be helpful. There are also two of their children's Death records which online say are records 4 & 5 but when I look at these in the attached they don't look right - again if I am barking up the wrong tree let me know and I'll head back to the drawing board.

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted,

Here is the next installment. Ignacy Chalka/Halka was a twin. His brother was Piotr and the birth & baptism of both is recorded in the posted entry. I guess that means more research for you to find out what happened to Piotr. The final installment will follow soon.

Dave

Hi Ted,

Here is the second installment. A fun fact...Ignacy Halka/Chalka was a twin. The entry names his brother as Piotr. Looks like there will be more research for you to find out what happened to Piotr. Records can still have surprises.

Dave

Deaths of Maciej & Grzegorz Kruszak

In Left Margin: Twins
Body of Entries: Rychnow: In the Year of Our Lord 1823 on the 16th day of the month of February I, Franciszek Szaniawski, the curate of Rychnow, buried an infant boy by the name of Maciej, the son of the legitimate marriage of the industrious* Jan and Anna Kruczak, who was buried in the cemetery field** towards the south.

Rychnow: In the Year of Our Lord 1823 on the 17th day of the month of February I, who (is named) above, buried an infant boy by the name of Grzegorz, the son of the legitimate marriage of the industrious* Jan and Anna Kruczak, who was buried in the cemetery field** towards the south.

Notes: *laboriosus/industrious: general term for a peasant.
**a bit of unusual phrasing. It seems the priest is specifying the section of the cemetery by using the word “field”.

#8 Marriage of Jan Kruszak & Anna Justynowa
Left Margin: #8
Next Col.: 11 November, 1815
Body of Entry: Rychnow: After the three banns had been announced beforehand and since no Canonical impediment had been detected, I blessed the marriage between the industrious* Jan Kruszak, a bachelor, 22 years of age, and Anna Justynowa, a maiden, 23 years of age, in the presence of various witnesses among whom were Stefan/Szczepan** Matuszczak and Maciej Weysniak(?), allo from the village of Rychnow.

**Stefan/Szczepan: both are common versions in Polish of the name Stephen. Both are included because it is not known from the text which version the witness used in daily life.

1771 Baptism of twins Ignacy & Piotr Halka
Rychnow
In the Year of Our Lord 1771 on the 28th day of July I, Antoni Malinski, pastor of Rychnow, baptized infant twins born on the 27th of the legitimate marriage of the industrious Marcin Halka and Jadwiga. The names were given (to the first) Ignacy and to the other Piotr in chains*. The sponsors were: for Ignacy: Wawrzyniec Faber** and Regina Pasikowa, both from Rychnow; for Piotr: Wojciech Chab???ski from Bogucice and Maryanna Stachowna, a maiden from Kurza.

Notes: * The feast day of St. Peter in Chains (Sanctus Petrus ad Vincula) was on August 1, a few days after the birth of the twins. The priest by naming the second twin Petrus (Peter/Piotr) ad Vincula is specifying that among the many saints named Peter the Name Day of this child is August 1. In Poland one’s Name Day was more important than one’s actual day of birth.
**Faber is more the sponsor’s occupation rather than a surname. Faber is a craftsman or smith. Often the word is used in conjunction with a noun or adjective which specifies the craft, like faber ferri (blacksmith), faber clavorum (locksmith), etc. That is not the case here.
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:53 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Another frustrating day at FamilySearch Library - couldn't find what I was looking for but didn't come away empty handed. At your leisure can you please translate the attached. The record for Stanislaw Szmajda - I take it that it is Stanislaw based on the Index written a long time later - it is record 42 bottom of the second page, a crop also supplied.
For Małgorzata Szmajda is the second last record for 1810 - also on the second page.

Many thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Here is the third & final installment.

I hope the translations help to move your research along.

Dave

Death of Stanisław Szmajda

#42 Village of Bliżnia. On the 24th day of December Stanisław Szmayda, age 70, died. He was buried in the cemetery.

Death of Małgorzata Szmajda

Village of Bliżnia. In the Year of Our Lord 1810 on the 26th day of December the industrious* Małgorzata Szmayda, age 50 died after having been fortified by the Sacraments of the Church.** She was buried in the cemetery near St. Lawrence***.

**Munita Ecclesiae Sacramentis/fortified by the Sacraments of the Church: Confession, Communion under the form of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction (currently called the Anointing of the Sick). Collectively these three were known as “The Last Rites”.
***ad S. Laurentium/near St. Lawrence: Evidently there was either a chapel or a statue of St. Lawrence in the cemetery. The priest uses it as a landmark to indicate where she was buried.
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 am      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

dnowicki wrote:
TedMack wrote:
G'day Dave

Another frustrating day at FamilySearch Library - couldn't find what I was looking for but didn't come away empty handed. At your leisure can you please translate the attached. The record for Stanislaw Szmajda - I take it that it is Stanislaw based on the Index written a long time later - it is record 42 bottom of the second page, a crop also supplied.
For Małgorzata Szmajda is the second last record for 1810 - also on the second page.

Many thanks

Ted

Hi Ted,

Here is the third & final installment.

I hope the translations help to move your research along.

Dave

Death of Stanisław Szmajda

#42 Village of Bliżnia. On the 24th day of December Stanisław Szmayda, age 70, died. He was buried in the cemetery.

Death of Małgorzata Szmajda

Village of Bliżnia. In the Year of Our Lord 1810 on the 26th day of December the industrious* Małgorzata Szmayda, age 50 died after having been fortified by the Sacraments of the Church.** She was buried in the cemetery near St. Lawrence***.

**Munita Ecclesiae Sacramentis/fortified by the Sacraments of the Church: Confession, Communion under the form of Viaticum, and Extreme Unction (currently called the Anointing of the Sick). Collectively these three were known as “The Last Rites”.
***ad S. Laurentium/near St. Lawrence: Evidently there was either a chapel or a statue of St. Lawrence in the cemetery. The priest uses it as a landmark to indicate where she was buried.

G'day Dave

Brilliant work as always! Definitely solves a couple of issues but opens up some more avenues for research. I'm a bit perplexed with the Marriage record for Anna Justynowa (thought she may have been a widow hence the different name but she is a maiden) - pretty sure that this is Anna Mackowski - to confirm that will need to look at all the children birth records to see if her maiden name is recorded. There is also her Death record, if and when I find it, that may give her maiden name. I suppose that Justynowa could be her Mothers maiden name?

Any way may be a while before I get some more records from FamilySearch as they are doing some upgrades to their database and the microfiche records are not accessible for now.

The search continues.

Cheers

Ted
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 am      Post subject:

The attached register includes the marriage for my grandfather's first cousin (Joannes Duliban) being married in Gac parish. (Line 14) to Thecla Kilian. I know she is only 17, so I know that she had to get permission from her father Thomas Kilian to marry. I would appreciate a translation of the rest of the record.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

1893 Joannes Duliban (Marianna Sowa) marriage Gac parish s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

1893 Joannes Duliban (Marianna Sowa) marriage Gac parish s.jpg

dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:00 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

TedMack wrote:

G'day Dave

Brilliant work as always! Definitely solves a couple of issues but opens up some more avenues for research. I'm a bit perplexed with the Marriage record for Anna Justynowa (thought she may have been a widow hence the different name but she is a maiden) - pretty sure that this is Anna Mackowski - to confirm that will need to look at all the children birth records to see if her maiden name is recorded. There is also her Death record, if and when I find it, that may give her maiden name. I suppose that Justynowa could be her Mothers maiden name?

Any way may be a while before I get some more records from FamilySearch as they are doing some upgrades to their database and the microfiche records are not accessible for now.

The search continues.

Cheers

Ted

Hi Ted,

I would find it more likely that Anna’s maiden name would be Mackowski, as you said. It seems very likely that Justynowa is a patronymic, which indicates that her father’s given name was Justyn. Thus there would be no maiden name problem.

Any time I see the name Justyn I think of my maternal grandfather. We lived in the same house with my maternal grandparents. There was a Sunday afternoon Polish radio program on one of the Chicago stations which was Father Justyn’s Rosary Hour. My grandfather regularly listed to that program and it is as if I can still hear that program. It is funny how some memories remain clear for 50 or 60 or more years. It is not like I was into listening to the program but I recall many of the “stock” phrases from it in the background of Sundays at home.

Looking forward to the continuation of the story,

Dave
dnowicki
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:08 pm      Post subject:

rsowa wrote:
The attached register includes the marriage for my grandfather's first cousin (Joannes Duliban) being married in Gac parish. (Line 14) to Thecla Kilian. I know she is only 17, so I know that she had to get permission from her father Thomas Kilian to marry. I would appreciate a translation of the rest of the record.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Hi Richard,

Here is the translation of the marriage record of Jan Duliban and Tekla Kilian.

