PolishOrigins Forum

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author

Replies: 44

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:58 am      Post subject: State/Province on Passenger Manifest

The 1889 Hamburg ship manifest for my ancestors lists their last residence as Jagodnik. Unfortunately, there is more than one Jagodnik within Poland. I hoped the state/province might help me narrow down which Jagodnik they came from, but it it is extremely difficult to decipher. Can anyone figure it out from the attachment? Thanks!

Manifest 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.22 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Manifest 2.jpg

Manifest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.67 KB

Manifest.jpg

Last edited by davidckane on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Replies: 1027

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:13 am      Post subject: Re: State/Province on Passenger Manifest

davidckane wrote:
The 1889 Hamburg ship manifest for my ancestors lists their last residence as Jagodnik. Unfortunately, there is more than one Jagodnik within Poland. I hoped the state/province might help me narrow down which Jagodnik they came from, but it it is extremely difficult to decipher. Can anyone figure it out from the attachment? Thanks!

Hi David,
The best way to figure out squirrely handwriting is to see how the writer wrote various other words, names, and place names. So, it would be really helpful if you could include an image that shows more of the page that this was written on. In fact, if you can provide a link to the ship manifest from Family Search's website, then it would be a lot easier for me or others to help you.
From what you provided, my best guess is that it says "Russl" which is an abbreviation of Russland, the German word for Russia.
Best regards,
Sophia
davidckane

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:26 am      Post subject:

Thanks so much. I've tried to do the same already by comparing other words on the page, but failed. I also considered "Russland," but my ancestors consistently indicated on other documents that they came from the German/Prussian areas of Poland. I cannot find the manifest on Family Search, but this is the link on Ancestry if you have access to that site: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/1068/images/S_13156_080808-0141?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=105c0886dd2b9ba60ab5863332b746a6&usePUB=true&_phsrc=ebY330&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.256262155.1402393278.1622235234-1352602523.1619805697&_gac=1.152652491.1621274893.CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szjXZ_UG-seZ5e9YlLCMLQqo71aFtooGmSSuMRvyixjyqxvrK6GEwABoCASgQAvD_BwE&pId=2957566
davidckane

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:37 am      Post subject:

Hi again. I added a copy of the entire manifest to the original post. Thanks again!
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:22 am      Post subject:

davidckane wrote:
Hi again. I added a copy of the entire manifest to the original post. Thanks again!

Hi David,
That helped a lot, posting the image, as I do not have access to Ancestry.
It is definitely Russia.
Here is their arrival manifest (see lines 6 through 9):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-R3SW-4H?i=427&cc=1849782&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQVSL-JK2Q
Best regards,
Sophia

P.S. the name of the ship is the State of Nevada
davidckane

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 pm      Post subject:

Thanks so much. If it is Russia, then I assume my ancestors mistakenly were grouped with others from Russia as they listed many times in other documents that they originated from Germany/Prussia. With that said, having looked at the manifest for a substantial period of time, I'm not sure the letter in the middle -- which dips well down below the line -- is consistent with the word "Russland" (or the German version). I wouldn't expect such a dip given the letters in that word. Anyway, much appreciated.
Sophia
PO Top Contributor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:23 pm      Post subject:

davidckane wrote:
Thanks so much. If it is Russia, then I assume my ancestors mistakenly were grouped with others from Russia as they listed many times in other documents that they originated from Germany/Prussia. With that said, having looked at the manifest for a substantial period of time, I'm not sure the letter in the middle -- which dips well down below the line -- is consistent with the word "Russland" (or the German version). I wouldn't expect such a dip given the letters in that word. Anyway, much appreciated.

Hi David,
Actually, when there is a double S, it is very often the case that the first S does that "dip" that you describe. It is called "the long S." You have probably seen it in historical U.S. documents, such as where the word Congress looks like it is written as Congrefs.
I wish you good luck in your search,
Sophia
mcdonald0517
PO Top Contributor & Patron

Replies: 961

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:36 pm      Post subject:

Hello David,

Welcome to the forum.

I have spent a couple of days looking at your passenger list and also doing some research. I have some discoveries for you that you may or may not be aware of. Here goes:

1. When I look at the passenger list you posted, I don’t see Jagodnik. I see Jagschik. Also, I wouldn't get too hung up on the fact the scribe wrote Russia instead of Prussia. It is an easy mistake to make when information is spoken.

2. I found many documents for your family in Ancestry.com and as you say, they all confirm they were born in Germany/Prussia. I also found other Niebojewski families in New Jersey. Some of them changed their name to Neborsky. One of these family members is Franz Niebojewski. His passenger list indicates he is from Inowroclawek, and his birth year would place him as a possible sibling to Joseph.

3. I did more research, and discovered that Inowroclaw is a district (and a city) in the Kujavian Pomeranian Voivodeship of Poland (formerly part of Prussia). It was also part of the Poznan (Posen) district. Gmina Inowroclaw has multiple villages including two – Jaksice and Jaksiczki – that were known in German as “Jakschik” (per Wikipedia and Kartenmeister database). This matches very well with what Marianna verbally gave as her place of residence when boarding the ship leaving Hamburg, Germany in 1889. The scribe taking the information wrote it as Jagschik, but it is very close when spoken.

4. I also found documents on ancestry indicating Marianna’s maiden name was Nowak or Nowack.

5. I searched the Poznan Project for indexed marriage records for your family. I found: 1883 Joseph Niebojewski and Marianna Nowak married in parish of Koscielec; I also found two of his father’s marriages: Joseph (Sr.) and Apollonia Musielska and then to Victoria Oszewska. He had children from both marriages. This means your Joseph had half brothers from the first marriage: Martin b. 1841; Felix b. 1844; Franz b. 1857. He also had full brothers from his father’s second marriage: Balthasar b. 1866 and Thomas b. 1864. See attached marriage index screen shot for Joseph (Jr.) and Marianna. If you want the other images, let me know. Also, Joseph Sr. marriage records shows his parents as Martin Niebojewski and Agatha Osinska.

6. All of these locations: Inowroclaw, Koscielec, Jaksice, and Jaksiczki are within 8 miles of each other. So likely the Niebojewski family moved around the villages in the Gmina (district) of Inowroclaw. See attached screen shot of map.
I will continue looking around for actual parish records. That’s it for now. Perhaps other members of the forum can add to this line of research.

Best,
Cynthia

map Inowroclaw Koscielec Jaksice Jaksiczki.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.7 KB

map Inowroclaw Koscielec Jaksice Jaksiczki.jpg

1883 Joseph Niebojewski and Marianna Nowak marriage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  84.1 KB

1883 Joseph Niebojewski and Marianna Nowak marriage.jpg

Send e-mail
davidckane

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:40 pm      Post subject:

Hi. Did my response to you from other day get posted here? I'm relatively new here and concerned I may have made a mistake because I don't see it. Thanks!
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:47 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

No, I did not see an earlier response from you.

Best,
Cynthia
Send e-mail
davidckane

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:50 pm      Post subject:

I apologize if my prior response did not come through. I'll reiterate the crux of it here.

First, thanks so much for digging into this for me! I did not expect anyone to do that and am extremely grateful.

Second, your thoughts about the name of the town seem spot on. I hadn't read it the way you did, so I thank you for looking closely at it and finding actual matching town names. I will definitely check out the Kartenmeister database. I'm really excited to look into those towns.

Third, I agree with you that those are my relatives on Poznan Project. Thanks so much! I can find the marriage records on the site (and am in the process of figuring out the best way to retrieve them). Would you mind telling me how you found the list of siblings? Was it on Poznan Project? I've only seen marriage records on there, so I may be missing another aspect of the site entirely. I'm very interested to dig in on the siblings.

Fourth, you are correct that the family changed the name to Nebosky. I've been in touch with some other descendants as we try to figure out the history. I appreciate your help very much!

Thanks again!

David
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:35 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

You are very welcome! Folks in this forum are very keen to help one another. I am glad you checked back in and discovered your post was missing... Some people post a request and then forget to come back to check in. So, I am glad you returned, because I actually have some more information for you that I will post later today. Also, it is common for new eyes to see something different in a passenger list - that has happened to me a lot in my own research!!

For now, let me answer your question re: siblings. I found them in a round about way through the Poznan Project. I did a search only on the surname Niebojewski. It returned a longer list of marriage records, and I began looking at the parents names for the bride and groom. That is how I found the siblings for Joseph (Jr). If the parents in the marriage record were Joseph Niebojewski and Viktoria Olszewska, then I knew the groom in the record was a full brother of Joseph; if the mother was Appolonia Musielska, then I knew the groom was a half-brother of Joseph.

Did you also find Joseph Niebojewski (Sr) two marriage records? If so, you will see the name of his parents which gives you another generation back - and also another parish.

Also, as you research parishes, keep in mind that Jakschik could just have been her last residence - not necessarily a birth location. I would suggest you start looking for the birth records of Joseph and Marianna's children in the same parish as their marriage - Koscielec. If you don't see them there, then try Jaksice. You may also need to expand the search to the parishes where some of Joseph's siblings were married. Looks like this family moved around a bit.

I will post later about a database that has some of the records for these parishes so you can start browsing through them.

Happy researching!
Cynthia
Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:54 pm      Post subject:

Hello Dave,

Bingo!! I found the civil marriage record for Joseph Niebojewski and Marianna Nowaka (see attached 2 pages). It is written in German. Now, you can post the images to the German translation forum of this website to request a translation if you cannot figure it out yourself. Also, here is the link to the record in the database; it is akt #6 (image 7):

https://genealogiawarchiwach.pl/,#query.type=ALL&query.facetQuery.date=1883&query.facetQuery.subseries=Akta+ma%25C5%2582%25C5%25BCe%25C5%2584stw&query.city=Inowroc%25C5%2582aw&query.suggestion=false&query.thumbnails=false&query.facet=true&query.asc=false&query.sortMode=PUBLICATION&modal=256548561&personTree=false&goComments=false&searcher=big&query.query

Hopefully, more to come.
Cynthia

1883 Joseph Niebojewsky marriage pg1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.96 KB

1883 Joseph Niebojewsky marriage pg1.jpg

1883 Joseph Niebojewski marriage pg2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.88 KB

1883 Joseph Niebojewski marriage pg2.jpg

Send e-mail
mcdonald0517

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:41 pm      Post subject:

Hi Dave,

Here is the link and for the parish birth record in Koscielec for Ignatius:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSM9-N9XQ-5?i=643&cat=1049611

and here is link for the birth of Marianna:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSM9-N96K-6?i=675&cat=1049611

Attached are the record downloads as well.

Best,
Cynthia

1887-52 Marianna Niebojewski birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.81 MB

1887-52 Marianna Niebojewski birth.jpg

1884-8 Ignatius Niebojewski birth.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.9 MB

1884-8 Ignatius Niebojewski birth.jpg

Send e-mail
davidckane

Post Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 am      Post subject:

Oh my gosh. I'm overwhelmed. I have just seen this and did not have a chance to look through what you sent yet with any detail, but wanted to immediately post a thank you message. I'm incredibly grateful for your help. I will look through all you sent this weekend. Thank you again! I may circle back afterward with questions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next Page 1 of 2

Jump to: