PolishOrigins Forum

 FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in    RegisterRegister 
Author
Message
davidckane



Joined: 4 Days ago at 7:15 am
Replies: 4

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 7:58 am      Post subject: State/Province on Passenger Manifest
Reply with quote

The 1889 Hamburg ship manifest for my ancestors lists their last residence as Jagodnik. Unfortunately, there is more than one Jagodnik within Poland. I hoped the state/province might help me narrow down which Jagodnik they came from, but it it is extremely difficult to decipher. Can anyone figure it out from the attachment? Thanks!


Manifest 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.22 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Manifest 2.jpg



Manifest.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.67 KB
 Viewed:  0 Time(s)

Manifest.jpg




Last edited by davidckane on 4 Days ago at 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile
Send private message
Sophia
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 650

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 9:13 am      Post subject: Re: State/Province on Passenger Manifest
Reply with quote

davidckane wrote:
The 1889 Hamburg ship manifest for my ancestors lists their last residence as Jagodnik. Unfortunately, there is more than one Jagodnik within Poland. I hoped the state/province might help me narrow down which Jagodnik they came from, but it it is extremely difficult to decipher. Can anyone figure it out from the attachment? Thanks!


Hi David,
The best way to figure out squirrely handwriting is to see how the writer wrote various other words, names, and place names. So, it would be really helpful if you could include an image that shows more of the page that this was written on. In fact, if you can provide a link to the ship manifest from Family Search's website, then it would be a lot easier for me or others to help you.
From what you provided, my best guess is that it says "Russl" which is an abbreviation of Russland, the German word for Russia.
Best regards,
Sophia
View user's profile
Send private message
davidckane



Joined: 4 Days ago at 7:15 am
Replies: 4

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 9:26 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I've tried to do the same already by comparing other words on the page, but failed. I also considered "Russland," but my ancestors consistently indicated on other documents that they came from the German/Prussian areas of Poland. I cannot find the manifest on Family Search, but this is the link on Ancestry if you have access to that site: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/1068/images/S_13156_080808-0141?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=105c0886dd2b9ba60ab5863332b746a6&usePUB=true&_phsrc=ebY330&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.256262155.1402393278.1622235234-1352602523.1619805697&_gac=1.152652491.1621274893.CjwKCAjwqIiFBhAHEiwANg9szjXZ_UG-seZ5e9YlLCMLQqo71aFtooGmSSuMRvyixjyqxvrK6GEwABoCASgQAvD_BwE&pId=2957566
View user's profile
Send private message
davidckane



Joined: 4 Days ago at 7:15 am
Replies: 4

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 9:37 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Hi again. I added a copy of the entire manifest to the original post. Thanks again!
View user's profile
Send private message
Sophia
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 650

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 10:22 am      Post subject:
Reply with quote

davidckane wrote:
Hi again. I added a copy of the entire manifest to the original post. Thanks again!


Hi David,
That helped a lot, posting the image, as I do not have access to Ancestry.
It is definitely Russia.
Here is their arrival manifest (see lines 6 through 9):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939V-R3SW-4H?i=427&cc=1849782&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AQVSL-JK2Q
Best regards,
Sophia

P.S. the name of the ship is the State of Nevada
View user's profile
Send private message
davidckane



Joined: 4 Days ago at 7:15 am
Replies: 4

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 12:57 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

Thanks so much. If it is Russia, then I assume my ancestors mistakenly were grouped with others from Russia as they listed many times in other documents that they originated from Germany/Prussia. With that said, having looked at the manifest for a substantial period of time, I'm not sure the letter in the middle -- which dips well down below the line -- is consistent with the word "Russland" (or the German version). I wouldn't expect such a dip given the letters in that word. Anyway, much appreciated.
View user's profile
Send private message
Sophia
PO Top Contributor


Joined: 05 Oct 2014
Replies: 650

Back to top
Post Posted: 4 Days ago at 1:23 pm      Post subject:
Reply with quote

davidckane wrote:
Thanks so much. If it is Russia, then I assume my ancestors mistakenly were grouped with others from Russia as they listed many times in other documents that they originated from Germany/Prussia. With that said, having looked at the manifest for a substantial period of time, I'm not sure the letter in the middle -- which dips well down below the line -- is consistent with the word "Russland" (or the German version). I wouldn't expect such a dip given the letters in that word. Anyway, much appreciated.


Hi David,
Actually, when there is a double S, it is very often the case that the first S does that "dip" that you describe. It is called "the long S." You have probably seen it in historical U.S. documents, such as where the word Congress looks like it is written as Congrefs.
I wish you good luck in your search,
Sophia
View user's profile
Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PolishOrigins Forum Index -> In search of relatives / Poszukiwani krewni All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB ©

© 2021 COPYRIGHTS BY THE OWNER OF POLISHORIGINS.COM