Dave

C.1: 1893
C1a: Numerus positionis = number in order: 14
C1b: Mensis = Month: 30 Novemver
C1c: Numerus Domus = House Number: To the house of the bride Number 96
C2: Sponsus = The Groom
C2a: Nomen = Name: Jan Duliban, the son of the late Franciszek and the late Maryanna (born) of the marriage of Stanisław Sowa, a gardener*, born and residing in Klin of the parish of Gać
C2b: Religio = Religion
C2b1: Catholica = Catholic: Roman Catholic
C2b2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
C2bc: Aetas = Age: 25 &1/2 years; (born on May 20, 1868)
C2d: Coelebs = Bachelor: Checked
C2e: Viduus = Widower: Blank
C3: Sponsa = The Bride
C3a: Nomen = Name: Tekla, the daughter of the marriage of Tomasz Kilian, a gardener*, and of Helena (born) of Michał Sżlęk, born and residing in Gać
C3b1: Religio = Religion
C3b1: Catholica = Catholic: Roman Catholic
C3b2: Aut alia = Or another: Blank
C3c: Aetas = Age: 17 years; (born on November 8, 1876)
C3d: Coelebs = Maiden: Checked
C3e: Vidua = Widow: Blank
C4 Testes Nomen et Conditio = Witnesses Name and Status/Condition: Andrzej Hałub (&) Józef Sżlęk, cottagers

Notation at bottom: After the three proclamations of the banns had been made on the 29th, 30th, 31st Sundays after Pentecost, that is on 5, 12, 19 November and the consent from the military authority for for the spouses to contract marriage given at Jarosław on 29 November, 1893 Number 2672 had been presented, Marcin Karpisz, the pastor, blessed the marriage.
That I consent to the marriage of my underage daughter Tekla is made known by my signature and that of the two witnesses as above. (signature) Tomasz Kilian.

The final notation with the parish seal on the page is not directly connected to this marriage but does contain two things of note. It reads in Latin: Concordat cum originali testor...(signature) Martinus Sanokowski, parochus (English: I attest that (this copy) agrees with the original...(signature) Marcin Sanokowski, pastor.) It is worth noting that the name of the pastor as recorded in the marriage entry (Marcin Karpisz) is not the same as the pastor who signed off on the copy of the marriage register, Marcin Sanokowski, and who is also named as the pastor in the other marriage entries on the page. It demonstrates that errors occur in hand written manuscripts and that the more copies made of a given document the greater the chances of errors. This, in turn, demonstrates the importance of knowing whether a document is the original or a copy. It is also worth noting that the archive where this record is housed has a copy, not the original. In Galicia multiple copies of these records were made and were sent to various places in both Galicia and in Austria or in other locations in the Hapsburg Empire.

Note: *hortulanus/gardener: a person who had his own cottage and sufficient land for a garden and perhaps some animal, but no farm fields.
rsowa
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 177

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:48 pm      Post subject:

dnowicki wrote:
That I consent to the marriage of my underage daughter Tekla is made known by my signature and that of the two witnesses as above. (signature) Tomasz Kilian.

.... It is also worth noting that the archive where this record is housed has a copy, not the original.

Thanks Dave...great info! One tidbit that I am glad to see is that (while the document was not the one actually signed by Thomas Kilian), it's clear that he DID sign his name on the original. Literacy in my ancestral families was rare, but in this case, at least they could sign their names.

Thanks again,
Richard

Last edited by rsowa on Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
TedMack

Post Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:47 pm      Post subject: Re: Latin Record Translation

Hi Ted,

I would find it more likely that Anna’s maiden name would be Mackowski, as you said. It seems very likely that Justynowa is a patronymic, which indicates that her father’s given name was Justyn. Thus there would be no maiden name problem.

Any time I see the name Justyn I think of my maternal grandfather. We lived in the same house with my maternal grandparents. There was a Sunday afternoon Polish radio program on one of the Chicago stations which was Father Justyn’s Rosary Hour. My grandfather regularly listed to that program and it is as if I can still hear that program. It is funny how some memories remain clear for 50 or 60 or more years. It is not like I was into listening to the program but I recall many of the “stock” phrases from it in the background of Sundays at home.

Looking forward to the continuation of the story,

Dave[/quote]

G'day Dave.

Interesting how certain snippets bring back memories of the past as we age. Anna's parents were Andrzej and Marianna, so no actual link to Justyn? I do have other relatives who have different names in their marriage records, one who had the maiden name of his grandmother recorded in his marriage record as being his surname. I presume it all depends on what the priest asks at the time and how the request is interpreted resulting in many of the inaccuracies found in records? Jan Kruszak is a witness to Marianna's death and is noted as being the son in law and the ages of Jan and Anna match with other records, so from that I can take it that it is Anna Mackowski in the marriage record. For now I can run with the possibility that Marianna's maiden name was Justynowa (her maiden name was not listed in her death record) and see if it leads anywhere.

Thanks for your help - the search continues.

Cheers

Ted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> Research in Poland All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206 ... 272, 273, 274  Next Page 205 of 274

Jump to: